Why is suicide looked down upon?

From what I've seen.... people who commit/attempt suicide affect many people.

And I'm not talking about emotionally.

I'm talking about the %%+@#$% who jumped off the highlevel bridge (a major road artery) during rush hour traffic in winter.
Crews of 50+ people had to be involved. The bridge was shut down. people diving in the water under ice to risk their own lives trying to find him
COME ON. go out silently

From what I've seen.... people who commit/attempt suicide affect many people.

And I'm not talking about emotionally.

I'm talking about the %%+@#$% who jumped off the highlevel bridge (a major road artery) during rush hour traffic in winter.
Crews of 50+ people had to be involved. The bridge was shut down. people diving in the water under ice to risk their own lives trying to find him
COME ON. go out silently

Originally Posted by Brandon3000

its a cop out. if i gotta be here in this #*$!#% life so should you!

but you dont have too

I don't know why its looked down upon, sometimes people feel that its the only option they have left.

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

COME ON. go out silently

qft

& screw the whole "your hurting your family & friends" stuff, they'll move on, they aren't the ones that have to leave with the depression/unhappiness

Originally Posted by Brandon3000

its a cop out. if i gotta be here in this #*$!#% life so should you!

but you dont have too

I don't know why its looked down upon, sometimes people feel that its the only option they have left.

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

COME ON. go out silently

qft

& screw the whole "your hurting your family & friends" stuff, they'll move on, they aren't the ones that have to leave with the depression/unhappiness

because you're hurting your family and friends. plus when it comes down to it, suicide isn't an easy thing to do no matter how depressed you are.

because you're hurting your family and friends. plus when it comes down to it, suicide isn't an easy thing to do no matter how depressed you are.

Originally Posted by CWrite78

It's also selfish for wanting somebody to live through w/e their pain is. Depression is different for everybody, not everybody can live with popping happy pills and seeing a therapist.
I don't condone suicide and always thought it was a selfish act.

Last month, I read this 4,000 word suicide letter written by this 23 year old man who wrote about his depression, suffrance, agony, and his pain of living due to being raped and molested for years as a child. After finishing reading that letter, I could never understand and feel or even imagine someone in his position to feel that low that you want to take your own life. I can't judge him for his actions. That letter is so sad.   

Originally Posted by CWrite78

It's also selfish for wanting somebody to live through w/e their pain is. Depression is different for everybody, not everybody can live with popping happy pills and seeing a therapist.

Last month, I read this 4,000 word suicide letter written by this 23 year old man who wrote about his depression, suffrance, agony, and his pain of living due to being raped and molested for years as a child. After finishing reading that letter, I could never understand and feel or even imagine someone in his position to feel that low that you want to take your own life. I can't judge him for his actions. That letter is so sad.   

Originally Posted by Hazeleyed Honey

CWrite78 wrote:

http://gizmodo.com/572666...ast-words-of-bill-zeller that one?

i read it too, and i completely understood why he did what he did.

Originally Posted by Hazeleyed Honey

CWrite78 wrote:

http://gizmodo.com/572666...ast-words-of-bill-zeller that one?

i read it too, and i completely understood why he did what he did.

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

Originally Posted by Club29

People love you whether you want to realize it or not.

Suicide hurts them more than you would ever know.

Thats why.

What is more selfish then making someone endure the pain of living just because YOU want them alive?
If I want someone to live it's not because I want them to endure pain for the rest of their life though...it's because I believe they can get pass that and eventually live and enjoy life from a peaceful standpoint for themselves...maybe it is selfish...justifiably so imo

I do think it's selfish when you take that approach to someone and dont do *+$+ about it either to help that person in need

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

Originally Posted by Club29

People love you whether you want to realize it or not.

Suicide hurts them more than you would ever know.

Thats why.

What is more selfish then making someone endure the pain of living just because YOU want them alive?
If I want someone to live it's not because I want them to endure pain for the rest of their life though...it's because I believe they can get pass that and eventually live and enjoy life from a peaceful standpoint for themselves...maybe it is selfish...justifiably so imo

I do think it's selfish when you take that approach to someone and dont do *+$+ about it either to help that person in need

I don't have problem against seppuku and assisted suicide, but I can't rationalize regular suicide, unless the reasons are extremely grave and practically hover around the euthanasia mark.

I don't have problem against seppuku and assisted suicide, but I can't rationalize regular suicide, unless the reasons are extremely grave and practically hover around the euthanasia mark.

but people divorce, quit jobs, transfer schools all the time. Why don't they just stick it out?

I don't understand how somebody's choice to end THEIR life is a problem. I thought we lived for ourselves not family and friends.

but people divorce, quit jobs, transfer schools all the time. Why don't they just stick it out?

I don't understand how somebody's choice to end THEIR life is a problem. I thought we lived for ourselves not family and friends.

Originally Posted by TruthGetsBusy

Things arent that black and white...what if you have children...you are just living for yourself then too?

Everything depends on the situation...We do live for ourselves...but it's not the ONLY thing we live for..$+%+ aint never that simple

Back
Top Bottom