Im just tired of people comparing Geno Auriemma's Conneticut team to John Wooden's UCLA Team

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

eh, it's kind of impressive (moreso that they haven't hit variance of any sort) but the dude who said it displays the sorry state of affairs in women's college basketball is correct as well.
When the Bulls went 72-10 was that a reflection of the sorry state of affairs in the NBA?

Or how about only 8 teams winning NBA CHampionships in the last however many years. What does that say about the NBA?

Or what about NOW in the NBA where we have seen 5 different double digit winning streaks before XMAS? What does that say?

How is women's basketball in any sadder state than any other form of basketball?

eh, it's kind of impressive (moreso that they haven't hit variance of any sort) but the dude who said it displays the sorry state of affairs in women's college basketball is correct as well.
When the Bulls went 72-10 was that a reflection of the sorry state of affairs in the NBA?

Or how about only 8 teams winning NBA CHampionships in the last however many years. What does that say about the NBA?

Or what about NOW in the NBA where we have seen 5 different double digit winning streaks before XMAS? What does that say?

How is women's basketball in any sadder state than any other form of basketball?

This streak is very impressive but it is hard for me to give it the credit it deserves.  I have played basketball all my life and in highschool the girls would always have games before the boys.  One thing is that I noticed is that one girl can dominate a game on both sides of the floor, if she can dribble with both hands, shoot well, pass well, etc.  Our school had a girl who played varsity level ball for 5 years 7th thru the 12th grade and she was BY FAR the best in the region.  She won region player of the year 4 years in a row.  This girl dominated in all aspects, but in the boys arena the talent level is FAR more evenly distributed.  What you have is Geno basically running a monopoly on all the best talent in the country.  No longer is the best talent going to Tenn., La Tech, Stanford,  or any other traditional women's powerhouse.  All the best talent is now going to UCONN, all the other schools are getting good talent but it seems to be the talent that UCONN has no use for.  Don't get me wrong the streak is impressive, but really not that tough when you have all the best talent.  Really do you think that Geno and his staff could pull this off at IOWA State with second level talent???

This streak is very impressive but it is hard for me to give it the credit it deserves.  I have played basketball all my life and in highschool the girls would always have games before the boys.  One thing is that I noticed is that one girl can dominate a game on both sides of the floor, if she can dribble with both hands, shoot well, pass well, etc.  Our school had a girl who played varsity level ball for 5 years 7th thru the 12th grade and she was BY FAR the best in the region.  She won region player of the year 4 years in a row.  This girl dominated in all aspects, but in the boys arena the talent level is FAR more evenly distributed.  What you have is Geno basically running a monopoly on all the best talent in the country.  No longer is the best talent going to Tenn., La Tech, Stanford,  or any other traditional women's powerhouse.  All the best talent is now going to UCONN, all the other schools are getting good talent but it seems to be the talent that UCONN has no use for.  Don't get me wrong the streak is impressive, but really not that tough when you have all the best talent.  Really do you think that Geno and his staff could pull this off at IOWA State with second level talent???

Originally Posted by RetroBaller

fine you go coach a womens team. i bet you wont lose a game.

?

How about the guy who coaches the UCONN women's team goes to coach another team. I bet he will lose a game  within, say, his first 20.

THe streak is obviously a result of a confluence of events; the coach, the team, and the poor state of the league.

I always wonder why he hasn't left for a men's gig yet.  I'd like to see how good of a coach he really is when there is a lot more competition for the top tier recruits.

I'd also love to see these UCONN teams play a mens team in a preseason game.  I'd be willing to bet any top 25 mens team would beat them by 50+.  I guess you have to give them credit for the streak but when there is absolutely no parody in womens basketball, I'm not overly impressed by it.  Like soemeone else said there are a variety of factors that contribute to their situation.  If something like this ever happened in the mens game today, I'd be in total shock.

?

How about the guy who coaches the UCONN women's team goes to coach another team. I bet he will lose a game  within, say, his first 20.

THe streak is obviously a result of a confluence of events; the coach, the team, and the poor state of the league.

I always wonder why he hasn't left for a men's gig yet.  I'd like to see how good of a coach he really is when there is a lot more competition for the top tier recruits.

I'd also love to see these UCONN teams play a mens team in a preseason game.  I'd be willing to bet any top 25 mens team would beat them by 50+.  I guess you have to give them credit for the streak but when there is absolutely no parody in womens basketball, I'm not overly impressed by it.  Like soemeone else said there are a variety of factors that contribute to their situation.  If something like this ever happened in the mens game today, I'd be in total shock.

Originally Posted by lynchpin33

Youre comparing HS to Division 1 athletes. 

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

The thing about women's basketball is that every four or so years there is that one dominant player that UCONN, Tennessee, and all the other programs try to get. If UCONN or Tennesse get that player then they will be dominant because you combine that one player with the usual level of talent on those squads and you can do very well. UCONN is currently in that cycle thanks to Maya Moore, Tennesse was in that a few years ago cycle thanks to Candace Parker, and the cycle goes on and on.

The thing about women's basketball is that every four or so years there is that one dominant player that UCONN, Tennessee, and all the other programs try to get. If UCONN or Tennesse get that player then they will be dominant because you combine that one player with the usual level of talent on those squads and you can do very well. UCONN is currently in that cycle thanks to Maya Moore, Tennesse was in that a few years ago cycle thanks to Candace Parker, and the cycle goes on and on.

Originally Posted by mjd77

?

Biologically, men are more athletically gifted so of course a men's team would beat a women's team, but that doesn't say anything about the state of women's basketball. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Originally Posted by mjd77

?

Biologically, men are more athletically gifted so of course a men's team would beat a women's team, but that doesn't say anything about the state of women's basketball. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Remember, in womens bball just about everyone stays for 4 years which makes it easier to dominate and have the continuity that they have.

Remember, in womens bball just about everyone stays for 4 years which makes it easier to dominate and have the continuity that they have.

Originally Posted by Durden7

laugh.gif
No, I don't think that I am comparing highschool to division 1 athletes, I am just using my personal experience and things I have watched first hand.  Basically saying that a girl who is physically advanced and more skilled than other females can dominate a game on BOTH ends.  It only takes one girl to dominate a game where in the men's arena, unless you have Kobe talent that is not necessarily going to happen.  I mean how many times have you seen a female with UConn women's basketball talent at your local gym (Maya Moore) not often.  I bet everyguy on this board can attest that most girls that play with the guys just get in the way 9/10 times.  The chances of playing with a Maya Moore or a Candace Parker (talent level wise) in your local gym are few and far in between.  But, you always see dudes who can play above the rim at a dime a dozen.  So now consequently you have Geno and his staff getting all the girls that have dominated in their respective areas, while other schools are getting girls who have dominated, but not on that Uconn women's type level.  So basically the female that I was talking about in my earlier post did not even have a chance of going to UConn, despite playing varsity from the seventh grade on up and being player of the year 9th thru 12th grade.  Even with all those accolades the biggest offer she got was from a D-1AA school.  She was not what you call "UConn Talent".  So that should tell you the talent level of the girls that they have at Uconn, and if he has 12 to 15 of them on his team, and everybody has one or two, that is why I cannot give that streak all that kind of credit.

Originally Posted by Durden7

laugh.gif
No, I don't think that I am comparing highschool to division 1 athletes, I am just using my personal experience and things I have watched first hand.  Basically saying that a girl who is physically advanced and more skilled than other females can dominate a game on BOTH ends.  It only takes one girl to dominate a game where in the men's arena, unless you have Kobe talent that is not necessarily going to happen.  I mean how many times have you seen a female with UConn women's basketball talent at your local gym (Maya Moore) not often.  I bet everyguy on this board can attest that most girls that play with the guys just get in the way 9/10 times.  The chances of playing with a Maya Moore or a Candace Parker (talent level wise) in your local gym are few and far in between.  But, you always see dudes who can play above the rim at a dime a dozen.  So now consequently you have Geno and his staff getting all the girls that have dominated in their respective areas, while other schools are getting girls who have dominated, but not on that Uconn women's type level.  So basically the female that I was talking about in my earlier post did not even have a chance of going to UConn, despite playing varsity from the seventh grade on up and being player of the year 9th thru 12th grade.  Even with all those accolades the biggest offer she got was from a D-1AA school.  She was not what you call "UConn Talent".  So that should tell you the talent level of the girls that they have at Uconn, and if he has 12 to 15 of them on his team, and everybody has one or two, that is why I cannot give that streak all that kind of credit.

Take any D-2 mens team or Any of the top 10 mens highschool teams and they will beat those girls....But like many have said that many wins in arow is hard to do but i could careless

Take any D-2 mens team or Any of the top 10 mens highschool teams and they will beat those girls....But like many have said that many wins in arow is hard to do but i could careless

The difference between Kareem and UCLA and the rest of the country is greater than the difference in talent gap between UCONN and the rest of the women's teams.

Back
Top Bottom