When / What was the downfall of the NBA ?

i think its on its way up again, with the emerging stars.(Lebron, Wade, Cp3, ect) I also think the NBA is becoming way funner to watch the past few years withcharacters it now has like Dwight, kid is funny, lot of personality, and incredible athlete, makes people want to watch.

i definitely been watching more basketball in the last 2 years than the years before. Not the same as it used to but its getting better IMO

Originally Posted by JD617

Originally Posted by Chi ILL

Originally Posted by JD617

TNT & ABC & NBC .
pimp.gif
ABC is the same damn thing as ESPN. They're both garbage.
Not in the 90s .
pimp.gif

There was no NBA on ABC in the '90s. ABC had games in the '60s and early '70s and then nothing until this decade. Maybe you're thinking of CBS in the '80s? In the '90s the NBA was only on NBC and TNT/TBS.

Definitely thinking of CBS , my bad .
laugh.gif

CBS is the 'eye' right ?

By the way... Dwight Howard is bringing it back . Kid is so damn funny / stupid .
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

This shows a little bit how the money was so quickly pushed to the extremes.

Take Chuck Barkley and Kevin Garnett. Both HOF forwards from back to back eras. And their career years in a way even intersected each other.

Charles played from 1984-2000. He made $43.5 million in career salary.

KG played from 1995-2012 when his current contract runs out. He will have made $292 million in career salary.

but KG still loves the game and has passion for it. idk what it is but for some reason I just get the feeling that there are too many players that when theylose in the playoffs just say "ah whatever i'm a millionaire and its finally time for vacation." but there is no denying that players take theNBA as more of a business. When you hear superstars saying things to the nature of, "the nba is a business, and if GMs/owners only view players from abusiness standpoint, then players shouldn't have to be forced to being loyal to the team that the GM/owner runs," publicly it shows how they feel.

and honestly though...there's nothing wrong with thinking like that. if the owners dont view u as a human being and just as a commodity, then it reallydoes make it difficult for a player to have as much passion for the game. i seriously give major props to the dudes who are above 30 and still give a damnabout the NBA, even knowing that they're really just being used by people to make money.

i always wondered why people looked down on players who are "ring chasers" at the end of their careers (gary payton for example.) it shows thatthey'd rather be on a team that wins games and can have a shot at a title (that title isn't guaranteed, the odds are high against a player winning atitle so the safe bet would just be to get ur guaranteed $$ somewhere else.) it shows that they give a damn about winning and are willing to take a paycut ofmillions to win.

how is the NBA on a downfall?

it WAS from the period MJ retired from the Bulls up until a couple years ago... but right now, the NBA is definitely on an upswing.

i mean, Lakers-Celtics Finals last year set viewing records, the Hou-LA game a couple days ago set viewing records... a LOT of people are watching now.

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

it WAS from the period MJ retired from the Bulls up until a couple years ago... but right now, the NBA is definitely on an upswing.

i mean, Lakers-Celtics Finals last year set viewing records, the Hou-LA game a couple days ago set viewing records... a LOT of people are watching now.
david stern is a NTER?

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

david stern is a NTER?
david-stern-after.jpg

Originally Posted by OIIIIIIIO

i think its on its way up again, with the emerging stars.(Lebron, Wade, Cp3, ect) I also think the NBA is becoming way funner to watch the past few years with characters it now has like Dwight, kid is funny, lot of personality, and incredible athlete, makes people want to watch.

i definitely been watching more basketball in the last 2 years than the years before. Not the same as it used to but its getting better IMO
david stern knows how to market the sport and globalize the game of basketball
he is pushing lbj, wade, cp3 down are throats

and also

a_layden_i.jpg
2008_01_isiahwinner.jpg

when a big market team that was very relevant in the 90's becomes irrelevant in the next decade, it hurts the league ...believe it ornot

But this is why it's good that Boston is competitive again for the time being

The presentation of the NBA died when Mickey Mouse took over. ABC has destroyed the way we watch pro basketball with to much opinion and not enough analysing. Does anybody know when ABC's contract is up??? And how do you think FOX would do, in my opinion they changed the way we watched the NFL for the better.

Originally Posted by Lizaker4Lizife

charging/blocking calls

excessive flagrant/technicals

not calling travelling (players travel and carry the ball on every possession)

EDIT: players trying to draw too many fouls, always trying to persuade the refs into making a call

I think this has diminished the quality of basketball that the NBA presents

In a nutshell, all of these are my biggest complaints. The league has gotten TOO technical. Instead of going and playing their hearts out, they're moreconcerned about "strategies", such as hack a shaq, pump fake and jump into defensive player, taking charges instead of playing defense, and such. Asshameful as it is, it's a tactic to win, but it also puts a big damper on the flow of the game. Sadly all the big wigs care about is winning and not thequality of the game.

All of this makes the league WAY too soft.

i think ryguy has it for the most part.

I truly believe the NBA is a mediocre product for several reasons, none of which really matter because they're all subjective for the most part. BUT - thatdoesn't mean it has to be boring, it's just that they are trying to milk everything out of every fan right now, while outrageously overcharging us andoverpaying the players.

The NBA would do itself a huge favor, in terms of ratings, if they severely cut down the season... 50 games is PLENTY if you're going to have 4-best-of-7series to determine a champion. or better yet - only cut the season to about 64 games but then just allow 4 teams from each league in the playoffs. This longdrawn-out format they have does not make for interesting television - i know i've said it before, but it's even more obvious than ever this year...these game 7's are not interesting, whatsoever. There's never a night where the casual nba fan feels like he has to tune into the playoffs, because itall just runs together when you drag it on for so long year after year.

The finals MAYBE get interesting if you have the right players/teams make it... but that's the point in and of itself - it's the PLAYERS we end upcaring about in the NBA, not the teams. With the NFL, it's much more the teams... and i think that's why they are much more successful.

I miss that old NBC NBA music...every sunday I would watch no matter who was playing...

I HATE abc/espn...

Did the league fine anyone this season for flopping? They said that they'd come down hard on it this season but I haven't heard anyone get fined forit.

You cant be as old as you sound....

My father said the same thing about the 70's..

He couldnt stand MJ...All he talked about was DR. J..

Ive watched a lot of basketball.. DR. J, Magic, Bird, Barkley, Kobe, AI, Shaq, Duncan, and now Lebron..

This is the most FUN, ive had watching the N.B.A....I'd rather watch everbody battle for chips then 1 person winning them all.

And yes Michael Jordan was my favorite player back in the day....

When they lost Jordan they had no one to market their game and with it being so individual driven they suffered until LeBron was discovered

But they overhype him so much that its almost a turnoff

Back
Top Bottom