Why do people act funny, or get offended when you ask them how much they make? Never understood..

Funny how this thread is going on... and a few threads down the list in General, there's 'Minimum Wage Appreciation'

Originally Posted by ipitomi

but what if you are interested in what they do??

like I want to get in the communication field......and if i met someone in the position i want, i would ask how much they make...because i would hate to waste all those years and find out later they only make less than 30K.........but yeah it still is personal question

going into a profession for money is a bad idea. 

Originally Posted by ipitomi

but what if you are interested in what they do??

like I want to get in the communication field......and if i met someone in the position i want, i would ask how much they make...because i would hate to waste all those years and find out later they only make less than 30K.........but yeah it still is personal question

going into a profession for money is a bad idea. 

I don't tell anyone because people try to "count" your money. telling you what you can and can't afford. if you don't spend it like THEY think you should they have something to say. If you make significantly more than your peers, they oftentimes expect you to pay. even if it's little stuff like parking or something.

another example: I made about double what my ex-boyfriend made. i knew this, but he didn't. i was filling out my lease application and he was there. it asked for monthly income before taxes. i cut my eye over, and he is all up on my paper, so i skip the question and went back and filled it in last. after i fill it in, i nonchalantly cover it up with my hands, like folding my hands over the paper like i'm chillin. i got to talking to the landlord lady and accidently moved my hands and he saw my answer.

from that day forward. our relationship went downhill. it's like he couldn't handle it or something. he stopped doing things for me and started freeloading just because he felt like i could afford it. and not doing things for me in the sense of buying me gifts or anything, i'm talking about stuff like he would go get food and not even ask if i wanted anything or offer me any.

I don't tell anyone because people try to "count" your money. telling you what you can and can't afford. if you don't spend it like THEY think you should they have something to say. If you make significantly more than your peers, they oftentimes expect you to pay. even if it's little stuff like parking or something.

another example: I made about double what my ex-boyfriend made. i knew this, but he didn't. i was filling out my lease application and he was there. it asked for monthly income before taxes. i cut my eye over, and he is all up on my paper, so i skip the question and went back and filled it in last. after i fill it in, i nonchalantly cover it up with my hands, like folding my hands over the paper like i'm chillin. i got to talking to the landlord lady and accidently moved my hands and he saw my answer.

from that day forward. our relationship went downhill. it's like he couldn't handle it or something. he stopped doing things for me and started freeloading just because he felt like i could afford it. and not doing things for me in the sense of buying me gifts or anything, i'm talking about stuff like he would go get food and not even ask if i wanted anything or offer me any.

Originally Posted by versache530

Co-sign that first part.  My folks have an idea of what I make and I'm always looked at to come out of pocket when we go out.  %$+$ all that.  I literally had to cut people off and keep my tab solely to myself. 

Same ##*# with my ex.  Living with her was the worst because I understood the value of a dollar but to her I shouldn't have had to worry about finances, the electricity bill, cable bill, groceries, etc.  My money is my money and I make the amount I make for myself and nobody else. 

Co-sign that first part.  My folks have an idea of what I make and I'm always looked at to come out of pocket when we go out.  %$+$ all that.  I literally had to cut people off and keep my tab solely to myself. 

Same ##*# with my ex.  Living with her was the worst because I understood the value of a dollar but to her I shouldn't have had to worry about finances, the electricity bill, cable bill, groceries, etc.  My money is my money and I make the amount I make for myself and nobody else. 

Originally Posted by Wr

because you are judging someone. even if you don't think so, it's still a scale for judgement down the line once it get's out if you judge them now, or later on down the line.

this.

Originally Posted by Wr

because you are judging someone. even if you don't think so, it's still a scale for judgement down the line once it get's out if you judge them now, or later on down the line.

this.

If I really want to know I just ask for their job title and how long they been with the company/practicing.

I then go to glassdoor.com for industry jobs
or go to wallstreet/law/medicine/accounting/consulting blogs for jobs in those types of fields.

I mean, this information is public, or atleast ballpark......if you REALLY want to know.

You tell me you just started as an engineer at GE out of school, 60k/year flashes in my head.

If I really want to know I just ask for their job title and how long they been with the company/practicing.

I then go to glassdoor.com for industry jobs
or go to wallstreet/law/medicine/accounting/consulting blogs for jobs in those types of fields.

I mean, this information is public, or atleast ballpark......if you REALLY want to know.

You tell me you just started as an engineer at GE out of school, 60k/year flashes in my head.

Originally Posted by Nawth21

It's none of your business and comes across as rude. It's just one of those topics you don't discuss on a casual basis. Like religion or politics
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Nawth21

It's none of your business and comes across as rude. It's just one of those topics you don't discuss on a casual basis. Like religion or politics
laugh.gif

another example: I made about double what my ex-boyfriend made. i knew this, but he didn't. i was filling out my lease application and he was there. it asked for monthly income before taxes. i cut my eye over, and he is all up on my paper, so i skip the question and went back and filled it in last. after i fill it in, i nonchalantly cover it up with my hands, like folding my hands over the paper like i'm chillin. i got to talking to the landlord lady and accidentally moved my hands and he saw my answer.

Obviously the dude is kind of selfish.. I will say that for me as a male, it is a low feeling to date a girl that makes a lot more money that I do as far as annual income. I guess it is a ego thing some of us males have because it just makes me feel super low if my girl makes 80 plus grand a year and I just work at stepping stone job.. That's just me..

another example: I made about double what my ex-boyfriend made. i knew this, but he didn't. i was filling out my lease application and he was there. it asked for monthly income before taxes. i cut my eye over, and he is all up on my paper, so i skip the question and went back and filled it in last. after i fill it in, i nonchalantly cover it up with my hands, like folding my hands over the paper like i'm chillin. i got to talking to the landlord lady and accidentally moved my hands and he saw my answer.

Obviously the dude is kind of selfish.. I will say that for me as a male, it is a low feeling to date a girl that makes a lot more money that I do as far as annual income. I guess it is a ego thing some of us males have because it just makes me feel super low if my girl makes 80 plus grand a year and I just work at stepping stone job.. That's just me..

Back
Top Bottom