Is Peyton Manning the most overrated qb of all time?

Regarding elway getting blown out. His team wasn't all that good.

I doubt many people can name any of his receivers on those late 80's broncos teams without a google search. The afc was trash at that time. 13 straight Super Bowl losses with many of those one sided losses speaks on that.

On top of that, they lost to arguably the greatest team of all time, 89 49ers, and a team that's up there in the 86 giants. I wouldn't rank Washington with those teams though but those Denver teams were overmatched

At least three, wasn't it four? But the NFC was so much better then, wasn't even close between the leagues

John is lucky he got a run game, oline and defense to end his career :lol:

I do think he's overrated in the sense that he is assuredly not the greatest QB of all time.

The conversation about him being the GOAT has suddenly started in the last couple years based solely on the regular season stats he's put up with all the rules changed to make the game easy while he's playing with one of the most talented skill position units of the last decade.

The 2008 Giants defensive line were incredibly dominate. There was no way Brady was going to beat that team, or at least the offense. The only way the Patriots could've won was if the Giants offense struggled.

Also that very same almost perfect season it was the Giants that gave them that competition during the season and almost beat the Pats. It was a bad matchup for the Patriots and co. both Superbowls.

I think Peyton was always in the conversation @100027 even more during that season they went to the SB against the Saints (had he won).

Everyone harps on the rule changes but we just saw the greatest secondary ever win a chip last year, scoring isn't actually up and he's really the only one putting up these numbers. But yea, it is the rule changes.

Also that very same almost perfect season it was the Giants that gave them that competition during the season and almost beat the Pats. It was a bad matchup for the Patriots and co. both Superbowls.

I think Peyton was always in the conversation @100027 even more during that season they went to the SB against the Saints (had he won).

Yeah, i think it was the game in Week 17, right?

I honestly can't soak to the level of competition back then, I was born in 90. 45-10 looked pretty shocking in a super bowl :lol:

Yeah, i think it was the game in Week 17, right?

yup. we won that game by 3

I honestly can't soak to the level of competition back then, I was born in 90. 45-10 looked pretty shocking in a super bowl
laugh.gif
they lost 39-20 in super bowl 21.  led 10-9 at halftime but it was 39-13 before a garbage time touchdown

42-10 in super bowl 22,  had a 10-0 lead after the first quarter,

and 55-10 in super bowl 24

that nfc dominance was something else though.  i doubt we ever see one conference win 13 straight super bowls ever again.   crazy thing is that aside from super bowl 23 (49ers vs bengals) and super bowl 25 (giants vs bills scott norwood game),  all those games were pretty one sided.  the steelers had chances in super bowl 30 but dallas was in control of that game throughout for the most part.

All I wanna know is: how is Manning in your top 3 of all time when there are three qbs arguably better than him still playing?

All I wanna know is: how is Manning in your top 3 of all time when there are three qbs arguably better than him still playing?

Who has come close to putting a career resume together like Peyton besides the obvious? If you say Ben, I will accept :lol:

Everyone harps on the rule changes but we just saw the greatest secondary ever win a chip last year, scoring isn't actually up and he's really the only one putting up these numbers. But yea, it is the rule changes.
Not to be all #wellactually, but scoring has gone up the last four consecutive years. It's slightly down right now this season, so if that manages to hold it'll break the recent trend. Still a lot of football to be played though.

As far as Seattle beating Denver, it all goes back to the old cliche that usually holds true (great defense beats great offense). Then factor in statistics that show the NFL refs are looser with the enforcement of penalties and more prone to letting stuff go in the playoffs. The last two SB Champs, Ravens & Seahawks, were the most penalized team in the league for their respective championship years. Giants were the 6th most penalized in 2011. That's not to say you should aim to rack out on flags because that clearly hasn't worked for the Raiders in forever, but great defenses tend to be over aggressive and that benefits them when it matters. It also helps when the other team craps themselves in every way imaginable.

The NFL just underwent their most significant rule changes/emphasis on defensive penalties in a decade because, for better or worse, they want more offense in these games.

Those changes were happening no matter what, but I'm sure the whooping that took place in their biggest spectacle only drove home the point that more defense = uglier games = less viewers = less revenue = can't reach league goal of tripling revenue in 20 years.

Someone already brought it up, but when it last happened a decade ago, Bill Polian led the charge with his constant complaints after Colts receivers were molested in the '03 playoffs. He wasn't just any ol' team president lashing out either...Polian was part of the competition committee and obviously had enormous influence.

So IDK man...I think Peyton deserves to be celebrated and the records are legit. It's remarkable he's still playing at a high level at his current age and post-neck surgery. I'm just a bit numb at this point to offensive records being broken in very short spans when you consider the circumstances and take a look around to league to see what else goes on.

Last edited:
roll.gif

You must think dudes are talking about Eli.

Only qb in this generation that is arguably better than P. Manning is Brady.

And with 1 more ring for Peyton I think that argument goes out of the window.

Skill wise i honestly do believe that Drew Brees is up there with Peyton also... But his start in SD wasn't very glorious.

re: TB12's failures vs. the Giants in both Superbowls.

I've always thought the Ravens in '07 were actually the first team to lay the foundation and set up the blueprint to beat Brady and the Pats offense.

Baltimore narrowly lost that game in the regular season, but the key points of their gameplan has been utilized over the last 7+ seasons by Patriot opponents that can replicate their personnel and/or scheme. Take away the run early, flood the middle of the field, force Brady to the hash marks, lay them out and be the aggressor, and most importantly, create CONSTANT pressure with your front 4 (sometimes 3 
mean.gif
) linemen. If that pressure comes from the inside...even better.

Tom gets rattled, starts seeing ghosts, and to use a Greg Bedard quote, he becomes "sped up" (like earlier this season) and plays poorly.

Rex Ryan was the Raven's D-coordinator at the time. No explanation necessary there, just look at almost every Jets, Ravens, Giants victory vs. the Pats since '07 and you'll see how similar their defenses attacked and neutralized the other side. 

What annoys me is our GM made that blueprint infinitely easier to execute by trading the one legit deep threat we had to spread out the opposing backfield and hasn't come close to replacing him. And once the immobile pocket QB's o-line regresses and isn't properly taken care of = death is certain in those games.

Yeah I can't think of 3 current qb's that are better then Peyton.

If you were to say, 3 qb's you would rather have if you needed to win 1 game and went with a more clutch qb, I could get that. But all around minus the clutch variable, I can't agree won't that.

I'd take Rodgers over Manning. You can't go wrong with either, obviously....but I think Rodgers is a better QB. When it's all said and done, there's a good chance we'll be debating him as one of the 5 best to play the game as well. Just gotta wonder who gets bumped off of the QB Mt. Rushmore to make room?

:lol: rodgers over manning. already crowning him. so sad.

there aint a good chance of ****. one playoff run. outside of that, average in the postseason. frail. shaky.

Rodgers is eli manning until further notice.

Last edited:
Brees is certainly a fabulous QB and will go down as great, I don't think he'll ever be in the same category as Peyton and Brady.

I gotta agree with JJ Watt on this one though. Brady, Rodgers and Peyton have all been playing musical chairs for the top 3 QB's in the league for at least 4-5 seasons now. Although, last season and so far this season Peyton has really separated himself from the pack.

It's truly remarkable to see how well he's playing at his age and after those 4 crucial neck surgeries. It was just 2-3 years ago we were all wondering if he would ever suit up and play football again.

If you have any sort of respect for the NFL and the game of football, I can't see why you cannot admire what Peyton has done in his career thus far. IDK if we'll ever see someone like him again. If we do, it certainly won't be for a long time. Peyton Manning is the type of QB you tell your grandchildren about. He's absolutely an all-time great.

Back
Top Bottom