Official Seattle Mariners 2009 Season Thread Vol. Season Over

laugh.gif
camel, told me what? 2 outta 3? i'll take it.

washburn with the one hitter on the 0rioles! literally 0's!

Argh... well, at least the Angels lost... but damn, 7 rbi's from that one O's...
smh.gif

I'm guessin the usual suspects are still in shock after tonight's loss? Which is why no one's posted anything...
smh.gif

Oh well, every team has a few of these games every season... take the good with the bad I suppose.

^ Yeah, but on the same token, if they're really trying to get this division they cannot blow games like that. That's so disheartening.

Good to see Wak moving Branyan to the three slot though. He still seems hesitant about the move though.

Big series against Texas this weekend...I'll be there tomorrow. Let the jinx die....
laugh.gif
Ichi will have a big game.

From an ESPN Insider request thread....
Staying in Seattle?
Jarrod Washburn indicated in an interview with 710 ESPN Seattle on Tuesday that he had actually thought about retiring after this season. But now he's interested in staying with the Mariners, and continuing to work with pitching coach Rick Adair. Jack Zduriencik, the Mariners GM, said on Wednesday that he's open to the idea of talking during the season with any player about a possible extension. "You keep your options open at all times," said Zduriencik. "You have to take a look at every situation on a case by case basis, and go from there… I think the players we have really like the environment, and they all see the light at the end of the tunnel. It's been really good, a revival (for this team)."

And the Mariners might have several players who would be good candidates for contract extensions, rather than as trade fodder. Start with Washburn, who has thrown the ball well this year; first baseman Russell Branyan, who is having a tremendous season and has talked about how much he appreciates the faith that the GM and Mariners Manager Don Wakamatsu have demonstrated in him; and pitcher Erik Bedard, who would be a good fit at the right price.

For now, the Mariners are just 3 ½ games out of first at a time when their starting pitching has become formidable. Now, they are set to play host to the Texas Rangers in a four-game series. "I don't have a for-sale sign out there (in the market)," said Zduriencik. "I don't have a buyer's sign out there. We're just concentrating on trying to win games on a daily basis."

The Mariners' bullpen blew a lead on Wednesday, and this fuels skeptics, writes Jerry Brewer.

Awesome, just awesome... especially after a loss like that...

Felix's reaction to the homer was hilarious...
laugh.gif

But still... 1 for 10 with RISP...
frown.gif

[h3] [/h3]
Mariners deal Betancourt to Royals

Seattle acquires pair of prospects in excange for shortstop

By Jim Street / MLB.com
07/10/09 3:18 PM ET

SEATTLE -- The Mariners have traded shortstop Yuniesky Betancourt to the Royals for Minor League pitchers Danny Cortes and Derrick Saito.

The 27-year-old Betancourt, signed as a non-drafted free agent in January 2005 after he fled Cuba, currently is on a rehabilitation assignment with Triple-A Tacoma. He suffered a strained hamstring more than two weeks ago.

At the time, he was batting .250 with 10 doubles, two home runs and 22 RBIs for the Mariners.

Overall, he played in 588 games, batted .279 with 123 doubles, 27 home runs and 202 RBIs. He had 186 strikeouts and 70 walks during his stint with Seattle.

"The opportunity presented itself for us to acquire a pair of talented arms and as we move forward we felt this was the right thing to do at this time," general manager Jack Zduriencik said. "We want to thank Yuni for all he has done for the Mariners and wish him the best of luck in Kansas City."

Cortes will report to Double-A West Tennessee while Saito joins the Mariners' Class-A farm club in Clinton, Iowa.

Cortes, 22, was the Royals Minor League Pitcher of the Year in 2008 and was rated as the Royals' top pitching prospect entering the '09 season by Baseball America. The publication also rated the right-hander as the second-best prospect in the Royals system, as well as naming him as the owner of the system's best fastball and curveball.

He posted a 6-2 record in his past 11 outings (10 starts) after losing his first four decisions.

The 6-foot-6, 216-pound right-hander from Pomana, Calif., and was originally drafted by the White Sox in the seventh round of the First-Year Player Draft in 2005. He was traded to the Royals on July 24, 2006.

The 21-year-old Saito, a left-hander, had a 2-6 record, 4.26 ERA and one save for Class-A Burlington this season. He also started the season slowly, surrendering eight earned runs in his first four outings but just 16 runs over his past 42 1/2 3 innings.

This trade is great news for the M's...got rid of the one of worst SS in baseball for decent pitching prospects

I dreamed many nights that this would happen and it is here!

The only other plays left in my dream that we must ship out are Miguel Batista and Fat Silva, although that is unlikely with his bloated contract

are these guys decent? as bad as betancourt is, is it worth trading him for two guys that will never see the bigs?

and whoa whoa, our backup is cedeno who is hitting #%@^@ .149. mendoza line watch out, cedeno line is lurking.

I would still rather watch Cedeno play than Betancourt...although fat boy has slightly better offense, he still hacks at the first pitch/every pitch andcommits errors too often for my liking, also his defense is significantly behind that of Cedeno's glove. Also keep in mind that for his career Cedeno hasnot been this bad at the plate before and I'm sure that with some more time his numbers will return to his career avgs.

laugh.gif
what makes you say that? everytime cedeno gets in the box he is down 0-2. what plate selection are you seeing with cedeno? his fundamentals look horrible.he looks overmatched. i can't stand his #%@^@ %@ and i really hope Z makes a move for a SS before the deadline. we cannot continue to send this guy signedoutside of safeco to start at shortstop. i'd rather play niehaus at short.

Alrite I've been watching every game just not posting since the M's seem to lose every game after, if they lose tma I might not post until next seasonhaha. Couple things, the bullpen worried me every since last week in NY and this week including tonight they've showed me why. They need to get more armorto post in the bullpen out there to toughen up and return to where they were. Their stuff seems to be there but the control of almost every one of them seemsoff and those couple of inches can lead to some bombs
frown.gif
. However we got two winnable game against Texas and honestly tonight's game worried me the mostsince the M's were throwing out their worse pitcher in Morrow(anyone else besides me think we should move him down to the minors to get some work in andlet Vargas/Olson start?).

On the positive side, if they win the next two I think it'll put the M's in great position for the 2nd half, each day is a day closer for Beltrereturning and if he can return as hot as he was when he left, it'll bolster the lineup a lot I think. I'm going to just cross my fingers the M'scan win the next two and rest up during the break and get hot in the 2nd half.

Also swoosh.com finally posted some Mariners apparel, might have to grab me some.

simple, look at his career avgs and what he is hitting right now...not really hard to see how much he is struggling right now but he can't possibly get anyworse and has the potential to get better

Back
Top Bottom