How much did Kanye help adidas?

The main thing adidas needs to fix is the sizing. I never know what size to buy in their stuff since some a lot of their stuff fit so different.

the god single handedly made adidas hot again

everyone got on all stars stan smiths boosts nmds etc now

And tbh, I'm not even mad at it.

Adidas has come with some really good original silhouettes over the last year and a half

Nike been recycling **** from the 80's and 90's while increasing prices.

So if Kanye was the turning point for Adidas, I'm glad he got them rolling again. Him, and their running dept. are a big reason why adidas is crushing it right now.

This is really what allowed adidas to shine. The growing discontent with Nike products and prices is well documented on NT. All adidas needed to do was to have someone influential enough to put their products in front of people's faces, and they found him in Kanye. The ZX joints never sold out until Kanye was seen rocking the ZX710 white/green.

Put it like this...

Without Kanye when has Adidas ever consistently sold out of a $200 all white running shoe?

The Y-3 line always did very well. I don't know about "sold out", but it always did very well.

I get what you're saying though.

Kanye brought attention to the brand to the masses via his sneakers and also rocking the Boost runners.

Boost runners actually have great technology.

Pharrell brought attention to the classic models (Stans, Shells) that were always timeless but maybe not uber popular.

And here we are.

It's a combination of many thing but he certainly helped a lot. What he does, good or bad, is going to get eyes.

I think people also need to understand that times change. And people change. And not be so quick to attribute things to celebrity "influence".

I see New Balance everywhere and I can't think of a celebrity endorser/influencer. People grow up, their tastes change or they just want to do something different.

Last edited:
Adidas gotta chill with their prices though.

They def have made an impact. Boost tech is amazing. I'll def be copping more of D Rose's kicks this upcoming season.

Let's be real. Cats weren't checking for Adidas heavy until Kaye went over there. Keep it real, though.

dudes right

nike not giving kanye what he wanted made it easy for Adidas to be where its at right now

Yup.

this is true for a lot of people...
but let's be real Adidas is putting out better products

for me what brought me back over was the re-release of the stan smith which was my favorite casual shoe. 
then the primeknit stan came out and was open to feeling out different adidas models. 

i then went to the flux and tubular which was cool but meh...

what really got my eyes open was the the pure boost. which was amazingly comfortable. 
then the ultraboost came out and it was a wrap... which is the goat sneaker imo.  

i honestly feel sorry for people who haven't tried on a pair of UB. 

In the past two years, Yeah Adidas has put out better looking sneakers. Y3 & Jeremy Scott have spearheaded that transition.

Adidas gotta chill with their prices though.

They def have made an impact. Boost tech is amazing. I'll def be copping more of D Rose's kicks this upcoming season.
They def will price themselves out of growth. Look at NIKE, LeBron's line and KD's line would be way bigger if they dropped to a lower price point IMO. 

Yeah, i'm done with paying high prices for sneakers. I need sales or lower price points.

They def will price themselves out of growth. Look at NIKE, LeBron's line and KD's line would be way bigger if they dropped to a lower price point IMO. 
They already dropped KDs prices and I think the KD 9 is pretty well-received.

I wish Brandon Ingram signed with Nike instead of adidas. I feel like he was the best out of the draft class, IMO.

the question isn't whether or not hes helped adiads, its how he's helped adidas.

hes def given the adidas image a huge boost in the streetwear department, but can anyone on the retail side answer this question. How well are non limited, non hyped, non-collab models selling?

are legacy models selling a lot more? are shell toes moving like af1s are?

Last edited:

Adidas has completely reinvented themselves in the perception of the millenials and Kanye was a big part of that. NT would never admit that though because a lot of people on here are vehemently anti-Kanye to offset the blind slurpage of him. They find some sort of weird pride in being anti-trendy or not letting celebs influence what they do or wear at all.

However, they also came with new, innovative and good product. They couldn't just throw a pair of Kobe 2's on Kanye and expect him to rejuvenate the brand, they came with heat on their part.

It was a combo of good product, good marketing and Kanye increasing the visibility of that new Adidas. Even if you don't necessarily buy a a pair of sneakers because Kanye wore them, he is a factor in your purchase if you see Ultra Boosts on an IG page or post that wasn't posting the shoe or even covering Adidas period before Ye started ******* with them.

ye helped adidas immensely. not sure it can even really be measured. his influenced changed the game for. ye was the catalyst for them to really start popping again. now all of a sudden adidas bout to be running the game. this hasn't been the case since run dmc (1980s).

the question isn't whether or not hes helped adiads, its how he's helped adidas.

hes def given the adidas image a huge boost in the streetwear department, but can anyone on the retail side answer this question. How well are non limited, non hyped, non-collab models selling?

are legacy models selling a lot more? are shell toes moving like af1s are?
They do okay. Like I said, AF1s, Roshes, Frees, etc. are selling way more than any adidas product. As soon as somebody walks into the store, they go straight for the Nike wall and the first shoe they usually pick up is either a Free or Roshe. Nike alone probably does 50-60℅ of most stores' sales. Nike is still king and will be for a while. To be honest, Superstars are more popular with the white girls than dudes.

Last edited:
They do okay. Like I said, AF1s, Roshes, Frees, etc. are selling way more than any adidas product. As soon as somebody walks into the store, they go straight for the Nike wall and the first shoe they usually pick up is either a Free or Roshe. Nike alone probably does 50-60℅ of most stores' sales. Nike is still king and will be for a while. To be honest, Superstars are more popular with the white girls than dudes.
a long the lines of what i was thinking. nike has an advantage because theyve got a much larger catalog of "hyped" and everyday models that sell consistently. even with a shoe that i love like ultraboosts the its success completely based on colorway from what ive seen atleast. adidas to spread that innovation to more in my opinion 

ye helped adidas immensely. not sure it can even really be measured. his influenced changed the game for. ye was the catalyst for them to really start popping again. now all of a sudden adidas bout to be running the game. this hasn't been the case since run dmc (1980s).

Running the game? Naw

Increased their profile and popularity.

a long the lines of what i was thinking. nike has an advantage because theyve got a much larger catalog of "hyped" and everyday models that sell consistently. even with a shoe that i love like ultraboosts the its success completely based on colorway from what ive seen atleast. adidas to spread that innovation to more in my opinion 
Ultraboosts are actually more in line with the "sneakerhead" market. Not only is it not Nike, it's also a $180 shoe. Not a lot of people in the "general consumer" market can swallow $180 for a pair of shoes, especially if it's not Nike.

Ye definitely boosted their popularity. Nobody wanted no damb Adidas shoes 4-5 years ago

Ye definitely boosted their popularity. Nobody wanted no damb Adidas shoes 4-5 years ago
You have no idea how annoying this is. Everything costs way more money now. When will the trend go away so I can my shoes and normal prices....

You have no idea how annoying this is. Everything costs way more money now. When will the trend go away so I can my shoes and normal prices....

:lol:

You and Ty the only two who I really give a pass to. Everyone else just tryna keep up with the Kardashians.

Last edited:
You and Ty the only two who I really give a pass to. Everyone else just tryna keep up with the Kardashians.
There are plenty of members here that have always worn Adidas, New Balance, Puma, Asics etc. Just because Adidas is in the limelight right now doesn't necessarily mean anyone besides Ty & Don Adidada wearing it are "keeping up with the Kardashians". I know hypebeast will gravitate towards everything that's considered hot at the moment, but Adidas really did make the much needed changes for the brand to stay competitive.

There are plenty of members here that have always worn Adidas, New Balance, Puma, Asics etc. Just because Adidas is in the limelight right now doesn't necessarily mean anyone besides Ty & Don Adidada wearing it are "keeping up with the Kardashians". I know hypebeast will gravitate towards everything that's considered hot at the moment, but Adidas really did make the much needed changes for the brand to stay competitive.

View media item 2109203

Back
Top Bottom