When it comes to playing hoops, when is enough... enough?

I am 33 now and have been playing basketball pretty regularly until last October. I tore my meniscus in my left knee and had surgery to clean it up. It isnow six months later and my knee has a recurrent tear. There is no pain, but the knee just does not feel right. My doctor recommended no further surgery sincethe MRI was inconclusive and reading a recurrent tear in an MRI is not an exact science- he says is there is no immediate pain or swelling, he can notrecommend an operation.

I am going for a second opinion next week because it saddens me to think this is how my knee will be for the rest of my life- having a functional knee, but notfunctional enough to play basketball. I can walk, jog, ride a bike... but I am unable to make quick cuts or jump off my left leg with any burst.

Even if the 2nd doctor recommends surgery, is the six months of rehab worth it to possibly get back what I had?

Or is it time to forget about basketball and embrace another hobby?

You may just have to adjust your game to your body...More jumpers less driving to the hoop...Dont give up bball totally tho!

Basketball is ageless man. I played in a rec league last summer and there was this one sixty year old guy that was lighting everyone up with jumpers. IMO, ifyou're not ready to give up basketball, you shouldn't have to. I'd consider the surgery if necessary.

Originally Posted by nublee

Basketball is ageless man. IMO, if you're not ready to give up basketball, you shouldn't have to. I'd consider the surgery if necessary.
Co Sign

There is this 80 year old dude that balls at the rec all the time I swear he was on the team with Pistol Pete
laugh.gif

Yeah like others have said you just have to change up your game as you get older. I would get the surgery if it's an option and keep playing.

Definintely worth the rehab. Basketball is the funnest way to get cardio and stay healthy as you get older.

I'm 31, I've had 3 knee surgeries, and I have no ACL in my right knee. I tore it in 2001, and I literally haven't had 4 months of time where Icould have been laid up, doing nothing.

I play no less than 4 hours a week (couple hours with a bunch of guys at the Y that play at noon every Mon, Wed, and Fri).

I tore the ACL in my left knee in '97, had it repaired, and that's that. I had surgery to repair cartilage before that surgery, and I've hadsurgery to cartilage in my right knee after that. Like I mentioned, I've also torn my right ACL, and it's unrepaired as of now

Does it hurt for me to play? The pain is excruciating sometimes... but oh well. I'm not going to stop playing, and I'm not going to hobble around andwhine about it, either. I play hard, I've always played hard, and a lack of a little tendon won't stop me from doing something I love.

Ska where are you from? That's the same time we play ball at the the y in Sumter S.C. it must be a universal time thing.

I'm near Huntington, WV, so it must be a universal thing.

Interesting.

well imagine having that happen (meniscus tear) at 17 and having them same thoughts about ball (along with no help from a DR. If i play more than two daysstraight, i wont be able to play for about 3 weeks do to the pain. It sucks but, ima keep playing just not as often.

I had the same problem... surgery for the meniscus tear and then the recurring tear problem...

The second time I opted to go in for therapy in an attempt to avoid the surgery and that has worked wonders. I've worked for about 8 weeks now with the PTto strengthen my hips and ankles and it's allowed the strain on the knee to go away to the point where I can play pain free for the first time in 3 years.

Granted I'm only 21 but it might be worth a shot to look into getting PT instead of surgery.

I don't think you should let go of playing hoops. Like everybody said change your game which will suit you.

I'm about to be 30 (OUCH!!) and I hoop at least once a week. But, I've been very lucky, never torn or broke anything (knock on wood).

Originally Posted by CadillacFLOW

I'm about to be 30 (OUCH!!) and I hoop at least once a week. But, I've been very lucky, never torn or broke anything (knock on wood).
Damn, I never realized you were an oldhead
laugh.gif

I'm only 24, but I already play a lot differently now than I would've back in my younger years.. i was never a real aggressive, to the hoop type ofplayer, but now I will rarely go to the hoop in traffice because it's just not worth it to me - I have always been a pass first player anyways, but Iprefer to shoot jumpers and make the defense move now for other guys than I do risking serious injury in pick up games.

Some people would probably say that makes me a %%*%+ or something - but for a pickup game, with a bunch of mostly strangers who will stupidly undercut you andjust act ******edly unpredictable sometimes - it's just not worth the risk. I don't have great health insurance to start with, I can't afford to bespending time and money on x-rays and surgeries over what is now just a "hobby".

I'm finding myself wanting to just run/jog around the track more often than play basketball anymore - i thought when I was younger than I'd play balltil I couldn't walk anymore, but it's really just about finding compeition of some sort - Golf, jogging, tennis/raquetball, video games (lol), allcompletely non-contact activities that can fulfill my competitive drive I'm finding.

I will always have a special place in my heart for basketball - and maybe if I found an organized league to join in a few years I would change my tune, but fornow I'm with the OP - i'm moving past bball a bit i guess.. i have to i think.

Back
Top Bottom