What was it like back in the day????

If u want space jams I'm pretty sure you'll have to go early... Can't wait for them... I'm getting 2pairs...

Oh and welcome to NikeTalk bro...

Originally Posted by ninjahood

depends what "back in da day " you talkin about.
Ahhh.. the good ole days. Never forgotten...but never to be seen again...

Back in the day , around my way getting jordans was the easiest thing if you got the loot for it, for real here in Mexico Jordans were as common as Chucks, somany pairs i could have gotten, thought they were gonna last forever, theres a place here named Tepito, you could get any sneaker and i mean any... i missedthose days , nowadays is all fusions and fakes if its not the same thing, i was more into nike basketball in those days, but i remember every numbered jordanbeing for sale, VIs for days, XIIs XIIIs XIs you name it snif snif man thats why I need the infras so bad, so i could close that chapter lol. The goodol´days............. word to WU.

......FeNyX.....

this is a great thread! nice to see positive people put an positive spin on a time long gone from us. as for back in the day.... og drops were uneventful andwere easy to pick up as was stated in earlier posts. between 88-96 pickups were a breeze from infrared vi's to powder ix's that i actually picked up inthe afternoon two weeks after release. carmine's were on the reduced table in good sizes because no one liked the cw. the nostalgia of having jordans wasthere but no hype. no lines to speak of that i ever experienced until the late 90's. even then, the allocations of shoes were abundant so you couldguarantee that your size was available no matter what your place in line. restocks in your local ftl were very common then. he gazes off and flashbacks to asimpler time.......

Back in the day to me was when Jordans were readily available no lines at all. In fact I remember the Jordan 1s sitting in the clearance section of my localsports store for a long time. I also remember the Xs and IXs sitting in the clearance section for a long time. I believe they were marked down to 49.99!! Istill kick myself every time I think about how much those OGs would be now. The later 90s is when it got crazy, damn how the game has changed

EDIT-I feel old when op said what it used to be like I thought he was talking about late 80's early 90's, wasn't expecting late 90's-mid00's
roll.gif
eyes.gif
tired.gif

since im an "oldman" (mid 30's) compared to some of you cats
laugh.gif

New Years Day sale 1986 or 1987 copped J's for 19.99 1's btw blue-black-/red-white-black, Big 5 sporting goods

1990 OG V's 124.99 w/part time job still out of my budget =(

threw away the 1's after right shoe had an "ollie" hole from skating back in the day, tore up left sole from skating also

I remember leavin school at lunch to copp new jays. and waking my sis up at 4am to take me to the mall be the first in line.

Kix DooD wrote:

threw away the 1's after right shoe had an "ollie" hole from skating back in the day, tore up left sole from skating also

Skatin in jays!! i used to do it too bro. now i look back like
tired.gif
when i see my old shoes..

Back in the day about 10 Years ago you could get Jordans on Wednesdays and people would skip school until lunch or miss out. But Camping wasn't heard ofcause everybody wasn't wearing Jordans then and everybody couldn't afford Jordans. But New When a New J released it was only 4 or 5 times a year andthe occasional Retro starting in 99. I remember when u could actually get Jordans on Sale a few weeks after release or they would sit forever.

Originally Posted by GeNeRaTiOnZ

EDIT-I feel old when op said what it used to be like I thought he was talking about late 80's early 90's, wasn't expecting late 90's-mid 00's
roll.gif
eyes.gif
tired.gif
I remember using my $85 birthday money to cop VI's. Kids honestly thought they could hoop better in J's, the power was that strong.

Originally Posted by TheWealth

Originally Posted by GeNeRaTiOnZ

EDIT-I feel old when op said what it used to be like I thought he was talking about late 80's early 90's, wasn't expecting late 90's-mid 00's
roll.gif
eyes.gif
tired.gif
I remember using my $85 birthday money to cop VI's. Kids honestly thought they could hoop better in J's, the power was that strong.

Everybody I played with believed it too. Back then, if you had on Jordan's, you were automatically going to be picked until you proved you were terrible.Now, if someone is wearing the newest releases, it is assumed he is terrible until proven otherwise (where I play). And when I wore my OG VI's, I know Iplayed better (sarcasm). And Kix Dood, I am right there with you on age, and the ollie holes, riding my Powell Tony Hawk iron cross.

It sucks to have to get up early and wait in line! Some people like to do it, but I absolutely hate it. Only done when there is no other option.

people still go out for the good releases..just wait for the space jams ull get a taste of it

well youngin back in the day, there were no retros.....just OG's as far as the eye could see, year after year after year. no camping, no paying overretail, no shortages.....even the hottest jay's stayed on shelves cuz folks couldn't afford them. heck as some posters have already alluded to, youcould get some jays for more than 60% off so that stores could move the inventory. they probably stayed on shelves because your average parent was not about tospend $120 on shoes for a kid. that price point was completely unheard of back then. and the kids who did get a fresh pair when they dropped were definitelyseen as rich and envied something terrible. if you have a pair of white and cement 3's with a raider or kings puffy starter coat, you were the man in cali.

Glad to see some older folks in here that remember the golden age of sneakers! You youngins missed out. Starting to collect during the Jordan XI Retro era mustof been tough and discouraging for yal, but I'm glad you guys stuck with the shoe game.

this a good topic, i can totally relate to all of this
smile.gif

my first pair of jordans were the concord 11s back in october 2000 on a wednesday. walked to to footaction after my math class and got the last 11.5. linesdidn't too crazy until the infamous cool grey 11 release. people were getting into fights and stealing other people's shoes
eek.gif

now it's getting too OD just like what the other people said. People only buy them because everyone else has it. Buy what you like basically.

who camps out for jordans though? ive heard of ppl getting up really early in the morning the day of release but as far as sitting in line for days like forthe yeezys ...what releases are these and where was this at?

Originally Posted by Rafool

Originally Posted by inglewooood

do u pay attention in class OP?
Other people don't have to camp out or anything like that because hey have "connections."
and this is pretty much what it is...i have connections so that i dont need to go out and get hassled...

-Tyler

some of yall might be confused - cause the Air Jordan Retroes of this decade generally released on saturdays - so I don't know what school/class yall wereditching to buy some newly released Jordans.

Jordans did come out in the middle of the week early in this decade like 00-03. Everyone started ditching school, work, and etc, so they decided with weekendreleases. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think after the IXs retroed is when they moved the date to saturday

Back
Top Bottom