Learning To Drive A Stick Shift Unnapreciation.

i dont get it. is it the stalling that causes the clutch to burn up? wouldnt it be more harm on transmission rather than the clutch? i dont really get how newdrivers burn up clutches

Originally Posted by StillIn729

I taught myself in like 2 hours, it is easy

+1

youre going to burn the clutch but they easiest way I learned was by letting go of the clutch little by little while keeping it a 3k

once you learn how to drive manual...everything else would be easier...when i first started i use to look down and make sure im shifting to the right #..nowits easy and i just be peeling out almost everyday ..like homeboy said its fun and it really does keeps your family memebers from driving it if they dont knowhow to drive manuel..

Practice practice practice....And also having a good teacher by your side helping you out and not making you nervous.

I regret buying a stick, I sure do miss loungin while I drive....Especially at night.

it aint even that hard cuz

just feel for the clutch and give it some gas. should know it like the back of your hand in no time

I learned how to drive a stick by getting a valet job.

I remember I rolled back once and and hit a parked car behind me. We never told the guest though lol.

i died out twice before getting the hang of it. learned it in like 10-15 minutes.

it really is easy, just some people over think it and make it harder on themselves..

once you learn first gear, the rest is history
pimp.gif

Thread reminds me to get a auto-manual swap. One day I guess... still gotta learn though.

Driving on the 405 would be a %*@%# though.

Originally Posted by Sputnik

Originally Posted by Flaming Hot Cheetos

Originally Posted by hellaones

my brother has been trying to teach me but I'm lazy and it seems like too much work
I hope you, and everyone else that is complaining about learning to drive a manual is a woman
roll.gif

Impossible to drive stick in SF? Please
seriously, its not hard, just takes practice to get better.
i dont see how a man doesnt know how to drive stick, you dont get the full experience of driving on an auto.
you keep on thinking your doing it with your paddle shifters perhaps one day you will be doing it

tried once ina, little toyota truck, no power steering, man i stalled out so many times, pops told me to get in the passanger cuz i was f'in up his clutch
laugh.gif

i still cant drive stik
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by filipin0y

i dont get it. is it the stalling that causes the clutch to burn up? wouldnt it be more harm on transmission rather than the clutch? i dont really get how new drivers burn up clutches

the stalling isn't the problem. giving the car too much gas while the clutch is still partially engaged is what causes it to burn the clutch.

you can feel where the clutch engages/disengages. beginners are usually so afraid of stalling, they will give it too much gas while letting out the clutch.

if you pay attention, you'll notice the smell of your clutch burning after doing this.

Originally Posted by osubass1

if you pay attention, you'll notice the smell of your clutch burning after doing this.
Tell me about it... when I first learned, I was at a stop sign... when it was my turn to go, I put it into gear and slowly let my clutch out,while gradually pushing down on the throttle... *stall*... I did the same thing again and *stall*... after stalling for the 4th time, I started smelling theclutch... it was frustrating too cuz I felt I had got the 'bite' point down, but still didn't know why I kept stalling... I look down at the gearstick and it was then that I realized I was in 3rd, not 1st... *note to self ~ never start in 3rd gear*...

Anyway, to the OP... its not hard generally speaking. The concept is relatively straight-forward... the 'hard' part is to be smooth whenstarting/changing gears. But once you get the feel for the bite-point of your clutch, it becomes pretty 'second-nature'...

Not that hard... I actually bought my car not knowing (fully) how to drive stick. Plus, I had to drive it 250+ miles home.

Stalled a few times, but learned in less than a day.

I learned over here in Italy.

Once you have a general idea of the mechanics of it all you have to throw yourself into traffic and go from there. You're either going to suprise yourselfand maneuver better than you thought you could or you're going to cause an accident and get some people hurt. Hopefully it's not the latter. I'mnever going back to automatics!

My dad tried to teach me how to drive a manual a few years ago. It was a nightmare. I stalled so many times!!

grrr
devil.gif

I learned from friends on their older Hondas...I understood much better after learning to ride a motorcycle.

Back
Top Bottom