Official HDTV and HD Thread! Vol: 1080p > 720p > 1080i > 480p > 480i

For the plasma owners... how do you like the brightness levels on plasmas? its still one of the things thats making me lean more towards LCDs... this issue ofwhiter whites, or blacker blacks... or I can just forget about all this and wait for OLEDs...

Originally Posted by distinct101

nnarum: distinct101.
nerd.gif

And anybody that is in love with A/V stuff needs to fiddle with this; I am never going back to juggling around 6 remotes.
sick.gif

logitech-harmony-one-remote.jpg

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I love this remote...It even controls my air conditioner...

Originally Posted by jordanhead7792

is there any 1080p t.v that are not in the $1000 range?

37" JVC 1080p LCD for $998 at Sam's

37" Panasonic 1080p LCD for about $1,100

Not sure if you can get one cheaper...

I wanna get this one $547 @ walmart. It's a plasma, 30,000:1 to 1 contrast, 5ms, 1200 brightness, 720p.

0085738000133_215X215.jpg

HD is pretty meh so far. i have a 32 inch samsung and so far the hd channels are just ok looking. one thing i have about it is inconsistency. some hd channelsfill the whole screen while some dont. also,some commercials fill the whole screen and look beautiful and some are just crappy SD. i wish there was moreconsistency between all the HD channels. their should be some type of standard and they should all look the same. digital channels also do not look that great.

for anyone lookin to jump into HD, if you cant really afford it,no need to break your back to jump in, its still relatively new so in a few yrs im sure theirwill be alot more HD channels and they will hopefully adopt some standard to keep it lookin the same from channel to channel. the only real reason to jump inright now is if you love watchin movies and gaming, because both look AMAZING in HD.

Originally Posted by HARMCITY45

that Distinct looks nice,but I got my eye on the Harmony 1000...joints is
pimp.gif

That full touch screen gets old fast...I had a philips model (wanted it ever since watching Belly...Ox is the truth) but after using it a while, I didntlike it....You cant feel the buttons and you cant really use it with one hand...

I looks nice and when people come over they are
eek.gif
but remember you arethe one that has to use it...

Originally Posted by ussjme

HD is pretty meh so far. i have a 32 inch samsung and so far the hd channels are just ok looking. one thing i have about it is inconsistency. some hd channels fill the whole screen while some dont. also,some commercials fill the whole screen and look beautiful and some are just crappy SD. i wish there was more consistency between all the HD channels. their should be some type of standard and they should all look the same. digital channels also do not look that great.

for anyone lookin to jump into HD, if you cant really afford it,no need to break your back to jump in, its still relatively new so in a few yrs im sure their will be alot more HD channels and they will hopefully adopt some standard to keep it lookin the same from channel to channel. the only real reason to jump in right now is if you love watchin movies and gaming, because both look AMAZING in HD.

What do you mean some HD channels don't fill the whole screen? Not EVERYTHING is filmed in HD for HD channels. Commercials are still wayy off frombeing shot entirely in HD.

I have a 52 in Sony XBR4. I love it, but I was wondering if anyone knew how to set up picture in picture. I can't do it with two different cablechannels. Say I want to watch ESPN HD and HBO HD. I can't. I can watch a cable channel and have my 360 in onother window. Does anyone know if it ispossible with the two cable channels. I have comcast. Please help.

why is everyone rushing out 2 get a 1080p when 1080 wont be here within the next year u will start seeing a lot of 4096p pretty soon.
oh and just 2 let anyone know 480p and 480i is not hd its e.d just get a 720

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

What do you mean some HD channels don't fill the whole screen? Not EVERYTHING is filmed in HD for HD channels. Commercials are still wayy off from being shot entirely in HD.
I'm guessin he's refering to some movies with an aspect ratio thats higher than 1.85... anything higher (like 2.35:1, depends on the director)will result in the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen... OR upscaled 4:3 shows with the pillerbox blackbars on the side...

Originally Posted by SCOfoshO

I have a 26 inch Samsung, I have no complaints with it. Problem is, I am moving, and my new room is HUGE. O I am looking into getting a tv from 40 inches to 50 inches. I am not sure which to get, and LCD or a Plasma. Can anyone tell me the best options for what I need/want?

~I am only a casual gamer, do not play all the time. But there are spurts I go on when a new video game comes out, I play it every second I can get. So is Burn in really an issue for plasmas?
~I watch A LOT of tv. My tv is on almost all day. And it gets hot in San Diego during some months, especially the summer. So is there really that much of a difference between Plasmas and LCD's when it comes to giving off heat?
~I watch a lot of sports and a lot of movies. Blu-rays especially.
~As far as lighting is concerned, I heard Plasmas do better in darker environments and LCDs do better in lighter environments. This isn't much of an issue, but was wondering if it was true.
~I do not really have a budget. But I dont want anything over 2,500. Plus My friend is letting me use his Best Buy discount for a tv since he stole one from them already
laugh.gif

I heard the Samsung LN46A650 is a good tv. Any other suggestions would be real helpful. Oh and I heard hdtv were going down in price this summer, any truth to that?

most def go with the samsung 650 or 750 series. try amazon for cheaper prices. I have been to several stores to compare that and the xbr5's evenworkers have suggested the samsung. the picture is beautiful the 40inch is on amazon (650) for like 15 and i think the 750 is like 17 or 18....

here ya go:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=samsung+ln40a650

Harmcity45: Harmony One retails for $250. And I was going to get the 1000 but then realized how stupid it would be to have remote that requires two hands.

I think I'm going to go with a 32/37 Samsung A450 for the bedroom.

Now I just need to save.

Ok people, Im inching closer to getting the TV... But i need a little more information regarding PC input... Is DVI a big difference from VGA? Would a DVI/HDMIcable work the same as just a plain DVI cable? Thanks I appreciate it... I think im getting the Vizio from Costo the VO32L

I believe that DVI works for better resolution. VGA does not look as good. A DVI to HDMI cable would work well. Anyone is able to correct if i'm wrong.

Originally Posted by Wikipedia

I believe that DVI works for better resolution. VGA does not look as good. A DVI to HDMI cable would work well. Anyone is able to correct if i'm wrong.

Ok thanks maybe someone else can confirm also, i read also also VGA doesnt show as good... Im about to buy the Vizio but it doesnt come with a DVI port...So i would have to get a DVI/HDMI cable and i wanted to know if it would be a big difference than a plain DVI cable...

Originally Posted by ii FLaSh ii

Ok thanks maybe someone else can confirm also, i read also also VGA doesnt show as good... Im about to buy the Vizio but it doesnt come with a DVI port... So i would have to get a DVI/HDMI cable and i wanted to know if it would be a big difference than a plain DVI cable...

The difference between a DVI cable and a DVI>HDMI cable is not much, if anything, it'll be better. One thing you should know though, is that DVIcables dont carry audio, so if you go with a DVI or DVI>HDMI cable you'll need to figure out an audio connection.

Originally Posted by SaNTi0321

Originally Posted by ii FLaSh ii

Ok thanks maybe someone else can confirm also, i read also also VGA doesnt show as good... Im about to buy the Vizio but it doesnt come with a DVI port... So i would have to get a DVI/HDMI cable and i wanted to know if it would be a big difference than a plain DVI cable...

The difference between a DVI cable and a DVI>HDMI cable is not much, if anything, it'll be better. One thing you should know though, is that DVI cables dont carry audio, so if you go with a DVI or DVI>HDMI cable you'll need to figure out an audio connection.

Ok some good information... I thought since it would be a DVI/HDMI cable that it would bring some audio being that its also a HDMI... Now ill just have tothink of an audio connection... You people make me feel better about which TV I should buy
laugh.gif

How do i fix overscan on Toshiba HD tvs? A part of my map is cut off while im playing GTA

Originally Posted by SoleWoman

Originally Posted by SCOfoshO

I have a 26 inch Samsung, I have no complaints with it. Problem is, I am moving, and my new room is HUGE. O I am looking into getting a tv from 40 inches to 50 inches. I am not sure which to get, and LCD or a Plasma. Can anyone tell me the best options for what I need/want?

~I am only a casual gamer, do not play all the time. But there are spurts I go on when a new video game comes out, I play it every second I can get. So is Burn in really an issue for plasmas?
~I watch A LOT of tv. My tv is on almost all day. And it gets hot in San Diego during some months, especially the summer. So is there really that much of a difference between Plasmas and LCD's when it comes to giving off heat?
~I watch a lot of sports and a lot of movies. Blu-rays especially.
~As far as lighting is concerned, I heard Plasmas do better in darker environments and LCDs do better in lighter environments. This isn't much of an issue, but was wondering if it was true.
~I do not really have a budget. But I dont want anything over 2,500. Plus My friend is letting me use his Best Buy discount for a tv since he stole one from them already
laugh.gif

I heard the Samsung LN46A650 is a good tv. Any other suggestions would be real helpful. Oh and I heard hdtv were going down in price this summer, any truth to that?

most def go with the samsung 650 or 750 series. try amazon for cheaper prices. I have been to several stores to compare that and the xbr5's even workers have suggested the samsung. the picture is beautiful the 40inch is on amazon (650) for like 15 and i think the 750 is like 17 or 18....

here ya go:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=samsung+ln40a650

THanks alot. I am looking to be buying in July, do you think the tv will still be readily available or drop in price at all?

Back
Top Bottom