Why is America the only country in the world that hates soccer?

Americans want instant gratification, soccer doesn't give you that.

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by LamarOwnsem

Soccer is probably the most popular sport in America. In the United States? Not so much...
The Americas is what you meant to say.
No, it isn't.

"America" is the collection of North America and South America.

USA ≠ America

Originally Posted by marionthebarberian

Originally Posted by after h0urs

I personally can't stand soccer because of all the flopping and faking. Stuff just doesn't belong in any sport.

If you take out all the chanting from the fans, soccer is a mediocre sport in terms of entertainment.

if thats your case then basketball should not be a sport either.
I was gonna say that exact thing, and i love basketball. Get outta here with that "Ican't stand that they always fake it"
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by jville819

Originally Posted by after h0urs

I personally can't stand soccer because of all the flopping and faking. Stuff just doesn't belong in any sport.

If you take out all the chanting from the fans, soccer is a mediocre sport in terms of entertainment.

if thats your case then basketball should not be a sport either.
I was gonna say that exact thing, and i love basketball. Get outta here with that "Ican't stand that they always fake it"
eyes.gif

I think when dude says "faking" he isnt really talking about the flop itself. He is talking about when a soccer player gets tripped, and he rollsaround on the grass holding his leg for 30 seconds, realizes he wont get the call, and gets up and sprints away. I hate this about soccer too.

Originally Posted by JRose5

Originally Posted by gko2408

America hates sports with low scoring.
Exactly.

JR5

Not really. There's plenty of more scoring in team handball (a sport I'm sure many here have seen in the olympics) than in football, baseball orhockey, but it's not popular in the U.S. at all. Or what about rugby? I'm sure there are some other sports as well where this logic doesn't holdwater. Also, if scoring was such a factor, then shouldn't basketball be much more popular than football or baseball in the U.S.? The scoring in baseballisn't much different than the scoring in soccer at all. Especially when you consider that in baseball, what essentially is a single score can count formultiple ones, depending on how much the bases are loaded.

The reason soccer isn't popular in the U.S. is because all the American sports (basketball) have either been invented in the U.S. or are modified versionsof European sports such as cricket (baseball) or rugby (football). The U.S. doesn't want to succumb to outside influence. Oh yeah, and winning is a factoras well of course - word to the exposure Tour De France got in the U.S. pre- and post- Lance Armstrong.

Nah. The only real reason is because the US sucks in soccer. The media and people would be all bat crazy if the US fielded an actually good team (not just onethat's ranked high).

Originally Posted by ILL LEGAL OPERATION

Americans want instant gratification, soccer doesn't give you that.

laugh.gif

Instant gratification? This video is funny, but trust me, you could make a much funnier video dissing baseball or football where players literally do NOTHINGon the field between the plays/pitches for about 30 seconds, and the plays themselves last 5-10 seconds. That is why basketball is the only U.S. sport that hasbecome international. Like soccer, and unlike baseball and football, basketball is a free-flowing game. Well, at least it could be if it wasn't for thestupid excessive time-outs and commercial breaks in the NBA, and if the refs would let the players play and cut down on fouls and stops in the game.

I think it was Jim Rome that said he'd rather have a son that figure skated than played soccer. What a knuckle head.

Aside from the MLS sucking, I think it's hard for Americans to get into soccer because it's hard to root for a team you have no connection to. With theexception of immigrants and die-hard fans, it's not like our dads grew up watching the game. It's a broad generalization, but still holds water Ithink.

will people stop saying the U.S.M.N.T. suck, we actually are pretty good...im telling ya, ya better start jumping on the bandwagon.

Originally Posted by swyftdahoe

Nah. The only real reason is because the US sucks in soccer. The media and people would be all bat crazy if the US fielded an actually good team (not just one that's ranked high).
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

I stoneface b/c saying "the reason is because the US sucks in soccer." Is both false and ignorant. I should have given him 11 stonefaces. One foreach member of USMNT. I think our team is good. I also think we will be fielding a top 12 team in South Africa next year. Saying that we are not in theWorld's elite of footballing is one thing, saying "we suck" is totally different. Don't tread on us.

i love how everyone here tries to pick out the ONE reason why soccer isn't popular in the U.S.

it's really a combination of many reasons that have been posted in this thread.

i think this method can get many ppl into soccer. i didnt care at all for soccer...but i scooped up fifa 06 during the world cup

and now soccer is my number 2 favorite sport behind basketball.

once u get good and learn how to score in fifa...ur gunna find yourself checking for soccer matches on TV, and watching your favorite teams/players in reallife as opposed to in a video game will feel awesome. then ur gunna find yourself watching champions league on ESPN like i'll be doing tomorrow
happy.gif

^ That's EXACTLY how I became a fan. It was during the 2002 WC. Copped fifa, started following the game. Became a fan - and now it's my 2nd favoritesport behind bball.

The thing about soccer is, once the bug bites you, it's over. You'll always be a fan - that's how the game is.

College basketball, NBA, college football, NFL...soccer can be pretty fun to play, but it is very painful as a spectator to watch

will people stop saying the U.S.M.N.T. suck, we actually are pretty good...im telling ya, ya better start jumping on the bandwagon.

False. Beating a @@!!%% Mexican team does not make you good. You guys failed to get out the group stage the last world cup. The U.S. is not a great soccerteam, and would not beat any of the great teams in games that matter.

Most of the points have already been addressed in this thread...

-a lack of an American soccer superstar
-U.S. does not care about sports its not good at
-a lack of history
-difficult to relate to teams located in Europe and South America
-low scoring
-U.S. has not achieved much success outside of continental tournaments

I dont buy the argument that "soccer is boring". Golf, NASCAR, Baseball, etc. are more popular in the U.S., you can not tell me that soccer is moreboring than those 'sports'.

deepinthejeep, I know that you're one of the biggest US national team supporters on here, but the team still isn't good enough to make an impact in theWorld Cup. Right now there are 10 countries that would beat the U.S. on any day of the week. After the top 10, it's really a toss-up but I still think thatthere are atleast 10 other countries in the world better than the U.S. in soccer. I know I'm going to sound like a douche for saying this, but the U.S. gotlucky by making it to the final 8 in 2002. 1 win in the group stage, the refs screwed Portugal over in their match with Korea, then you have the U.S. play in afavourable match-up against Mexico in the round of 16...the U.S. are unlikely to duplicate a top 8 WC showing in the near future.

With that being said, I think that the quality of U.S. soccer will only improve. The MLS is getting better and U.S. players are more skilled than ever. Youalso have a bunch of U.S. players competing in some of Europe's best leagues. If the U.S. can crack the final 8 of a future World Cup, and once they hostthe tournament again in the 2020's, the sports popularity will explode nationally.

Back
Top Bottom