Why isnt Demarcus Cousins as hyped as Greg Oden was?

When Oden was in high school everyone had him as a future  # 1 pick and a sure fire NBA star, despite having limited offensive skills and a questionable desire/ passion for the game..

On the other hand, I'm not saying has been flying under the radar, Cousins is more skilled and a lot more advanced than Oden is right now.

I've seen him display more post and counter post moves in 1 game than Oden has shown in 3 years. So why isnt he getting the hype that Oden got?

He's 6'11, has a takeover mentality, can put the ball on the floor, block shots and has very good footwork...

Is it because he's a knuckle head and everyone thought Oden was thie great guy?

Wall is taking the shine at Kentucky.

Come draft time we'll be talking about him plenty.

Do any of you think there's a GM out there that would consider taking Cousins #1 overall? Dude has ridiculous footwork and is a @$%$@*! bull around the basket who isn't afraid of contact. The main question is about his mental makeup. Once this dude gets his millions, is there going to be a desire to make himself any better? If his head is on straight, you're looking at a guy who could easily average 15/10 his rookie year. It's going to be interesting to see where he exactly goes in the draft when the time comes.

**I love Wall's upside, but Turner is more NBA ready and will have a bigger impact.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Do any of you think there's a GM out there that would consider taking Cousins #1 overall? Dude has ridiculous footwork and is a @$%$@*! bull around the basket who isn't afraid of contact. The main question is about his mental makeup. Once this dude gets his millions, is there going to be a desire to make himself any better? If his head is on straight, you're looking at a guy who could easily average 15/10 his rookie year. It's going to be interesting to see where he exactly goes in the draft when the time comes.

**I love Wall's upside, but Turner is more NBA ready and will have a bigger impact.
I understand it's you opinion and all but to be real, when i watch Turner play, he doesn't stand out to me the way Wall does. Don't get me wrong Turner has Magic Johnson type height with PG skills and is a walking triple double guy any game, but the thing about Wall is...The kid is just plainly insane, he's on another level in my mind because of his scoring ability and unselfish. Wall could average 20+ easily if he wanted IMO.

True, but coming out of high school everyone knew Oden was going to be the # 1 pick of the 2007 draft...hell, scouts had been predicting Oden would be # 1 when he was a sophomore in high school..

Cousins was more skilled as a high school senior than Oden was @ that same time but the media didnt anoint him the next great big man..

Cousins in a mental child. He is an idiot, hot head and can not control himself. This will hurt him in the Pros until he matures

Originally Posted by Airpenny1

Originally Posted by dreClark

Cousins isn't the defender that Oden was.

Also, Oden didn't have John Wall on his team.

This

The ONLY skill Oden has over Cousins is his ability to block shots...Cousins is just as good of a rebounder and is way more advanced on the offensive end of the ball...Oden still looks mechanical while Cousins is a natural scorer.

Originally Posted by High Class Scum Bag

This

The ONLY skill Oden has over Cousins is his ability to block shots...Cousins is just as good of a rebounder and is way more advanced on the offensive end of the ball...Oden still looks mechanical while Cousins is a natural scorer.
Good point.

I think blocked shots can come with time with D. Cousins too. If you just look at his body compared to Oden's (even when Oden bulked up) he just looks so much more natural and fluid on the court. With that being said, defense gets you to championships but perimeter play is what's going to win it.

Cousins has contolled himself just fine...like I said, dudes are just trying to bait him into doing something stupid now...it's become part of opposing teams' gameplans. He's got a big target on his back now, deservedly so, perhaps...and he continues to beast. Y'all see that hissy fit Varnado threw after his last foul? Had that been Cousins, he woulda got t'd up. Refs went to the monitors to see if he threw an elbow during a simple rebound during the LSU game, and it was ridiculous. Fair or unfair, he's become the bad guy...he's not out there to make friends, he plays to kick your +*$...and I love it.

Originally Posted by Shaq DIESEL 34

Not as Dominant... Oden was said to be NBA-ready since like Junior year in HS.

and number one hyped since sophomore year.
also he isnt THAT dude for UK.

Originally Posted by High Class Scum Bag

This

I agree. I never said all that other stuff wasn't true.

But Oden was hyped as the next Bill Russell. And Oden is more athletic than Demarcus. I'm not disagreeing w/ what you are saying, I'm just stating why Oden was so hyped. And Oden isn't a head case

You foolin' yourself Mike. Best post moves in college ball.

You don't grab as many rebounds as he does without good footwork and positioning.

what post moves Malta? he has done the same damn move since game 1

his footwork is horrible

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

You foolin' yourself Mike. Best post moves in college ball.

You don't grab as many rebounds as he does without good footwork and positioning.

co-sign...

and he's only playing like 21 min per night...so damn efficient.

Back
Top Bottom