Nike Zoom Vaporfly Elite 2017

Just a heads up for whom ever ordered from Undftd. Just got the Email confirmation of shipment. Thanks to whoever put that link up.
Just got my shipping confirmation as well. There are also a couple sizes of the SP on NDC right now.

If you want to develop a midfoot to forefoot strike, Newtons are the ideal shoe, specifically the Distance (or Gravity if you need more support). They have lugs right under the forefoot, which are like "training wheels" if you think about it lol.

Yeah, I think it'd be best for me to develop the correct form first with some "training wheels" before I really dive into these shoes, or something similar like the Zoom Elites. I'll look into the Newtons for sure, but I'm pretty sure that I may likely not go with the Zoom Flys regardless, because Lunar is just too soft for my needs of impact protection.

nice quick review us3less, not sure if you've mentioned it before but have you tried LunarEpics?

Thanks! I have tried it, and that shoe had my knee hurting, too. Way too soft, felt like I used way more effort to run, and with my natural heel-striking stride, it was hurting me more.

was wondering if the irritation on your knee is due to lunarlon not being able to provide enough impact protection or is it something else about it? because I do experience the same thing with lunar at times (more so when I'm playing basketball than running).

Two factors: I've had previous knee injuries (all on my left) and Lunar is too soft for the amount of impact protection I need. When we think about it, Lunar is really just soft foam that's built to soften the impact, but it doesn't protect it as much. Zoom Air (or the new-gen Air Max like the VaporMax) can take that impact and convert it into energy return, so the body doesn't use more force to push off and move forward. I've played in the Lunar Hyperdunk 2012s and the Kobe 8s, and I remember the Kobe 8s burned the **** out of my knee. Had to stop after 2 games when I could usually go up to 5 games with other basketball shoes with Zoom Air.

I ran 10 miles in my Zoom flys this morning. The lunar in them really doesn't feel like normal lunar. It's much more firm and feels more like Zoom. Very fast and responsive cushioning, no sink in. They seem to work perfectly with my stride.

Are these only online and at running stores? If anyone knows of a place in Houston that got them, I'm interested.

Worst case scenario, I'll just have to order them and possibly return :frown:

Are these only online and at running stores? If anyone knows of a place in Houston that got them, I'm interested.

Worst case scenario, I'll just have to order them and possibly return
frown.gif
nike has the best return policy for this stuff. you can even wear them and still return them if you dont like them.

I missed out on the blue fox colorway on NDC and RW. Are they still available anywhere?

Last edited:
I learned in my biomechanics class that forefoot/midfoot strike drives less force to your knee but more to your achilles. Heel striking has more force to the knee but less to the achilles but there's research that the achilles can adapt better to the increased forces compared to the knee taking all the force from the heel striking. So maybe forefoot/midfoot strike might alleviate your pain if you're a heel striker and if so these shoes might actually help you alleviate it compared to others. Obviously everyone is different so you might have other things contributing to the knee pain but that's what I learned.

Also, if anyone desperately wants the Nikelab zoom fly's the Japanese Nike site has sizes smaller than a size 7. But I guess ebay would be better

So I was able to pick up the Zoom Fly in the Blue Fox color, and I gave it a 5K try to see how it is. Just remember that this is my personal experience, and this will differ with many others' experiences. I'm not going to make it a full review like I did with the VaporMax, but I will keep it short and honest.

Unfortunately for me, Lunar cushioning has always bothered my knee, and this shoe is no different. The shoe's rocker motion did have me readjust my landing from heel to forefoot for a good majority of the run (and I had to keep thinking about how I landed), and it helped limited the amount of pain that I would normally deal with... but any time I have to keep stopping during my run to give my knee a break multiple times, it's one bad sign that a bad run was about to happen. Maybe it's just 'cause I ran in the evening when I wanted to run in the morning... maybe it was me just being frustrated from other things, but it just wasn't a good run.

On the better side of things, the cushion's pretty good, and it softens up over a short amount of running time. For those who are heel strikers, it's DEFINITELY going to be a shoe that'll take time to readjust your stride to; I know that was the case for me. I feel that with the carbon-infused nylon plate, there's quite an amount of support provided there although it may still be beneficial for neutral runners and those who supinate/pronate to a small degree. The Flymesh material feels really nice; I actually like it a lot. It's thin yet supportive, and the breathability is there.

Ultimately, this shoe is definitely built for those who are working on training for a marathon, 'cause that plate just keeps you geared in specifically on getting PRs. At the end of the day, I don't know if I'm willing to give it a second shot simply because I don't want to deal with the same familiar pain that I've already dealt with whenever I run (or play basketball) in anything Lunar. This is also a dramatic change for me to try a shoe like this from the VaporMax, a shoe where its cushioning has benefited me very well.
Forgot to quote you on my last post

I learned in my biomechanics class that forefoot/midfoot strike drives less force to your knee but more to your achilles. Heel striking has more force to the knee but less to the achilles but there's research that the achilles can adapt better to the increased forces compared to the knee taking all the force from the heel striking. So maybe forefoot/midfoot strike might alleviate your pain if you're a heel striker and if so these shoes might actually help you alleviate it compared to others. Obviously everyone is different so you might have other things contributing to the knee pain but that's what I learned.

Also, if anyone desperately wants the Nikelab zoom fly's the Japanese Nike site has sizes smaller than a size 7. But I guess ebay would be better

Yep, you're definitely right on all of that. Landing on the heels is a direct force upwards towards the body, and the first part of the body to receive that upward force after landing is the knees. When you land on the forefoot or midfoot, the first part would be around the Achilles, because it's more of a stopping force rather than a landing force. Plus, you can strengthen muscles and tendons for impact, but you can't strengthen bones for impact. I've felt the differences, because I used to be a heavy heel striker, and by midway of a 3-miler, I'd start to feel a bit of pain on my hip/lower back area. I then looked up on forefoot striking and although I can't fully convert to it 100%, I've modified my stride and it changed everything.

Anyway, apologies to everyone about the lecture part, but it does play a part in the Zoom Flys and how it did limit my pain like nikeman88 mentioned. Although I felt that bit of pain, it wasn't really close to the burning level of pain like it did with other Lunar shoes. It's practically inevitable for me, but any Air-cushioned running shoe has kept any pain to a very low degree. For the majority of the time, there's no pain by the end of the run with Air-cushioned shoes. A bit for soreness, but no pain.

Yep, you're definitely right on all of that. Landing on the heels is a direct force upwards towards the body, and the first part of the body to receive that upward force after landing is the knees. When you land on the forefoot or midfoot, the first part would be around the Achilles, because it's more of a stopping force rather than a landing force. Plus, you can strengthen muscles and tendons for impact, but you can't strengthen bones for impact. I've felt the differences, because I used to be a heavy heel striker, and by midway of a 3-miler, I'd start to feel a bit of pain on my hip/lower back area. I then looked up on forefoot striking and although I can't fully convert to it 100%, I've modified my stride and it changed everything.

Anyway, apologies to everyone about the lecture part, but it does play a part in the Zoom Flys and how it did limit my pain like nikeman88 mentioned. Although I felt that bit of pain, it wasn't really close to the burning level of pain like it did with other Lunar shoes. It's practically inevitable for me, but any Air-cushioned running shoe has kept any pain to a very low degree. For the majority of the time, there's no pain by the end of the run with Air-cushioned shoes. A bit for soreness, but no pain.
You mentioned that you liked zoom air but maybe you might like the vaporfly 4%'s because it's not just a mushy feeling but has some rebound. Hopefully they release soon

You mentioned that you liked zoom air but maybe you might like the vaporfly 4%'s because it's not just a mushy feeling but has some rebound. Hopefully they release soon

Yeah, I could go for the VaporFly 4%, but in all honesty... I'm not really a competitive runner. I'm not a serious runner either; I just take running serious for mental, physical, and emotional health benefits... unless what I just said makes me a serious runner, haha. The Zoom Flys and VaporFly 4% shoes are definitely geared for those who are training for races and running races, and for me... I just want to run. I'll definitely give it a try-on just to see how it feels, but I highly doubt I will buy it.

Yeah, I could go for the VaporFly 4%, but in all honesty... I'm not really a competitive runner. I'm not a serious runner either; I just take running serious for mental, physical, and emotional health benefits... unless what I just said makes me a serious runner, haha. The Zoom Flys and VaporFly 4% shoes are definitely geared for those who are training for races and running races, and for me... I just want to run. I'll definitely give it a try-on just to see how it feels, but I highly doubt I will buy it.
It looks and is supposed to propel you forward and make you fast so people say that it's geared for those who are training for races, but honestly I think it would also help with injury prevention as well due to it's stack height and may be a good shoe to look into. In your case it might actually help out, and it's not like people can tell the difference between the vaporfly and the zoomfly without looking at it for a couple seconds, so people can't really give you crap about it. I'm definitely buying the zoom fly and the vaporfly and I've already bought the pegasus in the breaking2 color. Now I'm gonna have to borrow money from a friend now haha

no sign of fk version right now, it'll probably bump the price to $180 for the Zoom Fly's and $300 for the 4%'s if there's FK but I think it might come in the 2nd or 3rd gen to be used as an improvement the previous

I mean I have been waiting for FK version of pegasus, vomeros, etc... and looks like they're not even near to considering it

I'll wait to get my money right to cop the zoom flys

Was hoping they would be on footsites for I have a $20 off :lol:

Nike ZoomX Matumbo 4% prototype. Used by Galen Rupp and Shalane Flanagan during the 10,000-meters at Portland Track Festival, both came 1st. Galen Rupp also used a prototype of this shoe during the 10000 meters final at Rio 2016. 

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom