Changing basketball shot form

hey guys,

im trying to change my shot form. my jumpshot used to be one of those weird/starting from the chest/two handed shots...it actually worked well, but it was incredibly ugly. so im trying to change it, but im having a tough time getting rid of my old habits.
if i shoot with my new (proper) form without looking at the basket, i can make it from pretty much anywhere. as soon as i start looking at the basket, I can't focus on my form as much and my shots start being short.
any ideas on what drills/things i can do to make the switch?
it's really killing me as i cannot shoot AT ALL in games now...
thanks in advance

103640_Rockets_Kings_Basketball_large.jpg

Originally Posted by il prescelto

hey guys,

im trying to change my shot form. my jumpshot used to be one of those weird/starting from the chest/two handed shots...it actually worked well, but it was incredibly ugly. so im trying to change it, but im having a tough time getting rid of my old habits.
if i shoot with my new (proper) form without looking at the basket, i can make it from pretty much anywhere. as soon as i start looking at the basket, I can't focus on my form as much and my shots start being short.
any ideas on what drills/things i can do to make the switch?
it's really killing me as i cannot shoot AT ALL in games now...
thanks in advance

tumblr_lqlz17TvgO1qd1auco1_500.gif

When you are changing your form, DO NOT worry about making the shot. People often get discouraged when they are changing their form because they are missing, so they start reverting to the habits that feel more natural which defeats the whole purpose. Ofcourse you are going to miss with your new form. You will probably airball a lot. But if you really want to change your form, focus on the form, not the result. If you put in enough practice it will eventually start to feel natural.
EDIT: Also I would try to avoid games for a while if possible. Just lock yourself in a gym and work on your form. If you're playing in games you're going to want to make your shots, so you will be more likely to go back to your old habits.

Mix in shooting with just 1 arm. Like do 20 jumpers with your new form, then 20 with just one arm. Its tough to jump and hold the ball when shooting with one arm so its okay to just do set shots because you are focussing on your release, not your footwork.

This is how I migrated from the two handed shot to the one handed. Just remember that your off hand is just there to steady the ball, while your shooting hand does all the work. If you get frustrated from missing, go to the free throw line and shoot 10-20 free throws, this always helps me get my shot back on target.

Back
Top Bottom