Colin Kaepernick Is Righter Than You Know

Will you boycott the NFL this upcoming season?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have a fundamental disagreement with Kaep on the voting issue.

But I still support the brother.

People on the same side of the struggle should be able to disagree civilly, even on things they are passionate about.

Steven A. Smith's comments were way overboard.

Biggest problem in our community.

If I don't agree with another brother I'm a ****.

Im not really trying to discredit him at all. I just don't agree with his stance at all and imo it's not helping his cause. The way to affect change is through money and voting( not just one person I mean as a whole block). If one side of that is taken out of the equation your just hurting yourself

That's your opinion tho and thats fine but you also have people like deuce in here acting like if you dont vote nothing you do to better your community matters which is ********.

Voting helps sure but are we gonna pretend blacks haven't been getting gunned down for sport after we just VOTED for a black president?

Did we not just see more people vote for hillary and her still not become president?

So forgive me if i understand dude not having faith in our political process and it's potential outcomes.

I could see if this was some ******* standing outside a liquor store talking about he didnt vote but this dude really has put in the effort and is using his platform in a fashion many are flat out scared to.

I NEVER said if you don't vote nothing you do can better the community. Check the records before you mis-speak champ. As I said earlier, when you try to solve a problem you have to attack the problem from different angles. What Kap has done and is doing in the community is great, more power to him. That being said Kap has a great platform and has a lot of eyes and ears on him right now....I would have preferred him to advocate to vote instead of highlighting not to vote. That's hustling backwards and more importantly moving backwards.

Not to mention Kap missed a great opportunity to vote for Kamala Harris, a black female US Senator in his home state of California last week. From what I see and hear about her she appears to be a thorough sister. He could have assisted in getting her into office. As well as vote and speak on local matters as it pertains to California.

LOL. You got the kente cloth wrapped too tight around your head champ, it's cutting off circulation. For those like YOU and others that simply don't get it...in life if you want something to get better you have to get involved. If you want your child to do better in school, you have to assist your child with their study habits. If you want crime to decrease in your neighborhood, you get involved with the neighborhood watch program. If you want politicians to create laws and allocate resources to your community, you vote to put those politicians in office.

Sitting back and not getting involved in life is NEVER the answer.....that and taking political advice from dudes that sell shea butter. That's not going to get you anywhere in life.

congrats you guys successfully derailed this thread to the usual dudes arguing. 

LOL. You got the kente cloth wrapped too tight around your head champ, it's cutting off circulation. For those like YOU and others that simply don't get it...in life if you want something to get better you have to get involved. If you want your child to do better in school, you have to assist your child with their study habits. If you want crime to decrease in your neighborhood, you get involved with the neighborhood watch program. If you want politicians to create laws and allocate resources to your community, you vote to put those politicians in office.

Sitting back and not getting involved in life is NEVER the answer.....that and taking political advice from dudes that sell shea butter. That's not going to get you anywhere in life.
View media item 1592252

Curious what you guys do to "get involved" besides voting once every few years? Srs question.

Besides voting, i work with my mosque on a weekly basis helping get basic hygiene products to poor people in my city. My role is delivering the packages to people's doors. I could and should definitely do more, and I will in the future after I'm more established in my career

Besides voting, i work with my mosque on a weekly basis helping get basic hygiene products to poor people in my city. My role is delivering the packages to people's doors. I could and should definitely do more, and I will in the future after I'm more established in my career

Props to you and props for realizing and wanting to do more. I was more so asking the people in here talking reckless tho.

Kaepernick: “I think it would hypocritical for me to vote. I said from the beginning I was against oppression, I was against the system of oppression. I’m not going to show support for that system. To me, the oppressor isn’t going to let you vote your way out of your oppression.”

Props to you and props for realizing and wanting to do more. I was more so asking the people in here talking reckless tho.

Kaepernick: “I think it would hypocritical for me to vote. I said from the beginning I was against oppression, I was against the system of oppression. I’m not going to show support for that system. To me, the oppressor isn’t going to let you vote your way out of your oppression.”
If it means anything, I do not agree with Colin's stance on this. While we may not be able to "vote our way out of oppression", we can improve our situations in tangible ways by voting in numbers. For example, if there was a prop on the ballot that would make it mandatory for cops to wear body cameras, it would be in all of our best interests to vote for it. If we decided not to vote, the old white people who vote religiously would never allow such a thing to pass. We experienced that here in AZ when out of several states with weed legalization props, we were the only state to reject it. Why? Because the younger crowd never went to the polls. I am not saying voting will solve all of our issues, but voting (especially in numbers) can improve our situations 

1. I volunteer for community financial classes that reach out to youth and show them the path to financial stability. You might start off poor but you don't always have to be poor. A little financial savvy and guidance takes them a long way.

2. Write in the candidate you want to see take office, Kap. He might think the system is rigged, but so did Donald Trump before the election and he won. So, it shows the voting system is not rigged. But it doesn't stop at the presidency, you need like minded people in congress and the senate. Those people cannot get to those positions without voting.

If it means anything, I do not agree with Colin's stance on this. While we may not be able to "vote our way out of oppression", we can improve our situations in tangible ways by voting in numbers. For example, if there was a prop on the ballot that would make it mandatory for cops to wear body cameras, it would be in all of our best interests to vote for it. If we decided not to vote, the old white people who vote religiously would never allow such a thing to pass. We experienced that here in AZ when out of several states with weed legalization props, we were the only state to reject it. Why? Because the younger crowd never went to the polls. I am not saying voting will solve all of our issues, but voting (especially in numbers) can improve our situations 

Great example

You act like the cops won't turn off there body cameras like they been doing .....you're not helping your argument....that example is one of the many reasons people don't trust the system....vote to have police to wear body cams ....and they just turn them off... I'm not advocating for not voting but I'm also not not gonna play dumb like people who choose not to vote don't have a valid point

Last edited:

If the system you're rebelling against is happy and super comfortable with your actions, then you should likely reconsider your approach.

You act like the cops won't turn off there body cameras like they been doing .....you're not helping your argument....that example is one of the many reasons people don't trust the system....vote to have police to wear body cams ....and they just turn them off... I'm not advocating for not voting but I'm also not not gonna play dumb like people who choose not to vote don't have a valid point
But there have been many cities that have body cams and their complaints dropped massively (93% approximately). I get your point but you disregard that there are still instances where they don't turn off the body cams and things have changed.

But there have been many cities that have body cams and their complaints dropped massively (93% approximately). I get your point but you disregard that there are still instances where they don't turn off the body cams and things have changed.
Those stats are from 7 police departments that's a small sample size fam

There happy either way tho .....we gonna sit here and act like white people don't advocate for blacks to vote

On a person note, I use to think that @Maximus Meridius and I were at least "friends" somewhat here on NT. Now it's clear as ever that he and I are on opposite ends. One because of his love and admiration for the rapper Rick Ross as bad as that sounds and two because he chooses not to vote and wants other to follow behind him as he leads them to a ditch. Back stabbers are a disease in our community, now I know how Bernie Mac felt when Steve Harvey did him dirty. I just got Steve Harvey'd by @Maximus Meridius....I didn't see this one coming.

:lol:

Bruh we disagree on voting and whether this system can be fixed that's it. If you or Rusty was getting beat by the cops I'll jump in.

View media item 2230595

Well that's great to see and hear brotha. I would jump in and help YOU just the same. I'm just going to safely assume someone hacked your account with the last few posts prior to this one......probably young Sammy Sosa from Da Heights or someone like that. Still trying to get over that Rick Ross thing though.....I still need time for that one champ.

Dog, I yelled.

Seems like a lot of people in here are actually doing their part while still yearning to do more as they grow mentally and emotionally. Respect to all you fellas putting in that work in communities of need.

Curious what you guys do to "get involved" besides voting once every few years? Srs question.
Besides voting I have visited and worked in 35 countries and made a point to get involved with such countries humanitarian groups and events.

I was an active member in several Youth programs in Miami along with feed the homeless every year.

Also volunteered as a public health aid in Miami educating young women and men on STDs/HIV/protected sex/ teen pregnancies.

I was part of one of the first assigned volunteer HAZMAT/Fire Rescue teams in Hurricane Katrina worked in all affected wards of New Orleans at that time.

Scooped bodies, aided several citizens to shelter provided BLS to several victims.

Several build a playground and keep XYZ county/city clean pretty much everywhere I was assigned states wise.

I make it my duty to hop off my apparatus when In the city and atleast try and reach out and talk to teenage black male youth

everywhere I go.  Not even because of the uniform I wear but also because I feel its my position as a strong alpha male in this society to check and atleast attempt to guide younger knuckleheads doing the same foolishness I did.

I will always have a soft spot for our troubled black misguided youth because I myself began one, a project baby.

Some men choose to preach and finger point...I chose to be a man of actions.

Last edited:
Fam, idk what you're on talking about my success and insecurity. Im blessed, and i feel immensely fortunate for my lot in life. Does it make you feel better to manufacture some pitiful life for me? That in itself is a tell tale sign of your own insecurities likely based on the fact you KNOW you're understanding history, politics and economics is rudimentry at best. Take a long hard look at your own intelect and succes instead of wishing ill on others.
Dudes bring up entertainers or sports pundits as mouth pieces for economic and political change. Killer Mike? Seriously? 

Seriously?

On this track, these folks struggling will stay broke.

Anarchy is the illusion that there is future in destruction. If you want your neighborhood to look like Mosul, keep up counter-productive rhetoric.

And I don't have to manufacture a pitiful life for you, presently your own approach will construct one for yourself playboy

edit: this thread has a funny effect, 

@FrankMatthews  listen bro, I don't know you and you don't know me and clearly we both aren't ignorant mouth breathers pushing obtuse agendas haphazardly.

I think populism is running rampant in ALL parts of our society. Things are complicating and the "ME/STAR/CELEBRITISM" culture of the past 9 years is facilitating it

Last edited:
Problem in our community is so few people put there money and time where their mouth is.
Barber shop and beauty shop folks and facebook celebrities have all the answers, but when you ask them to volunteer their time on a Saturday morning or weekday night to impact the youth they go Casper on you.

Props to both you brothas. We need more of this unselfish mindset.

Fair enough, honestly i would definitely consider voting on something like body cams if given the opportunity. I think its safe to say there are definitely loopholes to negate the effectiveness of that specifically. As long as there is the conflict of intetest within the judicial system and law enforcement I belive the people will always be at a disadvantage when it comes to police brutality, and thats not even factoring in the prevalence of racism within the system. But i hear where ur coming from. Also, having smoked weed for 15 years, i think recreational legalization is a terrible idea lol. So theres the flip side as well. People dont always get the most beneficial results and often dont even know whats in their best intrest when it comes to voting but thats and entirely seperate issue.

Why I Won't Vote, W.E.B. Dubois 1956
http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/45a/298.html

Stop yelling about a democracy we do not have. Democracy is dead in the United States. Yet there is still nothing to replace real democracy. Drop the chains, then, that bind our brains. Drive the money-changers from the seats of the Cabinet and the halls of Congress. Call back some faint spirit of Jefferson and Lincoln,and when again we can hold a fair election on real issues, let's vote, and not till then. Is this impossible? Then democracy in America is impossible.

Read the whole article. Amazing how accurate his thoughts are 60 years later, crazy.

Last edited:
Dubois' take on politics and voting at the time this article was written is wildly out of date when simply noting civic and social freedoms Black people have today.

If he could see what a young black person is capable of accomplishing in this day and age he'd be advocating the exact opposite of voter apathy

Comparing 1956 to 2016 is dumb

Back
Top Bottom