What was your starting salary like STRAIGHT OUT OF COLLEGE?

Originally Posted by swizzc

Just graduated a few weeks ago. I have a BS in Finance. I will be starting a job as an Investment Banking Analyst in a few weeks. Base salary is 65k, I get a 10k signing bonus, and then the end of the year bonus usually has been anywhere between 20k-40k, but I'm not sure what it will be like in this economy. My end of the year bonus will DEF be on the low side of that range (i'll be happy with anything over 10k at this point). Honestly I'm just happy I have that job.
What did you do to get that job? Did you have a strong GPA?

Graduated 2008.

I had worked full-time for an insurance broker since my sophomore year and had moved up several times. I stayed there a couple of months past graduation,making decent money.

Left that for a job at one of Warren Buffett's many insurance companies (not GEICO) @ $52K.

Originally Posted by DLo13

Graduated 2008.

I had worked full-time for an insurance broker since my sophomore year and had moved up several times. I stayed there a couple of months past graduation, making decent money.

Left that for a job at one of Warren Buffett's many insurance companies (not GEICO) @ $52K.

Cool stuff man. I was just at the berkshire meeting. If you work with Ajit I'm jealous but I doubt it lol. Cool nonetheless. Graduated in May 08, took me afew months but I found a job as a financial analyst at a big corporation. 55k plus bonus. They considered my 8 month internship as a year of experience.

Originally Posted by Fede DPT

Originally Posted by jordanpinoy

any physical therapists?

Right here.

06' - business administration

$150k+ when i was doing real estate/being a broker

07' - resp. therapy

$120k

How do you make $120k? I dont know any that make over 55k.

NICU RTs are making $50/hr starting pay (choc in orange, ca). pick up an extra shift, and not only do some hospitals offer double OT (especially if youre oncall, since they dont want to get registry) but they offer $500 bonuses on top of it. (example: hoag hospital in newport beach; $280 bonus ammc) there'salso the sign on bonus, anywhere from $5k-$10k.
RT directors dont even make this much because they are salary capped. if you got a bachelor's degree, you could go into sales and make even more money($150k+ as a mossimo sales rep)...

just because the economy is in recession, doesnt mean that the medical field is affected by it - people always get sick. as a matter of fact, RNs, MDs, andother medical services have money to burn. that is where my real estate expertise comes into place because im selling them properties as well...

Originally Posted by Emmanuel Goldstein

Originally Posted by The Rat Pack Is Back

Originally Posted by Sha77er S7ar I

06' - business administration

$150k+ when i was doing real estate/being a broker

07' - resp. therapy

$120k
how did you make the switch to that with a business admin degree?

here's whats really gonna rub salt in your wounds though. while yalls think that a bachelors degree is cutting it, RT/RNs are finishing a 2 yr course(associates in science) and making six figures than those who went to a 4 yr school. but the bigger advantage is for an RN, who wants to pursue a BS or even aMS in nursing, making upwards to $200k/year easily.
but really, its not for everyone, if you in it for the money, it might be a motivating force but you gotta find your niche. some make their money by doingpatient care or managing a unit/hospital itself. like most work places, theres a lot of politics, especially since youll be dealing with various hospitalpolicy and procedures, MDs, contracted/outsourced services, and the staff...not factor the stated fact that it is who you know and not what you know, and youllcapitalize on that end as well. crazy.

Originally Posted by illwill8710

Originally Posted by LILAFROMFTL

Graduated 2007
B.S. in Electrical Engineering
Interned 3 summers before graduating
Starting salary $60,000 = $56,000 (base salary) + $4,000 (signing bonus)

Currently making $183K
Working as a field rep for my company in Iraq
Pursing M.S. in Electrical Engineering
I'm not out yet but I'm in the same position for E.E.

I want to ask for about the same starting salary.

What field of E.E did you start in? Controls, Power, Systems, Communications, etc

and do you have any tips on how to get into those 100K positions?

I started as a Reliability Engineer.
My team does failure analysis, failure predictions, MTBF, FRACAS, BIT (built-in tests), safety requirements, and a bunch more.
I worked more in the "power" and "systems" area.

Becoming a Field Engineer out of school may be difficult. You first need to become an expert on the system before they sent out to the field.

A friend at work told me about the field engineer position. I spoke with the manager who posted the opening. I talked it over with my wife and gave the managermy resume the next day.
That's how I got this job. I do have experience in the communication field and that may have helped with their decision of choosing me.
My company likes to move employees around and to expose them to different areas. After I'm done here (2013), I go back to being a Reliabilty Engineer.

If you're still in school, I would highly recommend trying to obtain an internship as a Electrical, System, Test, Computer, or Software Engineer.
My good friend and I both graduated at the same time with the same GPA, but it took him 1 YEAR to find work. I think that was because he had no internshipexperience.
As a new-hire don't concentrate so much on the starting salary. Develop your analysis/designing/testing skills. The money will eventually come.
Having programming skills is a huge plus for an EE. I think there are a shortage of Software and System Engineers.
Also having a Master's degree can add $10K to $15K to your salary per year.

Its tough out there. I do believe that things will be getting better soon. In the seattle are home prices have begun to creep back up and jobs are sure tofollow.

Originally Posted by illwill8710

Graduated 2007
B.S. in Electrical Engineering
Interned 3 summers before graduating
Starting salary $60,000 = $56,000 (base salary) + $4,000 (signing bonus)

Currently making $183K
Working as a field rep for my company in Iraq
Pursing M.S. in Electrical Engineering
I'm not out yet but I'm in the same position for E.E.

I want to ask for about the same starting salary.

What field of E.E did you start in? Controls, Power, Systems, Communications, etc

and do you have any tips on how to get into those 100K positions?

I started as a Reliability Engineer.
My team does failure analysis, failure predictions, MTBF, FRACAS, BIT (built-in tests), safety requirements, and a bunch more.
I worked more in the "power" and "systems" area.

Becoming a Field Engineer out of school may be difficult. You first need to become an expert on the system before they sent out to the field.

A friend at work told me about the field engineer position. I spoke with the manager who posted the opening. I talked it over with my wife and gave the manager my resume the next day.
That's how I got this job. I do have experience in the communication field and that may have helped with their decision of choosing me.
My company likes to move employees around and to expose them to different areas. After I'm done here (2013), I go back to being a Reliabilty Engineer.

If you're still in school, I would highly recommend trying to obtain an internship as a Electrical, System, Test, Computer, or Software Engineer.
My good friend and I both graduated at the same time with the same GPA, but it took him 1 YEAR to find work. I think that was because he had no internship experience.
As a new-hire don't concentrate so much on the starting salary. Develop your analysis/designing/testing skills. The money will eventually come.
Having programming skills is a huge plus for an EE. I think there are a shortage of Software and System Engineers.
Also having a Master's degree can add $10K to $15K to your salary per year.
Thanks for all these good tips as I will be going to school for electrical engineering.
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

So you said to learn some software engineering cool

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Originally Posted by letsgetit22

Originally Posted by Rapsteady1

Graduated at CSUF B.S. Biochem '04

Worked as a pharmacy technician (Irvine/Anaheim)

Graduated at UCI School of Medicine c/o '08

Currently completing residency

Making a lousy 60k a year (I work 60+ hours a week at times)

In 3-5 years I'll be making anywhere from 300-500k.
what kind of doctor are you?
Yea what is your residency is?......I wanna do Orthopedic surgery/or Forensic Pathology
FYI you are NOT going to get paid $350,000 as a forensic pathologist fresh out of school
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by AbominalSnowman

B.A. in Sociology, havn't found a job yet. Working at a doctor's office doin office work. 35k.
frown.gif
This is why you should be careful when considering what to major in.

Originally Posted by dendanskesimon

i havent graduated

but i know a dude whos 26 and a hedgefund manager makin over a MILL A YEAR
That's crazy. How many hours does he work a week?

Originally Posted by abwowang

"Work your hardest and if what you deserve doesnt come to you - go find it. "

The problem with that right now is... theres no one hiring anymore.

I graduated in 2007 with a Business Mgmt Degree and an English Degree.
I'm a Recruiter in Seattle area.
roughly $50k my first year.

but honestly... good luck to everyone thats searching for a job right now.
recruiter for what if i may ask? fellow seattle graduate here....
wink.gif

I'm a poli sci major going into my sophomore year in the fall. When I get back to school, I want to take up Philosophy as a dual major because I find thesubject matter intriguing; plus law schools supposedly like it as a major.

But lately I've been taking an interest in economics. The stock market and how it works is just an amazing thing to me. What's a good major for thisfield?

I was thinking about switching from a poli sci major to a poli sci minor, then taking on the best econ subject as a major. Any advice? I want to go to lawschool and one day practice corporate law, but I wouldn't mind trying my hand on wall street. Any advice?

Originally Posted by iBlink

But lately I've been taking an interest in economics. The stock market and how it works is just an amazing thing to me. What's a good major for this field?
Economics
wink.gif

I'm thinking about majoring in this too, but I need to know what kind of jobs I can land with it first. Gotta talk to an adviser on Monday to find out some!+@*.

Anyone on here with an English degree? I'm also thinking of declaring that for an undergrad major...

Originally Posted by oillusiveo

48k, UC Davis, Business - 2006, Job in Santa Clara - Treasury Associate
Did you major in Managerial Economics or Economics at UCD? (I'm a third year)

Originally Posted by 18key

But lately I've been taking an interest in economics. The stock market and how it works is just an amazing thing to me. What's a good major for this field?
Economics
wink.gif

I'm thinking about majoring in this too, but I need to know what kind of jobs I can land with it first. Gotta talk to an adviser on Monday to find out some !+@*.
Yeah, I don't know what knid of jobs an economics degree can land me though.

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

Originally Posted by xcg11pinoYx

IT Postions

Just graduated this month with a BS in Computer Information Systems.

been looking for a job ever since and still no call/e-mail back. I really want to get into Network Security since that was what I was more interested in out of my core classes. Also, Ethical Hacking is another good subject I learned a lot about. I'm still trying to find direction but still no luck. I'm in the DC Metro area. Systems Analysts, Entry Level Network Admins..it's tough right now
frown.gif
Good Luck man
frown.gif
damn, hopefully it gets easier when I graduate with a CIS degree in 3 years.
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by 18key

Economics
wink.gif

I'm thinking about majoring in this too, but I need to know what kind of jobs I can land with it first. Gotta talk to an adviser on Monday to find out some !+@*.
Yeah, I don't know what knid of jobs an economics degree can land me though.

i also would like to know the answer to this question

Originally Posted by ThaPeoplesChamp

this is what i never understood...and this doesnt apply to all but...

i gotta friend who went to school for like 6yrs...
graduated and now makes like 35k and will probably top out at
45k a yr....

i found a gig and ran with it and was making that while he was in school...
i mean... whats the deal?
There's a lot of factors to consider. First of all, his major. Maybe his major is relatively weak so he can't command a good salary.Second of all, maybe his GPA and school weren't that good. Also, maybe he didn't do any internships or relevant work experience while going to school.

Originally Posted by ballinamillion1

Originally Posted by TD The God

40K, U of New Hampshire, Mech Engineering - 2004, Worked for a Engineering Consulting firm as a
Purchaser
damn arent engineers supposed to be one of the highest if not the highest out of undergrad ? I'm glad I'm doing CE Ive been hearing ME is hurtin especially with all the auto field  problems at least.

Engineers generally are highest starting right out of college but it depends on degree, and who u work for. CEs are genereally the lowest paid engineers. Top engineers are ee (like myself) and chem engr( which can be close to 90k). Even with an ee degree, if you work for a small company, expect small pay especially in this economy...

Btw I'm still in college for ee. Got 1 yr left.

Back
Top Bottom