why are you a sneakerhead? (real sneakerheads only)

i dont know. i just love sneakers.

shoes can make your entire outfit.. i grew up playing basketball so i always loves jordans and basketball shoes especially.. plus i wear pretty plain clothing so ive always made my shoes what stand out.. its my favorite part of any outfit.. weather its my basic nikes or my dress up ferragamos

i was born in 1983, and my dad started me in the shoe game. he bought me the converse weapons since he was a lakers fan, and then the og 1's, because of all the hype surrounding jordan. its funny because me and my fiancee were looking at old pictures of me last night as a little kid, dated as far back as 1986. i had a picture wearin the og 1's, fire red iv's,maroon vi's, etc. that really started my love for sneakers. i remember walkin up to the neighborhood shoe store with my friends and lookin in the window at all the new releases we had to have in the midst of the glory days for sneakers(the 1990's). i dunno man, when i got older they grew into an obsession. i remember how big release days were, you know, without the internet and the hypebeasts. those days are gone. too many people ruining the sneaker game and the definition of a sneaker head.....especially these young kids. i just wish they knew what its like to rock an original.

Im a jordan head cause i loved jordan way back in the early 90's. Yea i was born in 86 but i remember when it wasnt a hassel to get your size because it wasnt about fashion, it was about representing your favorite athlete, stickin yo tounge out everytime you go for the mid range fade at recess. Just so happend my favorite athlete had the dopest sneaker on the market and my mom, dad, and grandfather thought so too and rocked em. So to sum it up, my love for jordans comes from memories as kid takin family trips to the chi to see mj play, and eat at that wack resturant he had, that was a joke!!! lol.

i'm in my late 30's been into the sneaker scene since the jump of hip hop. witnessed it all did it all. the fashion trends through out the years changed, but jordans were the prime shoe to rock. sure u had fila, reebok classics, troop, nike cortez, flights, puma's, adidas, etc etc. but the air jordan forget it, that was the main shoe. i still have ll cool j's "i cant live with out my radio" album where on the back cover hes rockin a kangol cap, lee jeans, letigre shirt, and blk/red aj 1's freaking dope.

Besides giving you the trite nostalgic responses, "I grew up watching MJ, wore my first pair of J's in 3rd grade" spiel.

I'll add that i wore them throughout my run in public education and even into community college.

As soon as i transferred to university, the look just wore thin on me - the novelty was gone, i officially thought i was done. This was around 2003-2004.

I rocked shelltops, rod lavers, chucks, new balance and air maxes. It was real simple... but to hoop, i had my pairs of beaters from yesteryear.

Flash forward to 2008.

Kanye West becomes a media sensation. Almost everywhere you look, there's a paparazzi photo of him rocking a pair of cool Jordan sneakers with a
nice hip, urban, trendy yet edgy (sometimes) look.

I liked that look. And once being a sneaker afficionado, it was easy for me to jump back into the game.

Fitted jeans, a chic t-shirt and retros really complete the ensemble (important step to emulate the West look - i imperatively had to go from bootcut denim to straight leg slim fit)

Y'all can chastize my fondness for Mr. West's style, but i'll admit, i'm a huge fan of his style (and just as much, his music as i've been bumping his records since
98).

Today, i'd say i model 85 percent of my wardrobe and fashion fits after Kanye.

And top of that... the ladies love this look too.

You ain't gotta concur... i'm just doin' me doing my best Ye impersonation on a daily basis.

Originally Posted by coolkicks23

Im sure almost anyone on NT would consider themselves a real sneakerhead,
but in my personal opinion (not tryna giv the true definition),
I really think that a true sneakerhead collects because its a passion,
a real sneakerhead feels like this is more than just coppin and showin off,
its about gettin what you want cuz u get some type of real pleasure out of it,
When I get a pair of shoes,
wether its a grail or just a random pick up,
I feel good,
I feel happy,
I feel accomplished,
and yea dont get me wrong I like to rock my kicks and have people jock,
but that aint why I do it,
I could care less if no one even notices my kicks,
as long as I feel good cuz I got em.
I can relate, something about shoes just makes me feel good inside, like Its Love at first site when
i see a hot pair of Nike's on the shelf or on someones feet.
I can remember when i was younger i saw the Jordan Blck/silver V..i fell in love with them.
Till this day its still my Fav Jordan. But i must have shoes, idk im just addicted. I love shoes.
I also remember when there was a point in my life were i had more shoes than clothes. its was a crazy life style
But when you want it you have to get it because its like a fire burning inside of me telling me to get them.

lls i sound like a lunatic
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Mercenary X

The term "Sneakerhead" is played out. People miss use the word, now, it's more of a trend than a passion.

In this modern day and age, people only "Collect" to show off.
this post is pointless, not flaming, but this word or term isnt even used right,  got  100 sneakers, congrats  u got 10 same thing. its how u fell about what you do and what you own. everyone will say they are for one reason or another, and more power to them for that

I know I may seem like a newbie but I've been collecting J's since I could afford em which has been about 11 years now. My first pair was the Black/Red XIII's..... my parents ignored the idea of paying 100+ for a pair of sneakers, especially for someone in the fifth grade. I could care less about reselling. If I didn't keep my beat up J's, I'd give em away. As a kid, being a Jordan fan just made you look forward to seeing what sneakers he would wear every night the Bulls had a game. I fell in love with the XI's... I dont consider myself as an OG because I dont have EVERY pair of Jordans that are worth buying *my definition of a OG sneakerhead*. I'm knee deep in collecting J's, I only buy actual jordans ex. I-2010. No jumpmans, spikes, fusions etc. for me, there's nothing wrong with buying them. I just don't.........

I'm a sneakerhead cause the art of collecting shoes/sneakers is still fun as hell to me. Plain and simple.

I started buying Jordan retros(none of them fusion crap) since last year ever since I got a full time job and can actually afford jays. I'm 23. I buy what I like and wear what I like. I only have 6 pairs and I rock and beat the crap out of them. What I can not stand is dudes who buys jays and never let them out of the box and brag about what they have. I never understand the point in that. Maybe it's cause I watch what I spend and take full advantage of my money.

The term "sneakerhead" has a completely different meaning now, then it did 10-15 years ago.

I got into sneakers around 8 or so. My parents kept me in sports, so I was playing basketball
year around, so of course I always needed 3-4 pairs yearly just to play ball in. The white/neon
Reebok Twilight Pumps got me really into sneakers.

I am not into Jordans as much as the next person, but I still have like 25-30 pairs. I have more
AF1's then anything else.

The only thing that throws me off nowadays is MOST people that are claiming they are "sneakerheads"
are just camping, and buying any and every shoe, just because they think its cool or whatever.

Playing ball, and getting fresh for the ladies is what it use to be, now it is something completely different.........

I have like 15 mixed pairs of kicks. Real sneakers: OG colors only. Jordan III's, IV's, V's, VI's and that's it for
me with J's anymore. Put some Air Max 90 Infrareds, Air Max 95 Neons, Freshwaters and Chili's in there. Also
(2) pairs of Barkleys. (2) pairs of some Shox. That's all I need anymore. A nice mix of tight kicks. Shoes just got
out of control anymore. Mine are worn like they are supposed to be.

i dont put myself in a box, but I cop kicks, mainly ones I wanted when I was a kid during the 80s and 90, I could care less about the hype, I buy hyped shoes just to resell or trade for what I want

i just LOVE J's thats it my first pair powder Xs after that i was hooked it was just a thing growing u Js just stood out at u
been addicted since ive cut down due 2 i having a body any day now plus i have a store to run so my time and $ is tied up but i just cope what i like
at 1 point i was coping 3-5 pairs every week not just J's

I played ball since I was 7 so I always knew the new sneakers and was a huge fan of basketball sneakers. When I was younger there were so many shoes I wanted but my mother just simply couldn't afford and I understood, got my 2 pair a yr and was satisfied. Now that I'm financially able to purchase the sneakers, 'in bulk', I missed out on I buy them; Jays, Foams, Pips, etc. Period. Any new sneakers that are nice I buy. I love sneakers and there is no one that can convince me otherwise.
I feels good to have a hobby/collection of something. I don't see myself ever getting tired of buying kicks. 27 deep and dont plan on stopping. 

Originally Posted by Cadwallader

Two words: Michael Jordan.

"Quality basketball products inspired by THE GREATEST PLAYER EVER."

I was one of those kids that just wanted to be like Mike. If it wasn't for Michael, I could care less about a basketball sneaker.
smart man

Pretty much! Ain't this really the main reason?? we SHOE FANATICS (hadda be careful of the word to use. I guess US new generation r diff. definition of a "sneakerhead") can't front on this one. It really is if not only, one of the main reason we valuue the shoes more than anything... at the end of the its still about the SHOES.

I dont think being a ''sneakerhead'' has anything to do [or shouldnt have anything to do] with how many pairs you own, buy etc. Its about the interest in collecting what YOU like. Quality over quantity for me. Has been that way for the 15 years I have been collecting. The game is so watered down with a million colors of each retro and branched off into fusions and packs ect. When I was a kid it was all about original colors and quality.. I think brand jordan has lost touch of that. Doesnt mean I have to though, I sort through all the releases and buy what I like so when all the time spent hunting and money is calculated I dont feel like its a waste. At the end of the day I know my collection consists of great sneakers that I LIKE. Im a sneakerhead and proud of it. As for the question why Im a sneakerhead? Because I enjoy it.
wink.gif

hmmm... I never thought of myself as a sneakerhead. 

But I do have an enormous appreciation for sneakers, to the point where none of my friends have the same type of passion as I do.  They're just like "Meh whatever, a pair of running shoes are all the same."

My mom thinks I have some sort of obsession-related disease, because there's barely any empty space to move around in my room
tongue.gif

Picture a drug addict who needs his fix.  Whenever I go out somewhere and there's a FL, Champs, Mom and Pops or whatever boutique, I need to go in and see what they have so I can get my fix
wink.gif

Definitely playing sports my whole life specifically basketball, its almost like it just came with a part of the game. You watch your favorite player, see his shoes, you in return want to be like him and thats where it started for me. MJ, Penny, the whole Bulls roster.

Back
Top Bottom