What's the Easiest Sport?

Originally Posted by JumpmanJordanAddict89

laugh.gif
at Soccer Fans getting mad. Soccer Sucks
laugh.gif
Fat guys swinging sticks is cool
laugh.gif
j/k

Durden, I'm not confusing anything...look at my very first sentence.

If we're going to talk about the beginner level, I will still argue that soccer is far from the easiest. Anyone can kick a ball at the beginner level but almost no one at the beginner level has the coordination to kick the ball accurately or to dribble with the ball. There are far easier beginner sports. Football and baseball are easier beginner sports than soccer. At the beginner level, you just need 1 guy that can throw a spiral and then the rest of the players try to catch the ball. At the beginner level in baseball, you just need 1 guy that can throw the ball and then everyone else takes swings at it.

Check this video out (on mute)...he's just 'kicking a ball'...

Originally Posted by franchise3

In soccer, you could very well be one on one, on an island, trying to defend somebody dribbling going to kick for a goal. Good luck trying to keep up.

In basketball at least if you get beat off the dribble, the defense can collapse and you could get bailed out.

Can't be soccer. See: Carlos's post

Thats just a bad example. You most certainly can get beat in a 1 on 1 fast break in basketball.

soccer and basketball are the easiest mainstream sports to get a grasp of.

Can it, soccer fans.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
j/k

If we're going to talk about the beginner level, I will still argue that soccer is far from the easiest. Anyone can kick a ball at the beginner level but almost no one at the beginner level has the coordination to kick the ball accurately or to dribble with the ball. There are far easier beginner sports. Football and baseball are easier beginner sports than soccer. At the beginner level, you just need 1 guy that can throw a spiral and then the rest of the players try to catch the ball. At the beginner level in baseball, you just need 1 guy that can throw the ball and then everyone else takes swings at it.

Ok, heres a scenario to illustrate my point. If you had X number of people (X being an appropriate number of people for the sport) and access to every piece of equipment needed and any field surface, what sport would you play?  The people involved are of different ages, skill levels (some are athletic, some arent even close to athletic), and have different backgrounds in athletics.  You have to find a sport that everyone can play and it will still be slighlty competitive and fun for everyone involved.  What sport is chosen.  (The easiest sport has to be chosen because of the people involved)  The easiest sport to play is soccer.

Again, it isnt an EASY sport, but in terms of all the sports together it is the easiest.  It requires the least amount of skill and biomechanic functioning to be moderately competitive.

Biomechanically soccer is simply kicking and running.

Why would you try to have me watch a video of a professional player when professional athletes have nothing to do with the question?  This isnt about being great at a sport, its simply about playing it.

Originally Posted by marionthebarberian

Originally Posted by Noskey

making a left-footed cross even though you're right footed...

Made the best cross I've ever done with my left foot
pimp.gif
I was hyped for the rest of the day after I did it
laugh.gif

I remember I made a goal from about 30 yards out with my left foot, almost immediately after I made it I asked coach to take me out for I wont ruin the rest of my week.
pimp.gif

I remember my first goal ever was left footed. We were down 2-0 in a game, I was playing D and we were desperate for a goal...I ran up and went unmarked since I was a defender...got the ball, ran in 1 on 1 against the keeper and slotted it home with my left foot. We ended up losing 3-1 but I didnt give a damn.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Noskey

making a left-footed cross even though you're right footed...

Made the best cross I've ever done with my left foot
pimp.gif
I was hyped for the rest of the day after I did it
laugh.gif

I remember I made a goal from about 30 yards out with my left foot, almost immediately after I made it I asked coach to take me out for I wont ruin the rest of my week.
pimp.gif

I remember my first goal ever was left footed. We were down 2-0 in a game, I was playing D and we were desperate for a goal...I ran up and went unmarked since I was a defender...got the ball, ran in 1 on 1 against the keeper and slotted it home with my left foot. We ended up losing 3-1 but I didnt give a damn.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Durden7

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
j/k

Ok, heres a scenario to illustrate my point. If you had X number of people (X being an appropriate number of people for the sport) and access to every piece of equipment needed and any field surface, what sport would you play?  The people involved are of different ages, skill levels (some are athletic, some arent even close to athletic), and have different backgrounds in athletics.  You have to find a sport that everyone can play and it will still be slighlty competitive and fun for everyone involved.  What sport is chosen.  (The easiest sport has to be chosen because of the people involved)  The easiest sport to play is soccer.

Again, it isnt an EASY sport, but in terms of all the sports together it is the easiest.  It requires the least amount of skill and biomechanic functioning to be moderately competitive.

Biomechanically soccer is simply kicking and running.

Why would you try to have me watch a video of a professional player when professional athletes have nothing to do with the question?  This isnt about being great at a sport, its simply about playing it.

These soccer enthusiasts seem to be missing the fact that no one who said soccer was the easiest, said it was easy.  Soccer is the easiest sport.  What is easier?

I must re-iterate this...if you think soccer is the easiest sport then you are sadly mistaken.

There are many aspects of soccer that make it a difficult sport.

First of all, its much more difficult to handle a ball with your feet than it is with your hands (like in football, basketball, soccer...even hockey you control the puck using your hands).

Secondly, soccer is pretty much the only sport where you are required to use both your strong leg and weak leg. In basketball if you are right-handed, you never have to shoot with your left...in baseball you swing and throw with your dominant arm...in football you throw with your dominant arm...in hockey you pass/shoot with your dominant arm doing most of the work. In soccer you must be able to dribble, pass and shoot with both feet.

Third, people often overlook the importance of off-ball movement in soccer. Soccer is all about moving into the correct position on the pitch without the ball and then making something happen when you get it. The best players (whether you're playing with friends or professionally) are usually the smartest players, not necessarily the most athletic. They know where the ball is going to go and they have the skill to do whatever they want with the ball. I like the Wayne Gretzky quote where he says something like "A good hockey player knows where the puck is but a great hockey player knows where the puck is going to be". The same goes with soccer...this type of intuitive skill is very rare and only the best players have it.

Co-sign to all of that.

Basketball is my main team sport, the only one I played at a varsity level in HS (I mostly like outdoor, ocean sports like kayaking or surfing or martial arts like kendo); however, I played some youth soccer and to mix it up I will sometimes run with the Mexican dudes at the park in pickup games (only on weekday evenings, you need serious skills to run with piasos on the weekend) and it is physically demanding; it requires physical coordination; fine motor skills; very specialized and unnatural skills, that must be learned and finally, great teamwork.

no one mentioned swimming? I'm not talking swimming competitively. Just knowing how to swim a few laps is pretty simple.

LOL at guys saying Soccer is easy.

IMO as much as i love basketball, i think it is the easiest sport to play.
You can play basketball anywhere, anytime, and with anyone.

Its way more accessible to people in general, and all you need are some shoes, shorts, and a basket and your good.
Being good, or competing is another topic of discussion, if your taking about the easiest sport to just pick up and play, it has to be hands down basketball.

We can argue back in forth about the skills you need to play each and every sport in a competitive level, but tell me basketball ain't easy to pick up on?

Originally Posted by SWOBOYdeHTEEZY

Baseball.

even though I hit a walk off 3 run homer against skyline
pimp.gif
, baseball is far from the easiest, its actually the top 3 hardest sports i have played.

Easiest for just anybody to try and play? Easily Basketball. I mean, just catch and shoot, catch and shoot (word to Pacman)

Easiest professionally? Mmmmm... bowling?

At the beginner level, you just need 1 guy that can throw a spiral and then the rest of the players try to catch the ball. At the beginner level in baseball, you just need 1 guy that can throw the ball and then everyone else takes swings at it.

How are you going to fight the dumbing down of soccer, by dumbing down another sport.

I always laugh at dudes that I take to batting cages thinking it's easy to hit anything over 60 mph.  That's right I said 60 mph, they can't do it.  It's funny though.

That's without taking them to the field.  Say you have never played defense.  You think it will be easy to field a ground ball, a line drive, hell even routine pop fly's can give experienced players some trouble.

You think you can come fresh off the street and see a screaming line drive off a baseball bat....
laugh.gif

You can talk all the %%$# you want about fat dudes playing baseball (fatter guys play football, FYI, just look up those Andre Smith and Terrence Cody combine pics
laugh.gif
), it takes A LOT of skill.

Going to the cages =/= playing baseball. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Night Marcher01

Easiest for just anybody to try and play? Easily Basketball. I mean, just catch and shoot, catch and shoot (word to Pacman)

Easiest professionally? Mmmmm... bowling?
No.

I've bowled in leagues since I was a kid, and the best I could average was a 175. My buddy averages about 205-210. That can't even sniff professional.

Oil patterns, technique, release, strength, and ball all play a major role. You just don't throw the ball in the same area and expect the same result. There's a lot of adjusment in regards to the boards on the floor, aim on the arrows, and technique.

Originally Posted by NomadicSole21

LOL at guys saying Soccer is easy.

IMO as much as i love basketball, i think it is the easiest sport to play.
You can play basketball anywhere, anytime, and with anyone.

Its way more accessible to people in general, and all you need are some shoes, shorts, and a basket and your good.
Being good, or competing is another topic of discussion, if your taking about the easiest sport to just pick up and play, it has to be hands down basketball.
Soccer is far easier to play with minimal supplies.  You really only need a ball, that's it.  You can make a goal out of anything, trees, garbage cans, etc.  And you play on grass as well, compared to needing a hard surface in order to play basketball.

The topic hasn't been properly defined either, are we talking easiest to teach someone to play?  Easiest to learn and become an average player? Easiest to master?

I feel like a lot of people who are saying soccer never played it, even casually or follow the sport.  And simply saying "it's just kicking" is the same as saying to throw different pitch types and at different speeds "is just throwing" for a pitcher... there's a lot more skill involved than a simple action.

^ yeah I know it's not easy, that's why I put a ?. I think no sport is easy, but it is less difficult to play than Soccer, Football, Baseball etc.

^
Of course, almost every sport isn't difficult to play, if you take it from a leisure stand point and just for flat out fun.

But when you raise the level of competition and at least put it at an amateur level, it won't be as easy as thought.

Originally Posted by SWOBOYdeHTEEZY

Baseball.

even though I hit a walk off 3 run homer against skyline
pimp.gif
, baseball is far from the easiest, its actually the top 3 hardest sports i have played.
Same. It's the only major sport I could never be good at
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom