Why is America the only country in the world that hates soccer?

Originally Posted by JJGRT5

NVM........im out....... dont feel like arguing. BTW La Liga >>>>> _____

That's what I thought.
laugh.gif

Nah, in all seriousness you have good points, but I'm quite certain that a lot of sports origins and following in certain countries was started throughlack of funding.

Originally Posted by JCH3

Originally Posted by gko2408

America hates sports with low scoring.
It is so shallow - yet SO true.

Baseball - greatest popularity during the HR/steroids era with tons of runs.
Hockey - had to change the whole game a few years back.
indifferent.gif
Heaven forbid people want more things to cheer and be excited about. It's not shallow at all.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by JCH3

Originally Posted by gko2408

America hates sports with low scoring.
It is so shallow - yet SO true.

Baseball - greatest popularity during the HR/steroids era with tons of runs.
Hockey - had to change the whole game a few years back.
indifferent.gif
Heaven forbid people want more things to cheer and be excited about. It's not shallow at all.
You're right, shallow was probably the wrong word.

But when it is a 0-0 soccer match in the 87th minute, nothing beats the feeling of a goal at that point.

Team USA has been getting better recently

the time will come when soccer becomes popular in US

Premier League > La Liga

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

Premier League > La Liga

I think soccer is already popular in the US. It's just really hard to take over when you have sports that have been in America many many more years thansoccer.

Originally Posted by marionthebarberian

ya better start jumping on the bandwagon!!!! 2010 World Cup, we are getting at LEAST third place.

I like the sig
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
. Wish they wore those jerseys some time.

Third place? Anything could happen. I would be happy making it out of the group stage and winning the first knockout game. Anything after that will be gravy.

DTOMJerseyAuction05RedJersey.jpg
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I sometimes wish that espn would pick up other soccer leagues around the world but then I rethink that cause I know they would just show Premier League games
tired.gif
and it would get outta control like any other sport espn covers.

I can live with watching matches on the net at crazy times

you think if Cristiano Ronaldo came to the MLS, soccer would instantly become awesome in the States?

He's my favorite player by far and I try to watch him play as much as I could but it isn't easy.

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

Premier League > La Liga

laugh.gif
2hnw60w.gif

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

you think if Cristiano Ronaldo came to the MLS, soccer would instantly become awesome in the States?

He's my favorite player by far and I try to watch him play as much as I could but it isn't easy.

The Beckham experiment was a huge fail. Ronaldo can actually play though, so I'm not sure. But that will never happen.

Not at all. Beck couldn't change it and don't think anyone ever will. Even when the U.S. gets a great player the main goal is to playagainst top the competition in the world. The only place you can find that is overseas. CR will never come to play for an MLS team

Originally Posted by jville819

I sometimes wish that espn would pick up other soccer leagues around the world but then I rethink that cause I know they would just show Premier League games
tired.gif
and it would get outta control like any other sport espn covers.

I can live with watching matches on the net at crazy times
But showing Premier League games would require them to stop showing fantasy football shows all mid-day, even when the football season is over.

Originally Posted by jville819

Not at all. Beck couldn't change it and don't think anyone ever will. Even when the U.S. gets a great player the main goal is to play against top the competition in the world. The only place you can find that is overseas. CR will never come to play for an MLS team
Ronaldo is way better than Beckham but your right. He would never come to the MLS.... imagine how badly he would tear the league upthough...
eek.gif

Every country in the world is big into soccer except for the United States
WRONG. for many countries soccer isnt even the top sport. I can name dozens off the top of my head. The whole "US Hates Soccer"mentality has been overblown. If the US really hated soccer they wouldnt be showing it any coverage whatsoever.

If there are any Soccer heads out there you need to get on the Fox Soccer channel.

^ It's not just their skill level, it's the impact that they have on the game. More Americans know of Beckham than they do of CR. Name recognitionpeaks people interest and no one gave $!%% after about 2 weeks after Beckhams arrival

Originally Posted by The Yes Guy

When did we decide to call it soccer, and why?
Its an abbreviation for Association Football so that it could distinguished from American Football and other sports also called football at thetime(like rugby)

For a casual observer, soccer is not terribly engaging because many (myself included) don't appreciate the subtleties of the game. Due to football,baseball, and basketball programs being so prolific, we grow up participating in those sports and we understand the complexities of the games much better. Iread somewhere that huge numbers of American kids participate in youth soccer programs pre-middle school, but lots of them drop it and go with the big threesports from that point forward. As such, they don't develop the advanced understanding of a game that comes to you as you begin to play at a higher level.

I believe that explains why I can watch a baseball game that ends up 2-1 and enjoy it; I appreciate how the skill of the pitcher and fielders combine to holdthe offenses of the teams in check.

The same goes for football. While some might disagree, I find games between two teams with great defenses to be very interesting because I can watch the gamefrom the point-of-view of a person who understands defensive alignments, blitz packages, and coverage schemes. If I knew that stuff about soccer from aplayer's POV the games would probably interest me a great deal more.

Originally Posted by BEATSLIM

Its an abbreviation for Association Football so that it could distinguished from American Football and other sports also called football at the time(like rugby)

The term soccer originated in England, first appearing in the 1880s as a slang abbreviation of the word "association", oftencredited to former England captain Charles Wreford-Brown

Soccer is the most popular sport in the world. Every country in the world is big into soccer except for the United States. Why?

I dig the sport but I can't really get into it because the MLS is garbage and its kind of hard to follow European teams.

Because we have other sports to choose from and prefer it to soccer.

Its not that we hate soccer because the United States isnt any good at it. We won World Cups in 1991 and 1999. Its that the sport itself is boring.

Back
Top Bottom