Why does it seem like there is more Nat'l pride with US Soccer than US Basketball?

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

overall yes, because like most said the USA bball team should win
it seems like there was more excitement following the US win today than there was when the "Redeem" Team beat Spain for the Gold Medal 2 years ago
but this part i dont agree with, everyone was staying up late and going down right crazy for that game and was the lead story everywhere
Michael Phelps was the lead story everywhere, not the Redeem Team. Trust me, I watched every minute of that basketball tourney and tried to find as much coverage as possible after every game, but it was tough. ESPN would do a recap of every game and talk about everything they did wrong, and when the gold medal game was over, the only decent commentary came from Bill Simmons.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

overall yes, because like most said the USA bball team should win
it seems like there was more excitement following the US win today than there was when the "Redeem" Team beat Spain for the Gold Medal 2 years ago
but this part i dont agree with, everyone was staying up late and going down right crazy for that game and was the lead story everywhere
Michael Phelps was the lead story everywhere, not the Redeem Team. Trust me, I watched every minute of that basketball tourney and tried to find as much coverage as possible after every game, but it was tough. ESPN would do a recap of every game and talk about everything they did wrong, and when the gold medal game was over, the only decent commentary came from Bill Simmons.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

also, on theflip...what about the nations who expect to dominate in soccer everyWorld Cup?  In comparison to USA basketball, I think we're a littlemore "ho-hum" when we do win.....they (other countries) treat soccerlike life/death....hypothetically, if D.Wade made a costly mistake thatblew the USA's chances in winning a gold-medal game, life would goon.....if I remember correctly, didn't David Beckham get ridiculed fora red-card in a WC appearance a few years back?  Like it was somethingthat he can NEVER live down?  Someone help me with that.....

Just noticed this part (although it's probably the biggest part of the post
laugh.gif
)

You simply cannot compare sports culture in the US with that of any of these countries, seriously. US has Basketball and Football at the top, with Baseball at third, with Hockey and Soccer bringing up the rear.

In ALL of these World Cup countries with exception to maybe Korea, Japan, and New Zealand it's SOCCER , SOCCER, SOCCER , SOCCER >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> with whatever other sports a distant afterthought.

It's hard as hell to understand for us being exposed to so many sports here in the US, but on the flip side they would probably have a culture shock being in our shoes seeing what we have to choose from and seeing how far down said totem pole the Worlds Game is

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

also, on theflip...what about the nations who expect to dominate in soccer everyWorld Cup?  In comparison to USA basketball, I think we're a littlemore "ho-hum" when we do win.....they (other countries) treat soccerlike life/death....hypothetically, if D.Wade made a costly mistake thatblew the USA's chances in winning a gold-medal game, life would goon.....if I remember correctly, didn't David Beckham get ridiculed fora red-card in a WC appearance a few years back?  Like it was somethingthat he can NEVER live down?  Someone help me with that.....

Just noticed this part (although it's probably the biggest part of the post
laugh.gif
)

You simply cannot compare sports culture in the US with that of any of these countries, seriously. US has Basketball and Football at the top, with Baseball at third, with Hockey and Soccer bringing up the rear.

In ALL of these World Cup countries with exception to maybe Korea, Japan, and New Zealand it's SOCCER , SOCCER, SOCCER , SOCCER >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> with whatever other sports a distant afterthought.

It's hard as hell to understand for us being exposed to so many sports here in the US, but on the flip side they would probably have a culture shock being in our shoes seeing what we have to choose from and seeing how far down said totem pole the Worlds Game is

It's because the World Cup is exponentially bigger than any international basketball competition.

You'd feel a lot more pride if someone in your family won an Oscar than if they won a Source Award.

It's because the World Cup is exponentially bigger than any international basketball competition.

You'd feel a lot more pride if someone in your family won an Oscar than if they won a Source Award.

Originally Posted by socluis90

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

US is lucky they just made it to the second round.
laugh.gif
They better be prepare to get demolish in the round of 16 though

haters gonna hate
Demolish
roll.gif
roll.gif
the Irony. Yourrrrrrrrr reeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaching dude!

Originally Posted by socluis90

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

US is lucky they just made it to the second round.
laugh.gif
They better be prepare to get demolish in the round of 16 though

haters gonna hate
Demolish
roll.gif
roll.gif
the Irony. Yourrrrrrrrr reeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaching dude!

I think that overall footy fans around the world are different sports fans than here in the states. They live and die by the club/country they support. I don't see that here in the states except during world cup time. We as US soccer fans match the worlds intensity when we are against them on the world stage.

I do live and die by my club (FC Barcelona). Since I was a young boy. USA/Holland since i was a boy too. If they played each other I would cheer for the states.

I think that overall footy fans around the world are different sports fans than here in the states. They live and die by the club/country they support. I don't see that here in the states except during world cup time. We as US soccer fans match the worlds intensity when we are against them on the world stage.

I do live and die by my club (FC Barcelona). Since I was a young boy. USA/Holland since i was a boy too. If they played each other I would cheer for the states.

My dude DJ's is still thinking about that 30 for 30 I see.

To clarify my underdog statement, I meant as an overall underdog. In our group, sure some folks expected us to win it. But the WC as a whole, no one expects the US to even make it past the Group of 16. For the most part, Americans don't like being told they can't win anything. Hence, the feeling of togetherness with everyone rooting hard for the US.

BTW, if I saw someone crying because of this I wouldn't know what to think
laugh.gif

My dude DJ's is still thinking about that 30 for 30 I see.

To clarify my underdog statement, I meant as an overall underdog. In our group, sure some folks expected us to win it. But the WC as a whole, no one expects the US to even make it past the Group of 16. For the most part, Americans don't like being told they can't win anything. Hence, the feeling of togetherness with everyone rooting hard for the US.

BTW, if I saw someone crying because of this I wouldn't know what to think
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Indirectly hit on the race issue. Not sure if that was a Freudian Slip
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Indirectly hit on the race issue. Not sure if that was a Freudian Slip
laugh.gif

Man...I'm not buying that underdog %$$%.

I see people on Twitter going ape %$$% for something like "South Korea vs. Bolivia" or some %$$%...and they don't know a damn thing about soccer.

People that actually play basketball going #TEAMUSA during the World Cup....but couldn't tell you three names on the USA B-Ball team.

Man...I'm not buying that underdog %$$%.

I see people on Twitter going ape %$$% for something like "South Korea vs. Bolivia" or some %$$%...and they don't know a damn thing about soccer.

People that actually play basketball going #TEAMUSA during the World Cup....but couldn't tell you three names on the USA B-Ball team.

Man there are so many Facebook statuses about the World Cup from people I didn't even know HAVE ever watched a moment of sports on television. I think some of them are faking. But yea I can't remember if that happened from Redeem Team. I know it happened during Lakers vs. Celtics though. EVERYONE was a Celtics fan last week. Hahaha.

Man there are so many Facebook statuses about the World Cup from people I didn't even know HAVE ever watched a moment of sports on television. I think some of them are faking. But yea I can't remember if that happened from Redeem Team. I know it happened during Lakers vs. Celtics though. EVERYONE was a Celtics fan last week. Hahaha.

^Oh no! I didn't see race coming into this debate!

Typical NT. I expect better arguments out of you DC.

Back
Top Bottom