Any airforce nters.....

Originally Posted by x1xJIGSAWx1x

Originally Posted by SnkrFrk

Army here, I was going to join the Air force but I have this tat on my hand..so it was a no go. Chair Force is cool tho.

Never heard of that. Im guessing tattoo policy is just about it being visible right? A tat on the upper arm wouldnt matter would it?

Yeah, It's only a problem if its visible with the uniform on, or inappropriate. (ex. hands, neck or gang related.)

Originally Posted by LongRange3Ball

I'm currently in AFROTC... will be putting on LT bars a year from now. Trying to get an intelligence slot, but right now I'm slated for pilot training after graduation.

Most of the AD guys that come to talk to us (they wouldn't BS us I don't think... the juniors/seniors who come back from 'boot camp' are committed to service already) say that the base experiences are what you make of it. Granted, some locations might suck more than others, but it's mostly how you take it.
Exactly my point Sir ...

You can be at the best location ever and if you have that one Ahole .. you will hate life. However you are stong minded make the best of the situation itshouldnt be a problem at all ...

Many guys that bash the Marines, do so because its a lot harder than staying home and playing SNES ...

I was in for 4 years in Security Forces (cops) at Whiteman AFB, MO and did 7 months in the desert also. The AF is really chill but do not become a cop, thework sucked but the off time was great. Maybe if I picked a different job I might of stayed in. The SF field has a very high deployment rate so that is anotherdowner. Lastly, when talking to a recruiter do not go in without a guaranteed job.

Army here, I was going to join the Air force but I have this tat on my hand..so it was a no go. Chair Force is cool tho.

Never heard of that. Im guessing tattoo policy is just about it being visible right? A tat on the upper arm wouldnt matter would it?

Yeah, It's only a problem if its visible with the uniform on, or inappropriate. (ex. hands, neck or gang related.)

not for nothing man .. but I worked across a National Guard unit and man .. those dudes give the Army a bad rap .. none of them could be within rags whetherheight/weight or grooming standards and they made a mess everywhere .. never police call or anything .. all it took was one call to the base general and all ofthem where kicked out the BLDGs to huts outside .. SMH! this was on a Navy base for that matter ...

OP .. yeah tats are something that the Marines are trying to eliminate people for as well .. if you have neck and hands tat don't even bother and if yourtats are visible in pt gear you might need a waiver if they even consider you as well .. plus everyone that had tattoos before they implemented the new regshad to get all their tats documented and put in their personal records .. meaning if they get others that are visible, punishment can be handed ..

Originally Posted by Jibiller06

I was in for 4 years in Security Forces (cops) at Whiteman AFB, MO and did 7 months in the desert also. The AF is really chill but do not become a cop, the work sucked but the off time was great. Maybe if I picked a different job I might of stayed in. The SF field has a very high deployment rate so that is another downer. Lastly, when talking to a recruiter do not go in without a guaranteed job.
thank you. And yes i have heard about security forces and that is out of question. Im leaning toward missile and space maintenance . Or somethingintel? Not completely sure. But so before i leave for bmt i should have a gurenteed job for me?

Just commissioned as a 2LT after going through AFROTC. Got into intel, but was awarded an educational delay to attend law school. Pops is in the Air Force, soit's basically all I've known.

Can't complain about the quality of life. The AF has always treated us well, the quality of bases vary but overall, you'll be well provided for.

Pay is what it is. As a lawyer I could be making much more $$$ in the private sector, but IMO the benefits, travel opportunities, and experience make up forit.

As for the beef between the other services, to each his own. Each branch has its pros and cons - none are better or worse than any other. When it comes down toit, every branch, through its various capabilities, serves the same basic mission in the name of the United States.

thanks. but nah i dont have any tats just a friend who is also thinking about joining has one on his arm/shoulder.

Jibiller06 wrote:
I was in for 4 years in Security Forces (cops) at Whiteman AFB, MO and did 7 months in the desert also. The AF is really chill but do not become a cop, the work sucked but the off time was great. Maybe if I picked a different job I might of stayed in. The SF field has a very high deployment rate so that is another downer. Lastly, when talking to a recruiter do not go in without a guaranteed job.
thank you. And yes i have heard about security forces and that is out of question. Im leaning toward missile and space maintenance . Or something intel? Not completely sure. But so before i leave for bmt i should have a gurenteed job for me?

yeap, if not you go in as open contract and they will stick you where they need you ....

Originally Posted by jcach

Just commissioned as a 2LT after going through AFROTC. Got into intel, but was awarded an educational delay to attend law school. Pops is in the Air Force, so it's basically all I've known.

Can't complain about the quality of life. The AF has always treated us well, the quality of bases vary but overall, you'll be well provided for.

Pay is what it is. As a lawyer I could be making much more $$$ in the private sector, but IMO the benefits, travel opportunities, and experience make up for it.

As for the beef between the other services, to each his own. Each branch has its pros and cons - none are better or worse than any other. When it comes down to it, every branch, through its various capabilities, serves the same basic mission in the name of the United States.
Well put.

Yes, you should get a guaranteed job, the recruiter might try to force you go in as "open-general, mechanical..." if your not in a rush to leave forBMT hold out until you get a guaranteed job. And with those missile jobs you will probably get stationed at some base in Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota. It isall what you make of it.

My good friend is currently in the air force base as of now at Lackland AFB and can't wait for him to come back so we can party lol. He enjoys it thoughand all my boys proud of him, the worst thing is he getting shipped to North Dakota a month after he returns home and i don't know how that's going togo.....Does anyone know about how it is like to get stationed out in "Wyoming, Montana, and North Dakota?"

Originally Posted by memphisboi55

great force
medical technician
on base now, but been offbase too. go offbase, im trying to this summer if i find a house.
june 22nd will be 5yrs
Thank you for posting. And what do i have to do before i can live off base and how much allowances will i get when i first leave base.

depends base..

first off youll be in dorms unless your a officeer or married or have a child living with you.
unless the dorms are over 75% filled at the base you are at, you have to be in there 3yrs or be a senior airman. ( e-4 in air force )

how much.. depends base and ranking and if your married or single.

http://usmilitary.about.c...ingallowance/a/09bah.htm

Thanks for everything. and i know i couldnt move off base at e1 just wondering when i actually could. And about the marines i def. understand why ppl would join that branch. Strong brotherhood and a lot of pride. But i have a few air jobs i have looked into and i know thats the branch i want. What bases could i be put over seas? i know air force isnt over seas as much as other branches tho...or so i have heard.

There are lots of overseas bases.

heres a list of all overseas bases.... just click continue and click drop down.

http://www.airforce.com/baseloc/index.html

C/P from the last thread about this.

This will be my 4th year in the AF and I plan on signing up for another soon. I joined right after high school and it was the best decision I ever made. Greatlife experiences, I would actually recommend a military hitch (well the AF) for almost anyone not going to college. It's a good deal. So far I've hadexperiences others would never in their lifetime experience. As a 19 y/o I was sent to my first base in England. I spent the next few years traveling Europeand going to college that was 100% paid for by the military.

There is a common misconception that the military life style is a sub standard one, especially when it comes to income. This is false. When you consider allthe things the gov. pays for (college tuition, rent, food, clothing, med bills. etc) you have more income then most people at that age/experience in thecivilian world.

My only advice is to talk to your recruiter and get a guaranteed job you want to do - and not be talked into "Open General" b/c they can put youwhere ever they want, and that will probably be a cop or even worst a cook!

OP, to address your living situation question, normally Airmen who aren't married and don't have any kids lives in the dorms. (That should give you ahint on the quality of AF life, we live in dorms while other services live in Barracks and ships
laugh.gif
) Actually dorm life is decent. I've actually had someof the best times in my life as a young cat in the dorms. It's like the whole college experience with out the school and with the addition of having $ inyour pocket.
Normally once you reach your Senior Airmen mark or 3 years time in service they give you the option to move off base. Right now I live about 30 mins away fromSeattle, my rent is about $1200 and it's all paid by the AF.

Originally Posted by Hoosier Bad Boy 11

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

From what I've been told by people in Marines/Army(Fizzy)/Navy, Join the Air Force if you want to enjoy your time in the militray.

I see this quite often. USAF Fire Fighter 2 years and going Scott AFB, ILL I'm going to Afghanistan in 45 days.
There are no air force bases there, atleast from what ive found. so is that just a special deployment to complete a certain job or what?

laugh.gif
He's going to deploy, like the people you always hear about on the news going to war to fight...?

Yeah, thats what hes doing, FIGHTING FOR YOUR FREEDOM!

ALL branches are over there together.

Originally Posted by Jibiller06

thank you. And yes i have heard about security forces and that is out of question. Im leaning toward missile and space maintenance . Or something intel? Not completely sure. But so before i leave for bmt i should have a gurenteed job for me?

Yes, or basically you will get something random . and you wont find out until the end of basic training.

Originally Posted by memphisboi55

Originally Posted by Hoosier Bad Boy 11

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

From what I've been told by people in Marines/Army(Fizzy)/Navy, Join the Air Force if you want to enjoy your time in the militray.

I see this quite often. USAF Fire Fighter 2 years and going Scott AFB, ILL I'm going to Afghanistan in 45 days.
There are no air force bases there, atleast from what ive found. so is that just a special deployment to complete a certain job or what?

laugh.gif
He's going to deploy, like the people you always hear about on the news going to war to fight...?

Yeah, thats what hes doing, FIGHTING FOR YOUR FREEDOM!

ALL branches are over there together.

I know all of the branches of the U.S. military like to bash each other but in the end we are all fighting for the same cause. ONE TEAM ONE FIGHT.

Originally Posted by RiKaN HaVoK

Thanks for everything. and i know i couldnt move off base at e1 just wondering when i actually could. And about the marines i def. understand why ppl would join that branch. Strong brotherhood and a lot of pride. But i have a few air jobs i have looked into and i know thats the branch i want. What bases could i be put over seas? i know air force isnt over seas as much as other branches tho...or so i have heard.
there are a few bases overseas .. more than you think .. plus anywhere a C5 can land you have a chances to be at ....

just look for Air Force bases overseas .. the Marine have the least bases but we can go to any embassy .. so it =s out ....

plus the Marines also have fighter jets helicopters and airplanes ... don't be fool!
Thanks. I didnt know i could go places not listed as afb on the site. Didn't mean for this to get into big argument but thanks for your help.
Yes, we have lot of army people on our air force base.

Or you can be a reservist, and be put on active duty orders for like a year. then after go back to working weekends only once a month , plus its easier to makerank that way too!

ONE THING I MUST SAY, AIR FORCE....... THE WAY WE HAVE TO MAKE RANK IS THE WORST.

ITS BASED ON HOW WELL YOU SCORE ON A MULTI CHOICE TEST.

UNLIKE OTHERS, ITS MOSTLY BASED ON YOUR WORK PERFORMANCE.

SO YOU COULD BE THE BIGGEST SLACKER, BUT A BOOKWORM AND MAKE RANK.

smh.gif

Originally Posted by RiKaN HaVoK

not for nothing man .. but I worked across a National Guard unit and man .. those dudes give the Army a bad rap .. none of them could be within rags whether height/weight or grooming standards and they made a mess everywhere .. never police call or anything .. all it took was one call to the base general and all of them where kicked out the BLDGs to huts outside .. SMH! this was on a Navy base for that matter ...

OP .. yeah tats are something that the Marines are trying to eliminate people for as well .. if you have neck and hands tat don't even bother and if your tats are visible in pt gear you might need a waiver if they even consider you as well .. plus everyone that had tattoos before they implemented the new regs had to get all their tats documented and put in their personal records .. meaning if they get others that are visible, punishment can be handed ..

Yes, air force you can have all the tats you want as long it doesnt show in uniform..... but in your short sleeve dress blues shirt, it may can show on yourarms, but in good taste. i know bunch of people in air force with tats,

BUT IF ITS UN ACCEPTABLE, THEY PAY FOR IT TO BE REMOVED LOL.

Originally Posted by royster

My good friend is currently in the air force base as of now at Lackland AFB and can't wait for him to come back so we can party lol. He enjoys it though and all my boys proud of him, the worst thing is he getting shipped to North Dakota a month after he returns home and i don't know how that's going to go.....Does anyone know about how it is like to get stationed out in "Wyoming, Montana, and North Dakota?"

COLD!

laugh.gif

Hope he likes being in touch with nature.

But i work with people who been there, as they say, some liked it, some hated it.

all what you make of it.

if you sit and do nothing everyday, depressing yourself, its going to suck.

Originally Posted by The Rat Pack Is Back

is anyone here an officer?

OFFICER >

MORE MONEY
DONT HAVE TO PUT UP WITH ALL THE BS
MORE RESPECT

BUT NOT AS MANY CHICS TO MESS WITH AS ENLISTED, AND OFFICERS AND ENLISTED CANT " GET DOWN " WITH EACH OTHER. OR ELSE ITS A WRAP.

MY OLD OFFICER IN CHARGE, A CAPTAIN, WAS MESSING WITH A MASTER SERGEANT, HIGHER UPS FOUND OUT, HE GOT KICKED OUT, AFTER 15 YEARS SERVICE. ONLY 5 MORE UNTILRETIREMENT!!!

THE CHIC, THEY DID NOTHING, MAYBE GOT IN TROUBLE ON PAPER. ABOUT IT. SHE GOT TO RETIREMENT WITH ALL HER BENEFITS.

smh.gif

BUT HE "MAY" HAVE GOTTEN EARLY RETIREMENT, I DIDNT WANT TO GET IN HIS BIZZ. I SEE HIM EVERY NOW AND THEN, HES GOOD AND HAPPY TO BE OUT THOUGH LOL.

Back
Top Bottom