Why does J Cole get a pass but not Drake? Vol. Started from the bottom

Started from the Bottom now we here....Started from the bottom now my teams all f'n here. as simple as it is this song is anthemic. I can see it being in commercial on espn recaps and pep rallies from coast to coast. J cole isn't even buzzing like he was when he was this new kid in the game sonning dudes on their own songs.

Hick town in North Carolina?

Chill trying to slander my hometown. It's definitely not a major city, but it's far from a hick town.

But as for Cole, what I get from him is he grew up in a single-parent household and endured a little struggle. He witnessed friends and family members go down the wrong path and he chose to go down the right path. That sounds pretty authentic to me. I know plenty of people who should be dead or in jail, statistically speaking, but they made the best out of themselves and situation, and including myself. That's what people relate to.

I will say that he did go to high school that the rich kids go to, though.

^agreed

I'm from a pretty good city as well but growing up I had friends and fam who just decided to go down the wrong paths instead (selling drugs, in and outta jail, mugging folks, robberies, etc".... Which is why I like cole... I may not have gone thru it but I know people that did which is why I can relate.

On the surface, which is all fans really have to go on, Cole never seems outside himself. His words and stories appear genuine, whereas Drake comes across as a kinda cool, but goofy version of the person he portrays on wax.

First things first, amidst all the Drizzy Drake haters out there, I'm a big fan of both Cole and Drake.  I feel that they definitely are great in their own manner for what they bring to the plate today with this weaker generation of artists out there.  I can see why a lot of people "hate" Drake for the fact that he didn't really have a life story on the same "street" level as an Eminem, Mobb Deep, Notorious BIG, etc. 

However, why does everyone seem to overlook the fact that Cole went to college in NYC on a scholarship after coming from a hick town in North Carolina who played on the bball team in high school?!  Homie just did an interview that before he blew up, he had on office job in NYC in which his apartment manager gave him breaks on his rent and took it easy on his transition from the "after college life" to being a star. 

I understand Drake isn't an Eazy E coming up gangbanging, but Cole is no Daz Dillinger by any means either!  His biggest issue before putting out the Warm Up must have been getting to the rec center before it closed for pickup games, or figuring out the name to one of the shorty's that lived in his dorm...

Discuss

Fayettnam is not a "Hick" town, WE carry fo fives like change for a twenty!

Would've never expected NT to hate J.Cole

J.Cole is fire and appreciated :pimp:

That's how it is on NT. not just cole, but any artist. once someone gets a LITTLE buzz, it's over on here. Lol.

Speaking of corny. Y'all seen Drake at the all star game? Dude is a herb. But I mess with started from the bottom tho. Different from his usual sound but it's catchy as hell

lyrically Cole go wayy harder than drake. drake label situation jus given him a lil more stardom. no matter how soft he is & wet tissue he is

Don't understand the comparison. :rolleyes

Cole never said he 'started from the bottom.'

If anything, all he has done even since his COME UP days (The Come Up Mixtape) is mention how expensive his SALLY MAE bills are.
He makes more references to it in the Warm -Up.

He once again makes references to how much he owes to Sally Mae again in Friday NIght Lights.

and then ONCE AGAIN he makes references to how much student loan debt he has and how much he has to pay back to America on his debut album, Cole World.

So i mean...i know NT now considers him boring and doesnt pay attention. But if you really call yourself a fan, you'd know all of this. He's made it no secret that he went to college and worked on a degree. :smh:

All he's ever said is how its cost him an arm and a leg in debt...like many of us whove graduated.

i listen to cole from time to time but drake ole lame *** gets 0 play from me. Dude can make a catchy hook/song but that ole emo, depressing, sad music isnt my thing. Then again the only ymcmb artist i listened to in the last few years is ace hood and birdman belee dat

Chill trying to slander my hometown. It's definitely not a major city, but it's far from a hick town.

But as for Cole, what I get from him is he grew up in a single-parent household and endured a little struggle. He witnessed friends and family members go down the wrong path and he chose to go down the right path. That sounds pretty authentic to me. I know plenty of people who should be dead or in jail, statistically speaking, but they made the best out of themselves and situation, and including myself. That's what people relate to.

what high school did he go to?

and fayetteville is a military city....def not a hicktown....those places exist way outside of the cities in NC

That's how it is on NT. not just cole, but any artist. once someone gets a LITTLE buzz, it's over on here. Lol.

Speaking of corny. Y'all seen Drake at the all star game? Dude is a herb. But I mess with started from the bottom tho. Different from his usual sound but it's catchy as hell

Thats not why I think he's corny bro man. He just wack wit dumb punchlines.

they're both pretty corny end of story

and if starting from the bottom is being on a tv show I wish I started from the bottom

Living at my mama house we'd argue every month
LMAO!!! 

like some other cats said Drake on some *******t cuz how u was at the bottom if u starred on a national TV show as a teenager. but at the end of the day its a raw a** song.

Last edited:
Drake gets hated on cuz of his female tendacies and cats are jealous. He will stay relevant cuz of female fanbase. I honestly don't see Cole having longevity in the rap game.

what high school did he go to?

and fayetteville is a military city....def not a hicktown....those places exist way outside of the cities in NC

He went to Terry Sanford.

Cole gets a pass, because although he's slightly corny, he's the epitome of a regular *** dude. His "character" and raps are extremely relatable to the avg person. People say he, and other rappers like him, are "lame" because he doesn't spit enough "fantasy" raps. This generation is obsessed with hearing fantasy raps and things they've never done or will do.

Drake catches heat because he makes simp music, and we all know he was a child actor. He grew up in a fairly affluent, jewish section of Toronto, so people can't help but :rolleyes when he talks about "starting from the bottom".

And Cole will have long career, maybe not huge, Top 10, hits kind of career, but chances are he'll still be around in 7-8 years

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom