Dressing Better Vol 2.0

I am going to take it to a tailor tomorrow...just to see what they say...worth a shot I guess.

Damn now I'm all stressed out about this 
grin.gif

Need some help/advice guys...

Getting married in two months, wearing a suit that I already own at my wedding (don't want to rent one, extra $$$ and my fiancee wants me to wear sharkskin anyways)...

Got my jacket back from getting tailored and I am still wondering if it is a bit too big..

Also, I think I need my pants tailored a little slimmer...thoughts? I am a skinny guy (6'2 165) so it is tough to get a suit that fits.

***Note...I will be wearing a white shirt, white tie, but not these exact ones and I threw on the tie and shirt really quickly, I know it looks sloppy.

I agree with what everything said before. Your shoulders look too big on your frame. Either you have broad shoulders and everything else is super slim or you're wearing a suit too big for you.

If you really insist on keeping the suit, then I'd probably get the sleeves shortened and trousers hemmed. I would also try to tapper the sleeves and trousers. Get the jacket brought in and lose the vest.

i don't know any MTM route you can take that would give you a suit within 2 months, unless you're in a MAJOR city. Go to a Suit Supply or a Brooks Brothers and see what they have.

If you want a "bargain" suit, then go for Suit Supply. If you want a little better quality, then go for Brooks Brothers and make sure you get an 1818 suit in a Milano fit. You look more like a 38L. Brooks Brothers JUST had their semi-annual sale and you could've gotten a suit for 30-40% off. IDK what your budget is, but you can find a decent suit there for around $800.

Here are some picture that can help you.

This is a Milano fit. You should avoid the vest though: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Milan...var_MK00315_Color=MDGY&contentpos=1&cgid=0216

This is a Fitzgerald fit: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Fitzg...var_MK00351_Color=MDGY&contentpos=9&cgid=0216

This is a Sienna fit from Suit Supply: http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...prefn2=color&prefv2=Grey&prefv1=Spring/Summer

Another Sienna, but in a different shade of gray: http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...prefn2=color&prefv2=Grey&prefv1=Spring/Summer

Good luck with this. Please, take everyone's advice--this is YOUR wedding. You'll only be married once (hopefully). Might as well go all out.

Last edited:
Yeah bro, this is your day...get a refund or atleast take it to a tailor....lose that vest

Last edited:
I've had good luck with J Hilburn. I think my suits came in at around $900-1000. Pants are usually around $200 and shirts $120-175. It's worth looking into.

White tie is the bride's choice...I don't like it either but it's up to her.
White tie?  No.  Stand your ground and shut that down asap.  It's your wedding as well and wearing a white tie (unless its a white bow tie for a White Tie event) just looks horrible.  At the very least wear a gray wedding tie.  

I am going to take it to a tailor tomorrow...just to see what they say...worth a shot I guess.

Damn now I'm all stressed out about this >D

If your tailor tells you he can fix the shoulders...he may be able too but don't even bother. The cost of fixing the shoulders is probably going to run you $100-150 at the least.

You have time. Try to get your money back, otherwise, take the L. The only thing salvageable are the pants, get them hemmed and tapered and you can wear them as separates. If it were me I would order a couple of suits from SuitSupply in the next couple of days. They ship pretty quickly, you'd likely have the suit at your doorstep within 2-3 days; if you're by one, it's worth the stop. They'll size you up, they'll see which of their cuts for you and can do the alterations in house. Otherwise as stated order a couple in your size range. Their cuts vary so I'll have someone else chime in on that as my only experience is with the Napoli cut.

How much is a suit from Suit Supply or Indochino? $400ish? 25 percent there already.

Suit Supply start at $469, Indo at $449.

People never place enough value on a well fitted suit.

That's because for the most part people don't wear suits so when they wear a crappy suit, they get complements. Its a cultural thing. People just don't wear suits like they used to.

Heck, I get complements on my Jo's. A Bank suits so why spend any more on suits when I only wear them for work or the occasional wedding and funeral.

I wish I would have wandered into this forum before I purchased my suit...

I went to Nordstrom Rack (obviously didn't know any better)...got sized up (terribly)...then got my jacket tailored (again terribly)...disappointed in them. Unfortunately I got the suit a little over a year ago as a birthday gift, so can't really take it back now. Glad I know how a suit should feel/look/fit now.

Thanks guys.

Hit my inbox if you want a 20% off code for Indochino.

They are an MTM (made to measure) suit maker that could faciliate a suit in one month's time. They also offer a $75 alteration credit for work needed to be done after the suit arrives. If the suit needs to be remade entirely, they will do it for no extra cost, just will need another month to do so.

This may or may not be a good option for those looking for a good quality suit as you must be confident in the measurements you provide. Let a bruh know doe

That's because for the most part people don't wear suits so when they wear a crappy suit, they get complements. Its a cultural thing. People just don't wear suits like they used to.

Heck, I get complements on my Jo's. A Bank suits so why spend any more on suits when I only wear them for work or the occasional wedding and funeral.
There are two types of folks: those who only wear suits when required, like you stated...ill fitting joints and those who enjoy wearing suits, they usually pay attention to the details.

It's extremely easy to get compliments from random strangers in the public as long as you seem to dress 'dandier' than the norm.

That suit is beyond fixable. The cut is just too outdated and shoulders are too big.

I personally wouldn't wear a white tie at all. Maybe white grenadine if they have that?

If budget is really an issue, I would look at fast fashion brands or even try my luck thrifting.

People never place enough value on a well fitted suit.

the 70s ruined fashion :smh:

love watching movies from the 30s-60..dudes always in suits

@TVobach

If you're in NY, then hit up these guys

http://www.blacklapel.com/suits
Far from NY unfortunately.

Went to a tailor today and that was very helpful. She basically said the same stuff you guys did...jacket is basically unfixable. Pants can be fixed pretty easily.

Sooo now I'm in the process of deciding what I want to do. Probably will purchase a new suit and find the closest I can to that color...and sell my old suit somewhere ha

If anyone has any other recommendations of stores other than what has been posted please let me know. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom