Dressing Better Vol 2.0

I need penny loafers for a photoshoot (yes, srs). What's my best, cheapest option (without ending up with complete garbage)?
before the shoebank.com went up, AE Potomacs (Jos A Bank model) were listed for $129 in both black and brown...

no idea if that site was accurate or what but saw a listing for them...

Last edited:

Wis Bun-less Jiengwattana is not about the yamb gettin life.
:lol:

i heard wis is out there raw dogging more than magic johnson in the late 80s

I'm thinking about buying the infamous Glen Plaid suit from Express for an upcoming wedding. How does the 40s look?

Seems too short on you. Especially considering you seem to have a larger upper body. Midsection looks a bit tight as well. The vest is probably adding on to this issue.

Also, is this an outdoor day wedding? If not, then I suggest you go with a darker color. It's usually a good rule of thumb to not wear lighter colors unless you're outdoors during the day.

If you want to grab a suit at a fast-fashion shop or someplace similar--I would go to J.Crew and try to pick up one of those Ludlows.

Last edited:
Can someone please educate me on Thick as Theives suits and jackets? I know Adrian has done business with them, but wanted to hear what other had to say.

From what I can see--they do good work. But what kind of process do you have to go through to get fitted and sized up? Do they have a boutique anywhere in NYC?

Any sort of info is appreciated.

It's during the afternoon and is outdoors. I won't be wearing the vest but just wanted to try it on. I think it seems a little snug/shirt as well. They didn't have a regular 40.

For the record I'm 5'9" 173lbs.

There is not TaT shop, all measurements are done by you/someone you trust.

Can someone please educate me on Thick as Theives suits and jackets? I know Adrian has done business with them, but wanted to hear what other had to say.

From what I can see--they do good work. But what kind of process do you have to go through to get fitted and sized up? Do they have a boutique anywhere in NYC?

Any sort of info is appreciated.

I never have bought from Thick as Thieves but I do know that they don't have an NYC boutique. To get his measurements as close as possible to perfect, Adrian sent to them his best fitting suit and they based his first suit off of that. I know he needed some minor adjustments to his measurements after the first suit and hasn't had any problems since.

However, if you are above a size 42 you may as well forget even attempting to go with them.

I never have bought from Thick as Thieves but I do know that they don't have an NYC boutique. To get his measurements as close as possible to perfect, Adrian sent to them his best fitting suit and they based his first suit off of that. I know he needed some minor adjustments to his measurements after the first suit and hasn't had any problems since.

However, if you are above a size 42 you may as well forget even attempting to go with them.

I'm a 42r, but why would anyone with a larger size avoid going to them?

Okay, so I just send them my measurement as detailed as possible. Got it.

Now, how am I supposed to pick out which colors/materials I want? Do they send me a book with all the options and I fill out an order form? I've never done anything like this via internet. I've always just gone to the boutique, had them size me up, I pick the colors and materials and voila! I'd receive the suit in a few weeks.

BTW, are their suits fused or full-canvas? Price range?

Last edited:
I'm a 42r, but why would anyone with a larger size avoid going to them?

Okay, so I just send them my measurement as detailed as possible. Got it.

Now, how am I supposed to pick out which colors/materials I want? Do they send me a book with all the options and I fill out an order form? I've never done anything like this via internet. I've always just gone to the boutique, had them size me up, I pick the colors and materials and voila! I'd receive the suit in a few weeks.

BTW, are their suits fused or full-canvas? Price range?

You have to pick from this site here:
http://www.thickasthievesla.com/fabrics.html

I think prices range from $550-$650/700 (could be wrong on the $700) and they are fully-canvassed. You pretty much pick the fabric, lining, lapel style and width, pocket type, etc.

False.

My girl measured me based on Jason's youtube video. Midsection was adjusted 2" when received. Every suit afterwards was worn right out the box.

Hank,

• Fully Canvassed.
  • Thumb their their fabric choices on the site.
  • Suits range from $530-650.
  • E-mail him to discuss the details.

Any thing you can think of, ask for.

This can include: number of buttons, lapel style, lapel width, button color, functional sleeves, number of buttons on sleeve, lining, vent options, ticket option, pocket styling (flat, hacked, patch, jetted), etc.

PM if you have any questions. Wis and I believe only one other cat on here has gone TaT

wearing a checker'ed shirt with navy suit + tie, yay or nay (or should i go with solid white shirt)? for friends graduation ceremony

Back
Top Bottom