Who Here Has A "Good" Job With No College Degree VOL. 40K+

Originally Posted by krazy88s

Originally Posted by TheGoogler

Originally Posted by AyeDongsky

Has anyone with zero experience ever land a job in IT? 

I'm wondering this as well. Seems like every IT job requires at least a couple of years of experience
ohwell.gif
When I made the switch a year ago, I didn't have any experience and I was 3 years out of college. I just made some connections, told them I was really interested in the field and they let me on. I would suggest anyone without experience to do the same.

good stuff. What do you do?

Originally Posted by solnevins

surely you can show us proof that youve been hired at these jobs over the phone correct?

of course , they send me a confirmation email telling me the start date , what to tell security , paperwork for background check and drug test, would you like me to forward these to your email , then in Queens NY you can buy and ID and Social paperwork with my name and use it to get employed ?
alien.gif

Originally Posted by Regal Black

Originally Posted by krazy88s

Originally Posted by TheGoogler

I'm wondering this as well. Seems like every IT job requires at least a couple of years of experience
ohwell.gif
When I made the switch a year ago, I didn't have any experience and I was 3 years out of college. I just made some connections, told them I was really interested in the field and they let me on. I would suggest anyone without experience to do the same.

good stuff. What do you do?

PC Tech trying to move to security

Originally Posted by solegit08til

Originally Posted by sladewilson

Originally Posted by skylerof209

I applied for the job slade, good lookin son, should i call em up too?
they should email you or call you up soon
pimp.gif

Nothing for the Veg 
frown.gif
71r615.jpg

20 per hour
entry level position

Laptop repair
bring resume to
Henderson Location. 9400 S. Eastern ave. # 107
Henderson, NV 89074

Audio installer 
email
tintntunes11@gmail.com

if all that $!@ is to hard for you , heres house cleaning

Interview is on 05/19/2012 (saturday)
pimp.gif

Please bring your resume with you. If you are not able make it today next interview is sunday 05/20/2012 10am.

they should email you or call you up soon
pimp.gif

Nothing for the Veg 
frown.gif

pimp.gif

Please bring your resume with you. If you are not able make it today next interview is sunday 05/20/2012 10am.

Only useful thing I get is housecleaning? I thought you had some legit way of finding jobs where you could BS your way through. 
That laptop repair shop is racist (tried to charge me $160 for 8gb of ram
30t6p3b.gif
)

The first one is a damn pyramid scheme.

The audio installer says 3-5 years experience. How am I gonna BS through installing a subwoofer 
roll.gif

I know you shouldn't bite the hand that feeds,but damn you feedin me scraps from craigslist. 

Originally Posted by Nike Jordan

71r615.jpg

Sounds like a scam...
After some research, this is just a pyramid scheme, but us NT'rs can band together and abuse 
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

There is dough to be made here if we work together. I'm not gonna start a thread cause it'll probably get taken down for spamming but please, everybody PM. We can utilize this fools scheme for pennies on the dollar.

edit: We'll pretty much be getting paid to start trials and cancel them. Unless to get paid they have to actually subscribe, and if thats the case, Slade failed not me 
laugh.gif

edit again: nvm, it says you must use trial at least 75-90% of trial period. Sounds to me like (archer voice) "DANGER ZONE" (/archer voice)

so you pretty much gotta time your trials so you dont end up at 90% on like a Friday and can't cancel until they charge you Monday. 

Honestly Craigslist is filled with scams about 95%. Any ad that never states who they are is bogus. I can't believe I
actually got a legit job from Craigslist. Even indeed.com and simplyhired have companies spamming
jobs ads left and right. Most times the jobs is already closed, they and just taking your resume and selling them
or posting them online somewhere. The jobs market is a complete scam now and days unless you
came out of college with a engineering degree or your going to graduate school to be a doctor or lawyer
its going to be hard right now.

Originally Posted by AyeDongsky

Has anyone with zero experience ever land a job in IT? 
Well, I didn't have any experience and I landed an entry (somewhat mid-level) position at a healthcare technology facility in Southern California a while back.

Honestly what it boils down to is "converting" (editing) your resume to somewhat tailor and adapt to your inexperience of IT. Using whatever background info you have on the company and measuring it to whatever standard it is you wish to entail.

(Apologies on lots of the typos, I'm writing this as I'm pretty drowsy and busy with some errands for tomorrow so bare with me). I'm not a tech savant like a majority of NT users, however I feel as someone who comes from a zero experience background of IT, thought I might tailor some tips to help you guys out in the job hunt. Hopefully some good karma will be clutched through this friday for a future career position that I need to support my family out.

General Administration (Any user of any level of experience)

Eg: Majority of us already know Microsoft Office (Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and/or Access). About 85% of the jobs out there require you have some shape or form or familiarity with this stuff. So you can list this in the Computer Skills section (or Summary of Qualifications, if you're lacking physical job experience).

Programming (0 years or 2+ years of higher)
The Majority of you wish to get into IT but don't know any applied Computer Science languages: C, C++, Objective-C (iphone App related), Java, SQL, HTML, CSS and etc. There's many more but I'll leave that to you guys on your own free time to explore. How do you learn these languages? Like any language, google, read a book for dummies (I've done this plenty), maybe mess around on Codeacademy.com (this was provided via another NT'er so feel free to claim credit) and etc. This is probably the most difficult but easiest gateway into the industry, it'll take some time learning some languages (for more computer science/math savvy folks probably half or 3/4ths less the time compared to the average user). You'll need to understand variables, string variables, logrithms, patterns of alphanumerical values, that allow you to force (or calmly) push for certain functions and applications to be written on the document, allowing you to have an influence on how your blogs, social media (or general aggregate websites; anything that is converted to an android/iphone app) and/or computer video games. Learning these languages will give you a leg up on the competition. Not only that but a lot of jobs that pay the big bucks right now are "consulting" a lot of it requires you to be familiar with certain technology or computer languages to be applied in a high-value IT firm.

Marketing/Graphic Design Approach and Application (for The Creative folks of NT) (0 years- 2 years minimum for most jobs)

Adobe Creative Suite- Whether it's one aspect of the application or the entire suite (Photoshop, Dreamweaver, In-Design, Bridge, Illustrator, etc.) About 80-90% of Advertising Agency, Marketing Companies and IT Companies (without an in-house marketing company) will need people with these expertise. If you're artistic, into photography or already messing around on NT, PS'ing black eyes on peoples pictures. This skillset might be an asset that you wish to highlight on your resume. Certain applications, especially Dreamweaver require a familiarity with a very basic computer languages: (HTML/CSS; as mentioned in the programming section). Therefore, it is highly suggested people read up the basics of font, size formatting, margin line divisions, as well as window display/template mods that would be applied to Blogs/Websites to reinforce your knowledge in this department.

SEO- Search Engine Optimization, I know a lot of people on here are familiar with Tumblr, Instagram, and etc. (Programs or Applications that allow you to tag and accommodate certain exposure for images and text for webcrawler applications on the internet). If you're lacking in the Computer Program department (especially in regard to graphic design; Adobe Creative Suite, whatever version you got) and you're familiar with the application of this then feel free to put it on your resume for expertise.

Social Media- As outlined in the previous example of SEO, majority of us are on Social Media platforms (Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram and etc.) Did you know there are also applications, for those mainstream apps/platforms in order for you to streamline certain feeds for certain products of companies (Hootsuite being one of them)? Download the program and familiarize yourself with the competition. This will allow you to stand out in this field.

Healthcare Related Technology (Miscellaneous Applications) (0-3 years worth of experience)

Majority of us who work in IT, know someone has to do the $@@%! work. So with that said, a lot of people need "data entry skills" aka how fast can you type on mavis beacon or type-racer to get the redundancy duties out of the way. Ever heard of Salesforce.com? Look it up. Currently, they will explain about how they reached "cloud technology platforms" and etc. However to me, when I was using it, it was nothing more than an excessive Data Entry Bank of BS. Sure it allows you to categorize certain clients as "Cold clients, Major Clients, new Clients and etc." However in the sales business you needed platforms like these to establish a certain list of folks to follow up with, that way you can pitch the perfect sale. For many of you who are OCD and like to organize your Desktop Folders or even Email Folders. Might I suggest trying to finding a copy of this and trying it for yourself.

A lot of people might be wondering, well why would you tell me to learn about a Sales Platform app for CMS standard when you're title says Healthcare technology. The firm, I worked for developed a certain Suite Application. Compared to its competition, it was an all-in-one package. The catch? There was a lot, and I mean a lot of Dev testing (QA testing) involved before we pitched it to the clients. So, you needed to wrap your head around applications like Salesforce, that allowed you to understand the purpose of certain "data entry values and functions."

eg: What happens, if you type the numerical value: 12345 in the "window entitled name: would you get an error? is the program capable of reading that and telling the user, he/she must update it with a alphabetical title rather than a numerical/alphanumeric one."

As you can see, some of this stuff is very basic and I had no experience whatsoever. Learned majority of this stuff on the job or pique'd my interest at one point due to my friends who were in Computer Science/IT related positions and firms.

I hope this basic highlight tutorial will help some of you modify your resumes so they are more "tech friendly." This is what I've done for the past three years and I've worked a few soft and hard (pause no #%+#) IT related functions/positions in the process.

Good luck NT'ers.

Nothing for the Veg 
frown.gif

pimp.gif

Only useful thing I get is housecleaning? I thought you had some legit way of finding jobs where you could BS your way through. 
That laptop repair shop is racist (tried to charge me $160 for 8gb of ram
30t6p3b.gif
)

The first one is a damn pyramid scheme.

The audio installer says 3-5 years experience. How am I gonna BS through installing a subwoofer 
roll.gif

I know you shouldn't bite the hand that feeds,but damn you feedin me scraps from craigslist. 

And there's your fundamental problem.

Those pretty much don't exist. Unless you got like a family friend putting you on.
My suggestion, take up any job you can get and build until you can start your own small business. Or if you can, go to school and get an education.

But best believe, both routes I just mentioned can't be solved through BS'ing.

How is it that Slade gets these jobs within "minutes" and y'all are waiting days and weeks to get on? Good luck to those who are dumb enough to believe that they can pull this off.

eDiscovery analyst at WATSON Pharmaceuticals 
i make 80k per year

doing nothing all day 
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

The worst thing is doing nothing all day at the work, time go so slow. But thats how we europeans are, we like to do something useful at work. Trade my office work to field job, i havent never regret it, feel sorry for people who sit 5 days a week at office. 1 year at office work was enough for me.

Originally Posted by eddiebauer757

How is it that Slade gets these jobs within "minutes" and y'all are waiting days and weeks to get on? Good luck to those who are dumb enough to believe that they can pull this off.
did you know you can buy fake fingerprints , Did you know you can buy Fake ID cards, Did you know you can buy Fake DLs , Did you know you can buy Fake Passports , Did you know before you board an Airline you can pay off TSA before you board the plane
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

did you know before you go to Court you can pay off the JUDGE 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif