Is the Cantonese language dying?

Originally Posted by MC OTAKU

Originally Posted by the north west

I am probably the only person on here that speaks Teochew

your gramps or fam part teochew? i kno the majority of chinese in SEAsia are Teochew who migrated down to Lao, Vietnam or Thailand and mix with the natives. I think BKK got a district thats has a huge Teochew community.
grandparents on both sides of my family immigrated from China to Thailand

and it seems like the only Chinese I hear in Thailand is Teochew

Originally Posted by nicedudewithnicedreams

Originally Posted by BgL2687

Originally Posted by nicedudewithnicedreams

Originally Posted by Koopa2410

mandarin > cantonese.

anyday.
no thanks.
laugh.gif
have you noticed people that strictly speak mandarin hate and look down on people that speak cantonese? Maybe its just the people I've met around south bay san jose area(mainly mandarin speakers). They always say cantonese is rude. Just like how thai people say lao language is rude, buts its similar has hell.
Yeah for the most part. Not sure about the rude part, but I have to say most Canto people talk really loud.
I feel like all Asian languages are really loud
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by MC OTAKU

I am probably the only person on here that speaks Teochew

your gramps or fam part teochew? i kno the majority of chinese in SEAsia are Teochew who migrated down to Lao, Vietnam or Thailand and mix with the natives. I think BKK got a district thats has a huge Teochew community.
grandparents on both sides of my family immigrated from China to Thailand

and it seems like the only Chinese I hear in Thailand is Teochew

i can understand teochew wai ..

anyone else here WAH Q?
happy.gif

I agree with whoever said Cantonese will never really die out. HK is too major of a city and Guangzhou as a province is pretty large too. As long as HK isaround, Cantonese will survive.

canto> mandarin all day. im having a hard time learning mandarin. my professor said that canto speakers will have a harder time learning mandarin because ofthe sounds and what not compared to english speakers

Originally Posted by andycrazn

canto> mandarin all day. im having a hard time learning mandarin. my professor said that canto speakers will have a harder time learning mandarin because of the sounds and what not compared to english speakers

I think for Canto speakers, cuz they're used to how certain words sound in Canto, they might tend to blend it into Mand. While, for native Englishspeakers, they're starting from scratch. Together with the use of Pinyin, its relatively easier for them to pick it up.

im not chinese but i prefer the sound of cantonese.
cant stand the harsh R's in mandarin.

being mando, i feel like a majority of chinese speak canto, esp in bigger cities (SF, LA, Etc...)

so no, i do not think it is dying.

Originally Posted by i3allistic

Originally Posted by rtask

im not chinese but i prefer the sound of cantonese.
cant stand the harsh R's in mandarin.
word, they always sound angry too me ...
laugh.gif
Wenzhouhau sounds even more angrier. You rarely hear Wenzhouhau but there is a good population of Wenzhou people in the West LA area.

^^^ finally got it right, its not tosian, its taishan and i also visited there like 4 yrs ago. It all village there and our language is way more rough thencantonese and mandarin. But taishan people are everywhere in New York. However, lately i have been hearing some mandarin people around my neighborhood inBrooklyn,bensonhurst. FJ are taking over 8 AVE!!!!

Originally Posted by scribble253

lol damn there 's a lot of cantonese and toisan NT'ers. El NAT GAH MAH GAH HAI

I pronounce it "ew neck gah ma gah hai".

last time i went to taishan was in 2002. a lot of rural areas but the actual city is decent, bigger than seattle.

Originally Posted by Seattle206

last time i went to taishan was in 2002. a lot of rural areas but the actual city is decent, bigger than seattle.
That's not Cantonese is it? I'm Cantonese and I couldn't understand any of it
laugh.gif

my girlfriend speaks teochow, chiu chow, whatever its called. its pretty useless anytime we go somewhere where theres a bunch of chinese folk.

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

Originally Posted by Seattle206

That's not Cantonese is it? I'm Cantonese and I couldn't understand any of it
laugh.gif
it's toishan/taishan or however it's spelled

laugh.gif

Boys Noize - I was trying to figure it out as well.

By the way, where are the Hong Kong Niketalkers at? I know bib10, i2icky &sinnerP are from Hong Kong but there has to be more?

ABC here and CANTO SPEAKER.

It is definitely a trend as other have said for the simple reason that more CHINESE are coming to USA. Period. It not the language is dying per se...its moreMandarin speakers are immigrating here. Think the super rich Chinese and Taiwanese and their kids.

Also like others have said...HK and southern China is still Cantonese. People that have taken a basic ASAM class will know the first Chinese to come to USwere Canto speakers. Simply a geographic reason. The southern Chinese were the easiest to get on a boat to come to America. So for hundreds of years most toall Chiense that were here in NYC, SF etc etc..all Canto. Since China has made Mandarin the official language, if you want to do any business or go to collegeyou have to speak Mandarin.

Lastly to correct one thing said in a previous post about "unifying" and "communicating" with all of China we do that with our WRITTENLANGUAGE. You can be from Northern, Western Central or wherever in China and the basic written language is the same. That was the only way to communicatewith all the different dialects. Similar to how LATIN countries all mostly speak spanish. You can be in Mexico, Chilie, Ecuador etc etc..even Spain andPortuguese..if you speak Spanish you can kinda get by. With China..it is with the written language. A mandarin speaker can go to a village and at the veryleast WRITE DOWN what he wants to communicate and it could be understood, assuming the person can read and write...which is a whole different topic.

I love HK..I am going there later this year to see my homies out there!

Back
Top Bottom