Has being a hipster become......dare i say?..........Mainstream?

I thought the most important part of being a hipster was being educated and after thorough knowledge of what's what, rebelling against rules of society. But this was done by reading Nietzsche, Che Guevara and so on, but most just copy their sense of style, which is pretty unfortunate.

hypebeast annoy me more then hipsters....

they're both at da ends of a lifespan of a ________

a hipster will discover something or adopt something abandoned, or know something...which give em a feeling of superiority...they thrive on manufactured exclusivity

soon as they lose that edge they lose their powers...

hypebeast are da last wagon of a trend before it gets played out..kinda like a star shines it brightest before it flames out and dies...they always playing catch up

so their change wit da winds..lames

da trick to fend off these subcultures is just be knowledgeable with whateva you like to do..a hipster can't tell a REAL rap fan about wu-tang, they can fool their non hipster

friends, but to someone who knows they stuff they frauds. a hypebeast would only know what da LATEST rap act is, so they would act like OFWGKTA is da OG powerful rap collective.

and tomorrow they'll jump on kirko bangz wit snapbacks and star tattoos...no morals whatsoever, lames.

:pimp: Ninja dropped that knowledge on ya'll. Well said fam.
He really didn't.

All he did was explain why he chose to adopt whatever he picked up and why he never changed.

Ask him why he embraces the very thing he identifies with. Of course his bias precludes him from seeing that he is merely a trend-hopper who never evolved, himself. 

You can't act like you're original if all you're going to do is say that everyone else isn't. 

people pick who and what they wanna identify with because it represents who they are...its like copping a pair of sneaker my size (imma 10) i dont cop a size 11 because i dont wanna FRONT like i got a bigger foot then i really have, and

i dont pick a size 9 because i feel like im too grown to fit those shoes. style and persona is alot like sneakers sizes, sometimes you real genuinely outgrow your "size in shoes" because things you once did or stood for no longer reflect who you

are, and thats perfectly fine for some people, others grow faster then others, some people dont grow at all, and thats fine too...its da erratic constant persona shedding attributes of hypebeasts and hipsters that annoy most people because it comes

across as disingenuous.

hypebeasts and hipsters dont hold onto morals or values of da very culture they siphon off their "cool" from...one comes and infects early on, da latter comes and milks da life outta something before it dies...then its off to da next one.

this is why no one takes to either of em kindly.

im a unapologetic 80's babies thats forged in da fire of da 90's so when i see hipsters doing things from my generation just to be ironic, like rockin dusty lumberjacks from da biggie era, or hypebeasts rockin snapbacks like those weren't slayed once

spike lee's odd request to New Era to make a custom Red yankee's non traditional red 5950 ushered in da fitted revolution. all i do is raise my eyebrow and keep it moving.

your style is your identity to da world, its da non verbal conversation you have with complete strangers, on a daily basis. when your constantly sending fraudulent signals da way hypebeasts and hipsters do it makes people question who you really are.

you know da saying, if you dont stand for something you'll fall for anything.
TL;DR: I got my own style because...I was forged in da 90s... or whatever that means. :rofl:

I like how you just needed that round-about justification to express why you're "so much more original" than everyone else because your "clothes represent who you REALLY are"

No one knows the meaning of those Tims... no one but you man. You get it bro!

I guess we should all look to cultural gatekeepers like you. 

You and your peers have introduced a standard to which  no one could never be compared to or contrasted against. You're TRULY original in the urban wear you chose to adopt. :rofl:

You're original because in the 80s, you didn't even know what shirts were. You just started making your own cotton blended t-shirts with screen prints at home until you walked outside and realized you and millions of other urbanites had independently developed the same concept! Its like discovering the invention of the wheel in different parts of the world; Fascinating!

Like I said earlier, just be honest with yourself. You're not even that original yourself, and frankly you're ironically forgetting your own influences when you choose to chastise and denigrate others for having their own, and functionally harmless, forms of dress.

da sad thing is in your lil cloud of condescension is actually how style and culture organically emerge..especially da underlined quote.

in da 80's and 90's there was NO SUCH THING as "urban wear"...da hood took things that was from a foreign context and made it theirs...from timberland boots that da owners themselves shunned da popularity of

their products to minorities from da inner cities...to people just taking shirts and taggin em with bubble letters like da trains and rockin out like that (see killa cam in paid in full) to air force I's which could've easily been a 1 year oddity that

never releases again after 1982 but because da Tristate area decided to take that shoe and use it as a platform to represent who they are and what they wanna relfect to da world, it lives on as a symbolic flag to da urban generation.

things this generation takes for WILD granted now like peepin da latest styles and trends, while also observing cultures thats foreign was ALOT harder to do without da internet...things weren't so compartmentalized and organized in

cute lil bite sized boxes so culture vultures can easily just cherry pick w/e they wanna do like its so abundantly easy to do now...da way you dressed back then actually reflected alot more of who you was...look at da bloods and crips

in LA killing each other over colors in da 80's-90's
...look at da OG lo' heads from da brooklyn taking a white brand catered to gated community and completely manipulating it to represent what they wanna project to da world.

so while u can easily laugh off "da audacity of my claims of originality" da fact of da matter is, its da truth.

there was cross colors and various other brands geared towards the urban/rap community...

and no, it was bigger than the colors... thats not even a valid argument

Hipster obsession is much worse than whatever a hipster actually is. There has been far too much time and energy dedicated to identifying and ridiculing this made up subculture. What is used to describe a hipster is so broad that you can damn near paint anyone in the age bracket of 20-30 as a hipster. You like indie music? HIPSTER. Cheap beer? HIPSTER. Riding bicycles? HIPSTER. Facial hair? HIPSTER. It's absurd.
For the first time in my niketalk career, I agree with one of your posts. Cheers to us :pimp:

Ah NT's strange obsessions with hipsters when half of y'all don't even know what 'Hipster' means. :smh:

a hipster will discover something or adopt something abandoned, or know something...which give em a feeling of superiority...they thrive on manufactured exclusivity

hypebeast are da last wagon of a trend before it gets played out..kinda like a star shines it brightest before it flames out and dies...they always playing catch up

da trick to fend off these subcultures is just be knowledgeable with whateva you like to do..a hipster can't tell a REAL rap fan about wu-tang, they can fool their non hipster

friends, but to someone who knows they stuff they frauds. a hypebeast would only know what da LATEST rap act is, so they would act like OFWGKTA is da OG powerful rap collective.

and tomorrow they'll jump on kirko bangz wit snapbacks and star tattoos...no morals whatsoever, lames.
pimp.gif
Ninja dropped that knowledge on ya'll. Well said fam.
He really didn't.

All he did was explain why he chose to adopt whatever he picked up and why he never changed.

Ask him why he embraces the very thing he identifies with. Of course his bias precludes him from seeing that he is merely a trend-hopper who never evolved, himself. 

You can't act like you're original if all you're going to do is say that everyone else isn't. 
people pick who and what they wanna identify with because it represents who they are...its like copping a pair of sneaker my size (imma 10) i dont cop a size 11 because i dont wanna FRONT like i got a bigger foot then i really have, and

i dont pick a size 9 because i feel like im too grown to fit those shoes. style and persona is alot like sneakers sizes, sometimes you real genuinely outgrow your "size in shoes" because things you once did or stood for no longer reflect who you

are, and thats perfectly fine for some people, others grow faster then others, some people dont grow at all, and thats fine too...its da erratic constant persona shedding attributes of hypebeasts and hipsters that annoy most people because it comes

across as disingenuous.

hypebeasts and hipsters dont hold onto morals or values of da very culture they siphon off their "cool" from...one comes and infects early on, da latter comes and milks da life outta something before it dies...then its off to da next one.

im a unapologetic 80's babies thats forged in da fire of da 90's so when i see hipsters doing things from my generation just to be ironic, like rockin dusty lumberjacks from da biggie era, or hypebeasts rockin snapbacks like those weren't slayed once

spike lee's odd request to New Era to make a custom Red yankee's non traditional red 5950 ushered in da fitted revolution. all i do is raise my eyebrow and keep it moving.

your style is your identity to da world, its da non verbal conversation you have with complete strangers, on a daily basis. when your constantly sending fraudulent signals da way hypebeasts and hipsters do it makes people question who you really are.

TL;DR: I got my own style because...I was forged in da 90s... or whatever that means. 
roll.gif

I like how you just needed that round-about justification to express why you're "so much more original" than everyone else because your "clothes represent who you REALLY are"

You and your peers have introduced a standard to which  no one could never be compared to or contrasted against. You're TRULY original in the urban wear you chose to adopt. 
roll.gif

You're original because in the 80s, you didn't even know what shirts were. You just started making your own cotton blended t-shirts with screen prints at home until you walked outside and realized you and millions of other urbanites had independently developed the same concept! Its like discovering the invention of the wheel in different parts of the world; Fascinating!

Like I said earlier, just be honest with yourself. You're not even that original yourself, and frankly you're ironically forgetting your own influences when you choose to chastise and denigrate others for having their own, and functionally harmless, forms of dress.
da sad thing is in your lil cloud of condescension is actually how style and culture organically emerge..especially da underlined quote.
...To which I emphatically and enthusiastically say, SO?

You know its not even true and its appalling that you'd even suggest otherwise?

So you mean to tell me that tons of youths all across the country didn't get their influence from media in the 80s? You all just randomly happened to come up with the SAME influences while locked away? 

Come, don't be ridiculous. 
in da 80's and 90's there was NO SUCH THING as "urban wear"...da hood took things that was from a foreign context and made it theirs...from timberland boots that da owners themselves shunned da popularity of
I really don't need to address this, do I?
their products to minorities from da inner cities...to people just taking shirts and taggin em with bubble letters like da trains and rockin out like that (see killa cam in paid in full) to air force I's which could've easily been a 1 year oddity that
Nothing worse than someone who thinks hes old enough to forget his own influences. 
roll.gif

never releases again after 1982 but because da Tristate area decided to take that shoe and use it as a platform to represent who they are and what they wanna relfect to da world, it lives on as a symbolic flag to da urban generation.
This is such a ridiculous comment.

"the hood was aching for a voice, b!" all while forgetting that they took something and made it their own WHILE CONSTANTLY evolving themselves. 
things this generation takes for WILD granted now like peepin da latest styles and trends, while also observing cultures thats foreign was ALOT harder to do without da internet...things weren't so compartmentalized and organized in
Yeah, its not like you didn't have TVs or Magazines either... 
roll.gif

Of course those 1980s kids didn't have any influences.
grin.gif

cute lil bite sized boxes so culture vultures can easily just cherry pick w/e they wanna do like its so abundantly easy to do now...da way you dressed back then actually reflected alot more of who you was...look at da bloods and crips
You basically said that you aren't, what you actually are.

Everyone picks and chooses what they want to embrace in every cultural movement because nothing is binding like that. 

You act like every "hipster" is actually a member of a monolithic organization that issues uniforms of ironic and self-degradation. 
in LA killing each other over colors in da 80's-90's...look at da OG lo' heads from da brooklyn taking a white brand catered to gated community and completely manipulating it to represent what they wanna project to da world.
So gangs were completely original themselves? They invented the concept of iconography? 
so while u can easily laugh off "da audacity of my claims of originality" da fact of da matter is, its da truth.
No. Its not true. Its called having a selective memory.

Your argument is: "Kids in the 80s didn't have the internet so thus we were more original"

AS IF you didn't clearly adopt the things that you choose to wear now because someone marketed the concept to you in the first place as something worth embracing. 

some of these other posts still irk me, like if you truly call out someone a hipster.. why don't you take a look at your own wardrobe & tell us what we doing wrong? exactly. this debate will go on for years. y'all so quick to call someone on a track bicycle a hipster, it's not even funny nor are you eem proving a point. why don't some of y'all provide the kinds of clothing a hipster does, eat, drink & sleep. and tell me what your doing that makes you not so hipster. yes I ride a track bicycle, but what makes you better than me other than making remarks as me as a "hipster"

Last edited:
Hipster is a overblown term. I feel like the word regained popularity when all these weird kids started getting TOO fresh and the world needed something to call them. Wearing a certain shirt or pair of shoes doesn't mean "they're trying to fool someone" or "trying to be down". 

Trying out new things and exploring different forms of styles is a negative thing now? There's nothing wrong with that; when you're a kid, it's encouraged. I have never met any of these kids who try to school you on Wu-Tang or anything like that. I didn't know that type of douchebaggery was exclusive to "hipsters".

A lot of your definitions seem to stem from your own insecurities. I would say people into Nike/Jordan sneakers are the biggest "hipsters". At this point in time, even earlier actually, none of them saw Jordan play. They don't know what the colorways represent. They don't know the significance of every numbered entry. 90% of people wearing Nike/Jordan sneakers don't even play basketball, let alone know how to dribble one. 

some of these other posts still irk me, like if you truly call out someone a hipster.. why don't you take a look at your own wardrobe & tell us what we doing wrong? exactly. this debate will go on for years. y'all so quick to call someone on a track bicycle a hipster, it's not even funny nor are you eem proving a point. why don't some of y'all provide the kinds of clothing a hipster does, eat, drink & sleep. and tell me what your doing that makes you not so hipster. yes I ride a track bicycle, but what makes you better than me other than making remarks as me as a "hipster"

I think that people get caught up in the whole look of a hipster. IMO, I could care less what people wear. thats whatever to me. I actually dont mind hipster people, often times they are some of the least prejudiced people Ive encountered. Small example, my mom is big into painting and knitting. We're from a nice neighborhood and whenever she goes into certain art stores to buy supplies, some of the store owners always give her the treatment like shes lost or doesnt know what she wants to buy. like, "are you sure you want that, maybe you should do this" etc. As if an older black woman is completely clueless about what she needs. But the hipsterish people are nice and receptive, make small talk etc.

I do find the bike thing annoying. Not you particularly, but when girls where floral pattern dresses and toms and ride bikes incredibly slow and mess with the driving lanes

I don't pay attention to any of these stereotypes, if someone wants to clown themselves let them.
I do me, I buy what I like, I'm not out to set trends or OD trying to be diffrent. I could care less about what's cool or what's in, I stick to what I've been doing staying true to myself and my originality.

I would much rather "hipsters" "hypebeasts" "biters" evolve off one another and not me anyday, main reason why if I know I'll be around a certain demographic I wont even sport certain things.. because of the simple fact that I know there will be someone who's like " I've never seen that or heard about it, but when I get home I'm getting online and am going to start rocking if If can find it" type.

BE YOU. STAY TRUE TO YOURSELF. DONT THRIVE OFF BEING DIFFRENT & ATTEMPTING TO STAND OUT AND DONT CONERN YOUSELF WITH THE NEXT MAN. REAL RECOGNIZE REAL YO.

originality and staying true comes from with within, and that's forever. In actuality that stands out more than any hype trend can, everlasting.

Hipster obsession is much worse than whatever a hipster actually is. There has been far too much time and energy dedicated to identifying and ridiculing this made up subculture. What is used to describe a hipster is so broad that you can damn near paint anyone in the age bracket of 20-30 as a hipster. You like indie music? HIPSTER. Cheap beer? HIPSTER. Riding bicycles? HIPSTER. Facial hair? HIPSTER. It's absurd.
Optimus/FutureMD/SillyPutty, why do you do this in every thread you post in?

i get society has changed ,

but bullying in the 90's >>>>>>>>

you use to respect the weird kids at school by the time they graduated because you KNEW they

where battle tested and had probably gon through 4 years of humiliation for whatever subculture they

represented, grunge kids and ravers probably got bodied everyday in p.e . nowadays kid embrace

being differant and don't realize how important bullying was ....of course your not gonna be into the goth scene

well in to your 30's and yeah your gonna look back at yourself and shake your head at how tacky it was

but you take pride in the fact that you earned your stripes , lotta kids who where wierd in highschool back in the days

came from broken homes with single parents , so you got picked on at school and came home to a tough life but you look back at

that and you like that you earned your stripes and 9/10 it makes a better person . not to sound like an

a-hole but if you take your life away at 15-18 like alotta kids now a days , you where gonna

get picked off sooner or later LIFE GETS A LOT HARDER . i'll be damned if my dad let me

wear half the ayo stuff kids wear now a day ,and while he may actually have been wrong in retrospect 

and maybe even a tad ignorant in his generation gap , i couldn't be happier with the outcome.

Last edited:
P4K has been giving Gucci Mane good reviews for years.

True. But living in Austin, it seems more adamant now than ever. There's a "bounce" theme party or Big Freedia has a performance and it's bound to be packed with these ironic individuals. All over Instagram you see tags such as, "TRAPAHOLICS" or "DAMNSONWHEREDYOUFINDTHIS???". I seen this girl the other day rocking a Brick Squad Mafia tee shirt at a YACHT concert. I mean, it's cool. I ain't eem mad about it.

pimp.gif
Ninja dropped that knowledge on ya'll. Well said fam.
He really didn't.

across as disingenuous.

TL;DR: I got my own style because...I was forged in da 90s... or whatever that means. 
roll.gif

You and your peers have introduced a standard to which  no one could never be compared to or contrasted against. You're TRULY original in the urban wear you chose to adopt. 
roll.gif

...To which I emphatically and enthusiastically say, SO?

You know its not even true and its appalling that you'd even suggest otherwise?

So you mean to tell me that tons of youths all across the country didn't get their influence from media in the 80s? You all just randomly happened to come up with the SAME influences while locked away? 

Come, don't be ridiculous. 
I really don't need to address this, do I?
Nothing worse than someone who thinks hes old enough to forget his own influences. 
roll.gif

This is such a ridiculous comment.

"the hood was aching for a voice, b!" all while forgetting that they took something and made it their own WHILE CONSTANTLY evolving themselves. 
Yeah, its not like you didn't have TVs or Magazines either... 
roll.gif

Of course those 1980s kids didn't have any influences.
grin.gif

You basically said that you aren't, what you actually are.

Everyone picks and chooses what they want to embrace in every cultural movement because nothing is binding like that. 

You act like every "hipster" is actually a member of a monolithic organization that issues uniforms of ironic and self-degradation. 
in LA killing each other over colors in da 80's-90's...look at da OG lo' heads from da brooklyn taking a white brand catered to gated community and completely manipulating it to represent what they wanna project to da world.
So gangs were completely original themselves? They invented the concept of iconography? 
No. Its not true. Its called having a selective memory.

Your argument is: "Kids in the 80s didn't have the internet so thus we were more original"

AS IF you didn't clearly adopt the things that you choose to wear now because someone marketed the concept to you in the first place as something worth embracing. 
abesent in this misplaced rant is da fact that people DO things because they LIKE IT and not because they SAW IT somewhere.....this was a common thing pre-internet, pre "urban" demographic...

when people traveled styles would change so drastically because guess what? things weren't so homogenized with da internet da way it is now...Rap music PRE yo YO MTV raps actually had to be DISCOVERED by people outside New York...

i remember when tapes was one of da VALUABLE things you would bring back from a vacation trip from where ever you came from because where else would you hear regional stars that dont get air play outside their respective homes.

my cousin from FL would come back with a duffle bag FULL of bootleg cassettes from harlem and da heightz of tapes music that wouldnt get a chance to hear down south...begging me for Clue tapes, beggging me for kid capris, etc.

ya got it easy now.. this generation merely has to fire up its PC/mac and download what swag they wanna imitate.//no paying dues, no doing homework on ish, no learning why certain clothes and music is held in such high regard...nope...

just look, copy, playout da swag...repeat.

Why'd I see this big-o hipster girl riding her bike the other day?
Hipster characteristics:
Fixie with drop-down bars (obviously too big for her)
Thick framed glasses without the lens
Beats
This girl looked like she hadn't ever ridden a bike before. Probably 200lbs and ugly (like 3/10). She stopped at the light and had a look in her face like she was smoking hot. Almost as if the fixie had turned her into a ten.
:lol: at kept driving.

I don't know why reading the single word "Beats" made me laugh out loud :lol:

***EDIT: FutureMD...TL;DRing Ninjahood....L.........O..........L

Last edited:
abesent in this misplaced rant is da fact that people DO things because they LIKE IT and not because they SAW IT somewhere.....this was a common thing pre-internet, pre "urban" demographic...

when people traveled styles would change so drastically because guess what? things weren't so homogenized with da internet da way it is now...Rap music PRE yo YO MTV raps actually had to be DISCOVERED by people outside New York...

i remember when tapes was one of da VALUABLE things you would bring back from a vacation trip from where ever you came from because where else would you hear regional stars that dont get air play outside their respective homes.

my cousin from FL would come back with a duffle bag FULL of bootleg cassettes from harlem and da heightz of tapes music that wouldnt get a chance to hear down south...begging me for Clue tapes, beggging me for kid capris, etc.

ya got it easy now.. this generation merely has to fire up its PC/mac and download what swag they wanna imitate.//no paying dues, no doing homework on ish, no learning why certain clothes and music is held in such high regard...nope...

wasnt flex the first to play trick daddy "nann n' " , we supplied yall too

and that was 96' , trick wasnt no sluch with the polo

wasnt flex the first to play trick daddy "nann n' " , we supplied yall too

and that was 96' , trick wasnt no sluch with the polo
of course it worked both ways... cypha sounds was da first dude to play rick ross in NYC

yes. the underground always becomes mainstream because once things become commercial they get rinsed out by the basic people of the world then these same people feen for the next new thing. its a vicious cycle.

if someone lives in new York you can definantly pick out a hipster from a Hypebeast.Its all about how they dress.Hypebeasts will wear Jordan's or foams and stunt on Facebook about them while hipsters will wear doc martens and take a photo that you will see on tumblr.Hypebeasts will wear obey and sag cargo shorts down to their knees while hipsters will wear maybe wear those preppy shorts above their knees with no cargo pockets with a thrift store shirt or high end designer shirt. Hipsters are wearing a lot of gold jewelery and leather so you will now know what they look like. PS hipsters also olive to have weird and crazy hairstyles

agree with all of this, i dont mind the hipster chicks if they give me some play, kirko bangz is buns :x

Back
Top Bottom