Who really cares if Rose cheated?

Originally Posted by p0tat0 5alad

I thought this was about Pete Rose.
roll.gif

Originally Posted by I AM KNOWLEDGE

You know, I don't feel anyway about Derrick Rose cheating. However, I do understand why others may. I think we all need to step back and realize that this incident is bigger than Derrick Rose.

I believe that there are some fundamental flaws in the American education system, and a huge flaw has been personified through this incident. Anybody that's attended a public school has learned at an early age that the education system is a game. So much emphasis goes into grade scores, and standardized test that people stop caring about what they know. Moreover, the concern shifts to what they can show.

I don't think it's fair to expect athletes to perform at a high academic level. Now I do believe everyone should be literate, but we aren't expecting these people to become brain surgeons or active members of the civil workforce. I know that if I had God given physical talent, but lacked the mental capacity to perform well in school, I would do anything in my ability to get where I needed to be. It's unfortunate, but the fact of the matter is that if it weren't for the huge demand that is professional sports, some of these people would be Wal-Mart greeters.

For those that are upset with Derrick Rose and those of his ilk, I hope that you feel the same way about the people who cheat their way through high school, college, and eventually become CEO's, Congressmen, and Presidents. Because these situations happen a lot more than a professional athlete cheating on a test. Not to mention, these people have the ability to directly affect your lives.

couldn't say it any better.... plus i'm sure a lot of those people had to sign ethics forms that stated they didn't cheat, maintained integrity,etc ....

You can listen to the dude talk in interviews and tell how dumb he is.

Doesn't surprise me at all he had a stand-in for the SAT.

Originally Posted by goukiteg

We should care. For every DRose that makes a successful career in the NBA, there are countless faces that never make it to the L and never graduate from college because they didn't have the skill set to help them succeed.
This is an excellent point.

Here you have kids who are being given the chance to be college educated for free, and far too few actually take advantage of that.

Originally Posted by Swag Surfer

Originally Posted by lakersmets49ers

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

Originally Posted by Fede DPT

Man, if you cant get a 970 of your SAT's you should kill yourself for being a waste of Oxygen.
so your saying if billy the mentally challenged kid who has learning disabilities tries his best to take the test, studies hard and gets a score in the low 900s he's a waste of oxygen

get the hell outta here with that.
Why dudes have to take things so literally?
I hate literal ##! dudes like that. Especially when it's a joke
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif

swag surfing is stupid just shut up already.
laugh.gif
you must not like to have fun
grin.gif
. 49ers are good as hell btw
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
. I heard Gore was playing QB and RB. Sad ++$ team
indifferent.gif

whos your team? unless your team has won 5 super bowls and has never lost a super bowl go shove that surf board up your rectum.

your girlfriend or should i say everybodys play buddy knows i like to have fun though.

Originally Posted by DEpast

You can listen to the dude talk in interviews and tell how dumb he is.

Doesn't surprise me at all he had a stand-in for the SAT.
Yeah very true but on the court, he usually makes pretty good decisions. It gets to me 'cuz I'm confused by the incongruence lol. Okay,his being stupid might be the reason why his court vision sucks. He simply makes plays thru great reaction I think. Anyways, I'm just talking non-sensehere. But dude is pretty dumb in interviews.

You know how often this happen with sport player?
I know someone that was getting this treatment

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

Originally Posted by Fede DPT

Man, if you cant get a 970 of your SAT's you should kill yourself for being a waste of Oxygen.
so your saying if billy the mentally challenged kid who has learning disabilities tries his best to take the test, studies hard and gets a score in the low 900s he's a waste of oxygen

get the hell outta here with that.
Why dudes have to take things so literally?
I hate literal ##! dudes like that. Especially when it's a joke
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif

swag surfing is stupid just shut up already.
laugh.gif
you must not like to have fun
grin.gif
. 49ers are good as hell btw
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
. I heard Gore was playing QB and RB. Sad ++$ team
indifferent.gif

whos your team? unless your team has won 5 super bowls and has never lost a super bowl go shove that surf board up your rectum.

your girlfriend or should i say everybodys play buddy knows i like to have fun though.
unless hes a steelers fan he cant really talk

anyways honestly every college does it to help their team...even back when i was high school one of our best player was not the smartest guy but we all knewour econ teacher helped him eeked out that c-

I've lost some respect for Rose. He's cheating his way through life which makes him no better than BernIe Madoff. I always knew dude was dumb, buthe's actually exceeded my expectations. Changed grades and a stand-in for the SAT? Dude is SUPER dumb. You know he was taking BS classes at Memphis. Iwouldn't even wanna be teammates with somebody that dumb. I mean at least try not to be dumb. Memphis is to blame for this too, they knew Rose was dumb andthey still let him enroll in college. Dumb people worth millions of dollars
smh.gif

^^ come one man. Is he dumb on the court? Was he dumb when he was busting the Celtics' $@#%%? Some of you are missing the point that he is only abasketball player. Lets start judging these guys on what they do on their jobs. I don't give a damn if Rose can hold a conversation on the economy. I wanthim to know his offense and how to break down the defense.

Rules were made to stop high school players from entering the draft, because PROFESSIONAL SCOUTS were failing. Well some of us have to bend those rules to getwhere we are going.

Chicago Sun Times today printed that one of the other HS players that had grade changed to attend school, left college and got arrested for robbery. Ya see,some of them only know a few things.

The high GPAs have always been suspect. I remember it being said LeBron was an honor student with a 3.5. LBJ is an intelligent young man, but I doubt he couldkeep that GPA with all the practice, travel and hoopla that surrounded him in HS.

And how do you figure OJ any better? He was getting paid in school too.

Originally Posted by AntBanks81

^^ come one man. Is he dumb on the court? Was he dumb when he was busting the Celtics' $@#%%? Some of you are missing the point that he is only a basketball player. Lets start judging these guys on what they do on their jobs. I don't give a damn if Rose can hold a conversation on the economy. I want him to know his offense and how to break down the defense.
Same exact way I feel about the situation

Originally Posted by mYToAsterspeak

^^^You think it's alright to cheat your way through life?

If Pro Athletes were making $50K a year, would you care that he cheated?

I would care cause cheating is cheating. Matter of fact he ain't cheat, somebody cheated for him. I just don't respect that, never have, never will.He's less of a man, cause he didn't put his destiny in his own brain or hands, he put it in somebody else's.

Myto, I think its alright to make it happen in your life cause nobody is giving you !$!!. I don't know your backgound or anyone else on this board, but inmy life, I've worked for everything I got. My folks both work, we are the middle class. When you know that something can doom or delay your future, yousaying you not going to do something to work it out?

It doesn't always pay to play "fair." As long as you are not causing anyone else harm to do it, I see no problem with it.

As YoungMatt just put it, people only get so pissed at athletes cause they make so much money. What about the CEOs that cake off millions under the radar andbreak ethics every other day? What about the crooked politicians, I mean politicians, that get bribes and special treatment all day, every day. Do they all geta pass because they took their own SAT and didn't have a grade changed? What about the crooked cops that take money? They're only in the positionbecause they never got caught doing anything wrong.

And you all should remember its us the fans that make it so that athletes can make so much money playing sports that we do on the weekend for FREE. If we allweren't ordering LeaguePass, buying jerseys and high *$% tickets, their salaries would be more in line than ours. The same could be said for musicians andactors. Our society makes it cool to pay $10 to go the show so that all these entertainers can live it up while we struggle to fill up the tank.

^^ come one man. Is he dumb on the court? Was he dumb when he was busting the Celtics' $@#%%? Some of you are missing the point that he is only a basketball player. Lets start judging these guys on what they do on their jobs. I don't give a damn if Rose can hold a conversation on the economy. I want him to know his offense and how to break down the defense.
Shoot, let's just keep expecting nothing out of the black man in the classroom because he's an athlete.

This is SO STUPID, and a leading reason why you have such a high percentage of professional basketball players going broke within three years of them leavingthe league. Building an educational foundation can do nothing but help them. So maybe when they do retire, they have something to fall back on, even if theyhaven't completed their degree.

It's obvious it's 17-18 year old kids and younger v. older heads in this argument, with prob. the exception of yungmatt, because you're usuallylevelheaded on things.

OP, ARE YOU EFFIN SERIOUS? You're justifying and rationalizing with all these reasons, but end of the day, he was in the wrong. You all make it sound likeit was

a) cheat on the SAT to go to college to he could jump to the pro's.
b) die in a gutter
c) sell drugs or rob banks forever

And that those were his only options. Dude could have gone the Jennings route. Dude could have gone JUCO... DUDE COULD HAVE STUDIED AND TAKEN SAT COURSES. Canany of you honestly tell me dude put his academics first in order to try and do things the right way?

He took the easy way out. He put a black mark on the college careers of everyone on that team, and so did Calipari, because there's no way he didn'tknow his star recruit was having trouble passing the SAT and then "all of a sudden" passed.

I care if Rose cheated. Because so many people before and after him will be held back because of their academic inadequacies.

I agree, college isn't for everyone, and the NBA shouldn't have an age limit. But as of right now, there is.

Joka, you're missing my point. What I'm saying is evaluate him (and every other athlete) in his profession. Sure, he needs work on his interview skillsand public speaking. School is what you make it. There are kids that can't even dribble a ball that don't do #%%+ in class and teachers don'texpect anything from them. A teacher has expectations of their students just as most of the students have expectations of the teacher.

Also, it's not just a black issue.

Again, why are you concerned about their bank accounts? They have the opportunity to go to school like us all, except they get to go to college for free. Itsabout what they are willing to put in. If they can't manage their money or find someone trustworthy who can, OH WELL! I used to feel bad that athletes wentbroke after their careers but no more. I, like many of you on this board, have to work everyday. If these guys can't live on MILLIONS of dollars per year(plus they get per diem money on the road) then maybe they should wait on their opportunity or find someone who won't take them to the poorhouse.

Originally Posted by doyung9

It's obvious it's 17-18 year old kids and younger v. older heads in this argument, with prob. the exception of yungmatt, because you're usually levelheaded on things.

OP, ARE YOU EFFIN SERIOUS? You're justifying and rationalizing with all these reasons, but end of the day, he was in the wrong. You all make it sound like it was

b) die in a gutter

And that those were his only options. Dude could have gone the Jennings route. Dude could have gone JUCO... DUDE COULD HAVE STUDIED AND TAKEN SAT COURSES. Can any of you honestly tell me dude put his academics first in order to try and do things the right way?

He took the easy way out. He put a black mark on the college careers of everyone on that team, and so did Calipari, because there's no way he didn't know his star recruit was having trouble passing the SAT and then "all of a sudden" passed.

I care if Rose cheated. Because so many people before and after him will be held back because of their academic inadequacies.

I agree, college isn't for everyone, and the NBA shouldn't have an age limit. But as of right now, there is.

Doyung, I'm effin serious.

I believe in an earlier response I made it clear that I used some extremes, but I also provided examples of bball players criminal actions once bball dries up.Not all of them, but some.

Thank God for Jennings because now he has opened up a new avenue for HS bball stars. Am I wrong that Jennings came out after Rose? There was no establishedpath when Rose graduated.

I would doubt that academics were placed ahead of the athletics, but can you verify that he never studied for the test? I haven't heard how many times hefailed at this point.

I respect your opinion, but I disagree with you.

Maybe the system should be re-evaluated. I remember questioning my HS freshman biology teacher on the purpose of learning the material to my future. I'msure these athletes think the same way in every class except for gym. There are things that I "learned in HS" and spit back out on tests that I haveno knowledge of now. That biology class, I passed it, but I was the least bit interested in science. I took it because the system say you have to.

Maybe we should establish athletic academies that prepare these kids better. I would like to propose institutions specifically for athletes that teach themmoney management skills. Maybe have ex-pros teach classes and mentor them. Have all the shoe companies sponsor the operating budget. And last but not least,teach them enough to pass their own entrance exams.

Why have these kids waste space and time for us students that will be working a 9-5 in several years, spending much of our paychecks for tickets so the familycan go watch a game?

Joka, you're missing my point. What I'm saying is evaluate him (and every other athlete) in his profession. Sure, he needs work on his interview skills and public speaking. School is what you make it. There are kids that can't even dribble a ball that don't do #%%+ in class and teachers don't expect anything from them. A teacher has expectations of their students just as most of the students have expectations of the teacher.

Also, it's not just a black issue.

Again, why are you concerned about their bank accounts? They have the opportunity to go to school like us all, except they get to go to college for free. Its about what they are willing to put in. If they can't manage their money or find someone trustworthy who can, OH WELL! I used to feel bad that athletes went broke after their careers but no more. I, like many of you on this board, have to work everyday. If these guys can't live on MILLIONS of dollars per year (plus they get per diem money on the road) then maybe they should wait on their opportunity or find someone who won't take them to the poorhouse.
You know why I feel bad? Because the past year I've been big brother to a 10 year old black kid from a broken home that has few people whoexpect anything out of him. His friends aren't in any better of a situation either. It's all good until they reach the age where school actually startsto matter. There are thousands of Derrick Roses out there that fall through the cracks because they don't have the athletic ability.

If the parents don't expect anything from their kids, someone out there needs to. I'll be that person, I don't give a damn. I guarantee you nobodyexpected !+*! from Rose outside of the basketball court. If they did, he would have taken the SAT on his own.

And yes, I am mad. It's !*$+#+%@ that you have kids who want to learn that have nobody there to push them. And it is predominantly a black issue. Sorry.

It's obvious it's 17-18 year old kids and younger v. older heads in this argument, with prob. the exception of yungmatt, because you're usually levelheaded on things.

OP, ARE YOU EFFIN SERIOUS? You're justifying and rationalizing with all these reasons, but end of the day, he was in the wrong. You all make it sound like it was

b) die in a gutter

And that those were his only options. Dude could have gone the Jennings route. Dude could have gone JUCO... DUDE COULD HAVE STUDIED AND TAKEN SAT COURSES. Can any of you honestly tell me dude put his academics first in order to try and do things the right way?

He took the easy way out. He put a black mark on the college careers of everyone on that team, and so did Calipari, because there's no way he didn't know his star recruit was having trouble passing the SAT and then "all of a sudden" passed.

I believe in an earlier response I made it clear that I used some extremes, but I also provided examples of bball players criminal actions once bball dries up. Not all of them, but some.

Thank God for Jennings because now he has opened up a new avenue for HS bball stars. Am I wrong that Jennings came out after Rose? There was no established path when Rose graduated.

I would doubt that academics were placed ahead of the athletics, but can you verify that he never studied for the test? I haven't heard how many times he failed at this point.

Maybe the system should be re-evaluated. Maybe we should establish athletic academies that prepare these kids better.
You're missing the point. And I respect you having an opinion, offering alternatives and what not, but if we really care about these athleteslike we claim to love them, then look at it this way. And I'll throw ONE name out there that should pretty much dead this whole discussion.

Jay Williams. He's done with basketball. Freak accident, caused by stupidity and he'll never be able to use his talent on a professional level again.Luckily for him, he went to a very prestigious educational institution (I HATE
mad.gif
Duke but I can't take from the education it provides) and if only for two years, he got something out of it AND there's no way you'regetting into Duke and being wet bag of rocks dumb. He had to have some God given intelligence.

But like I said he'll never play basketball again. He's been destined for a like that can surround basketball, behind the scenes, or from an analystPOV. But he'll never PLAY again. I also heard he was working as an agent some. But do you guys remember Jay Williams? Dude had a million dollar smile, wasgreat on camera, very charismatic and likable.

D. Rose doesn't have those things. Derrick Rose doesn't have a future as a Reggie Miller or a Kenny Smith after he's done. He's just not madefor camera time like that, it's obvious. And if he was cheating that bad in high school and college, he's certainly not going to be anyone's agentor in their Administration after he's done.

Let's say D. Rose suffers, heaven forbid, a career ending accident. What's he going to do? Tell me.

Nah dont get me wrong, what went on wasnt the right thing to do but I just dont care about it because I look at these dudes strictly asathletes and nothing more. Everyone was being used in the situation. Rose used memphis for the year he was there to Prep him for the league and Cal used Roseto get to the Natl Title game
laugh.gif

It would be almost impossible for you and your family to KNOW your going to the league from the time your in HS and say "Im gonna focus on my SATS"when you know that your gonna be a millionaire within a year and more than likely wont have to read another book in your life. Thats just being real about it.

b) die in a gutter

I believe in an earlier response I made it clear that I used some extremes, but I also provided examples of bball players criminal actions once bball dries up. Not all of them, but some.

Thank God for Jennings because now he has opened up a new avenue for HS bball stars. Am I wrong that Jennings came out after Rose? There was no established path when Rose graduated.

I would doubt that academics were placed ahead of the athletics, but can you verify that he never studied for the test? I haven't heard how many times he failed at this point.

Maybe the system should be re-evaluated. Maybe we should establish athletic academies that prepare these kids better.

Blaming the "system" because some loser became a criminal due to his basketball career ending is a cop-out. There are certain aspects of this"system" that should be re-evaluated...that I do agree with. However, to place (which it seems from your POV) 100% of the blame on EVERYONE ELSE butthe player is laughable. There is wrong doing on both sides here. At what point should we question simple common-sense and the ability to judge right fromwrong when a player is asked to participate in something that is viewed as cheating, or illegal? C'mon now...no one was holding a gun to the head ofDerrick Rose and told him, "cheat, or else...." We may laugh at Brandon Jennings for some of his decisions, but he just said "F it" andwent to Europe when things didn't go according to his plans. Yes, I understand that there were questions surrounding his jump in SAT scores, but at leasthis name/UA's name wasn't dragged thru the mud because he cheated the system, played at UA, and then went pro....he chose a different route, andhe's gonna have the same draft status had he stayed here in the states...he didn't lose any money, and he got an endorsement deal off the bat (minuscollege)...you can't tell me that these kids don't have options when things don't go their way....

Back
Top Bottom