Niketalk what is the difference between Polo and U.S. Polo Association

Ive never owned a USPA shirt (humble brag??) but ive owned the same RL polo's for an extremely long time.  I still good looking polo's from 5 years ago that i still wear.  So i don't know how people can knock RL quality.
But that being said i always buy RL from the outlet.  I refuse to pay $60 for a shirt.  At outlets they are $40 or less.  So I get my 30% off coupon in my email and make a trip.  

Also girls do know the difference at least ones i know.  Women know fashion, and a lot of them are super materialistic so they know the difference.  But this day and age so much more goes into it.  I would rather cop a good fitting polo from Old Navy (i own some) that has no emblem or anything on it then cop a "fake" RL shirt.  

Lol my girls little cousin came up to me to show me his new hat, which was USPA, but he had his mind set that it was PRL.  Didnt have the courage to tell the little guy it wasnt
laugh.gif

OP was probably outside wearing a South Pole down jacket and some Birdman Lugz Occupying OKC.

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

Yea man I don't know why dudes hatin, y'all probably wanna hate on SouthPole too. Believers, pray for me they have some XXXLs in stock, preferably 2XLT's, wonder if I can call ahead and have them hold them for me.
TROLLOLOLOLOL

Originally Posted by TylerrS99

Lol my girls little cousin came up to me to show me his new hat, which was USPA, but he had his mind set that it was PRL.  Didnt have the courage to tell the little guy it wasnt
laugh.gif

I don't understand this. He saw the hat. He liked it. He even bought it. But the fact that it says USPA on it he won't wear it. So now what's the difference? 2 letters. If he liked it the first time, he should still wear it.

If I lived in Oklahoma I would do the same thing OP...Living in NYC people judge you off how you dress but if I lived in a less materialitic place I would go the same route your going.  Props.

Originally Posted by AstroBlac

Originally Posted by TylerrS99

laugh.gif

I don't understand this. He saw the hat. He liked it. He even bought it. But the fact that it says USPA on it he won't wear it. So now what's the difference? 2 letters. If he liked it the first time, he should still wear it.

the little dude bought it cuz he thought it.was Ralph Lauren... pretty sure he's black with older black parents ... amirite?

Originally Posted by Addict4Sneakers

$60 to $70 !@#% ^*)$) beat it

Damn it I came in here to post the exact same thing
laugh.gif

The difference is that one company (US polo association) only exists because of the originator (Ralph Lauren). Plus, there is a difference is quality.

If USPA was around 49 yrs before Ralph Lauren was born, how could they be the ones copying. They existed 77 yrs longer. Reality > Hype

Originally Posted by steven42lh

laugh.gif

The difference is that one company (US polo association) only exists because of the originator (Ralph Lauren). Plus, there is a difference is quality.
wasn't it established on the same page that uspa was created in 1890 and RL was created in 1967? 
roll.gif
roll.gif

i had always thought they were the same brand, but like a different tier...to the more you know

Originally Posted by ggarvinXX3

Originally Posted by steven42lh

laugh.gif

wasn't it established on the same page that uspa was created in 1890 and RL was created in 1967? 
roll.gif
roll.gif

While the actual US Polo association has been around since 1890, they only started making clothing in 1981, after Ralph Lauren Polo had taken off.

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

If USPA was around 49 yrs before Ralph Lauren was born, how could they be the ones copying. They existed 77 yrs longer. Reality > Hype
wikipedia fail

reading comprehension is key -

the USPA as an association was around - but they werent making big pony polos for retail sale...the USPA licensed out the name for use clothing i think stating in the 80s

they been going back and forth with RL in lawsuits for years...RL won one of the first cases of infringement against them cause they were straight ripping off his designs

edit- dude beat me to it^

heres some more info tho

USPA as we know it today is a product of JORDACHE...since 1999
http://www.jordachecorporate.com/2012/uspa.shtml

here's info pulled from the case files:

Plaintiff PRL designs, markets, and distributes apparel, home furnishings, fragrances, and accessories under the name Ralph Lauren. It frequently employs as a trademark the polo player symbol, which has appeared on Ralph Lauren clothing since 1972.

Defendant USPA, founded in 1890, is the governing body of the sport of polo in the United States.   The USPA promulgates the rules of the sport, sponsors tournaments, and assigns handicaps.   Through its wholly-owned subsidiary, United States Polo Association Properties, Inc., the USPA registers trademarks and licenses them to be used for the sale of products.   Since 1998, United States Polo Association Properties, Inc., has licensed the right to produce clothing bearing the USPA's trademarks to Jordache, a manufacturer of clothing.

PRL and the USPA have been in conflict since the 1980s, when the USPA first entered the retail clothing business.   As the USPA admits, in the early 1980s it acted irresponsibly in licensing its logos.   As a result, in 1984 PRL obtained a judgment in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York (Sand, J.) enjoining the USPA from the use of certain marks that infringed PRL's trademarks.   The judgment made clear, however, that the USPA remained free to “conduct[ ] a retail licensing program utilizing ․ a mounted polo player or equestrian or equine symbol which is distinctive from the [Ralph Lauren] polo player symbol ․

Who cares...wear what you like/want to spend on.

Guys caring about what other guys wear = typical NT

Ralph Lauren looks better and has better quality. USPA is a BLATANT rip off of RL but dude is caking off copying RL designs....clothes are overpriced but I mean if anyone is stupid enough to buy RL clothing at full price then that's on them...I laugh when I see $75 for a simple polo shirt at the mall

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

It's funny how little respect Chaps gets even tho it's made by RL too.
Chaps is no different than Lauren from Ralph Lauren. It's licensed out and it's garbage due to the company holding the license.

Yes its shallow, but thats the world we live in. RL is the STANDARD and USPA is clearly below that standard. 
Rockin USPA has almost become social suicide. I sure as hell am not gettin caught in the same aisle in the store with them 
laugh.gif

USPA knocks off RL designs. I dnt know about ya, but i dnt need like 3 jockeys on one horse, wavin flags and %^&# 
roll.gif

To all the arguments about the quality being the same, have you ever felt the material of their mesh polos? RL is smooth whereas USPA is like cardboard. Those shirts are rough and feel like they'd make your nipples bleed

Back
Top Bottom