Arrogance of having a college degree

fontaine

Banned
*disclaimer: i hope this thread doesnt turn into whether you should got to college*

but i HATE the arrogance some people have when they get a college degree..

i mean... its an accomplishment, dont get me wrong... i enjoy how people can put together a certain amount of time in their young lives and dedicate it to something like that...

but the entitlement people have is :x

also, i don't understand why that just makes people all of sudden better...

like "i have a girl, really nice, COLLEGE EDUCATED, sexy etc"...

that's ok... but when people start saying my _____ "has to be COLLEGE EDUCATED" that just rubs me the wrong way...

and this is coming from someone that's a less than a year away from a Master's...

People in my classes think they're just SOOO much higher than the next man... like, they cant take someone's advice or info if they dont have a 4 year degree AT LEAST.

:smh:

please dont let these degrees go to your heads, or make you not appreciate those without one...

cuz SOOOO many people have degrees now, my g. you aint that special.

Last edited:
I think its really the bachelor degree crowd. It's the white collar > blue collar mentality. I blame the system as much as the individual.

Bachelor degree is the new high school degree. It really doesn't hold the weight that it used to. So I agree....I hate when I see people act like hot **** because they have a 4-yr degree. Tons of people have them (myself included) and it wasn't really difficult at all to obtain. All it took was $$ and some effort.

Haven't ran into anyone with this mentality yet, I've seen it on different sites doe.

For someone that's one year away from his Masters you write like a 3rd Grader.

This is coming from someone that English, it's his 3rd language ....

he might be typing from his phone doe

Last edited:
op i somewhat agree with u but earning a college degree is no easy task, my friend. countless nights of reading, writing, and memorizing can take a stressful toll on a young student. so when one does accomplish their academic goals, i cant blame them for feeling a little "arrogant," if thats the right word. its as if deep down inside, they feel "hey, i powered through all the stressful days & nights to earn this degree, what did u do?"

So with you working on a Master's, would you enter a relationship with a woman that didn't have a degree and was not building on some type of career?

Bachelor degree is the new high school degree. It really doesn't hold the weight that it used to. So I agree....I hate when I see people act like hot **** because they have a 4-yr degree. Tons of people have them (myself included) and it wasn't really difficult at all to obtain. All it took was $$ and some effort.
Okay but by that same token... How do you look at people who don't finish high school? If the B.S. is the new diploma, then maybe you should expect people to get one.

One thing that keeps me from acting like I'm better than everyone is that I feel stupid for paying the amount of money a degree costs. It's really a rip off, but college is such an eye opening experience. When I see peeps from high school who never went, I really do feel like they are living with an inferior perspective on things. That said it comes down to money at the end of the day. If they come from money, they experience life anyway. But if they come from humble beginnings and they never had the chance to see the world and meet different people, its like living in a cardboard box with a glass ceiling. Everything just goes over their head.

Edit: but in a relationship there's no excuse.. you have the ability to open their eyes to the world. If you're college educated there's no reason you can't teach your knowledge to your significant other and have a great time together.

Last edited:
got my BS and I know that i'm like K.r.i.t. "I ain't s***"

seriously though this bothers me. I don't even like to bring it up because of the stigma of arrogance. A lot of my classmates look down on others without it, and I hate that. I don't even bring mine up other than on my resume or if people ask me if i'm in school and I downplay it like "naw I finished up at UMD last year or whatever..." and keep the convo moving. When my coworkers find out(which a lot are younger than me) I think that I change their feelings about it and make them more confident and be like "if he could do it and he's just an around the way guy, so can I."

I have a lot more to say on this topic, but can't at this moment, but I shall definitely return.

We've got to start inspiring others and not trying to tear people down and make them feel beneath us. Just my two cents as a "college educated brother"

got my BS and I know that i'm like K.r.i.t. "I ain't s***"

seriously though this bothers me. I don't even like to bring it up because of the stigma of arrogance. A lot of my classmates look down on others without it, and I hate that. I don't even bring mine up other than on my resume or if people ask me if i'm in school and I downplay it like "naw I finished up at UMD last year or whatever..." and keep the convo moving. When my coworkers find out(which a lot are younger than me) I think that I change their feelings about it and make them more confident and be like "if he could do it and he's just an around the way guy, so can I."

I have a lot more to say on this topic, but can't at this moment, but I shall definitely return.

We've got to start inspiring others and not trying to tear people down and make them feel beneath us. Just my two cents as a "college educated brother"
i hope u dont downplay it during job interviews lol cause thatd be kinda wierd...

I personally believe it is not so much the person being arrogant for having a degree but how others try and downplay that accomplishment who have no education.

Being in the Air Force, attaining a bachelors degree is a must to promote past E-7 and when other people try and knock me for being 3 classes away it makes me want to rub it in their face more, if you want to call that arrogance.

My degree was free too :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin

A college degree doesn't mean much.

It's not hard to just slide through college

It shouldn't be about the degree, it should be about what you do with it.

College educated in a vacuum doesn't mean ish

What's yhe point of having a degree if there are soo many? I'm young and everyone says that you should def go to to college, vut what's the point if even college grads can't get a job? I juat wanna weigh my options before I go into all that debt. I just wanna go because of the parties and chicks. Was never smart anyway.

What's yhe point of having a degree if there are soo many? I'm young and everyone says that you should def go to to college, vut what's the point if even college grads can't get a job? I juat wanna weigh my options before I go into all that debt. I just wanna go because of the parties and chicks. Was never smart anyway.

Man, I think the problem is with your definition of smart. You probably put too much importance on these standardized tests that measure who knows the biggest words and who took the most advanced math classes in grade school.

Do you think Floyd Mayweather isn't smart? Michael Jackson wasn't smart? Lebron James isn't smart? They may not ft the book definition of smart but they are geniuses in their specialties.

So what I'm saying is that just because you may not fit the book definition of "smart" doesn't mean you aren't capable of accomplishing great things.

So, it's moreso a problem w/ the birds you chasin' more than anything....

up your standards.
Basically.

People should be proud of what they accomplished. Although people on here love downplaying other people's majors, once you get to those 300 and 400 level classes, the kid gloves are off and its definitely not an easy task as already said. There's a lot of sacrifice and hard work that goes into it so you can't be mad that someone is proud of what they've done. Belittling people or thinking that you're better than someone is a different issue in itself.

Last edited:
Basically.

People should be proud of what they accomplished. Although people on here love downplaying other people's majors, once you get to those 300 and 400 level classes, the kid gloves are off and its definitely not an easy task as already said. There's a lot of sacrifice and hard work that goes into it so you can't be mad that someone is proud of what they've done. Belittling people or thinking that you're better than someone is a different issue in itself.

I mean, OP even went as far to throw in that he's a year away from getting his masters. :lol: He wouldn't have put that in if he wasn't proud of what he accomplished.

Personally, I don't take education for granted. Finishing a 4 year school IS a big deal. As you said, people should be proud of their accomplishments.

IDGAF :lol: :lol: I graduate with my Chemical Engineering degree in December and you better believe I'm adding that in any bio I have. I'm not going to let anyone make me feel like that's not something I should be proud of and gloat about. Do I think I'm better than someone without a degree? No, but the real world does. To this point it'll be my biggest accomplishment .. I'm ready :smokin :smokin

shout out to all my degree holders

There's people who skate through college with an easy major and still finish with sub 3.0 GPAs. I'm sorry but that's not an accomplishment.

Now doing well in college and have it lead into a good career is a whole different story

Back
Top Bottom