Learning To Drive A Stick Shift Unnapreciation.

Originally Posted by Flaming Hot Cheetos

Originally Posted by hellaones

my brother has been trying to teach me but I'm lazy and it seems like too much work
I hope you, and everyone else that is complaining about learning to drive a manual is a woman
roll.gif

Impossible to drive stick in SF? Please
seriously, its not hard, just takes practice to get better.
i dont see how a man doesnt know how to drive stick, you dont get the full experience of driving on an auto.

Originally Posted by DRJordanFreak88

my car still had the original clutch in it and it still grabbed good. releases really high

What does this mean?

Took me 3 weeks to perfect it. First day was terrible. Almost ruined my stepdads S2K.

my brother has been trying to teach me but I'm lazy and it seems like too much work
I hope you, and everyone else that is complaining about learning to drive a manual is a woman
roll.gif

Nope, how am I gone get my lean on while worrying about switching gears and clutchin and $#%*. I'm good.

Originally Posted by vrp32tl

roll.gif

Less talk more pics of your new girlfriend @ this moment. LOLZ.

Driving stick in SF is cake. People making it seem like its damn near impossible.

laugh.gif

But yea people making excuses for simple things FTL. Trying to rationalize their failure
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Pushak513

I tried to teach my Ex how to drive one..it ended in a fight which has now led to a break up.. I think imma get a auto from now on

that's just all kinds of stupid right there.

There was alot more to it..me putting her in the back seat and rivin all nutty on a one lane road..
ohwell.gif
learning to drive a stick just kinda put it in motion

I only stalled once when I was first learning to drive, but it was frustrating remembering which gears to drop it to when downshifting.

its easy once u finally learn how 2 do it but tha first time i was like idk why i bout my first car in stick now tha only thing i hate bout it is when ur stuckin stop and go traffic
smh.gif

i learned to drive stick on some old beat up pickup truck that had no mercy at all. every time i drove up a hill with cars behind me, i'd sweat bulletsthinking the car would stall and roll back. it was damn scary lol. on my first day, i probably stalled at every stop sign revving like crazy trying to find thesweet spot on the clutch.

laugh.gif

the first time i gave the hills a go, i was a bit paranoid. any hill with a stop sign/light scared me
roll.gif

it's all a cakewalk now.

Originally Posted by jdi23

I only stalled once when I was first learning to drive, but it was frustrating remembering which gears to drop it to when downshifting.
i dont even downshift most tha time i just put it in neutral and hit tha brakes if need be or vice versa idk if thats good or bad excuse myignorance if its bad 2 do that

roll.gif

Nope, how am I gone get my lean on while worrying about switching gears and clutchin and $#%*. I'm good.

First you were too lazy to learn, and now it's cuz you want to have a gangsta lean? Kids these days
laugh.gif

And if you cant teach yourself to move your ARMS and LEGS in harmony to drive stick then ya, stick to an auto LOL.

Originally Posted by StillIn729

I taught myself in like 2 hours, it is easy

I bought my Mustang without really knowing how to drive stick. The dealer who sold it to me taught me how before the test drive, simply just showed me in the lot and then I drove off for the test drive.
laugh.gif

I test drove it, and then brought that bad boy home. Easy Peasy.
sweeeet
pimp.gif

it was easy bro. just have some confidence haha

Originally Posted by Aze201

Originally Posted by DRJordanFreak88

my car still had the original clutch in it and it still grabbed good. releases really high

What does this mean?

This is how your car moves forward: Engine combusion-->crankshaft rotation-->flywheel converts crankshaft rotation to torque-->flywheel is attatchedto torque converter(automatic trans) or clutch disc (standard transmission)-->torque transfers thru transmission+gear ratios-->then thru driveshaft todrive axles-->drive axles to wheels.

When you have the car in gear and you're accelerating, the clutch disc is clamped onto the flywheel, and the clutch disc is connected to the transmission,thus sending the engine power (torque) thru the transmission and to the drive wheels.

When you step on the clutch pedal, it disengages the clutch disc from the flywheel so you can change gears without straining the transmission. When the clutchdisc and flywheel are in good condition, you'll be able to slip the clutch (slowly let out the clutch pedal) more easily because the clutch disc surfacehas plenty of "meat" on it for clamping force, similar to a brake pad on a rotor. Similarily to a brake pad, the clutch disc has grooves and a roughsurface for clamping power (more friction, helps to clamp disc onto flywheel.)

When the clutch disc surface is worn down and smooth, its gonna be harder to slip the clutch and going into gears is gonna be a little bit rougher/abrupt sincethere's less friction for the disc and flywheel to come together. Same thing for the flywheel: if the surface is overheated, it doesn't take toclamping very well...it becomes slick and tougher to clamp onto. This gives you a smaller amount of pedal travel to engage/disengage the clutch. Both surfacesare likely worn down, so gear changes are a little more abrupt. Since both surfaces aren't at optimal condition for clamping, the disc WILL eventuallyclamp, but at the end of the clutch pedal travel when you're letting it out, thus the clutch releasing at a higher position of travel. In my first post,grabbing=clamping.

You'll know when you're driving a car with a bad clutch when it's difficult to slip the clutch or find the clamping/engagement point, or at higherrpms the car slips out of gear intermittently because the clutch disc momentarily unclamps from the flywheel without you even stepping on the pedal.

I almost gave up at first because it was so frustrating, but now I'm pretty good at it.

Originally Posted by stacksblowinpurp

Originally Posted by jdi23

i dont even downshift most tha time i just put it in neutral and hit tha brakes if need be or vice versa idk if thats good or bad excuse my ignorance if its bad 2 do that
you should learn a proper rev-matching downshift. it's safer, and more fun
pimp.gif

learning to "drive" stick is easy. mastering it takes a while. if you can't rev match and heel toe, take the time to learn it. bonus pointsfor knowing how to double clutch

its easy ..my first car was manual...and yea i live in dallas, tx and i drive it during traffic ....trust me its easy but during traffic it gets annoying andirritating.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
driving a stick in SF is easy....but of course when ur a noob its gonna be scary driving up the hill of SF

I first learn how to drive with a stick shift sooo.... shifting and stepping on the clutch comes natural now...u wouldn't have to think about it ...and yesu can still get ur gangsta lean on at the same time if that important too yall kids...

driving stick makes driving more fun. i hate driving with automatic. it gets boring mad fast. stick saves a lot of gas too! and it keeps the rest of yourfamily driving your car if they dont know stick hahaha but other than that stick shift is a lot better then automatic. if your gonna learn, learn on an integraor honda civic or a car with a really soft clutch to get used to it. i learned on my friends 08 civic si and it was like a toy. i now drive an 02 wrx and thehard clutch sometimes annoys me but its whatever

Originally Posted by Parker Peterson

Honda's are generally easier for beginners, cus you could feel the clutch a little better. IMO.

This to me is so true. VW's are easy too. IMO .
I learned how to drive a stick at work, I use to stall like crazy. I burnt a clutch on a Toyota yaris at work too.
ohwell.gif

But I'm getting better at it. The only problem is driving in a stop and go traffic.

Back
Top Bottom