What's the Easiest Sport?

curling.jpg

no more of these in winter olympic please

Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by trey ohh five

Durden I'm not bitter and I wasn't trying to make fun of you I was just pointing out that your description of the sport is very simplified and flawed and is an indication of how much you truly know about the sport. For someone who has played soccer for almost their entire life as I have the fact that you continue to ignore every other factor that makes the sport as beautiful and as popular as it is worldwide makes you sound like a typical ignorant American that dismisses soccer as a competitive sport to compensate for the fact that they could never conquer it. Using your point of view I can describe Baseball as merely swinging a wooden object to hit a ball. Football as merely throwing, catching, and running with a ball. Basketball as merely trying to get a ball through a hoop. You see where I'm going with this? Any sport can be made to sound like a piece of cake with these types of flawed descriptions. Another thing is that your idea of recreation will also make any sport seem very easy. Obviously if you get a group of guys together that have never played a certain sport that sport is going to seem easy to them, but that goes for any sport not just soccer and it really isn't a realistic scenario at all. No sport is easier than another, every sport has certain specific technicalities that are taught and must be respected by athletes of every other sport, not mocked.
Its difficult to get through to people such as you and the others who are defending soccer so religiously because youve been playing it for your whole life.  You have a biased viewpoint of the sport.  Ive never said it wasnt competitive or a difficult sport to become great.  Ive always said that its the easiest sport to acquire the BASIC skills.

Please use my viewpoint for other sports and youll see what im trying to say.  Baseball isnt just hitting a ball.  It also requires catching the ball and throwing the ball.  No matter what position youre in its a vital part of the game.  Football is catching, running, and throwing the ball, but thats still more skills than kicking.  Basketball involves dribbling (more of a necessity as compared to soccer), catching, and shooting.  Soccer is kicking.

Its not a flawed description.  Its a basic, broken-down view of the sport as a whole.  Im not trying to make it sound like anyone can be great at it, but with a few (or just one) skill you can still be somewhat competitive and play.

You think im mocking soccer?  That couldnt be any farther from the truth.  You might love the sport, but please dont confuse facts with people hating the sport.  I dont hate soccer.  It simply is the sport that requires the fewest amount of skills in order to play.

I don't get how you can keep saying this stuff. You continue to say "soccer is just kicking" as if there is nothing else to it, but we're not allowed to say football is just throwing? Baseball is just hitting? Basketball is just dribbling? I'm leaving out important things right? Its the same thing for soccer.Your leaving out basics such as trapping (with your feet and chest) and controlling a ball while running or trying to get past someone, hitting it in the right spot and putting the perfect weight on it. If you can't do any of that your NOT good at soccer. Period.

Originally Posted by Oskar Kokoshka

Durden I'm not bitter and I wasn't trying to make fun of you I was just pointing out that your description of the sport is very simplified and flawed and is an indication of how much you truly know about the sport. For someone who has played soccer for almost their entire life as I have the fact that you continue to ignore every other factor that makes the sport as beautiful and as popular as it is worldwide makes you sound like a typical ignorant American that dismisses soccer as a competitive sport to compensate for the fact that they could never conquer it. Using your point of view I can describe Baseball as merely swinging a wooden object to hit a ball. Football as merely throwing, catching, and running with a ball. Basketball as merely trying to get a ball through a hoop. You see where I'm going with this? Any sport can be made to sound like a piece of cake with these types of flawed descriptions. Another thing is that your idea of recreation will also make any sport seem very easy. Obviously if you get a group of guys together that have never played a certain sport that sport is going to seem easy to them, but that goes for any sport not just soccer and it really isn't a realistic scenario at all. No sport is easier than another, every sport has certain specific technicalities that are taught and must be respected by athletes of every other sport, not mocked.
Its difficult to get through to people such as you and the others who are defending soccer so religiously because youve been playing it for your whole life.  You have a biased viewpoint of the sport.  Ive never said it wasnt competitive or a difficult sport to become great.  Ive always said that its the easiest sport to acquire the BASIC skills.

Please use my viewpoint for other sports and youll see what im trying to say.  Baseball isnt just hitting a ball.  It also requires catching the ball and throwing the ball.  No matter what position youre in its a vital part of the game.  Football is catching, running, and throwing the ball, but thats still more skills than kicking.  Basketball involves dribbling (more of a necessity as compared to soccer), catching, and shooting.  Soccer is kicking.

Its not a flawed description.  Its a basic, broken-down view of the sport as a whole.  Im not trying to make it sound like anyone can be great at it, but with a few (or just one) skill you can still be somewhat competitive and play.

You think im mocking soccer?  That couldnt be any farther from the truth.  You might love the sport, but please dont confuse facts with people hating the sport.  I dont hate soccer.  It simply is the sport that requires the fewest amount of skills in order to play.

I don't get how you can keep saying this stuff. You continue to say "soccer is just kicking" as if there is nothing else to it, but we're not allowed to say football is just throwing? Baseball is just hitting? Basketball is just dribbling? I'm leaving out important things right? Its the same thing for soccer.Your leaving out basics such as trapping (with your feet and chest) and controlling a ball while running or trying to get past someone, hitting it in the right spot and putting the perfect weight on it. If you can't do any of that your NOT good at soccer. Period.
Exactly I'm going to break down what he just said for you ignorant folks that don't know a thing about the sport. Trapping is properly cradling and stopping a ball moving towards you in the air or on the ground with either your foot or your chest, if you can't do this then the ball will either go out of bounds or to a player on the other team. Controlling the ball while running is called dribbling and while it might seem easy to do try running full speed and keeping the ball as close to your feet as possible so the defender can't take it away from you. And hitting the ball in the right spot ensures the perfect definition so your shot is practically unreachable by the goalkeeper or so your cross goes exactly where you want it to go. So if you can't do any of these things you basically can't keep the ball in play, keep the ball away from players of the other team, make plays on offense, and you can't score goals, does that sound competitive to you? Not at all. And there's even more to soccer than this like headers, slide tackling without fouling the other player, etc.

Originally Posted by Oskar Kokoshka

Please direct me to where I said anything about being "good" at the sport.

I dont know how many times it needs to be said....but NO ONE said soccer was easy. It is simply the easiest to play at a LOW level. If you took a group of people who have never played ANY sports before, there is NO DOUBT in my mind that this group of people would be able to play soccer more competitively than any other sport.

And Carlos, I played soccer in HS, so try to find a different way of discounting my posts.

I been following this thread and I think I finally get what Durden7 is tryna say..

If you take a group of 5 year old's....which sport would you teach them first? 

That's basically the point of his whole argument.  Soccer is simply the sport with the least amount of motor skills to be learned. 

At the basic level...soccer is just kicking.  Obviously, when you get older and you want to get better, THEN you add all the stuff about knowing where on the foot do you kick the ball, all that stuff. 

Soccer is a hard sport to master...like any other sport.  But it's the first sport that a teacher might want to introduce to his kindergarten students before moving on to other sports where more body mechanics are involved. 

Originally Posted by dland24

All of you saying that soccer is the easiest sport need to leave your towns where soccer is practically nonexistent and come down to Miami and play at a recreational level against some South Americans who are far from pros. You'll all get dogged and laughed off of the field, the soccer that you've played with your friends at the park isn't soccer, what you describe to be moderately good isn't good at all. Durden you say it's just kicking but you're probably the type that thinks you can just blast it into the goal with no effort, I guarantee that if you shot at a goal with a goalkeeper 10 times from outside of the penalty box you would make it maybe once if you got lucky, that's not moderately good at all.

So you are trying to say that because some of us who havent played soccer since high school would get schooled at a high level recreational level in Miami against some good South American players?  Come on bro.  We are talking about the most difficult sport in general. 

Bottom line, is if you are athletic and have good coordination, you are a good soccer player.  The same cannot be said about the other sports.  
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

dland24 just took the cake for most remedial statement made in the thread, and there are some gems in here.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

All of you saying that soccer is the easiest sport need to leave your towns where soccer is practically nonexistent and come down to Miami and play at a recreational level against some South Americans who are far from pros. You'll all get dogged and laughed off of the field, the soccer that you've played with your friends at the park isn't soccer, what you describe to be moderately good isn't good at all. Durden you say it's just kicking but you're probably the type that thinks you can just blast it into the goal with no effort, I guarantee that if you shot at a goal with a goalkeeper 10 times from outside of the penalty box you would make it maybe once if you got lucky, that's not moderately good at all.

So you are trying to say that because some of us who havent played soccer since high school would get schooled at a high level recreational level in Miami against some good South American players?  Come on bro.  We are talking about the most difficult sport in general. 

Bottom line, is if you are athletic and have good coordination, you are a good soccer player.  The same cannot be said about the other sports.  
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

dland24 just took the cake for most remedial statement made in the thread, and there are some gems in here.

Tell me this.  You have a group of people who are very athletic, but have never played soccer before.  Would those athletic people be able to hold their own on, lets say a junior varsity soccer team?  I say yes.  They obviously wont be the best, but these athletic players would be able to hang.

Take a similar group of very athletic people, but have never played baseball before.  Would those athletic people be able to hold their own on, lets say a junior varsity baseball team?  I say absolutely not.  No chance.

So now, going back to my original statement, if you are athletic and coordinated, you can be a good soccer player.  The same cannot be said for other sports.  How in the hell is that the most remedial statement in the thread, let alone even being wrong.

Like many people have already expressed, it's pointless trying to communicate this to people who know nothing about playing soccer but what the hell.

Tellme this.  You have a group of people who are very athletic, but havenever played soccer before.  Would those athletic people be able tohold their own on, lets say a junior varsity soccer team?  I say yes. They obviously wont be the best, but these athletic players would beable to hang.

No they wouldn't.  Even on a Jr. Varsity soccer team, they would be embarrassed.  You throw Reggie Bush, an elite human athlete, into a Jr. Varsity level high school game, assuming he's never played soccer before, he's not going to be good by any means.  He's actually going to have a profound negative impact on his squad. He'll out compete everyone physically but simply put, everyone watching is going to know he's never played before. Also, it's worth noting that the disparity in skill between an average high school soccer player and a professional soccer player is FAR greater than the disparity in skill between an average high school level basketball player and a professional one. Same goes for football and baseball.

Takea similar group of very athletic people, but have never played baseballbefore.  Would those athletic people be able to hold their own on, letssay a junior varsity baseball team?  I say absolutely not.  No chance.

You're right, absolutely not a chance in hell.  Reggie's going 0-4 and god forbid a ball comes to him he's not making a play. I'm guessing you understand the sport of baseball better than you understand soccer so you know why this is true.

Sonow, going back to my original statement, if you are athletic andcoordinated, you can be a good soccer player.  The same cannot be saidfor other sports.  How in the hell is that the most remedial statementin the thread, let alone even being wrong.

Remedial was the wrong word and not necessary, but you're very very very wrong. Of course if you're athletic and coordinated you [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]CAN[/color] be a good soccer player, same goes for [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]ANY[/color] sport. You're original statement was that if you're athletic you [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]ARE[/color] a good soccer player which is absolutely hilarious. I'll let you know something, in soccer no matter what level, the most athletic player is NEVER the best player on the field and a lot of times, you'll find him riding the bench.

grin.gif
 To those saying football is the easiest sport to pick up, try having a girl (or European for that matter) throw/catch a football.
laugh.gif

The act of throwing/catching is taken for granted only b/c most guys on here learned how to do it from a young age.

Anywho, in regards to the easiest sport it's not even close:

pimp.gif

Like many people have already expressed, it's pointless trying to communicate this to people who know nothing about playing soccer but what the hell.

Tellme this.  You have a group of people who are very athletic, but havenever played soccer before.  Would those athletic people be able tohold their own on, lets say a junior varsity soccer team?  I say yes. They obviously wont be the best, but these athletic players would beable to hang.

No they wouldn't.  Even on a Jr. Varsity soccer team, they would be embarrassed.  You throw Reggie Bush, an elite human athlete, into a Jr. Varsity level high school game, assuming he's never played soccer before, he's not going to be good by any means.  He's actually going to have a profound negative impact on his squad. He'll out compete everyone physically but simply put, everyone watching is going to know he's never played before. Also, it's worth noting that the disparity in skill between an average high school soccer player and a professional soccer player is FAR greater than the disparity in skill between an average high school level basketball player and a professional one. Same goes for football and baseball.

Takea similar group of very athletic people, but have never played baseballbefore.  Would those athletic people be able to hold their own on, letssay a junior varsity baseball team?  I say absolutely not.  No chance.

You're right, absolutely not a chance in hell.  Reggie's going 0-4 and god forbid a ball comes to him he's not making a play. I'm guessing you understand the sport of baseball better than you understand soccer so you know why this is true.

Sonow, going back to my original statement, if you are athletic andcoordinated, you can be a good soccer player.  The same cannot be saidfor other sports.  How in the hell is that the most remedial statementin the thread, let alone even being wrong.

Remedial was the wrong word and not necessary, but you're very very very wrong. Of course if you're athletic and coordinated you [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]CAN[/color] be a good soccer player, same goes for [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]ANY[/color] sport. You're original statement was that if you're athletic you [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]ARE[/color] a good soccer player which is absolutely hilarious. I'll let you know something, in soccer no matter what level, the most athletic player is NEVER the best player on the field and a lot of times, you'll find him riding the bench.
Well, those people that you speak of that no nothing about soccer is absolutely 100% not me, seeing as how I played all 4 years in high school.  In fact, its actually funny to me that you tell me that theres no chance in hell that an athletic person who never played soccer before couldnt hang on a Junior Varsity team, because that sure as hell was the case on my jv team.  A kid who was a WR on our football team was convinced to play soccer because he was fast.  Sure enough, by midseason, this kid was starting on a team that won our league.  
And what the hell does your comparison of the difference between high school players and professionals of different sports have anything to do with the conversation?  Myself and Durden have already stated on numerous occasion that we are talking about BASIC soccer skills.  BASIC.  BASIC.  We are not talking about professionals.  We are talking about Tom, !@!+ and Harry who wants to casually play a sport.

Well, those people that you speak of that no nothing about soccer is absolutely 100% not me, seeing as how I played all 4 years in high school.  In fact, its actually funny to me that you tell me that theres no chance in hell that an athletic person who never played soccer before couldnt hang on a Junior Varsity team, because that sure as hell was the case on my jv team.  A kid who was a WR on our football team was convinced to play soccer because he was fast.  Sure enough, by midseason, this kid was starting on a team that won our league.  
And what the hell does your comparison of the difference between high school players and professionals of different sports have anything to do with the conversation?  Myself and Durden have already stated on numerous occasion that we are talking about BASIC soccer skills.  BASIC.  BASIC.  We are not talking about professionals.  We are talking about Tom, !@!+ and Harry who wants to casually play a sport.
The conversation transitioned from BASIC skill to GOOD when YOU stated that any coordinated athlete IS a good soccer player. 

No the difference in skill between high school athletes and professional ones doesn't directly tie with the topic at hand but as I said earlier I felt it was worth mentioning.

As for you and your friend, are you sure that he never played in his life?  Not to mention, you say he was starting by mid season, that's months of practice that discredits your argument.

Another irrelevant fact, the most common athlete conversion in high school sports is ALWAYS basketball toootball.

The conversation transitioned from BASIC skill to GOOD when YOU stated that any coordinated athlete IS a good soccer player. 
As for you and your friend, are you sure that he never played in his life?  Not to mention, you say he was starting by mid season, that's months of practice that discredits your argument.

Regardless of whether or not that I transitioned the argument from basic skill to good, you soccer enthusiasts disagreed with us saying that soccer was the easiest on a low level. 
And my friend starting by midseason doesnt discredit my argument what so ever.  The fact that he was even able to MAKE a JV team having never played the sport before, pretty much shows that at low levels, all you really need is to be a good athlete

Regardless of whether or not that I transitioned the argument from basic skill to good, you soccer enthusiasts disagreed with us saying that soccer was the easiest on a low level. 
And my friend starting by midseason doesnt discredit my argument what so ever.  The fact that he was even able to MAKE a JV team having never played the sport before, pretty much shows that at low levels, all you really need is to be a good athlete
laugh.gif
at "you soccer enthusiasts."  I offered absolutely zero input in that debate.

I don't know where you from but I wasn't even aware that JV had cuts.  Of course he made the team.

These are my points, if you disagree we can continue this.  All you really need to be is a good athlete to succeed at any sport at a low level.  That being said, your argument that any good athlete is a good soccer player, and that any good athlete who's never played the sport before can jump in to a game at the JV level and compete is laughable.

laugh.gif
at "you soccer enthusiasts."  I offered absolutely zero input in that debate.

I don't know where you from but I wasn't even aware that JV had cuts.  Of course he made the team.

These are my points, if you disagree we can continue this.  All you really need to be is a good athlete to succeed at any sport at a low level.  That being said, your argument that any good athlete is a good soccer player, and that any good athlete who's never played the sport before can jump in to a game at the JV level and compete is laughable.
We can agree to disagree if you want.  But the fact of the matter is a good athlete that has never played soccer before HAS jumped in at the jv level and competed.  And yes JV makes cuts.  You serious?  
As someone who has played pretty much all competitive team sports, my opinion is that soccer is hands down the easiest.  Yes there are many intricacies of the sport which make it very difficult at higher levels,  but in simplest terms of which sport requires the least amount of skill, its soccer.

We can agree to disagree if you want.  But the fact of the matter is a good athlete that has never played soccer before HAS jumped in at the jv level and competed.  And yes JV makes cuts.  You serious?  
As someone who has played pretty much all competitive team sports, my opinion is that soccer is hands down the easiest.  Yes there are many intricacies of the sport which make it very difficult at higher levels,  but in simplest terms of which sport requires the least amount of skill, its soccer.

The fact of the matter is, you're wrong in thinking any good athlete is a good soccer player.
laugh.gif

I played football and basketball at the varsity level in HS and neither are easy. You cant just take a big/fat kid and make him a good lineman or power forward. These soccer fans defend their sport, and they are right to do so, but they put down another sport. For the guy who was talking about the good south americans, how many of them would compete in a pick up basketball game at the local gym or a tackle football game against decent competition?

I think Durden7 was trying to say at the most basic level soccer is easier. Not against skilled south Americans, but against other minimally experienced soccer players. Soccer and basketball are a combination of athleticism and skill. Soccer requires more athleticism than skill to be decent at a basic level. Basketball requires more skill because you cant just push a ball up a court. You have to watch your dribble. There is no traveling, palming, double dribbling in soccer.

Im not saying soccer is easy because i have tried playing it and ive been run off the field but at a very basic level its easier than football or basketball. BTW, catching/throwing/tackiling in football isnt easy

Don't argue with this dude dland24, he hates soccer with a passion, irrationally. And nothing you can say will change his mind. I remember him once saying that one of the reasons soccer is a bad sport is because they have sponsors on the jerseys, as if that has anything to do with the sport itself on the field.
laugh.gif

I want to see ANY. I REPEAT ANY! of you nters that don't play soccer to go play TODAY.

You won't have the ball in your possession for more than 5 seconds (even if you do, you aren't going to create ANYTHING don't kid yourselves). I promise. All of you lames that think soccer is easy even at a lower level are fooling yourselves.

If you ran with a JV squad today, and you don't play soccer:
You won't make a good cross
You won't score
You won't dibble by anyone.
You are fooling yourselves about a sport you obviously don't like. Just because you can physically go play the sport doesn't make it easy. NO SPORT IS EASY to play. It may be easy to go out and decide to play the sport because the resources are there, but to go play the sport with some success isn't easy and you guys know that.

Originally Posted by King Beef

I want to see ANY. I REPEAT ANY! of you nters that don't play soccer to go play TODAY.

You won't have the ball in your possession for more than 5 seconds (even if you do, you aren't going to create ANYTHING don't kid yourselves). I promise. All of you lames that think soccer is easy even at a lower level are fooling yourselves.

You won't score
You are fooling yourselves about a sport you obviously don't like. Just because you can physically go play the sport doesn't make it easy. NO SPORT IS EASY to play. It may be easy to go out and decide to play the sport because the resources are there, but to go play the sport with some success isn't easy and you guys know that.
You dont understand the question.

You won't score
Of course I do. You don't understand soccer.

You guys are saying that basic soccer skills are easy to develop if you are already an athlete. NO IT ISN'T.

For the "my friend played footy for his first season and was starting my mid-season". Son that soccer team/division must have been horrible.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Don't argue with this dude dland24, he hates soccer with a passion, irrationally. And nothing you can say will change his mind. I remember him once saying that one of the reasons soccer is a bad sport is because they have sponsors on the jerseys, as if that has anything to do with the sport itself on the field.
laugh.gif

1- I dont HATE soccer.
2- You are completely twisting my words (surprising).  I never said soccer is a bad sport because they have sponsors on their jerseys.  Come on man.  The thread was "what sport has the best uniforms aesthetically."  I said that the answer cant be soccer because they have huge sponsors on their jerseys.  Go ahead and grave dig it and show me once where I said soccer is a "bad sport because they have sponsors on their jerseys."  Go ahead.  I'll wait.  

You guys who love soccer get so touchy when people dislike or have an different opinion than you do about your sport.  

And KB....the division was NOT horrible, and we won our league.  Random assumptions FTL.

You won't score
Of course I do. You don't understand soccer.

You guys are saying that basic soccer skills are easy to develop if you are already an athlete. NO IT ISN'T.
Thats not what Im saying.  Re-read the posts I wrote please.

Back
Top Bottom