How much you dropping for that engagement ring?

Originally Posted by CJDynasty

Originally Posted by UTVOL23

Yup, I feel you there.  I had debt free undergrad (on scholarship) but I racked up like 100K with Law school and bar loan... No where near you, but I know your pain(and Im not banking half a millie a year neither...haha)!  Its all relative!
Assuming you passed the Bar if so congrats! What type of law do you practice. I have also considered, although fleetingly, getting my JD but I am def getting an MBA in addition.
Thanks bro!  I passed back in 2010.  Foolishly, im considering taking another one next year
ohwell.gif
.  I practice Busines, corporate, contract, and entertainment law.  However, after I get this new jurisdiction under my belt, im looking to get more into the General Criminal/ Family law practice.....MBA or JD in addition
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
  Admin in your future eh?
wink.gif
Nice will the new jurisdiction be a pay bump?

Yea i will probably at least wind up getting an MBA just for the simple fact that is opens more doors and if I am every tired of practicing medicine I can practice in other ways also it will give me more options to increase my income or supplement it in the least

Assuming you passed the Bar if so congrats! What type of law do you practice. I have also considered, although fleetingly, getting my JD but I am def getting an MBA in addition.
Thanks bro!  I passed back in 2010.  Foolishly, im considering taking another one next year
ohwell.gif
.  I practice Busines, corporate, contract, and entertainment law.  However, after I get this new jurisdiction under my belt, im looking to get more into the General Criminal/ Family law practice.....MBA or JD in addition
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
  Admin in your future eh?
wink.gif
Nice will the new jurisdiction be a pay bump?

Yea i will probably at least wind up getting an MBA just for the simple fact that is opens more doors and if I am every tired of practicing medicine I can practice in other ways also it will give me more options to increase my income or supplement it in the least
Yea it would provide for more opportunities/ supplemental income.  So I know exactly what you are talking about.  I keep telling everyone, the way to get ahead, its all about having money coming in for all different angles.  Im currently working on a few avenues myself.  So know EXACTLY what you are talking about.  Eventually I would like to just practice law ON MY OWN terms.  Would love to get some of this entreprenuerial stuff going here soon.

If she were the one :lol: like 10K

edit: Actually, nvm. like 6K MAX the rest can be spent on a honeymoon.

Last edited:
[h3]Exact reason why I will stick with synthetic moissanite diamonds!!![/h3]
Public is brainwashed..clown me if you want
[h3]  [/h3][h3]  [/h3][h3]  [/h3][h3]7 Reasons Why You Should NEVER Buy a Diamond:[/h3]
1. The price of diamonds has been artificially inflated since the 1880's via the De Beers diamond cartel. For a detailed exposé of the De Beers cartel, read this article by Edward Jay Epstein in the February 1982 issue of The Atlantic Monthly.

2. Current public perception of diamonds is the direct result of a masterfully executed marketing campaign by De Beers that began in 1938, not inherent scarcity or value. If you've read the article by Edward Epstein (you really should), you know all of the gory details. Isn't it amazing (and scary) how brainwashed people are about the "value" of diamonds, even though they're not actually worth that much?

3. A diamond is an illiquid asset, not an "investment". Don't believe me? Try to sell a second-hand diamond ring on eBay or at a pawn shop. Do you really think you'll get anything close to what you paid for it? Do you really think the price of any diamond you purchase today is going to go up significantly over time? A diamond ring isn't even a good "insurance policy" to fall back on during hard times - it's an illiquid asset that you'll have a hard time selling for a price anywhere close to what you paid for it.

4. The diamond industry funds warfare, genocide, and terrorism. According to Wikipedia, "a conflict diamond (also called a blood diamond or a war diamond) is a diamond mined in a war zone and sold, usually clandestinely, in order to finance an insurgent or invading army's war efforts." Profits from conflict diamonds are used to finance warlords in Angola, Sierra Leone, and Liberia, who use their weapons to kill and maim innocent people. Isn't that romantic?

5. A diamond is - by nature - just a pretty rock. Think of the oft-quoted "rule" of diamond ring buying: the ring should cost a minimum of two month's salary (pre-tax), and you should spend as much on a ring as you can afford. Let's put this rule in its proper context: according to the people who sell pretty rocks, you're supposed to trade a full two months of your time and effort for one of their pretty rocks. Does that seem wise?

6. People notice the setting more than the diamond itself. To the naked human eye, most decent quality diamonds look the same. Unless the stone is yellow, has major inclusions, or has a distinctly lopsided cut, no one will be able to distinguish an ideal cut, E color, VS-1 stone from a lesser-quality diamond just by looking at it. What people do notice is the setting - how the stone is featured or placed, side stones, and the craftsmanship and artistry of the band. Knowing this - does it make more sense to focus your attention and dollars on a better stone, or on a better setting?

7. The opportunity cost of buying a diamond is huge. Opportunity cost is what you give up by spending your scarce resources on a single option. In other words, if you drop ten grand on a diamond ring, you have $10,000 less to spend on other things, like a fantastic honeymoon, a car, furniture, a down payment on a house, investing for the future, or further education. Are all of these options worth giving up for a little piece of colorless carbon?

Last edited:
Just spend what you think is reasonable......what you feel is a fair amount considering what your other financial commitments are the time and what your FUTURE financial commitments will be if you're getting married in the near future, need to buy a house, car, kids etc etc.

I was engaged 2 years ago (when i was 32) and I spent 10k, even though I make around 160-180k a year. Even that for me was a little too much. It's just material possessions, I'd rather spend money on travel etc so you can build shared memories together.

When you're on that death bed, you're not thinking about all your 'stuff', you're thinking about people and the experiences you shared.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

Price of the ring isn't even relevant.

Find something nice in your budget. If your girl is telling you how much to spend then you have already lost.

If she really loves you than she would say yes with no ring if thats what it came down to.

Engagement rings are pointless
Why am I going to shell out 10k on a ring and get nothing in return?
Please, miss me with dat
An idiot ting dat

Engagement rings are pointless
Why am I going to shell out 10k on a ring and get nothing in return?
Please, miss me with dat
An idiot ting dat
Agreed to an extent.

Am I missing something here? What kind of marriage-worthy female asks her man how much the engagement ring cost him?

If your lady asked you that after you popped the question, wouldn't you be a bit suspicious?

[h3]Exact reason why I will stick with synthetic moissanite diamonds!!![/h3]

Public is brainwashed..clown me if you want
[h3] [/h3]

[h3] [/h3]

[h3] [/h3]

[h3]7 Reasons Why You Should NEVER Buy a Diamond:[/h3]

1. The price of diamonds has been artificially inflated since the 1880's via the De Beers diamond cartel. For a detailed exposé of the De Beers cartel, read this article by Edward Jay Epstein in the February 1982 issue of The Atlantic Monthly.

2. Current public perception of diamonds is the direct result of a masterfully executed marketing campaign by De Beers that began in 1938, not inherent scarcity or value. If you've read the article by Edward Epstein (you really should), you know all of the gory details. Isn't it amazing (and scary) how brainwashed people are about the "value" of diamonds, even though they're not actually worth that much?

3. A diamond is an illiquid asset, not an "investment". Don't believe me? Try to sell a second-hand diamond ring on eBay or at a pawn shop. Do you really think you'll get anything close to what you paid for it? Do you really think the price of any diamond you purchase today is going to go up significantly over time? A diamond ring isn't even a good "insurance policy" to fall back on during hard times - it's an illiquid asset that you'll have a hard time selling for a price anywhere close to what you paid for it.

4. The diamond industry funds warfare, genocide, and terrorism. According to Wikipedia, "a conflict diamond (also called a blood diamond or a war diamond) is a diamond mined in a war zone and sold, usually clandestinely, in order to finance an insurgent or invading army's war efforts." Profits from conflict diamonds are used to finance warlords in Angola, Sierra Leone, and Liberia, who use their weapons to kill and maim innocent people. Isn't that romantic?

5. A diamond is - by nature - just a pretty rock. Think of the oft-quoted "rule" of diamond ring buying: the ring should cost a minimum of two month's salary (pre-tax), and you should spend as much on a ring as you can afford. Let's put this rule in its proper context: according to the people who sell pretty rocks, you're supposed to trade a full two months of your time and effort for one of their pretty rocks. Does that seem wise?

6. People notice the setting more than the diamond itself. To the naked human eye, most decent quality diamonds look the same. Unless the stone is yellow, has major inclusions, or has a distinctly lopsided cut, no one will be able to distinguish an ideal cut, E color, VS-1 stone from a lesser-quality diamond just by looking at it. What people do notice is the setting - how the stone is featured or placed, side stones, and the craftsmanship and artistry of the band. Knowing this - does it make more sense to focus your attention and dollars on a better stone, or on a better setting?

7. The opportunity cost of buying a diamond is huge. Opportunity cost is what you give up by spending your scarce resources on a single option. In other words, if you drop ten grand on a diamond ring, you have $10,000 less to spend on other things, like a fantastic honeymoon, a car, furniture, a down payment on a house, investing for the future, or further education. Are all of these options worth giving up for a little piece of colorless carbon?
i agree 100 percent

Went to this spot thinking I could just get the setting from there cause that's exactly what my girl wanted.

But turns out they only sell complete sets. I don't want to finance a ring I want to just cash it out. Because I know in the end I worked hard for her. I heard the rule of thumb was 3 months of your yearly salary. So I'm just going to save up for that. But my girl pieced together what she wanted and it came out to about 9k. So I save me about 16k. Lol.

Went to this spot thinking I could just get the setting from there cause that's exactly what my girl wanted.

But turns out they only sell complete sets. I don't want to finance a ring I want to just cash it out. Because I know in the end I worked hard for her. I heard the rule of thumb was 3 months of your yearly salary. So I'm just going to save up for that. But my girl pieced together what she wanted and it came out to about 9k. So I save me about 16k. Lol.

Mind Blown!

I paid under $1000....

Last edited:
When I was on the verge of getting engaged, he asked what kind of cut I wanted and was shocked/confused when I said I didn't really want an engagement ring :lol:

If and when I actually do get married I'll be happy with a simple titanium or platinum band from Tiffany.

I ended up spending about 8k on my wife's ring. About 500 for the wedding bands (2). The ring was custom and I never regretted the price I shelled out for it. Funny thing is wifey never once said a thing about what price or cut or anything she wanted leading up to it. Love took over for me and I just wanted to blow her mind really.

If you're fussing about the price, or your girl is, maybe you should wait until it feels more natural.

Prob about 2 grand. Pretty much what i can afford. Love to be traditional with the whole 3 months salary but i gotta be realistic. Plus when it comes to the wedding its me and her.

$145 wifey and I got matching tattoo. Too bad I had to spend another $300 to cover up the tattoo because I found out my daughter wasn't mine and wifey cheated on me. You live and you learn. I'm just happy I didn't spend 8k on a female who played me.

$145 wifey and I got matching tattoo. Too bad I had to spend another $300 to cover up the tattoo because I found out my daughter wasn't mine and wifey cheated on me. You live and you learn. I'm just happy I didn't spend 8k on a female who played me.

How you find out it wasnt yours? Some females be acring shady when u ask for a dna test...

Her dad manages a jewelry store was able to get her the ring she wanted for right at 1300. Granted his discount helped lol. My girl wants a destination wedding too in the Dominican Republic so I gotta save for that. It's cool though been looking at prices and it's not too bad.

You should never finance a jewelry, especially jewelry someone else is going to wear.

That being said, it should be affordable. Upgrade it every 5 or 10 years.

Her dad manages a jewelry store was able to get her the ring she wanted for right at 1300. Granted his discount helped lol. My girl wants a destination wedding too in the Dominican Republic so I gotta save for that. It's cool though been looking at prices and it's not too bad.

Destination weddings are hella cheap compared to having a local ceremony and reception.

Last edited:
;x deets, my dude...

I joked with my girl about a destination wedding and she got huffy.

I'm not trying to drop 15k on nuptials, b...

Back
Top Bottom