Is not giving a tip bad

Y'all some weirdos messing up the dining game. I just had the opposite of this happen to me not too long ago. Had my waitress ask me if I wanted separate checks when I asked for the bill after dinner with my girl. I was insulted, but I have thicker skin than OP. Paid with cash and tipped her $40.

What a sucka

Henny just looking for an excuse to post his high end dinners to stunt on us.

l see you @Hennessy  
laugh.gif

The food was A1 and her service was great up until the end, she brought out the hot moist towels before and after the meal and everything. The accommodations were more than reasonable. A large antique statue made of marble was obstructing my view of the moonlit water, I asked if we could be seated elsewhere and we were put right by the window. I admit I was underdressed, I was wearing Supreme though, she should've known what time it was. Maybe because I was just wearing a t shirt she assumed I couldn't afford to pay for the whole the meal on my own. It didn't upset me much I was just a little surprised, slightly disrespected, so I only tipped 16% instead of the usual 30%.

Last edited:
The food was A1 and her service was great up until the end, she brought out the hot moist towels before and after the meal and everything. The accommodations were more than reasonable. A large antique statue made of marble was obstructing my view of the moonlit water, I asked if we could be seated elsewhere and we were put right by the window. I admit I was underdressed, I was wearing Supreme though, she should've known what time it was. Maybe because I was just wearing a t shirt she assumed I couldn't afford to pay for the whole the meal on my own. It didn't upset me much I was just a little surprised, slightly disrespected, so I only tipped 16% instead of the usual 30%.
Sound like she fumbled at the goal line to me. But tip on playa

Yeah yeah yeah, how much was the meal :nerd:

This all boils down to how you were raised.

Unfortunately, this thread is a prime example of how divided our country truly is.

That's not the same thing. Your waitress made a mistake. My waitress was just rude for no reason

In my experience, it seems like second generation Latino and Asian immigrants, who are men and who work in the professions, are the most contemptuous of food service workers. This is surprising since second generation immigrants who are Asian or Latino tend to be very progressive on most matters.

IMO it starts in the home, a lot of immigrants households work very hard and in order to do it, they often times have more specialization of labor than native and/or white households. The men usually work well over eight hours per day and they do no housework. This is survival strategy under white supremacy and capitalism. When there is a household where the women do all of the domestic work and the men do all of the paid work and they do so in a society that only acknowledges paid and formal work, there is tendency to undervalue any form of work that is not compensated and well compensated at that.

A number of my Asian and Latino friends and classmates did indeed study hard, they got into good schools and made the "right" contacts and now they are in the professional class but too many of them seem totally unaware of the thousands of hours of work, usually done by the women in the household, that allowed them to ultimately get a big, "important" job. We all have blind spots when it comes to social justice and white men are allowed to point out the flaws of other cishet men, even if those cishet men are persons of color.

On this particular front, I do think that white people, within the context of liberal California residents, are more progressive because there is less gender specialization of household work in white households.

Last edited:
FOH

I'm Asian and everywhere my mom took me she pointed out waiters, workers at stores and told me look how hard they look. Remember that and always respect that.

I know you've changed a lot through the years but your white privilege is showing.

Just bc it's your experience doesn't mean it's ours

FOH

I'm Asian and everywhere my mom took me she pointed out waiters, workers at stores and told me look how hard they look. Remember that and always respect that.

I know you've changed a lot through the years but your white privilege is showing.

Just bc it's your experience doesn't mean it's ours

I didn't say that it is the universal experience.

A lack of acknowledgment for people in food service (in and out of the home) is a fact in every community and in my own experiences in liberal California, it seems most pronounced by those who benefited from hyper specialization in immigrant households.

I call out fellow whites for their unearned privilege all of the time. Today, I am calling out folks whose male and professional class privilege goes unacknowledged.

-Anyone that looks down on a food service worker, and uses that as an excuse not to tip, is on some scumbag steez imo.

There should be pride and respect for all kinds of labor. It is even more disgusting when dudes used to work in food service or blue collar jobs, but now look down on them.

Dudes dudes got this weird habit on gaining utility from being able to point and say "well, at least I am better off than that man".

-As far as tipping goes, because the lessons taught to me by my family and my own person experiences, I tip generously.

I would prefer though a system where the food cost more and every worker across the board was paid more. I worked service jobs in the Hamptons for many summers, and within some places you will find that a waiter might be clearly 1000 plus a week (sometimes twice that), but some low levels cooks being shafted. I heard this is the case in other high end restaurants too.

Hell I would even prefer if my hair cuts costed more to cover my tip and that sales tax was collected on it (that is another discussion).

Whether it be our tax code, our health insurance system, or our food service, Americans are too used to the real cost of stuff being hidden from them.

Last edited:
If she got big tetas and a pretty smile but cant flirt for **** does she still get a phat tip? Or a number for just da tip?

And for the record, we all know Henny eats fine pearls for breakfast and substitute salt with gold flakes.

I think some of you, "You shouldn't split the bill" dudes aren't considering folks that DON'T drink.

I think some of you, "You shouldn't split the bill" dudes aren't considering folks that DON'T drink.

Nobody said you shouldn't split a bill, getting ahead of the group eager to get your own score settled is what makes you look bad, just wait till everyone is ready to pay up b, some of ya lack social skills :lol:

Nobody said you shouldn't split a bill, getting ahead of the group eager to get your own score settled is what makes you look bad, just wait till everyone is ready to pay up b, some of ya lack social skills
laugh.gif
So i meet up with friends after work for drinks.

Have a few laughs a few beers and i'm ready to bounce.

Looks like they're just getting started.

l have no problem asking for my check. 
laugh.gif

Don't need to wait around for permission.

Don't see the issue and people do that all the time in group outings.

Guess our circles are different.

Ya'll sensitive.

Last edited:
So i meet up with friends after work for drinks.

Have a few laughs a few beers and i'm ready to bounce.

Looks like they're just getting started.

l have no problem asking for my check. :lol:

Don't need to wait around for permission.

Don't see the issue and people do that all the time in group outings.

Guess our circles are different.

Ya'll sensitive.

I did say earlier on, UNLESS YOU ARE READY TO LEAVE AND EVERYONE ELSE IS STAYING....obviously you not gonna sit there waiting if you wanna go :lol:

That wasn't the case with OP

3) Tipping is customary it is not obligatory. I am respecting cultural norms but by no means do I "HAVE" to. Not everyone has the same customs.

Speaking of this ... we were out one night and a family from UK (i assume by accent) said that where theyre from tipping isnt the norm. So when they first came to the US it caught them off when their kids left money on the table.

This was over a year ago so i dont remember full detail plus i was eves dropping :lol:

Edit: google search says up to 12.5% is already added to the bill so maybe thats what they were referring to

In Scotland, they dont tip at all

Last edited:
When I was in Europe in the mid 90s it wasn't a thing either.

Some hotels have mandatory value, like in downtown Houston and they don't tell you until after you check in. **** was $25 a night. I felt no remorse not tipping those dudes. Sorry

I still give my barber $20. Cuts used to be $15 so that's 33%, on his site and his new poster says it's 20 now so I'm giving him exact now but I think he grandfathered the hommies in at $15 so idk. I tried to give him $23 one time and he handed me the 3 back.

When I was in Europe in the mid 90s it wasn't a thing either.

Some hotels have mandatory value, like in downtown Houston and they don't tell you until after you check in. **** was $25 a night. I felt no remorse not tipping those dudes. Sorry

I still give my barber $20. Cuts used to be $15 so that's 33%, on his site and his new poster says it's 20 now so I'm giving him exact now but I think he grandfathered the hommies in at $15 so idk. I tried to give him $23 one time and he handed me the 3 back.

And you took them 3 with pride huh?

diouf1.jpg

In my experience, it seems like second generation Latino and Asian immigrants are the most contemptuous of food service workers.

IMO it starts in the home, a lot of immigrants households work very hard and in order to do it, they often times have more specialization of labor than native and/or white households. The men usually work well over eight hours per day and they do no housework.

A number of my Asian and Latino friends and classmates did indeed study hard, they got into good schools and made the "right" contacts and now they are in the professional class but too many of them seem totally unaware of the thousands of hours of work, usually done by the women in the household, that allowed them to ultimately get a big, "important" job.

On this particular front, I do think that white people are more progressive because there is less gender specialization of household work in white households.

What the **** are you going on about?

This more data from MadeUpMonkey****.com?

Speaking of this ... we were out one night and a family from UK (i assume by accent) said that where theyre from tipping isnt the norm. So when they first came to the US it caught them off when their kids left money on the table.

This was over a year ago so i dont remember full detail plus i was eves dropping :lol:

Edit: google search says up to 12.5% is already added to the bill so maybe thats what they were referring to

In Scotland, they dont tip at all

In the middle east tipping depends on thw service, but most waiters arent tipped hell they don't even have tip jars at Starbucks that stuck out too me.

But then when the holidays come around your expected tip or give a bonus to anyone who you see regularly for service. Like the laundry guy or your mechanic will get bread

Back
Top Bottom