Where does Gary Payton rank among the all time great point guards?

I� saw Kevin Johnson play

Even had his sneakers and the retro's too, no react juice in em though...

He was good, but not nearly an�ALL-TIME GREAT...

I� remember this too......��

��

��

If KJ played in an era with no illegal defense and more complicated zone screens he would be forced into taking jumpers all day.

Do you realize how quick and smart KJ was? GP top ten. I really loved his real man to man d,not that passing lane crap like Dwhistle. I disagree with thestatement above.

Originally Posted by no vert

If KJ played in an era with no illegal defense and more complicated zone screens he would be forced into taking jumpers all day.

Do you realize how quick and smart KJ was? GP top ten. I really loved his real man to man d,not that passing lane crap like Dwhistle. I disagree with the statement above.
Sure. You could be right but the idea that hand checking made 90's D infinitely better and more difficult I believe is absurd.

90s defense was definitely more physical with the hand checking, it was a lot more difficult to just drive by people without having a defenders hands on you.

I lost all respect for GP once he went hoppin' around to diff teams to chase a ring, I respect Reggie for not being a lame.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

90s defense was definitely more physical with the hand checking, it was a lot more difficult to just drive by people without having a defenders hands on you.

Yeah I agree with that, but does that mean it is better. In fact player who were not particularly fast or athleticenough too keep up with great players these inferior players could just use this tactic to even the playing field. So back then teams didn't mind leavingByron Russel on an island with Jordan.
laugh.gif

Now for you to leave somebody on an island with a player you need to have a once in a generation type athlete and defensive mind like Artest in his prime.Imagine if Artest could hand check?
eek.gif
Artest used to be able to just stayup in a guys a grill and keep them infront of him, he can't do that anymore and it's showing.

In todays NBA you CANNOT do that, because of that (and the removal of illegal defense) defenses have become more complicated and IMO better. To stop a greatplayer your entire team defense has to run like a well oiled machine and it's easier to force great penetrators into jump shots. (Kobe?)

It's like say spitball pitchers are better than current generation pitchers.
laugh.gif

I'd probably say 10 just too many historic PG's to name in front of him....and sorry I don't count his ring with the lakers

Originally Posted by Infinite04

I'd probably say 10 just too many historic PG's to name in front of him....and sorry I don't count his ring with the lakers

Uh ,what ring with the Lakers? GP got jewels with Miami.

In todays NBA you CANNOT do that, because of that (and the removal of illegal defense) defenses have become more complicated and IMO better. To stop a greatplayer your entire team defense has to run like a well oiled machine and it's easier to force great penetrators into jump shots. (Kobe?)

You made a good valid point,and i feel kinda funny cause, i saw the hand checking era,aka Derek Harper.

Originally Posted by Infinite04

I'd probably say 10 just too many historic PG's to name in front of him....

'historic'? so the stats, accomplishments, and hardware dont mean anything, because enough time hasnt passed?

the 'it's better because it's older philosophy' is pure douchery.

and sorry I don't count his ring with the lakers
no....just...no.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom