Yao Ming or Dwight Howard? Who would you take starting a franchise.

Shaq has had a consistent post game since his rookie season. Yao has had a consistent post game since his rookie season. dwight howard has had 5 years todevelop a decent post game and yet he doesn't have anything close to resembling that at this moment. What makes you think he will magically improve hisfree throw shooting and hooks and post moves? If anything, I'd say his offensive potential has almost been reached.

Originally Posted by jumpmantwenty3

Shaq has had a consistent post game since his rookie season. Yao has had a consistent post game since his rookie season. dwight howard has had 5 years to develop a decent post game and yet he doesn't have anything close to resembling that at this moment. What makes you think he will magically improve his free throw shooting and hooks and post moves? If anything, I'd say his offensive potential has almost been reached.

shaq wasnt the as polished as he was during his title years with the lakers when he was young he had raw talent and some good moves.
but dwight came straight outta high school and he is still developing. he is not kwame brown he will improve maybe not free throw shooting but his post gamewill improve

Shaq has had a consistent post game since his rookie season. Yao has had a consistent post game since his rookie season. dwight howard has had 5 years to develop a decent post game and yet he doesn't have anything close to resembling that at this moment. What makes you think he will magically improve his free throw shooting and hooks and post moves? If anything, I'd say his offensive potential has almost been reached.

and he has raised his scoring avg ever year he has been in the leauge

Shaq and Yao didnt come straight out of high school like Dwight Howard. He's only 23
eek.gif
Look at him he looks so young

3231967327_6a88d10960.jpg

Yao easily and also when they play head to head yao clowns him everytime and shuts him down...

Originally Posted by JO HOUSTONE

Yao easily and also when they play head to head yao clowns him everytime and shuts him down...
its not juss yao if you aint recognized the rockets play very good team defense

Only thing I don't like about Howard is that he is such a monstrous force, that he probably feels he never has to develop a shot. I'm just sayin...

You cannot buld a franchise around Dwight, for reasons I stated earlier. He needs another SUPERstar playing with him. Someone to take over games late, when hebecomes the invisible man. He is not the kind of center that you can put complimentary pieces with and win championships. Your best player cant be a playerthat your team avoids in the most important part of all the games because of his shooting inefficiencies. Not to take anything away from the Big Aristotle, butdo you think he wins those championships without Kobe or Wade? Your best player needs the ball down the stretch of a game, not a player you hope doesnt touchit every possession. You will rarely win close games if not.

So with that being said, how can someone say they would rather build a franchise around a player like this, where you can have the best polished center in thegame, who shoots 80% from the line? Yao can be the focal part of an offense and only needs good complimentary players around him to succeed. He doesntnecessarily need a superstar. The answer to this question should be Yao, not a player who dominates for 3.5 quarters, then disappears during the most importantpart of the game.

I wonder what you'd get if you paired Yao with another star player. T-Mac, as much as I liked his game, is not a star and has not been for a while now.He's never been that big time player. Ron Artest? I love this guy but he's no star either. I'm pretty sure Yao's going to finish off his careerin Houston so I'd like to see whether Houston is able to attract/grow any top talent in the near future.

Dwight because I know he's going to play a full season without breaking down...and because 19 and 9 rebounds isn't as hard to come by from a big man inthis league as 23 and 14. I've always been fan of the beasts period...I'll take those over those finesse jump shooting big men any day. Yao CAN playwith his back to the basket but he's just not going to scare people in the paint like Dwight does. You'll never see Nate Robinson or some other guardtrying to come from the weakside on Dwight because he's going to put them through the basket along with the ball.

Too much is made about this whole "jump shooting" thing with big men. I need my big men to get their %+! on the block (pause)....PERIOD. If they canshoot I consider that a bonus but the last time I checked...two points is two points. Because it's coming from 18 feet doesn't make it any better. IfHoward dunking the whole game is getting him more points than Yao Ming who has that pretty jumper...what difference does it make?

Take Amare for example...I'd rather have the non shooting version of Amare than this jump shooting version ANY DAY of the week. When you're a beast andyou can't be stopped on that block...get your +++ down there and DO work...

If Im picking now Im taking Dwight

If they were the same age without Yao's injury issues, I would take Yao

Originally Posted by Pretty Toney

Dwight because I know he's going to play a full season without breaking down...and because 19 and 9 rebounds isn't as hard to come by from a big man in this league as 23 and 14. I've always been fan of the beasts period...I'll take those over those finesse jump shooting big men any day. Yao CAN play with his back to the basket but he's just not going to scare people in the paint like Dwight does. You'll never see Nate Robinson or some other guard trying to come from the weakside on Dwight because he's going to put them through the basket along with the ball.

Too much is made about this whole "jump shooting" thing with big men. I need my big men to get their %+! on the block (pause)....PERIOD. If they can shoot I consider that a bonus but the last time I checked...two points is two points. Because it's coming from 18 feet doesn't make it any better. If Howard dunking the whole game is getting him more points than Yao Ming who has that pretty jumper...what difference does it make?

Take Amare for example...I'd rather have the non shooting version of Amare than this jump shooting version ANY DAY of the week. When you're a beast and you can't be stopped on that block...get your +++ down there and DO work...

and when he gets fouled and it's a coin toss on whether he makes both in the 4th what then? It says something when you go to Turkoglu for the final shots.

Some of you really havn't seen D12 play that much, have you?

He is improving his post game, he is beginning to have a great left hand around the basket. He can sweep hook with either hand now and is still improving eachfacet of his game. Teams need to double team him because no one is guarding D12 one on one, I'm sorry, that just isn't happening...and he'slearning now to pass out of the double team pretty effiecently now.

Last night they got the lead in the Celts game by going to Dwight and Shard on the block and him passing out of the double team. And even in the 4th quarter,when the COACH goes away from Dwight, once he gets the ball it's almost always 2 points. (See middle of the lane, fake spin, right hook over Perkins.)It's the coaching staff not trusting Dwight with the ball, the TEAM goes away from Dwight.

Once they stopped feeding the post is when the Magic started to lose the lead.

Howard > Yao. All day.

--I'd also like to mention that I don't think Dwight had a single dunk in last night's game and still did work.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

If I'm picking RIGHT NOW, all things considered?

Dwight, and I don't think twice... I honestly think you're out of your damned mind if you pick Yao...

Originally Posted by dland24

You cannot buld a franchise around Dwight, for reasons I stated earlier. He needs another SUPERstar playing with him. Someone to take over games late, when he becomes the invisible man. He is not the kind of center that you can put complimentary pieces with and win championships. Your best player cant be a player that your team avoids in the most important part of all the games because of his shooting inefficiencies. Not to take anything away from the Big Aristotle, but do you think he wins those championships without Kobe or Wade? Your best player needs the ball down the stretch of a game, not a player you hope doesnt touch it every possession. You will rarely win close games if not.

So with that being said, how can someone say they would rather build a franchise around a player like this, where you can have the best polished center in the game, who shoots 80% from the line? Yao can be the focal part of an offense and only needs good complimentary players around him to succeed. He doesnt necessarily need a superstar. The answer to this question should be Yao, not a player who dominates for 3.5 quarters, then disappears during the most important part of the game.
naw man yao needs another superstar cause he doesnt dominate games he needs that other star

Dwight and I wish they had more of a killer instinct in both of them because they have all the God-given talent in the world.....Yao is the better offensiveplayer and Dwight=DPOY the injury bug brings Yao's value down imo.

D12= Very Overrated, partly due to Marketing
Yao=Underrated

Not sure on who I'd pick though, probably d12 because of potential, and yao has gotten injured.

Originally Posted by CE0 Mal

Some of you really havn't seen D12 play that much, have you?

He is improving his post game, he is beginning to have a great left hand around the basket. He can sweep hook with either hand now and is still improving each facet of his game. Teams need to double team him because no one is guarding D12 one on one, I'm sorry, that just isn't happening...and he's learning now to pass out of the double team pretty effiecently now.

Last night they got the lead in the Celts game by going to Dwight and Shard on the block and him passing out of the double team. And even in the 4th quarter, when the COACH goes away from Dwight, once he gets the ball it's almost always 2 points. (See middle of the lane, fake spin, right hook over Perkins.) It's the coaching staff not trusting Dwight with the ball, the TEAM goes away from Dwight.

Once they stopped feeding the post is when the Magic started to lose the lead.

Howard > Yao. All day.

--I'd also like to mention that I don't think Dwight had a single dunk in last night's game and still did work.

It how the Magic played so well with out Dwight in game 6.
Yao has the better Offensive Skill set, and that will never be close.
If you want to run an offense, you want Yao on your team every time. he more than justa dunker. feel like Dwight gets tunnel vision when gets the ball.
The rockets havent been one of the top defensive teams for a reason so the defense difference isnt that large for me
Im taking Yao

This is not even an question. I'm taking D12! You guys bring up the point of Yao's offensive skill set but D12 has half of those moves and stillaverages more pts. So what if he gets all dunks and layups! A dunk is the highest % shot in bball so i'd take a dunk every possession if possible. Peopleknock Dwight so much because he's still raw! I'd take 23 and 14 RAW anyday. Just like Yao scores in ways that Dwight cant its also vice-versa. I'ma Rocket fan 4 life but I cant remember the last time I saw someone lob an alley oop to Yao and he's 7'6"! Dwight also controls the paint betteron defense. He's really what a true center is supposed to be like...defense, rebound, control the paint...

Back
Top Bottom