**Official Kendrick Lamar Thread 4th Studio Album ''DAMN.''Out Now**

Hip hop has always been a mashup of genres. Jazz and funk elements make it not hip hop? That's the craziest thing I've ever heard in my life. You're acting like kendrick pulled an 808 and heartbreak and sang the whole album. Nah, he's rapping and telling stories the entire time. There's nothing more hip hop than this. NOTHING.

I'll say it again...

The only time a hip hop album gets mad praise is when it's not really hip hop anymore, and the critics latch on to it because it's something different for the genre.

I don't look at the beats on Drake's mix tape as being cookie cutter; just because a dude throws in a mix of jazz and funk doesn't mean it's good.

Hip hop was always about having fun, partying and the like, and I've read where people say the times of today call for an album like this.

PE made music that you could vibe with, and the message was there. But it was also fun music.

I can't vibe with this.
I accepted your opinion this whole time until you've now just started making wild accusations. First Hip-Hop has always been samples of jazz and funk since day one, so get past that. It's just a type of jazz and funk you don't like that Kendrick used for this album, fine. No one is faulting you for that. But to say Hip-Hop was always about partying and having fun is straight up shenanigans. One of the first big records in Hip-Hop was "The Message" which was all about the struggle that was happening in the streets at that time. Lots of songs back then were very much socially conscious and spoke strictly to the impoverished. Now let's get to your ridiculous PE comment. PE was and is still my favorite Hip-Hop group of all time. Their music was all message and there was nothing "fun" about it. It was hard, in your face conscious music. Sure there was what you could kind of call "comic relief" with Flav's songs, but it was no "fun" by any means. You just don't like this album because it doesn't follow the typical formula of a traditional Hip-Hop album which is hard drums and loops with a guy rapping over them. Trust me there's plenty of that going on here in TPAB.

Now we all get it you're never going to like this album. So just leave and stop trying to make everyone else not like it, because that's never going to happen. There's plenty of things you can say positive in the Drake thread.

Personally i say we just close this discussion with a Music Critics Dissection of This Record:

Still Amazed he gave it a 10/10 :smokin

Lol, damn, that guy hates on everything in rap, and gives this a 10/10? Well okay then.

I'll get a lot of heat for my opinions even more, but I loved Yeezus, it truly is sonic cocaine.

he gave joey bad***** an 8.. drakes mixtape an 8 and lupe a 7

Last edited:
The more I listen to TPAB, the more I prefer Section.80. I hate to say it, but I feel that Kendrick was doing too much in some instances. Didn't really vibe with neither of the interludes, especially For Free. Another time I felt like he was doing too much was at the end of Momma, which would've been my favorite song if not for the ending. It should've ended after the third verse, no need for that weird distorted fourth verse.

That being said, Section.80>TPAB=GKMC=OD>EP

I group this with Yeezus as another horrible attempt at transcending the genre so to speak.

Butterfly's sound had been (mostly) done before, Yeezus' sound hadn't. What's different about it is the quality/exceptional effort behind the lyrical content.

These are the same critics who praised Yeezus...

Totally different groups of people.

I probably wouldn't even download a Cole and Kendrick album. I hope that never happens. Way too many collabs and fake friendliness in rap. I would rather see Kendrick beef with him than record with him.

someone clearly missed that "temptations" song they teased on youtube in 2011 together

drake i the number one rapper today.

bar none and this is coming froma kanye stan

Number 1 as in sales? Cause he's not the total package and I'm as big of a stan of Aubrey as anyone.

I liked Drake's album a lot, but he can't be No. 1 in anything besides maybe teenage popularity... certainly not ability.

There's nothing more hip hop than this. NOTHING.

How many tracks have hard-hitting drums besides Blacker the Berry?

Lol, damn, that guy hates on everything in rap, and gives this a 10/10? Well okay then.

Watch his reviews on RTJ2 and Piñata. He likes good rap. Only time I've really disagreed is with Travis Scott and Yeezus.

Last edited:
I will say the album starts off somewhat slow though. The build up was definitely worth it however, as soon as I got to Institutionalized I was all in. The first three tracks aren't even bad, I love the production but the rest of the album just seems to reach another level.

Last edited:
Kendrick Lamar's 'To Pimp A Butterfly' Projected To Sell 350K-375K 1st Week
Not bad considering almost 10 million ppl heard it for free already...

And which is first week? Sun? The 23rd???

Kinda wish he held it down til his original date. Woulda at least went gold first week.
But, **** it, I like the lp and it aint my money/ stats. I got what I came for.

Last edited:
All of this!...except I'm beginning to like King Kunta more bc of my anticipation for Institutionalized

I will say the album starts off somewhat slow though. The build up was definitely worth it however, as soon as I got to Institutionalized I was all in. The first three tracks aren't even bad, I love the production but the rest of the album just seems to reach another level.

sales don't matter anymore, i certainly believe K.dot doesn't give a damn about what he sells, only the record company behind him does. 

BTW this album is good, but he isn't spitting anything past rappers were rapping like for instance, you can go and listen to Mos Def and Talib Kweli Black Stars and that album is so ahead of its time just like Nas N-Album which was trashed by many rap fans smh...but whatever.

This $&@! Is phenomenal. Easily his best project and I used to think S.80 was the be all end all. This have a straight up of outkast goodie mobb funk with pac's ambition. I don't skip nothing. Straight front to back listen.

Physical to be in stores today
nerd.gif
troof???

nerd.gif

See not having physical copies in stores hurt. I don't know if the early release was intentional or accidental, but it hurt sales imo. Just got a physical from fye. No best buys gave it out my way yet.

When I went to pick up my copy it was off the shelves since most of the employees bought them but they had more in the back.

Kendrick Lamar's 'To Pimp A Butterfly' Projected To Sell 350K-375K 1st Week
Not bad considering almost 10 million ppl heard it for free already...

And which is first week? Sun? The 23rd???

Kinda wish he held it down til his original date. Woulda at least went gold first week.
But, **** it, I like the lp and it aint my money/ stats. I got what I came for.

Same number as Cole, expected that, they always do similar numbers. Out of the all the rappers, not OG"s like Jay/Em/Wayne.....Drizzy/Cole/Kendrick only 1 that move units and they for the most part put out what they want, when they want, which is dope.....no forced pop single (That's Drakes lane so can't knock him for that)

This was intentional, to build hype and buzz. People were buying it and streaming feeling like they were lucky and getting it early. Great release and great move. Physical copies don't really hurt, digital makes up most of the sales. Either way, happy to see this album sell well.

Where'd you go???

Fienin for a listen.

Best Buy. I would call before heading there. I had called yesterday and they said they won't put it out till the 23rd then I called again today and they got an email saying they can sell it.

This was intentional, to build hype and buzz. People were buying it and streaming feeling like they were lucky and getting it early. Great release and great move. Physical copies don't really hurt, digital makes up most of the sales. Either way, happy to see this album sell well.

I disagree. People still buy cds and for artists like Kendrick and Cole they buy multiple. I'm more interested in the second week numbers now. When all of the physicals will be available.

Back
Top Bottom