Official HDTV and HD Thread! Vol: 1080p > 720p > 1080i > 480p > 480i

Get the ST60 man, Plasmas >LED

It's almost impossible to get a permanent burn-in on Plasmas nowadays. One of my panny plasmas thats around 3 years old now has slight issues with image persistence, but that goes away pretty fast. And i will take that over the soap opera effect on LEDs anyday :x

I'm just worried about the burn issues. I never thought deciding a TV would be so hard :lol: I guess I'll walk into my BB or costco and check out the resolution.

Last edited:
dude plasmas out... get LED. i have plasma. i can get a reflection of opposite side of my house watching my damn plasma ....with a nightlight on

btw new tv's are coming out which are going to have HDMI 2.0 and like 4k HD tvs

Was about to cop a 42 inch 1080 Insignia for the PS3 in my bedroom today.....but I wasn't sure about the brand and if I should just drop an extra $200 for a Samsung.

Insignia is a good brand.

I've owned several Insignia/Dynex tvs throughout the years and they've all been good build, good quality..

if you're going for a 1080p tv try to get something with a 120hz refresh rate as well.

4K tvs are a waste of time right now with the lack of actual 4k content and you'll probably also need to go 70" and up to really see any differences between 1080p and 4k

@yanky
I've read that plasmas have to be in a dimly lit room and away from sunlight.
Look at the TVs in person.
You may find that better blacks isn't worth having to have your living room so dark, just to watch something.

It depends on the type of lighting.
For instance my st30 is unwatchable if I have the curtains open during the day.
If i have the ceiling fan light on at night there is no glare at all.

For the person who asked earlier between the zt60 or f8500.
Zt for movies
F8500 for sports and games.
The f8500 has more vivid colors.

Both great nonetheless.

Does anyone know of a good website to help you calibrate your TV?

I'm mad that I got a more advanced television than my girls dad but the quality on his set is way better!

Does anyone know of a good website to help you calibrate your TV?

I'm mad that I got a more advanced television than my girls dad but the quality on his set is way better!

Check the avs forum, best info on everything audio video. Find your tv maker and go from there.

Damn, digging up this thread but wanted some opinions. I'm planning to get a new TV pretty soon. And I've narrowed it down to the Sony KDL55W950B and the XBR55X850B..... any help?

Damn, digging up this thread but wanted some opinions. I'm planning to get a new TV pretty soon. And I've narrowed it down to the Sony KDL55W950B and the XBR55X850B..... any help?
I'd go with the 4k tv than the 1080p tv. You can find some of your fav popular movies on 4k bluray.

I'd go with the 4k tv than the 1080p tv. You can find some of your fav popular movies on 4k bluray.

I'm confused? Blu-Rays are still only 1080p. The only way to really get 4K content right now is streaming. I would really only be able to get 4K content through netflix, which has Breaking Bad, House of Cards, The Blacklist in 4k.

Now I'm also thinking about the 60 inch Samsung Plasma 8500 model. Hmmmm. what to do what to do.

Last edited:

I'm confused? Blu-Rays are still only 1080p. The only way to really get 4K content right now is streaming. I would really only be able to get 4K content through netflix, which has Breaking Bad, House of Cards, The Blacklist in 4k.

Now I'm also thinking about the 60 inch Samsung Plasma 8500 model. Hmmmm. what to do what to do.
Some blurays have been remastered to support 4k tvs. Like Spiderman for example. Amazon product ASIN B00BPA2PEI
Going with 4k would prepare for the content that's to be released.

IMO, Samsung has the best picture. I stared at various hdtvs in person to come to that conclusion.

Some blurays have been remastered to support 4k tvs. Like Spiderman for example. http://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-Mastered-Single-Disc-Blu-ray-UltraViolet/dp/B00BPA2PEI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413249322&sr=8-1&keywords=spiderman+4k+bluray

Going with 4k would prepare for the content that's to be released.

IMO, Samsung has the best picture. I stared at various hdtvs in person to come to that conclusion.

It's Mastered in 4K, but the Blu-Ray player will still only output a 1080P signal. So it's not a true 4K image.

I actually work in home theater at best buy, so I see these TV's all day everyday. (Minus the Samsung Plasma, never seen it) but we have some pretty good discounts we can take advantage of right now, which make these all affordable options for me at the moment.

I do like the Samsung 8550 as far as 4K sets, but the Sony will be a bit cheaper. I feel like the Samsungs are brighter, but the colors on the Sony's have a little more accurate colors.

i'm really leaning toward the XBR.....

Real, proper 4K blu ray discs are supposedly coming out at the end of 2015/start of 2016:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=14923

I'm not sure how well it will do. DVDs are STILL outselling blu rays today, 8 years after the release of the blu ray format, and if blus don't start outselling DVDs by the time 4K discs come out, then 4K discs will effectively become a niche format within a format that is niche already.

Personally, even though I consider myself a videophile, I am still stunned by 2K if a 2K blu ray is done properly. Check out Criterion's release of Michael Mann's Thief. That film grain is gorgeous and looks stunning at even very large screens/projectors. If all blu rays were given that kind of care, I wouldn't care about upgrading to 4K.

And I doubt about how much the average consumer is going to be crazy about upgrading to 4K in general. You gotta remember that broadcasts aren't even full 1080p HD, but only 720p. And I bet that most people's TV setups don't even show the full benefit of 720p, let alone 1080p:

Last edited:

Thanks for the input. I'm still leaning towards that Sony. 4K isn't a huge deal, as I primarily game anyway and will watch Blu-Rays here and there. But I do like that set a lot and feel like the colors on it look great.

Back
Top Bottom