Official Photography Thread: Vol. ICan'tFindTheLastOne

Got a XSi yesterday. Been training since. I've taken about 400 pics so far. I love this cam.

Most of my pictures were just horrible but I'm training phase so I think it's ok
smile.gif

I think one of them turned out nice tho. No edit.

C&C Thanks!

Merry X-mas all ..

Some of my pictures from these couple of days .. weather sucked beside today and two days ago ..

3136794904_811617d87a.jpg

3135966393_53a4438686.jpg

3136790622_132b362f27.jpg

thanks .. I took that on the red light out the sunroof .. lol .. I don't even know where I was at, but had to take it right quick ....

somewhere in queens

Hey guys i've been thinking about copping this Sony DSLR A300 does anyone have any pointers for me. Im def new to the camera game but I wanna start a newhobby to get me away from kicks and other useless (but cool stuff) I think photography is a great artform and I am just trying to make sure i start off right

do u guys have any recommendations on the cameras so far I kinda have my heart set on this A300 but if there is something better i can get for this price (ornear it I would like to know)

here is my cam
http://www.butterflyphoto...phtml?id=2333&ref=grabber

here is a bundle i found for my cam (doubt i copp for 800 tho)

http://www.amazon.com/Son...ics&qid=1230163385&sr=1-3

^ I'm not familiar with the quality of Sony DSLRs but I'd recommend getting a Canon XSi or XTi instead. You get far more lenses to choose from andthey're easier to re-sell if you choose to upgrade or quit photography completely. There's a smaller demand for Sony DSLRs, so should you wish to sellit, you might have a harder time finding a buyer.

Quick question, and I hope NT can give me a straight answer ..

I've been with the Nikon D40x for a good year now, and I still have the stock lens. After a short while of having it i'm deciding on upgrading the lenssince I now have some cash to spend ..

My friend recommended the 50mm f/1.8 D lens because it's pretty good with some portrait shots.

Are there any disadvantages to using that kind of lens with the d40x ? I just want to know before I spend a bill on a lens and then I find out it's notreally compatible.

Oh yeah ... here's a few shots from my D40x.

Comments and feedback are welcome since I'm new to photography.

2843893317_8284b5cb28.jpg

2844728432_a7204fbd94.jpg

2841774640_be679e3897.jpg

2841774364_fd3440a5c5.jpg

3125331711_9cb98a65d8.jpg

2982204756_544595b0bd.jpg

Last picture of my mom was edited using flickr .. it was originally a little dark so I decided to lighten it up a bit.

I want to get into photography and get a good stater camera. What would you guys recommend out of Nikon D40,D60 or Canon XS?

yo, does anyone know how i can find how many shutter actuations my camera has?

i'm on a mac by the way.

Are there any disadvantages to using that kind of lens with the d40x ? I just want to know before I spend a bill on a lens and then I find out it's not really compatible.

The only problem with it is that it doesn't autofocus - the D40x needs a lens with the focus motor in the lens - as it doesn't drive them from thebody. I have the even older totally manual 50mm lens and it works okay - although on large apertures it is hard to focus sometimes as the DoF is so shallow.

You can get 2 lenses that I know of that are similar and will focus and everything else:

Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM

195_big.jpg

Nice lens, larger max aperture and the HSM is Sigma's internal motor so it will autofocus. $500 though.

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

2180_AF-S-NIKKOR-50mm-f-1.4G_front.jpg

This is the brand new version of the lens you were talking about I think. AF-S so that will autofocus too. Again a max aperture of 1.4. $430 or so though. Thedownside of this lens compared to the 1.8 one (apart from the price!) is that there is a little more distortion for some reason.

So, they exist - you just pay a whole lot more for a lens for this camera.

Almost makes it worth saving for a D80 or something instead - then at least the lenses are cheaper.

Originally Posted by kdwallace

Are there any disadvantages to using that kind of lens with the d40x ? I just want to know before I spend a bill on a lens and then I find out it's not really compatible.

The only problem with it is that it doesn't autofocus - the D40x needs a lens with the focus motor in the lens - as it doesn't drive them from the body. I have the even older totally manual 50mm lens and it works okay - although on large apertures it is hard to focus sometimes as the DoF is so shallow.

You can get 2 lenses that I know of that are similar and will focus and everything else:

Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM

Nice lens, larger max aperture and the HSM is Sigma's internal motor so it will autofocus. $500 though.

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

This is the brand new version of the lens you were talking about I think. AF-S so that will autofocus too. Again a max aperture of 1.4. $430 or so though. The downside of this lens compared to the 1.8 one (apart from the price!) is that there is a little more distortion for some reason.

So, they exist - you just pay a whole lot more for a lens for this camera.

Almost makes it worth saving for a D80 or something instead - then at least the lenses are cheaper.
So basically if I do plan on using the 50mm f/1.8 D lens,it's still compatible to use it but the only downside is that I would have to manually focus. Hmm .. I only have 200 dollars to blow at the moment
ohwell.gif

I'll probably just upgrade the whole camera all together
laugh.gif
, butthanks kdwallace .

^ yeah, that's it. It'll work except for the focus.

Like I said I have the one that doesn't do anything - you have to meter manually and stuff and it still works really well. Not being able to focusisn't the end of the world - and that's all you'll get for anything like the money.

Mine cost me something like $40 on ebay.

I got a question for anybody with some time to help a fellow NT'er out...
I was given an older 35mm Nikon as a gift...
So I was just wondering if anyone in here was still shooting 35s..and if so do you have any tips for a new shooter or even sum web sites I could check out forresources
thanks in advance
happy holidays

Originally Posted by nyrican23

I want to get into photography and get a good stater camera. What would you guys recommend out of Nikon D40,D60 or Canon XS?

I would recommend the Canon XT/XTi or XS/XSi simply because you have more lens choices and they are able to autofocus.

Here are some recent shots, I haven't gotten much time to edit my photos lately. Any input would be appreciated.
3138806493_a22f6051f1.jpg

3139634544_7f4c6f0aeb.jpg

3139634070_6857c90837.jpg

3138805049_c2c3f16888.jpg

Thanks for the help. I was looking into the D40 or XS. Still doing some research but I'm leaning towards the XS.

Just want to quickly show the evolution of my toys...

Photo Credit: my cousin Jonz19

wthpc4.jpg

I wonder what's next...Canon 5D Mark II or 1Ds Mark III?
laugh.gif

I'll post more pics soon.

Back
Top Bottom