[::WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS OFF-SEASON THREAD: 2 Weeks Away From Pre-Season::]

Originally Posted by NobleKane

wow all those unrestricted free agents lol this should be a good offseason for the lakers. you got a bunch of old bigs like joe smith, juwan howard, kurt thomas, ben wallace, drew gooden, big Z, and brad miller that could be had for cheap. maybe even shaq or JO
laugh.gif
yea just a pipe dream.. i really dont see an upgrade out there in FA at pg. might as well just keep garbage brown. gota few shooters out there in ray allen, mike miller, and kyle korver too

yup. Fresh off a repeat, the Lakers are pretty much gonna have their pick with MLE type money.  Hoping we can get a mike miller/kyle korver-esque type shooter or just someone to produce consistently off the bench.  T-back would be a huge gamble though, but if he can be had for very cheap, why not

Good bye Jordan Farmar, welcome back to L.A ... Earl Watson, a very sercivable PG off the bench.

I'm with it.

Jennifer Freeman
devil.gif

I saw something in that article Nas posted, I hope like hell it don't happen that way. 

I like Shannon.  Good kid.  Explosive.  5 years?  FIVE YEARS?  That better not ever happen.  So help me God if he gets a five year deal. 
In all honesty, I am pissed that kid doesn't know the triangle yet after bein there for 2 damn years.  He would be an even bigger asset if he knew the damn offense, but he doesn't.  He knows big fast break dunk, and long 21 footer.  That's it. 
smh.gif

I'd be ok with Ridinour, but I don't really like the idea of letting Farmar go.  I happen to think the kid could be good.  I wish there was a way to switch the roles of Farmar and Fisher, without upsetting any vets.  I think Farmar would be great with the starters, and Fish would be perfect off the bench.  But I know that's a hard thing to change. 

Anyone got a link for the parade today?

Originally Posted by purpleRElGN

For those that are curious, some playoffs numbers comparing the Shaq/Kobe and the Kobe/Gasol duo.

1999-2000 playoffs stats and totals (pts, reb, ast)
----------------------------------------------------
Shaq  30.7... 15.4... 3.1
Kobe 21.1... 4.5... 4.4

Shaq 707... 355... 71
Kobe 465... 98... 97

2008-2009 playoffs stats and totals (pts, reb, ast)
---------------------------------------------
Kobe 26.8... 5.2... 4.9
Pau  18.3... 9.4... 3.4

Kobe 695... 123... 126
Pau  420... 249... 58

2000-2001 playoffs stats and totals (pts, reb, ast)
Shaq 30.4... 15.4... 3.2
Kobe 29.4... 7.3... 6.1

Shaq 487... 247... 51
Kobe 471... 116... 97

2001-2002 playoffs stats and totals (pts, reb, ast)
Shaq 28.5... 12.6... 2.8
Kobe 26.6... 5.8... 4.6

Shaq 541... 239... 54
Kobe 506... 111... 87

laugh.gif
smh.gif
@ ppl thinking Kobe was basically Pau Gasol for the entirety of the 3-peat. 01 & 02 about as 50/50 as you can get in for a wing & a big.

Also, the stats don/t do any justice. Kobe was their lock down defender.  Also, when it was clutch time, the ball never even saw Shaq. 

In 2000 season (look at video i posted earlier) it was Kobe that led the the comeback in the 4th vs the Blazers.  He did that so many times.

In 2002, in game 7 vs Kings, Shaq had a killer 4th quarter and overtime, but it was Kobe that had 30 points through 3 quarters and thus commanded a double (triple) team in the 4th.

Just saying.  Dont let the loser (Charles Barkley) persuade you..

Also on a side note, every wonder why all the commentators (except Magic and Kenny) were big time losers.  I mean you got CWallace, GPayton, CBarkely, MJackson, JVG, DCollins calling these games (specifally Laker games) and you gotta wonder, imagine how these guys feel who never won anything in their lives (except GPayton but that doesnt count) calling Lakers games where Kobe is getting his 5th, Jackson getting his 11th, hell Odom getting his 2nd ring.  Sometimes I wonder if this is why I notice these guys are ALWAYS going against the Lakers when they are commentating.

As far as the free agents are concerned. What I've learned from this playoff run is that its ALL about DEFENSE and playing HARD.

We need to sign the BEST defender that we can get our hands on. We need defense and a player that will play really hard and hit the open jumper when he gets it. Lakers traditionally dont do well with pure shooters, maybe its too much pressure? But Lakers seem to always ruin a guys three point shooting percentage when they put on the purple and gold - unless they build him up to be a good shooter (like Ariza)

And McGrady would be a good addition if he signs for the absolute MINIMUM for only 1 year. That way if he is horrible, just give him the A.Morrison treatment and bench him all season.

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Mark Jackson against the Lakers? What games do you tune into?
roll.gif

You know I would have left his name out because I liked his commentating a lot all season but these NBA finals vs Boston, he was just constantly talking about Boston all series.  Maybe using the words "going against the Lakers" was not the right thing to say, but what I meant was these commentators were constantly talking about what Boston needs to do to win and constantly praising Bostons coach, and bench and players - even when they'd lose or win, it was all about what Boston had to do.  And Im sad that MJackson also joined that party.

Thats a commentators way of rooting for a certain team.

Originally Posted by purpleRElGN

For those that are curious, some playoffs numbers comparing the Shaq/Kobe and the Kobe/Gasol duo.

1999-2000 playoffs stats and totals (pts, reb, ast)
Shaq  30.7... 15.4... 3.1
Kobe 21.1... 4.5... 4.4

Shaq 707... 355... 71
Kobe 465... 98... 97

2008-2009 playoffs stats and totals (pts, reb, ast)
Kobe 26.8... 5.2... 4.9
Pau  18.3... 9.4... 3.4

Kobe 695... 123... 126
Pau  420... 249... 58

2000-2001 playoffs stats and totals (pts, reb, ast)
Shaq 30.4... 15.4... 3.2
Kobe 29.4... 7.3... 6.1

Shaq 487... 247... 51
Kobe 471... 116... 97

2001-2002 playoffs stats and totals (pts, reb, ast)
Shaq 28.5... 12.6... 2.8
Kobe 26.6... 5.8... 4.6

Shaq 541... 239... 54
Kobe 506... 111... 87

laugh.gif
smh.gif
@ ppl thinking Kobe was basically Pau Gasol for the entirety of the 3-peat. 01 & 02 about as 50/50 as you can get in for a wing & a big.

Goodness, look at the 2000-2001 season. I didn't realize how close Kobe and Shaq's numbers were.

Thanks for the stats.

Originally Posted by tmoney85

We need to sign the BEST defender that we can get our hands on. We need defense and a player that will play really hard and hit the open jumper when he gets it. Lakers traditionally dont do well with pure shooters, maybe its too much pressure? But Lakers seem to always ruin a guys three point shooting percentage when they put on the purple and gold - unless they build him up to be a good shooter (like Ariza)
Miami+Heat+v+Sacramento+Kings+8dUjklQjMN6l.jpg

Dorell Wright...young (24), athletic and can shoot (39 3PT%). The Lakers have had luck the past few seasons taking chances on athletic players who haven't found niches (Trevor Ariza and Shannon Brown). If I remember correctly, he even did a good job on Kobe 4-5 years back. Not sure if he'll return to the Heat or not (he's Dwyane Wade's best friend on the team but it may be time for him to leave).
Originally Posted by tmoney85

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Mark Jackson against the Lakers? What games do you tune into?
roll.gif

You know I would have left his name out because I liked his commentating a lot all season but these NBA finals vs Boston, he was just constantly talking about Boston all series.  Maybe using the words "going against the Lakers" was not the right thing to say, but what I meant was these commentators were constantly talking about what Boston needs to do to win and constantly praising Bostons coach, and bench and players - even when they'd lose or win, it was all about what Boston had to do.  And Im sad that MJackson also joined that party.

Thats a commentators way of rooting for a certain team.
I didn't notice it too much, but maybe that's because Mark Jackson is the biggest Kobe stan in the national media.

It's either we get Mike Miller or we get a point guard to replace Farmar; we can't have both unless the two players don't mind splitting the MLE (which I don't see happening).

I see that veteran big we're looking for being Kurt Thomas, Ben Wallace, or Shaq. It all depends on if any of them are willing to take the vet minimum, which is only a little over $1.3 mil.

I would love to see Nate Rob in PnG, love the energy he brings off the bench.
I have a feeling the Lakers wont be matching Farmars offer from other teams.

Since DJ and Powell wont be back

shaq-kareem-mikan.jpg

Shaq
pimp.gif

Can you imagine the City of L.A.'s reaction to bringing back Superman, it would be a parade in itself.

I don't see Lakers competing with any other teams for Farmar, teams are going to offer him big money.

Bring back Fish 1-2 year contract. 
Shannon Brown will probably exercise his player option to comeback, and Lakers can pick up a good serviceable PG.
Steve Blake stands out to me, so does Ridnour. 

Dorell Wright!

You (I NaSmatic I) my friend are a genius.

I love it. Almost sounds too good to be true. That would definitely be an amazing pick. I do remember him guarding Kobe really really well.

Free Agents:

Miller...yes
Korver...yes
Ray Allen...WOULD LOVE IT!!
T-Mac...no ( I just see visions of 2004 popping up in my head again with all those guys who used to be or are the man for different franchises...just too much)
Shaq...yes, but not happening, I just don't think Bean or Buss would have it after the way he's trashed them over the years

Our own players:

Fish...no brainer, bring him back
Farmar...hell no, good luck becoming a starting PG
Shannon...Chris Breezy is cool, but we don't need to overpay for him (ala Luke, Sasha, etc.)
Bynum...as much heart as he played with dude CANNOT stay healthy. His value is just going to go down after this, so if we can get another great big (Bosh) who isn't as big frame wise but has a 7 foot wingspan, rebounds even better, and is better on the offensive end, then we HAVE to do it.

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

Free Agents:

Miller...yes
Korver...yes
T-Mac...no ( I just see visions of 2004 popping up in my head again with all those guys who used to be or are the man for different franchises...just too much)
Shaq...yes, but not happening, I just don't think Bean or Buss would have it after the way he's trashed them over the years

Our own players:

Shannon...Chris Breezy is cool, but we don't need to overpay for him (ala Luke, Sasha, etc.)
Bynum...as much heart as he played with dude CANNOT stay healthy. His value is just going to go down after this, so if we can get another great big (Bosh) who isn't as big frame wise but has a 7 foot wingspan, rebounds even better, and is better on the offensive end, then we HAVE to do it.

I dont know about Korver.  I dont trust a guy who can literally ONLY shoot threes.  He cannot defend, cannot dribble.  Sounds like Radmonavic (except a slightly better shooter)

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

Free Agents:

Miller...yes
Korver...yes

Our own players:

My exact thoughts except I don't want Shaq to comeback.

LMAO @ Ron w/ the T-Pain hat with purple and gold feathers

Back
Top Bottom