Why I Think Lasers Was a Good Album

First off, music is relative. Unless you're Thom Yorke or Kanye West, your taste isn't better than mine and vice versa. But with all these end-of-year lists naming Lasers as the biggest disappointment and after all the trash talk on here, I wanna give it some defense. I'm a fan of Lupe and I think this is his worst album by far.  But there's some gems that really make it a good album.  
"Break the Chain" "State Run Radio" "Beautiful Lasers" "All Black Everything" "Letting Go" and of course "Words I Never Said" were amazing songs imo with a lot of substance & honesty.  "Never Forget You" "The Show Goes On" and "TIl I Get There" are good songs that are listenable, but not up to Lupe's crazy standards. That leaves "Coming Up" "I Don't Wanna Care" and "Out of my Head"- just TURRIBLE- I won't argue that.  So for me, Lasers has 6 amazing songs, 3 above-average songs, and 3 bad songs. For a hip hop album in 2011, that's not bad at all. 

I understand the whole label situation made it somewhat negative from the beginning, but the final product is still good.  I honestly just want to know your opinions because I'm usually a harsh critic of albums that have been hyped, but not with this one.  Do you not agree on the songs? Or is it the production?? 

You're right. It is subjective...but Lupe himself makes it a point every time he can that HE didn't even like the album.

That speaks volumes.

compared to the cool and food and liquor this album was complete trash....

as you said, the album is listenable, but forgettable. In fact I'd thank you to not ever bring the album ever again as I had almost all but forgotten about it.

I know what Lupe said which def had an affect, but he clearly shows on some of the songs that he's depressed and self-destructive. So it almost makes sense

it wasn't just that he hated the album, it was he had the people behind him pressuring the label to release his album. Then he folds and puts this dud out. And a listenable song doesn't make it above average

Originally Posted by SneakerHeathen

this, I'm all for an artist growing musically but this was (i hope)  manufactured pop trash from the label. What the $%$$ happened to  Prolyfic & Soundtrakk (his main producer) from his previous albums.
I wanted to like Lasers but it was horrible.
ohwell.gif

1st & 15th Lupe
pimp.gif
nerd.gif

The thing to me is that even the better songs on Lasers had some corny element. Outside of Letting Go and maybe Words I Never Said none of the songs really seemed cohesive to me. Good premises for songs, good hooks, riddled with bad features and weak verses. Other songs had corny hooks and just screamed "I want pop recognition."

Listen to a track like Go to Sleep and Lightwork. This is what Lasers could have and should have been. He could have went the route he went with much more success.

Originally Posted by 504 D1 Prospect

this, I'm all for an artist growing musically but this was (i hope)  manufactured pop trash from the label. What the $%$$ happened to  Prolyfic & Soundtrakk (his main producer) from his previous albums.
ohwell.gif

1st & 15th Lupe
pimp.gif
nerd.gif

as you said, the album is listenable, but forgettable. In fact I'd thank you to not ever bring the album ever again as I had almost all but forgotten about it.
There it is.

Originally Posted by 504 D1 Prospect

ohwell.gif

1st & 15th Lupe
pimp.gif
nerd.gif
totes magotes

Album was decent.

Problem was Lupe's first two albums are Food & Liquor + The Cool. Without even mentioning his mixtapes that made this album pretty much unacceptable. Not saying that almost every other rapper doesn't do this eventually whether their choice or label's, but still...it happened and people r gonna be mad at a fall in quality

The lyrics were there... They weren't on some double meaning / breakdown type lyrics, but the message was still there. & that's fine considering the meaning & message behind the motto Lasers itself, so that's cool with me. The production & hooks was were I had a problem. Those gave off a sound that I wasn't used to with Lupe. The album still gets play from me I don't hate on it. When you compare it to his other work though, you see the differences. We all know it wasn't up to him though... This is moreso an Atlantic album than a Lupe album.

What worries me is he's already been having problems with Atlantic on F&L 2
30t6p3b.gif

indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by sixersdukejordan

"Break the Chain" "State Run Radio" "Beautiful Lasers" "All Black Everything" "Letting Go" and of course "Words I Never Said" were amazing songs imo with a lot of substance & honesty. 
Sorry homes, but I stopped reading. That hook 
indifferent.gif

Back
Top Bottom