Which will the US completely legalize first: Gay Marriage or Marijuana?

(1) I completely understand where you are coming from in this response. However, don't you think that the main reason for such a great variance in the degree of physical abuse and segregation is because you can hide the fact that you're gay but not the fact that your black. I don't think it's an unfair assumption to think that if homosexual individuals had purple skin or horns or something they would be subjugated to similar injustices. I will say that they would most likely not be reduced to slaves, but the segregation and physical abuse would most likely be there. With that said, why does it matter if the one group went through worse treatment than another. The fact remains that they are all struggling for human rights. And human rights injustices should never be overlooked.

(2) As I am not a religious person there's nothing I can really say against this. Just that there are many things in all scriptures (not sure what religion you follow) that are not followed. You said yourself that you sin, as we all do under the dated rules of scriptures. Why chose this one to stand so firmly behind? Why is this subject the one that most religious people feel so strongly about? What are you holding on to?

(1) Yes I do believe that to be the case as well.  It's not the point that one group or race has to go threw the same treatment or even worse than that to the other.  Of course blacks suffered human injustices as did gay people.  My point is that when gay people or advocates of gay people try to talk about human rights, they tend to lean on the plight of what black people had to suffer threw or against and I personally feel that by trying to even equate the two as equal or similiar is a slap in the face to what black people had to suffer threw.  It's almost like a person trying to compare middle school to college.  The two just aren't the same.  I know that many gays still suffer in this day in age, from being discriminated against for job positions or not being able to openly serve in the military.  Overall, I wish gay people the best in trying to attain certain human rights.

(2)  Well I chose this topic to stand behind simply because this is apart of the topic that is currently at hand right now, if we were talking about something else and I felt that my religion or personal beliefs were against then I would speak up about that as well.  Like I said, it just so happens that we are talking about potentially legalizing gay marriage.  If you give me another topic to talk about or discuss, I would do the same.  As far as why do certain religious people tend to be so firm on this matter, I can't speak for the masses, but I believe it's because gay activity or people for that matter is looked upon as "the norm" in this day and age.  As others have stated in here, it's almost looked at as the "cool thing to do, or be apart of".  This goes against what most religious people feel or believe in.

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Originally Posted by RKO2004

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

Marriage is exclusive to churches? Should we not allow atheists to get married?

I already said, Marriage should be for people IN the CHURCH. Civil Unions should be the outside worlds' version of marriage. You can't come into someones' home and start changing their rules around for them.

Its started with people of faith, that's where is should have stayed.

But it didn't, so your point is moot.

No, Its not. Its not moot. Just because you take something and put your crap on it, doesn't mean it belongs to you.

I already said, Marriage should be for people IN the CHURCH. Civil Unions should be the outside worlds' version of marriage. You can't come into someones' home and start changing their rules around for them.

No, Its not. Its not moot. Just because you take something and put your crap on it, doesn't mean it belongs to you.

Yes, yes it is moot. We're talking about real life in America, now. The place were any two heterosexual people can get "married." Not fantasy Christianityland, where only Christians can get "married" under "God." You say "should be, should have," but we're talking about how it is TODAY in the PRESENT.

By the way, "marriage" was around long before Christianity, so that pretty much nullifies the entire point you were trying to make. Christians didn't invent marriage, so how can they claim it for themselves?

I already said, Marriage should be for people IN the CHURCH. If you are an Atheist, then why would you want to be married under a God you don't believe in? If you're going to leave God out of it, why not just get Civil Unionized? Civil Unions should be the outside worlds' version of marriage. You can't come into someones' home and start changing their rules around for them.

The practice occurred prior to Christianity. In America, it's also a legal term. You don't have to view someone's marriage as a "religious" practice but as a cultural one. If a church doesn't to perform a ceremony or want to recognize it, so be it. They shouldn't be forced to. However, there is no reason anyone should not be allowed to be married. Seems like we're just arguing semantics.

Yes, yes it is moot. We're talking about real life in America, now. The place were any two heterosexual people can get "married." Not fantasy Christianityland, where only Christians can get "married" under "God." You say "should be, should have," but we're talking about how it is TODAY in the PRESENT.
I don't give a hot crap about TODAY's standards and practices. Christianity Land is actually a grade A place.
grin.gif

How about respecting one's traditions and beliefs?

By the way, "marriage" was around long before Christianity, so that pretty much nullifies the entire point you were trying to make. Christians didn't invent marriage, so how can they claim it for themselves?

Its not just Christians, its other RELIGIONS. The word of God has always been. His followers just adopted new names and changed practices. WE changed, God doesn't.

I haven't read through the thread so I don't know if this has been brought up as yet but I hate to break it to you guys

The number 1 reason why gay marriage isn't legal is because of taxation. Married couples are given a number of tax breaks under the assumption that they are going to conceive children in the future thus creating a newly taxable individual/entity to feed money into the system. In the case of gay marriage this is not possible. So you either do one of two things you completely overhaul the tax codes for marriage or you trump up some religious outrage and offer appeasement in the form of civil unions. I'm not a tax expert so I wouldn't be able to give you the exact tax codes but if you guys are interested I can find articles defining this POV.

Also children born out of wedlock, through in vitro insemination/fertilization using a third party or that are adopted do not fall under the tax codes for married couples.

On the other hand I don't quite understand why marijuana isn't legal, while some claim that it's mainly about taxing it and product control I doubt that. It's been stated that the top cigarette companies if marijuana becomes legal have a large enough supply stored away in their factories to begin shipment that very same day but personally I highly doubt that. As a whole from a business aspect marijuana might be too hard to properly regulate so that major companies can make a great enough profit margin for it to be widely legalized. As far as I'm concerned I can't simply make my own cigarettes or cigars from scratch but the same can't be said about marijuana. Then when you take into account that it not only does it fund drug traffickers but also many of our legal organizations

At the end of the day I would say it's far too profitable for marijuana to stay illegal and further more for most illegal drugs to stay that way

Originally Posted by fac3 tak30v312

The number 1 reason why gay marriage isn't legal is because of taxation. Married couples are given a number of tax breaks under the assumption that they are going to conceive children in the future thus creating a newly taxable individual/entity to feed money into the system. In the case of gay marriage this is not possible. So you either do one of two things you completely overhaul the tax codes for marriage or you trump up some religious outrage and offer appeasement in the form of civil unions. I'm not a tax expert so I wouldn't be able to give you the exact tax codes but if you guys are interested I can find articles defining this POV.

Also children born out of wedlock, through in vitro insemination/fertilization using a third party or that are adopted do not fall under the tax codes for married couples.

Yeah if you can find that article.. I would be interested in reading about this because this sounds like some conspiracy theory bull crap. And I am not even sure what you mean by children born out of wedlock.  That doesn't make any sense.

It's actually the opposite because when you get married, you're penalized because if both couples make a ton of money, it gets combined thus putting them in a higher tax bracket and reduces or phases them out of a ton of tax credits.   Or if one spouse makes a whole lot less, he/she could have received free tax money in the form of earned income credits but no longer qualifies because the other spouse makes too much. Of course it's all variable based on situation.

Bush reduced the impact of these penalties in 03 so the penalty isn't as great but this will expire in 2011 unless Obama extends it.

I don't give a hot crap about TODAY's standards and practices. Christianity Land is actually a grade A place.
grin.gif

Its not just Christians, its other RELIGIONS. The word of God has always been. His followers just adopted new names and changed practices. WE changed, God doesn't.

1. How is Christianityland treating you? Where is it btw? I hope you're not talking about the United States of America, where religious freedom is written into the FIRST AMENDMENT.

Main Entry: mar·riage

1 a (1) :the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband orwife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law (2) : the state of being united to a person of the same sex in a relationship like that of a traditional marriage <same-sex marriage > b : the mutual relation of married persons : wedlock c : the institution whereby individuals are joined in a marriage
2 : an act of marrying or the rite by which the married status is effected; especially : the wedding ceremony and attendant festivities or formalities
3 : an intimate or close union

Facepalm.

grin.gif

1. How is Christianityland treating you? Where is it btw? I hope you're not talking about the United States of America, where religious freedom is written into the FIRST AMENDMENT.

1 a (1) :the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband orwife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law (2) : the state of being united to a person of the same sex in a relationship like that of a traditional marriage <same-sex marriage > b : the mutual relation of married persons : wedlock c : the institution whereby individuals are joined in a marriage
2 : an act of marrying or the rite by which the married status is effected; especially : the wedding ceremony and attendant festivities or formalities

Facepalm.

Religious freedom? First amendment? You're grasping for straws by bringing those two up. What does either have to do with, God word doesn't change?

Man made laws don't override the Law of God in my book.

"I hope you're not talking about the United States of America! Where we are FREE to take tradition and land!"

A concrete "gay gene" has evaded scientists for quite a while now.

I don't know to be honest, where I currently stand as the issue is concerned.

But if it is genetic (which is possible), then there is absolutely an environmental factor as well.

Because if genetic anomaly of such small magnitude exists, I don't think it could explain the huge population.

There are some theories that it is neither, it could be in uterus during gestation.  Possibly something we're eating..who knows?

It saddens me to think that the same people who would be up in arms if the Government decided to make marriage between African Americans, or Democrats/Republicans, or Christians/Jews/Muslims are the same people who are saying we should deny the same right to people who happen to be homosexual.

They're not hurting you, your country, or your religion.

Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

smh.gif

grin.gif

Facepalm

laugh.gif
Applaud this man
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by VARSITY kid

They NEED to legalize marijuana because it will boost up the economy. Gay marriages will just make the US look worse that it already it
smh.gif

thread, but change it to is

RKO2004 wrote:
Religious freedom? First amendment? You're grasping for straws by bringing those two up. What does either have to do with, God word doesn't change?

"I hope you're not talking about the United States of America! Where we are FREE to take tradition and land!"

wow

you realize that humans wrote the bible write? and it was written way after your JEW savior died...

now you are seeing what kind of crazy people these religious folk are. the bible overrules documents like the constitution to them.

RKO2004 wrote:
Religiousfreedom? First amendment? You're grasping for straws by bringing thosetwo up. What does either have to do with, God word doesn't change?

wow

you realize that humans wrote the bible write? and it was written way after your JEW savior died...

nowyou are seeing what kind of crazy people these religious folk are. thebible overrules documents like the constitution to them.

i also thought you were black? speaking of tradition, theres a huge chance that your ancestors weren't even christian.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DubA169

RKO2004 wrote:
Religiousfreedom? First amendment? You're grasping for straws by bringing thosetwo up. What does either have to do with, God word doesn't change?

wow

nowyou are seeing what kind of crazy people these religious folk are. thebible overrules documents like the constitution to them.

i also thought you were black? speaking of tradition, theres a huge chance that your ancestors weren't even christian.
laugh.gif

I'm black. I believe in the gospel of Jesus Christ. You something against Jewish people?

Marijuana can be grown by anyone therefore the government won't have exclusivity on it and can't sell it and make profit..Gay marriage by process of elimination.

RKO2004 wrote:

wow

laugh.gif

I'm black. I believe in the gospel of Jesus Christ. You something against Jewish people?

i AM jewish. just making a point that there was no christianity when the jew that yall worship died. he didn't create a new religion. you yall twist his name to belive in whatever you want. a bunch of his deciples wrote down what your jew leader was talking about and some empires realized that they could keep man controlled with the bible. it's not god or magic it's a bunch of guys who wrote a book about how to live your life.

you treat a book that is 2000 years old as a way to live your life in the PRESENT. as if society hasn't changed. it's just mind boggling that you have the nerve to ever use the word logic in a sentence of yours

RKO2004 wrote:

wow

laugh.gif

I'm black. I believe in the gospel of Jesus Christ. You got something against Jewish people?

i AM jewish. just making a point that there was no christianity when the jew that yall worship died. he didn't create a new religion. you yall twist his name to belive in whatever you want. a bunch of his deciples wrote down what your jew leader was talking about and some empires realized that they could keep man controlled with the bible. it's not god or magic it's a bunch of guys who wrote a book about how to live your life.

you treat a book that is 2000 years old as a way to live your life in the PRESENT. as if society hasn't changed. it's just mind boggling that you have the nerve to ever use the word logic in a sentence of yours

Funny that the 2000 year old book would help solve a lot of problems TODAY. But hey it is what it is. You believe what want and I'll do the same. You want to talk about logic but you can't get your head out of your  crapper to see that it is very relevant to today's problems and events.

I don't care how old the bible is. It doesn't matter to me. All that matters to me is that it remains a constant guide to life.

The Bible can't be proven or treated as law. For all you know, a team of monks got baked at their monastery and fabricated the whole thing. You think a court would say, "oh shoot, the Bible condemns gay marriage, well that solves that issue"??

Back
Top Bottom