Why is America the only country in the world that hates soccer?

Soccer is the most popular sport in the world. Every country in the world is big into soccer except for the United States. Why?

I dig the sport but I can't really get into it because the MLS is garbage and its kind of hard to follow European teams.

sorry but you FAIL with this thread. Not everyone in America hates soccer. you need to informed yourself better next time.

Because we suck at it
laugh.gif
. Jokes aside i couldn't really tell you. I love playing and watching european leagues when i get a chance cause like you saidthe MLS is garbage

I think it has more to do with the States' status on a sociopolitical scale than anything.

When I'm in the library looking at random journals and papers, our country having a myopic vision seems to be a recurring theme. This can range anywherefrom us still not using the metric system to us being among the last countries to use 3G technology in our phones. I don't even want to get into us stillnot having universal healthcare...

the USA-Mexico world cup qualifier in Columbus sold out in 90 minutes. America definitely doesn't hate soccer.

I think because other countries don't have the NFL,NBA,College sports like we do.

It never caught on like those, and never will.

There is no competiton for it overseas.

I don't think America hates soccer, just not good at it. So people don't care as much as they should.

I don't think it's because America hates it. I just don't think people find it as exciting. Why? I have no idea.

Originally Posted by SCuse7

I think because other countries don't have the NFL,NBA,College sports like we do.

It never caught on like those, and never will.

There is no competiton for it overseas.
That's a big part of it. Internationally, there really isn't anything else. In some regions there are other fringe sports (in terms ofAmerican interest), like rugby, cricket, etc. but those are generally the only alternative to soccer. America is the most diverse when it comes to sportsleagues and interest. Four major professional leagues, three of which where the best players in the world desire to play, the top golf league in the world,etc.

Oh, and disinterest =/= hatred.

i always thought that our founding fathers broke away from the crown because they hated soccer in the first place...then the brits started a war becuase theywanted us to like and play more soccer, and we said heck no we hate that poppy game and fired back and ya know we won so we just dont play soccer because it isun american...

i just dont think its an "american" sport? there is a huge emphasis on cricket in india and africa (i believe south africa) and about 0 emphasishere.

look at it this way our NFL is the worlds World Cup...we sell out huge stadiums to watch world cup play when they come to the states and Europeans sellout hugestadiums when the NFL travels across the atlantic. Everyone loves to see it, but there is no actual market for it.

Because we have $$$ and can play high tech sports. The only reason why soccer is the most popular sport worldwide is because it's dirt cheap. All you needis a ball and two dry spots on grass. Anyone can play soccer. That's how third world countries can get involved.

The more equipment needed the less popular it is worldwide because the cost goes up. Baseball is behind soccer, because all you need is a ball and stick.Basketball behind that, because you need a ball and a hoop. Football is only huge in America because of all the equipment needed to play.

I don't know what it is either, but I love FOOTBALL. Yes, the real football.

And I honestly thought after the USA's emergence at the 2002 WC they would get some more pub. Nope.
laugh.gif

Lack of a solid league at home (MLS) is one of the reasons. Everybody knows that the NHL, MLB, NBA are the best leagues for their respective sports in theworld (NFL need not apply). Why would I watch the MLS when I can watch the Premier League, Serie A or other leagues. It's not even close either.

All that being said, I want everybody reading this post to please watch the 2010 World Cup. It is the bestsporting event in the world (yes, better than March Madness, but not by much).

USA 2010!

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Because we have $$$ and can play high tech sports. The only reason why soccer is the most popular sport worldwide is because it's dirt cheap. All you need is a ball and two dry spots on grass. Anyone can play soccer. That's how third world countries can get involved.

The more equipment needed the less popular it is worldwide because the cost goes up. Baseball is behind soccer, because all you need is a ball and stick. Basketball behind that, because you need a ball and a hoop. Football is only huge in America because of all the equipment needed to play.
laugh.gif
maybe it's because football is no fun unlessyou're a qb, rb, and wr when you just get hurt.

come on now, you act like the whole world is poor minus America.

i'm sure most countries can afford to play football.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by PRETTYPLAYA

Because we have $$$ and can play high tech sports. The only reason why soccer is the most popular sport worldwide is because it's dirt cheap. All you need is a ball and two dry spots on grass. Anyone can play soccer. That's how third world countries can get involved.

The more equipment needed the less popular it is worldwide because the cost goes up. Baseball is behind soccer, because all you need is a ball and stick. Basketball behind that, because you need a ball and a hoop. Football is only huge in America because of all the equipment needed to play.
laugh.gif
maybe it's because football is no fun unless you're a qb, rb, and wr when you just get hurt.

laugh.gif

They can, but because other sports already had a big following it became the sport of choice. Football is still relatively new compared to baseball and soccer,in terms of establishing professionals. But, my point was spot on. Soccer and baseball grew in popularity through cultures who had no money. Once some of thosecountries started to prosper, they were already hooked on either baseball or soccer and felt no need to learn and develop a new sport.

And other countries DO play football. They just don't have professional leagues, so it never really grows because the professional leagues in othercountries are baseball, basketball, and soccer.

Originally Posted by PRETTYPLAYA

laugh.gif
maybe it's because football is no fun unless you're a qb, rb, and wr when you just get hurt.

laugh.gif

QFT, there are football leagues everywhere including Mexico and in some parts of south america....... money is not the issue...... people caring about it is

^ It isn't the issue so much anymore. Read my other post. People don't care because they have PROFESSIONAL leagues for other sports in their country.NFL only in America. The reason why these leagues were able to develop in various parts around the world was due to the cost of playing the sport.

Simple minded fools I tell ya. Think about the whole process.

^ It isn't the issue so much anymore. Read my other post. People don't care because they have PROFESSIONAL leagues for other sports in their country. NFL only in America. The reason why these leagues were able to develop in various parts around the world was due to the cost of playing the sport.

Simple minded fools I tell ya. Think about the whole process.
I agree with most of the things you've said but I think it goes a little bit deeper than that.

Could you imagine ESPN or any of our media infested society being content with covering 1 sport a year. In England, soccer is it! We have 4 huge sports (wellat least 3.5).

Soccer is so huge in England they don't need anything else.

Uh, the U.S. is a new country, only a few hundred years old. Soccer has been played for thousands of years in some form or another. By the time thiscountry got off the ground they were inventing baseball and other sports. Baseball is our soccer. Soccer is not apart of our history andit never will be. That's fine. That's why we are The New World.

Originally Posted by gko2408

America hates sports with low scoring.
It is so shallow - yet SO true.

Baseball - greatest popularity during the HR/steroids era with tons of runs.
Hockey - had to change the whole game a few years back.
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by JJGRT5

So your saying the reason pro soccer/baseball leagues were started was because it was cheap to play in other countries?

Yes, but not so directly. Think about it like this:

Country A: They have no money - Kids find a ball and start kicking it around, which eventually develops into soccer.

The popularity of the sport becomes big with kids and eventually adults.

Due to the popularity a professional league is formed.

The country starts to prosper and make money leading you to believe it would like to start developing football or baskeball leagues, but they can't. Notbecause of the money anymore, but because Soccer became so big in the process of them developing as a country that it was already a way of life and engrainedin the hearts of the countrymen and therefore any new sport would pale in comparison to it's only first love of soccer.

Back
Top Bottom