Why is America the only country in the world that hates soccer?

Originally Posted by JaiJai84

Futbol Football > any other sport.
Fixed.
grin.gif

But the World Cup is where its at.
pimp.gif
I can watch international soccer, butAmerican soccer or futbol is worse that watching baseball on TV.

To me it's just a boring sport. You can't really be clutch in it, the same way a football/basketball game hinges on one last play.

Sure you can. It's just that scoring is a lot lower, but it doesn't mean that last minute plays don't happen.

Like hockey, essentially defense wins out a lot more often. But it still happens.

Originally Posted by jredmond3

To me it's just a boring sport. You can't really be clutch in it, the same way a football/basketball game hinges on one last play.

TRUST me, yes you can....I have been playing soccer since I was 7 and there is no better feeling in sports than a game that is 0-0 in the 88+ minutes andscoring the game winning goal.....f.y.i. I have played all other major sports except hockey.

Soccer sucks... not to mention america already has Football/baseball/Basketball. Hell.. Golf is bigger then Soccer out here lol

Originally Posted by marionthebarberian

TRUST me, yes you can....I have been playing soccer since I was 7 and there is no better feeling in sports than a game that is 0-0 in the 88+ minutes and scoring the game winning goal.....

Like scoring the game winner in an away game, running to the opposing team's bench that had been talkin' !%@! to you all game and screaming,"%@$% ALL Y'ALL!!!!", and glady taking the yellow...

Nothing feels better.

Originally Posted by younggunn4z

Soccer sucks... not to mention america already has Football/baseball/Basketball. Hell.. Golf is bigger then Soccer out here lol
smh.gif

I have to thoroughly disagre with the guy that said football is popular because of the equipment.

It hold no weight at all

there are many reason why soccer is not big here.

Nationalism is why soccer sucks here. America thinks they are the best at everything. THey hype up the US national team to the point where if they fail peopleget irritated. Its the same thing with brazil in the last world cup and portugal in the euros. They had big commercials here about both teams and when theydisappointed people who are not major soccer fans are like this is what i am wasting my time on? Some countries are happy to just make it to the WC ex:Trinidad. USA feels they should be better than everyone(and the bias commentators omg!) its the worse to here foudy go landon donovon looked just like ballackon that pass. Its like *!!! n just commentate.

secondly. Not enough scoring for most americans. let each goal be worth 6 pts and people will watch. I love football, and sometimes i watch basketball but itdoesnt even COMPARE to soccer. I know its an opinion but its the most popular sport worldwide. You see all these communities regardless of money comingtogether to watch the big cups.(uefa cl, euro, wc etc)

thirdly. mixed americans like myself do appreciate soccer. I think it has to do more with kids who never played it as a kid. AYSO works wonders people.

Anyone hating on soccer just mad that when the world cup come around we take over all of espn and channel 7 for games. I guess we more important than ya think!

Edit* The French also hate soccer btw, just ask them about their national team and see what they say LOL

soccer is fun to play, but it is a poor spectator sport, at least for Americans.

just not enough scoring...

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

soccer is fun to play, but it is a poor spectator sport, at least for Americans.

The scoring is such a minuscule part of it, we love baseball and it ain't like you seeing 8-7 games nightly. Like others have said it ismainly because the average American doesn't have an understanding of how the sport is played. The reason why people around the world don't likeAmerican football as much as us is because they don't understand it.

y'all should get Steve Nash and Kobe to promote soccer football...
i heard Kobe's a beast in his Barcelona kit...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by jville819

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

The scoring is such a minuscule part of it, we love baseball and it ain't like you seeing 8-7 games nightly. Like others have said it is mainly because the average American doesn't have an understanding of how the sport is played. The reason why people around the world don't like American football as much as us is because they don't understand it.
i agree, although i was just speaking from my personal standpoint. i personally don't like baseball, or hockey and other low-scoring sportsfor that matter. and a lot of people feel the same way as me... they just don't like slow, low-scoring sports. remember, not EVERYONE likes baseball.

but yeah, i agree with you that Americans just don't understand the intricacies of the game. including myself, actually. like everyone else, i playedsoccer as a kid (travel team MVP in 3rd and 5th grade
pimp.gif
), but as i grew up i just dropped it for basketball and football. since that time, i've neverreally been able to watch soccer unless i have a rooting interest.

i would like an avid soccer fan to explain some of the interesting aspects of soccer. when you sit down to watch a 90-minute soccer game, what are some thingsyou're looking for? what do you pay attention to that would be behind the scenes at first glance? or do you just watch the game waiting for your team toscore, and nothing but pure anticipation keeps you focused?

Originally Posted by marionthebarberian

TRUST me, yes you can....I have been playing soccer since I was 7 and there is no better feeling in sports than a game that is 0-0 in the 88+ minutes and scoring the game winning goal.....

And you my friend, have just given the dude you are responding to, more fuel for the fire. Sure, scoring a goal in the 89th minute is a great feeling. But thefirst 88 minutes of the game there was nothing but boredom. And that is what the majority of the US has a problem with. And I heard a crazy stat that a fewyears ago something like 40% of games non tourney games ended in a tie. Why would one want to watch ANY sport if there was almost a 50-50 chance the game wouldnot have a winner?

I love watching the US team, but that's about it.

My reason is UofL, and every other major US sport is much more exciting to me to watch.

i would like an avid soccer fan to explain some of the interesting aspects of soccer. when you sit down to watch a 90-minute soccer game, what are some things you're looking for? what do you pay attention to that would be behind the scenes at first glance? or do you just watch the game waiting for your team to score, and nothing but pure anticipation keeps you focused

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

^^^You think he was funny by asking that, but its a very valid question. In baseball, every single pitch of the game can result in a score. In football, everysingle play can result in a score. In basketball, there is exponentially more scoring than any other sport. In soccer, there is so little actual attempts toscore. Doesnt the average professional goalie average like 4 saves per game? FOUR?!?!? That right there shows how little is really done in 90 minutes. TheUnited States loves scoring. You just dont get enough in soccer.

^ its because you guys suck at it though..thats why...

dont try to give it a blanket statement like "americans like to score! yeeehawww" ..its because you guys suck at the sport so its not shoved downyour throats....if you guys were good then espn would play it all day and you'd love it because that's all you'd know..but that's not the case.

I personally can't stand soccer because of all the flopping and faking. Stuff just doesn't belong in any sport. If you take out all the chanting fromthe fans, soccer is a mediocre sport in terms of entertainment.

Originally Posted by LamarOwnsem

Soccer is probably the most popular sport in America. In the United States? Not so much...
The Americas is what you meant to say.

I never saw it growing up.By the time I knew what soccer was, I was already a bballfan and a madden head. I even tried playing the soccer EA game but no go.

Originally Posted by after h0urs

I personally can't stand soccer because of all the flopping and faking. Stuff just doesn't belong in any sport.

If you take out all the chanting from the fans, soccer is a mediocre sport in terms of entertainment.

if thats your case then basketball should not be a sport either.

Back
Top Bottom