Official HDTV and HD Thread! Vol: 1080p > 720p > 1080i > 480p > 480i

Originally Posted by SCOfoshO

Originally Posted by SoleWoman

I have a 26 inch Samsung, I have no complaints with it. Problem is, I am moving, and my new room is HUGE. O I am looking into getting a tv from 40 inches to 50 inches. I am not sure which to get, and LCD or a Plasma. Can anyone tell me the best options for what I need/want?

~I am only a casual gamer, do not play all the time. But there are spurts I go on when a new video game comes out, I play it every second I can get. So is Burn in really an issue for plasmas?
~I watch A LOT of tv. My tv is on almost all day. And it gets hot in San Diego during some months, especially the summer. So is there really that much of a difference between Plasmas and LCD's when it comes to giving off heat?
~I watch a lot of sports and a lot of movies. Blu-rays especially.
~As far as lighting is concerned, I heard Plasmas do better in darker environments and LCDs do better in lighter environments. This isn't much of an issue, but was wondering if it was true.
~I do not really have a budget. But I dont want anything over 2,500. Plus My friend is letting me use his Best Buy discount for a tv since he stole one from them already
laugh.gif

I heard the Samsung LN46A650 is a good tv. Any other suggestions would be real helpful. Oh and I heard hdtv were going down in price this summer, any truth to that?

most def go with the samsung 650 or 750 series. try amazon for cheaper prices. I have been to several stores to compare that and the xbr5's even workers have suggested the samsung. the picture is beautiful the 40inch is on amazon (650) for like 15 and i think the 750 is like 17 or 18....

here ya go:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=samsung+ln40a650

THanks alot. I am looking to be buying in July, do you think the tv will still be readily available or drop in price at all?
The tv will most def be available. As far as a price drop...they might shave of another 100 by july but i highly doubt it. thats a pretty awesome price. considering stores like best buy and circuit city just got them in store about a month and a half ago. In store they are 2g's easily. So go with amazon and save u 5-600 bucks. plus you get free white glove delivery. You really cant beat that. I can't wait. I was suppose to get mine a month ago. But my pops told me to wait until around this time because of price drops. And I am so glad I did. Im copping the 40inch 750 in july as well when I get back from Cali. good luck dude. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Thank for the info. I want to get it from Best Buy because my friend is going give me his discount there. Depending on what his discount is, I will decide whether to buy from Amazon or not. Does Amazon have warranties?
According to amazon (in regards to warranty...1 year parts and 1 year labor warranty (90 days parts and labor for commercial use), with in-homeservice, backed by Samsung toll-free support.)
How much is your friends discount? retail on the 40inch is 1999 let's say your friend's discount is 30% at best...ur looking at about 1399 not inclutax, delivery, and warranty. Unless he can hook it up with free delivery and a 5-10 yr warranty and a few hdmi cabels. To be honest (this may not be a smartthing I am about to say...) but I wouldn't worry about the warranty. Samsung is a pretty reputable brand and unless users are careless and mess up theircrap...you should be in pretty good shape. Check out some of the reviews they have on cnet.com about the 650 and 750 series.

For anyone wondering on brand liability..i suggest going to cnet and looking up the hdtv guides

SoleWoman,

his discount is cost BB pays for it plus 5%, and 55% off the warranty i believe. I agree with you about the quality of Samsung. I have a 26inch right now and Ihave had it for over a year, not one problem...yet. *knocks on wood*

So I guess I just have to ask him what the discount would come out to be.

Originally Posted by HARMCITY45

I ended up getting an great deal on the flatscreen I got now...A 47" Toshiba Regza 1080p...haven't had a problem yet....
*%%$ you harm!!!!1
mad.gif

...i want a REGZA
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

For those of yall (Like me) who want a hot remote to control your home theater but dont wanna pay over 150 for it

the Logitech harmony 880
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1347758

[table][tr][td]
L23-6584-a.JPG
[/td] [/tr][tr][td] Logitech Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote

$109.99* [img]http://images.tigerdirect.com/main/buynow_lg.gif[/img] [/td] [/tr][/table]

I had this before my Harmony One...I had a few problems with it....The buttons become less responsive over time (due to the fact there is no space betweenthe numbers I think...compare with the Harmony One numbers and you will see what I mean)...
It doesnt charge when you put it on the base...I had to putsomething on top of the remote while it was on the base to get it to charge...Has something to do with the charge connectors on base and remote....Its not abad remote but the Harmony One blows it away...NH

Better overall construction...Everything that was wrong with the 880 was fixed with the Harmony One...

For anyone wondering on brand liability..i suggest going to cnet and looking up the hdtv guides

Take those reviews with a grain of salt. I think Cnet has some biases due to their advertisers...

Originally Posted by nnarum

Take those reviews with a grain of salt. I think Cnet has some biases due to their advertisers...
lol that does make sense never thought about that.

Originally Posted by NYCBaller34

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

For those of yall (Like me) who want a hot remote to control your home theater but dont wanna pay over 150 for it

the Logitech harmony 880
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1347758

[table][tr][td]
L23-6584-a.JPG
[/td] [/tr][tr][td] Logitech Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote

$109.99* [img]http://images.tigerdirect.com/main/buynow_lg.gif[/img] [/td] [/tr][/table]

I had this before my Harmony One...I had a few problems with it....The buttons become less responsive over time (due to the fact there is no space between the numbers I think...compare with the Harmony One numbers and you will see what I mean)...
It doesnt charge when you put it on the base...I had to put something on top of the remote while it was on the base to get it to charge...Has something to do with the charge connectors on base and remote....Its not a bad remote but the Harmony One blows it away...NH

Better overall construction...Everything that was wrong with the 880 was fixed with the Harmony One...

Good info fam.
Did u have any problems running your HD Digital Cable Box with the Logitech remotes?
Do the menu buttons and Info buttons aand Aspect Ratio buttons all that work the same as on your Cable Box remote?

For the PC input(DVI) to the TV... Does it matter how good the video card is? Or will it show the same, as long as it has DVI?

GUNNA GET IT wrote:

Did u have any problems running your HD Digital Cable Box with the Logitech remotes?
Do the menu buttons and Info buttons aand Aspect Ratio buttons all that work the same as on your Cable Box remote?

Everything works perfect...Anything I could do with my standard remote cable remote, I could do with the Logitech plus more....

The Picture in Picture that I couldn't get to work with my TV remote works with my Logitech...

I got my xbox on 1080i right now on my 32inch vizio.....should I just switch it to 720p...would I get a better picture?

Originally Posted by TRIPLETHREAT0699

I got my xbox on 1080i right now on my 32inch vizio.....should I just switch it to 720p...would I get a better picture?

You probably won't notice a huge difference, but I'd go with 720p. It wouldn't hurt to try both.
[h1]http://gizmodo.com/5012627/over-half-of-hdtv-owners-still-dont-know-what-blu+raw-is[/h1]
[h1]Over Half of HDTV Owners Still Don't Know What Blu-ray Is[/h1]
NPD's latest survey of consumer awareness about Blu-ray tries to cheerlead, with the headline, "Consumer Awareness and Potential for Blu-ray Disc Devices Rising." But then you read the results-45 percent of HDTV owners are now "familiar with Blu-ray," up from 35 percent the same time last year. That means over half of HDTV owners-not regular people with standard def TVs, we're talking the leading chunk of consumers that should be well aware of Blu-ray-still don't know what it is. That's horrendous.

And only 9 percent of HDTV owners plan to buy Blu-ray. Nine percent of a minority, for 4 million "potential buyers." That's not the makings of a dominant format. The survey results are from March, so things might be slightly better now, but given the past rate of growth-10 percent over the last year-likely not too much. Also this does conflict with an earlier poll stating that 60 percent of US consumers are "aware" of Blu-ray, but recognizing the name and knowing what it is are two different things.

Still, no wonder the Blu camp put off that victory party-they've still got a lot of work to do. I think I'm going to go sip gin and tonics with DVD by the pool.
Jun 03, 2008 09:15

The NPD Group: Consumer Awareness and Potential for Blu-ray Disc Devices Rising

Challenges Still Remain for Consumer Adoption of Next-Generation DVD Players and Content
PORT WASHINGTON, N.Y. -(Business Wire)- Jun. 3, 2008 According to The NPD Group, a leading market research company, 45 percent of HDTV owners in the U.S. now claim to be familiar with Blu-ray Disc (BD), up from 35 percent in June 2007. And, while only 6 percent of all consumers surveyed said they plan to purchase a BD device, NPD found purchase intent to be higher among the growing population of HDTV owners, boding well for the future of the format.

NPD's "2008 Blu-ray Disc Report" reveals that 9 percent of HDTV owners plan to buy a BD-capable player in the next six months. "With HDTVs now in approximately 40 million US households, that percentage translates to a pool of almost 4 million potential BD player buyers," according to Russ Crupnick, entertainment industry analyst for NPD.

Nevertheless, manufacturers still face challenges. Although HD-DVD is no longer a competitive threat, many consumers are content with standard-definition DVD players and content. The leading reasons cited as barriers to purchase were a perceived high cost of BD players and a belief that standard-definition DVD is "good enough."

Blu-ray Content Opportunities

Consumers who purchased a BD set-top player cited "leading-edge technology" and a "superior viewing experience" as primary reasons for making the purchase. And they indicated a clear preference for BD content. In fact current BD set-top player owners expect that 80 percent of their upcoming purchases will be in BD rather than standard DVD. By comparison, 43 percent of PS3 owners use the BD capability in their consoles at least once a month; however, they do not view BD movies as often as set-top device owners do.

"The door is open for studios to feed the consumer's appetite for Blu-ray content, and we expect sales to increase, as prices for hardware and software moderate in the coming months," Crupnick said. "Even so it will take a concerted effort by manufacturers and retailers to ratchet awareness even further and convince all of those potential buyers of the superiority of Blu-ray Disc versus standard DVD."

Data note: Data was collected via online survey, which was fielded between March 10 and March 20, 2008. Final data for the nationally representative sample was weighted to represent the U.S. population of individuals age 18 and older.

About The NPD Group, Inc.

The NPD Group is the leading provider of reliable and comprehensive consumer and retail information for a wide range of industries. Today, more than 1,600 manufacturers, retailers, and service companies rely on NPD to help them drive critical business decisions at the global, national, and local market levels. NPD helps our clients to identify new business opportunities and guide product development, marketing, sales, merchandising, and other functions. Information is available for the following industry sectors: automotive, beauty, commercial technology, consumer technology, entertainment, fashion, food and beverage, food service, home, office supplies, software, sports, toys, and wireless. For more information, contact us or visit http://www.npd.com/.

Blu-ray_Mission_Accomplished_2.jpg

I have a question, I'm going to buy a new tv around 40 inches. What is better? 1080 p Plasma, 1080 p LCD, 1080 p 120 HZ or whatever that is called? I wantthe best image possible because I have a Blu Ray player and a 360 I use often.

Originally Posted by TheKingOfVa

I have a question, I'm going to buy a new tv around 40 inches. What is better? 1080 p Plasma, 1080 p LCD, 1080 p 120 HZ or whatever that is called? I want the best image possible because I have a Blu Ray player and a 360 I use often.

Plasma. It's going to give you a better picture overall.

dont most 120mhz LCD TV have problem with the triple ball effect? I know the samsung does...couple my boy's bought the samsung couple months ago, and hadto return it like 4 times to Circuit city, cuz even with firmware update, the triple ball effect is still there during fast action scene or watchingsports.....

Huge release week for Blu-ray!
I'm probably going to get my PS3 at Wal-Mart this Thursday with the $100 gift card for Blu-ray. I had a PS3 before, but my cousin wrecked it and I sold it to him.
Cloverfield, Patton, Bee Movie, Signs, Coming to America!...
eek.gif
pimp.gif

Just a reminder...

I don't see Heat on here.

Therefore, this list sucks to me.

Word of advice to all potential HDTV buyers...if you plan to buy...get it a few days before the SuperBowl or any major sports event...they cut deals like a B'....
pimp.gif

on top of that, if you dont mind Open Box Items the day after the SuperBowl is a great time to get sick deals on Big ScreenTVs. Peeps cop them joints just to throw a superbowl party then bring it back for refund.
My homegirl at BestBuy put me on to that

Yo Military...

You know what's gonna piss you off more about that...

is that I only paid $1300(saved like $700+) for the TV and $200(saved $225) for my home theater...
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Word of advice to all potential HDTV buyers...if you plan to buy...get it a few days before the SuperBowl or any major sports event...they cut deals like a B'....
pimp.gif
theres not enough
mad.gif
emoticons in the world to express my anger

narum...now that you've come to your senses and stopped with Vizio is god campaign
wink.gif

Im in need of a second opinion. My living room is looking for an upgrade... 46-52" in range...Plasmas are out the question cause of the energy consumptionand I have enough bills
nerd.gif
. I'm looking at either Samsung or Panasonicin LCD and DLP form. In my eyes the DLP is slightly better but then again some of the newer LCDs are beautiful. any input would be appreciated.

I got a ps3 which one of those circuit city $1199.99 (Samsung,Sony,Toshiba) HDTV's 1080p's would be the best one to get...im goingto check them out today...im itching towards the Toshiba but im also doing reviews on all but you guys seem to always be the most knowledgeable...

I also have a 42 Regza...Military its ok, 1300 aint bad. But I'm pissed I missed the $1200 free shipping on Amazon for the 47'' Regza back inJanuary.

Originally Posted by MexicanSoul

narum...now that you've come to your senses and stopped with Vizio is god campaign
wink.gif

Im in need of a second opinion. My living room is looking for an upgrade... 46-52" in range...Plasmas are out the question cause of the energy consumption and I have enough bills
nerd.gif
. I'm looking at either Samsung or Panasonic in LCD and DLP form. In my eyes the DLP is slightly better but then again some of the newer LCDs are beautiful. any input would be appreciated.

DLP > 120hz LCD.
For the energy consumption, plasma and LCD are pretty close. Plasma just gives off more heat due to the plasma gas within the glass panel. For the 120hz, Iwould stay away from this technology as long as possible. I don't think it isn't worth the price either. You could get a good Samsung in that or even aBravia from Sony. Panasonic only has a LCD at 37", which is an awesome set I might add, but I wish they made bigger LCD's... Good luck!

Allforth3love...

All 3 you named are great choices...

The Toshiba is def. The most cost effecient..I like the samsung( my homie has a 32" and a 40") but I can't stand the glare of the gloss screen which turned me off..sony is excellent too..but it was too expensive for my budget...

I have a Toshiba regza...I have no complaints at all...my picture is
pimp.gif
..I love it..

Just do the research and find what best suits you....
pimp.gif
thanks for that advice man ...i think im going to go for theToshiba

Back
Top Bottom