How did the word "PAUSE" come to mean the same as "no +%%@"?

I always felt it was used more as a joking device. Most times when people say 'pause' after a statement, I actually didnt think anything suspicious of the statement they made.
Its only when one says 'pause' after a statement that it causes others to realize 'oh, that was kind of suspect, hahaha'.

I always felt it was used more as a joking device. Most times when people say 'pause' after a statement, I actually didnt think anything suspicious of the statement they made.
Its only when one says 'pause' after a statement that it causes others to realize 'oh, that was kind of suspect, hahaha'.

when i was growing up pause was fpr if you said something stupid. Not really somethign romo but like if you made a mistake while speaking for example you heard that camron mixtape sorry for the wait? then people who caught what you said would count 1, 2, 3, 4 etc and when you said pause they would either slap you neck or punch i cant recal as it was at least 15 years ago. No !%!@ is no !%!@ pause was that from my growing up and that was in the bx.

Originally Posted by devildog1776

it started as a joke in NYC in the late 90s maybe 2000 @!% i would say... anytime someone said something that could be taken as karamo you said "pause" before anyone else caught you slipping... I dont know what borough it originated from but it used to mess people's whole conversation because you had to edit everything that came out your mouth... Pause ... lol

when i was growing up pause was fpr if you said something stupid. Not really somethign romo but like if you made a mistake while speaking for example you heard that camron mixtape sorry for the wait? then people who caught what you said would count 1, 2, 3, 4 etc and when you said pause they would either slap you neck or punch i cant recal as it was at least 15 years ago. No !%!@ is no !%!@ pause was that from my growing up and that was in the bx.

Originally Posted by devildog1776

it started as a joke in NYC in the late 90s maybe 2000 @!% i would say... anytime someone said something that could be taken as karamo you said "pause" before anyone else caught you slipping... I dont know what borough it originated from but it used to mess people's whole conversation because you had to edit everything that came out your mouth... Pause ... lol

Maybe not related, but on "Dream Shatterer" Big Pun says "I blow my own mind like Nirvana, comma..." (comma symbolizing a pause)

I took that to mean it sounds ayo to blow your own mind, so he "paused that" as Jay-Z said on Reasonable Doubt. Either way, the slang is old.

Maybe not related, but on "Dream Shatterer" Big Pun says "I blow my own mind like Nirvana, comma..." (comma symbolizing a pause)

I took that to mean it sounds ayo to blow your own mind, so he "paused that" as Jay-Z said on Reasonable Doubt. Either way, the slang is old.

Back
Top Bottom