NT Runners and Running Gear Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might try to do some early morning running this week. My life sucks right now and need some running therapy.

Last pair at Macys, from $150 to $50 (plus I had gift cards from XMas). Lightweight and great cushioning. Also i got to say, there just isn't any shoes out there that is as breathable and ventilated as the flyknit uppers, just makes the shoes light and makes it feel like I am not wearing any shoes once the breeze passes through it.

2zswkg0.jpg

2cp47eg.jpg

What are my flat footed runners wearing? I pretty much have no arch in my feet

Personally, I have 0 arches. I got right knee problems. I used to run 7 minute miles (which isn't fast). I remember running in air maxes or whatever. I wish I knew then what I know now, lol.

I run now in Kayano 21s and Brook Beasts. I'm going to invest in the Brooks Beast 14. Seemed to get positive reviews. Heavy though u like those Flyknits up there. I wish Nike would flyknit something with amazing arch support.

Even though it does not have a flyknit upper, maybe you should check out the Lunarglide 6, the open mesh x fuse might be the next best thing when it comes to Nikes in terms of ventilation/breathability. Not as light though, it's about an ounce heavier, but worth a try.

I was also recently advised to try the Adidas Supernova Sequence 7 Boosts, did some research on it and only heard good things about it and It is in the same vein as the Kayanos and Beasts so i think it might just work for you.

Last pair at Macys, from $150 to $50 (plus I had gift cards from XMas). Lightweight and great cushioning. Also i got to say, there just isn't any shoes out there that is as breathable and ventilated as the flyknit uppers, just makes the shoes light and makes it feel like I am not wearing any shoes once the breeze passes through it.

Try the LR3, bro! :tongue:

Definitely read reviews and how the shoe would apply to your foot type.

The Beasts are like a Cadillac Escalade whereas the Kayano are a more light weight more no frills SUV. Both are great for support though.

I've also heard decent reviews of that Adidas model.

Last edited:
Definitely read reviews and how the shoe would apply to your foot type.

The Beasts are like a Cadillac Escalade whereas the Kayano are a more light weight more no frills SUV. Both are great for support though.

I've also heard decent reviews of that Adidas model.

Listen to this man...Also. go get your gait analyzed at a specialty running store to figure exactly what kind of runner you are. Then buy shoes accordingly.

I'm a flat footed slight to moderate overpronator and my last pair of kicks were Mizuno Wave Paradox's and they were really good. Currently breaking in a pair of Asics Nimbus' and searching for an alternating pair of kicks to wear for running

I use Pegasus 30 and I like em a lot. Went to Nike and tried on the Pegasus 31 and they are a lot more responsive. I'll probably wear out my kicks til the summer and grab the new Pegasus 32.

Are they more ventilated? I've never owned one and only tried them on, not a chance to run to experience how it really is. Really got to stop procrastinating and grab a pair already. :lol:

Are they out yet?

It's Nike Lunar Racer 3 and they have been out for maybe a year or two now? They are often on sale too, Finishline probably has a few, check them out. One of the lightest shoes I've ever tried on (if not the lightest).

Oh, I've read nothing but great things. But not sure how it would affect my knee issues.

Like I said support = Beast/Kayano, weight = FK Lunar. Never going to happen, lol.

Here's a good guide that maybe the OP could put in the first post?

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/running-shoes.html

Running Shoes: How to Choose

Most running shoes feel comfortable when you're standing in a shoe store, but the true test comes several miles into your run. You'll soon realize that the ideal shoe has more to do with your running style and the shape of your foot than it does with the logo stitched on the side.

In general, a pair of running shoes should last between 400 to 500 miles of running (3 or 4 months for regular runners). Take a look at your shoes and check if the midsoles and outsoles are compressed or worn. If they are, it may be time for a new pair.

Running Shoe Categories

Road-running shoes are designed for pavement and occasional forays onto packed surfaces with slight irregularities. Light and flexible, they're made to cushion or stabilize feet during repetitive strides on hard, even surfaces.

Trail-running shoes are designed for off-road routes with rocks, mud, roots or other obstacles. They are enhanced with aggressive tread for solid traction and fortified to offer stability, support and underfoot protection.

Cross-training shoes are designed for gym or Crossfit workouts or any balance activity where having more contact with the ground is preferred over a thick platform sole.

How Do You Run?

If you own a well-used pair of running shoes, check the wear pattern on the soles to help determine your running mechanics.

View media item 1360170
Pronation shows a wear pattern centralized to the ball of the foot and a small portion of the heel. It is the foot's natural inward roll following the heel striking the ground.

Basic (neutral) pronation helps absorb impact, relieving pressure on knees and joints. It is a normal trait of neutral, biomechanically efficient runners.

Overpronation is identified by wear patterns along the inside edge of your shoe, and is an exaggerated form of the foot's natural inward roll.

Overpronation is a common trait that affects the majority of runners, leaving them at risk of knee pain and injury. Overpronators need stability or motion control shoes.

Supination (also called under-pronation) is marked by wear along the outer edge of your shoe. It is an outward rolling of the foot resulting in insufficient impact reduction at landing.

Relatively few runners supinate, but those who do need shoes with plenty of cushioning and flexibility.

Barefoot/minimalist running: In traditional running shoes, feet tend to hit the ground heel first. This is because a shoe heel has an elevated cushion. With barefoot runners, it is the mid-foot or forefoot that strikes the ground first.

Types of Running Shoes

Cushioning shoes: Best for mild pronators, supinators or neutral runners for off-pavement runs. Provide increased shock absorption and some medial (arch-side) support.

Some super-cushioned shoes provide as much as 50% more cushioning than traditional shoes for even greater shock absorption and stability.

Stability shoes: Good for neutral runners or those who exhibit mild to moderate overpronation. They often include a firm "post” to reinforce the arch side of each midsole, an area highly impacted by overpronation.

Motion control shoes: Best for runners who exhibit moderate to severe overpronation. Offer features such as stiffer heels or a design built on straighter lasts to counter overpronation.

Barefoot shoes: Soles provide the bare minimum in protection from potential hazards on the ground. Many have no cushion in the heel pad and a very thin layer—as little as 3–4mm—of shoe between your skin and the ground.

All barefoot shoes feature a “zero drop” from heel to toe. (“Drop” is the difference between the height of the heel and the height of the toe.) This encourages a mid-foot or forefoot strike. Traditional running shoes, by contrast, feature a 10–12mm drop from the heel to the toe, which encourages heel striking.

Minimalist shoes: These feature extremely lightweight construction, little to no arch support and a heel drop of about 4–8mm to encourage a natural running motion and a midfoot strike, yet still offer cushioning and flex.

Some minimalist styles may offer stability posting to help the overpronating runner transition to a barefoot running motion.

Running Shoe Features

Running Shoe Uppers

-Synthetic leather is a supple, durable, abrasion-resistant material derived principally from nylon and polyester. It's lighter, quicker drying and more breathable than real leather. Plus, it requires no (or very little) break-in time.

-Nylon and nylon mesh are durable materials most commonly used to reduce weight and boost breathability.

-TPU (thermoplastic urethane) overlays are positioned over the breathable shoe panels (such as in the arch and the heel). These small, abrasion-resisting additions help enhance stability and durability.

-Waterproof/breathable uppers use a membrane bonded to the interior of the linings. This membrane blocks moisture from entering while allowing feet to breathe. Shoes with these membranes keep feet dry in wet environments with a slight trade-off in breathability.

Running Shoe Midsoles
The midsole is the cushioning and stability layer between the upper and the outsole.

-EVA (ethylene vinyl acetate) is a type of foam commonly used for running-shoe midsoles. Cushioning shoes often use a single layer of EVA. Some will insert multiple densities of EVA to force a particular flex pattern.

-Posts are areas of firmer EVA (dual-density, quad-density, multi-density, compression-molded) added to create harder-to-compress sections in the midsole. Often found in stability shoes, posts are used to decelerate pronation or boost durability. Medial posts reinforce the arch side of each midsole, an area highly impacted by overpronation.

-Plates are made of thin, somewhat flexible material (often nylon or TPU) that stiffens the forefoot of the shoe. Plates, often used in trail runners, protect the bottom of your foot when the shoe impacts rocks and roots.

-Shanks stiffen the midsole and protect the heel and arch. They boost a shoe's firmness when traveling on rocky terrain. Ultralight backpackers often wear lightweight trail runners with plates for protection and shanks for protection and support.

-TPU (thermoplastic urethane) is a flexible plastic used in some midsoles as a stabilization device.

Running Shoe Outsoles

Most road shoes are made with rugged carbon rubber in the heel. Blown rubber—which provides more cushioning—is often used in the forefoot. Trail runners tend to have all carbon rubber outsoles to better withstand trail wear, while road-racing shoes are frequently all blown rubber to reduce weight.

Heel-to-Toe Drop

The drop of a shoe represents the difference between the height of the heel and the height of the toe. This primarily affects how your foot strikes the ground when you land. A low or medium heel-to-toe drop (zero to 8mm) promotes a forefoot or mid-foot strike, while a high-drop shoe (10–12mm) promotes heel striking.

Note: Heel drop and cushioning are independent of each other. It is possible to find ultra-cushioned shoes that still have a zero or low heel-to-toe drop, for example.

View media item 1360171

Heel Counter

This refers to the rigid structure around the heel. It provides motion control and is sometimes supplemented with a heel wedge, which adds support and cushioning to the heel. It can help those runners who are bothered by Achilles tendonitis.

Medial Post or Torsion Bar

These are located on the sides of shoes to help control excessive inward or outward motion. They are designed for the over-pronator or supinator.

Running Shoe Fit Tips

Foot size: Shoe lasts (which determine shoe sizes) vary by manufacturer and even from one shoe model to another. You may need a half-size or even a full size smaller or larger than you think. If you're unsure, have your feet measured.

Try on shoes at the end of the day. Your feet normally swell a bit during the day's activities and will be at their largest then. This helps you avoid buying shoes that are too small.

Aim for a thumbnail's length of extra space in the toebox. The width should be snug but allow a bit of room for your foot to move without rubbing. Laces should be snug but not tight. Barefoot shoes are an exception: Heel and toes should “fit like a glove” without any extra space in the toes.

If you wear orthotics, bring them along. They impact the fit of a shoe.

You don't have to wear a shoe of your gender. Men: Try a women's shoe if you have a narrow foot. Women: Try a men's shoe if you have a larger or wider foot.

Consider aftermarket insoles (a.k.a. footbeds). Insoles come in models that can enhance comfort, support or fit—or all 3.

Last edited:
Are they more ventilated? I've never owned one and only tried them on, not a chance to run to experience how it really is. Really got to stop procrastinating and grab a pair already. :lol:
It's Nike Lunar Racer 3 and they have been out for maybe a year or two now? They are often on sale too, Finishline probably has a few, check them out. One of the lightest shoes I've ever tried on (if not the lightest).

I feel they are, but I may be bias! haha I run in the F2s too, but I definitely prefer the LR3s over them.

Are they out yet?

Yeah, they've been out since December 2012. You can find older cws heavily discounted now (~$60 or so).

Nice post btw, RFX! Supinator here! haha

If you guys are on Instagram, use the hashtag [COLOR=#red]#NTrunning[/COLOR] with your run summaries/posts. It'd be nice to build/extend/expand our NT running community on there! There are a couple of us using it so far. Hope to see you guys in the feed! :nthat:

Last edited:
Added that post to the og post.

I went to a running store last week and got a gait analysis. Was told I could go with a neutral shoe and tried on a few pairs. Ended up getting a pair of lunarglide 6's and I'm happy with them so far. They beat the hell out of the Air Max Plus' I was wearing. Ran 11.54 miles in them today. I'm exhausted but I glad I got a long run in.

11 miles that's what's up.

The gym I'm currently using has a elevation chamber with a weird treadmill and a bike. I can't run right now because I twisted my ankle a week ago. I thought the air was a little thinner riding the bike but I guess the treadmill is the true litmus test and benefit.

For those interested in pose method and better running form. I think I actually found out about this book through this thread, or another, I forget. It's a good read and straight forward. It'll have you thinking differently about running for sure.
View media item 1360309

I like how KickGenius kind of explains why the boost is a gimmick about energy return and all. Now I am not saying he is 100% correct, I don't really know but he makes some good points. It still feels great for sure.

Everyone (including KickGenius) is entitled to their own opinions. Personally, I think he had a sour taste in his mouth about Springblade at the time.

Regarding the energy return, it has been scientifically proven by Runner's World...which you can read here.

"Adidas made lofty claims about its new midsole material, including that it has "industry-leading energy return" and is resistant to temperature changes. In tests at the RW Shoe Lab, we can measure how much a shoe springs back–that is, how much of the energy from footstrike is returned on the rebound. The Energy Boost truly is the industry leader: It performed better than any of the almost 800 other shoes we'd tested. We also compared the shoe's cushioning against standard and lightweight EVA foams at 20°F and 120°F, and found it far less affected by swings in temperature. Typical foams get harder at cold temperatures and softer in hotter conditions."

I'm looking forward to seeing more Ultraboost cws. That was the main thing that kept me away from trying their previous models, TBH... :/

What makes you say this?

...and just curious, have you tried any of the adidas Boost shoes?

Several studies have been done over the years and "energy return" from midsole cushioning has been found to be minimal at best. Don't know if you can access the full articles but here are few journal article abstracts on the subject

This 2014 Men's Journal article sums up some running shoe myths based on scientific study over the years

They don't make boost running shoes in my size (16) but I did own the DRose 5's for a short while before returning them. I know Bball and running are two different sports but I was impressed with boost. I think its a great cushioning system. I returned the DRose's for other on court reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom