OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

AVNR :pimp: no position but really nice move today. Was a ton of UOA on Friday, calls and puts. Like they knew the announcement would be made.

Using the at the money straddles to come up with measured move targets/trading ranges has been helpful. GILD bounced this morning right off the bottom of that implied range.

did TWTR have a flash crash :nerd: those 47.56 prints. thought about taking a put fly in this one for next week, 51-49-47, kinda glad i didn't since i think this flies through that range (higher or lower) before the 26th.

I hardly ever post in this thread, but thought this would be substantive to some of you.

Every incremental day that goes past I have this feeling a little bit more. I think that Silicon Valley as a whole or that the venture-capital community or startup community is taking on an excessive amount of risk right now. Unprecedented since ‘'99. In some ways less silly than '99 and in other ways more silly than in '99. I love the Buffett quote because it lays it out. No one's fearful, everyone's greedy, and it will eventually end. And there are reasons, which might take all night to explain, why this business is cyclical over time, and the more chance you have to see different cycles and to see how it slips away, you can see it.

Anyone here use Suretrader? Thoughts...

Would like to hear a recommended brokerage, willing to open account for $1500 for the time being..

$50,000 account, 1 trade a month that nets 10% compounding that for 5 years leads to $15 million.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Does anyone in here pay for any subscriptions or follow any so called "gurus" online... Is it worth it?

Depends what you're looking for. Most suck. Me and Wiz both use Investors Underground, and I've signed up for KeeneontheMarket the past two months since they've had deals and I wanted to get better at options. I'm satisfied with both experiences, as I've gotten better as a trader as a result.

I am looking to learn. I have 2k and I want to learn about the market and eventually get into trading/investing as a full time thing. Always been amazed by numbers and finance so I want a career change.

****** up playing a bounce on SPY today. Added too much too quickly in some 200.50 calls and rode them down from .46 average to .15. Futures bounced back so I was able to get out for a $200 loss after being down $2,000. Could've had it for a small profit if I waited another 15 minutes but I had enough. Was a bad job on my behalf adding to a loser and not leaving room to add once the tide turned and a trend started to form. Have no problem starting into a wash out, but I can't be using more than a starter until there's a higher low to base risk off of or it starts consolidating.

Added in too much at the first x without a plan really when I should've only been adding around that second x or higher as it worked.
UVti2x.png

Wanted that move back to VWAP which was the right idea but bad sizing/no stop cost me from making this a good trade.

how were you going to short an IPO?
Borrows were $414 from what I heard. Worth it if you nailed the top, but most people don't have access to Centerpoint.

Good Yhoo short, Wiz.

Last edited:
I am looking to learn. I have 2k and I want to learn about the market and eventually get into trading/investing as a full time thing. Always been amazed by numbers and finance so I want a career change.
I'd say get Nate's DVD before you start: InvestorsLive Textbook Trading DVD. It's a streaming dvd and it's pricey, but if you want to be a serious day trader, it might save you money in the long run. Had I watched the DVD in February, I wouldn't have blew up my account. That's the other thing. Be smart and patient. Keep saving your money and keep studying. Trading is all about risk management. It's not your wins that make you, but your losses. You need to have a plan and a reason to trade. You need to know where to place your stop and you need to respect it. You shouldn't be adding to a loser ever unless that was your plan from the get-go (take a starter and average in).

Read these 7 rules:
http://bullsonwallstreet.com/7-trad...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
Bulls are pretty decent educators as well. They have a bootcamp coming up and they're usually willing to work with you if you need a payment plan for the fee.

90% of traders fail. It's a game designed to chop you out and leave you broke and desperate. But it doesn't have to be that way. You can be in the 10% that trade well consistently. You just need to study, learn how to create a plan and follow it. Never break your rules. They're there to protect you and keep you in the game. Losses happen, it's your job to keep them small so when you have winning trades, the losses don't absorb the majority of those gains.

This book is pricey, but it helps, especially if you're a new trader.
Amazon product ASIN 1598795805
Learn your time frame. Do you want to day trade, swing trade, or invest? Learn technical analysis and if your time frame is on the longer end of the spectrum, learn fundies. I don't really deal with fundamental analysis because I don't buy and hold stocks. I'll swing trade some options, but more often than not, I wanna be cash for the most part at the end of my day. It's easier for me to sleep at night that way.

Don't play earnings reports or catalysts naked. And by naked, I mean with common stock.

Instead, if you want to play these events, you'll be better off doing so with basic call/put spreads and butterflies so you won't be prone to drops in volatility or if you're wrong, it won't cost you too much. This is a little more advanced, but it's worth knowing. I got my *** kicked bag holding FSLR from the end of December till Idk ******* March when they had their earnings report. Week of the report, my shares went from being underwater to in the green, but instead of using this chance to bail out, I rolled the dice and took that common into the report. The stock shot down 10 bucks in a matter of minutes and the following morning I closed my position for a $4,000 loss. A month later at analyst day the stock ripped 20 bucks and I had to watch it like a **** instead of cheerleading. It was a bad job all around because I bag held, I didn't use a stop, I didn't have a plan and I added to a loser.

The market is all about psychology. And you yourself need to be zen in order to excel. You need to be clear headed, you need to trust your intuition and your plan, and you need to stay level. You can't have highs and lows. Don't get emotional, be stoic. The only time you should be afraid is when you take a trade without a plan. If you know your stop, if you know how to read a chart, you'll have no reason to be afraid.

Last edited:
SureTrader has always done the job for me. DAS is needed. Love the iphone app also. Sometimes I make a trade from bed if being lazy (which I do not recommend.. it works for me pre-market often) or away from my desk. Good borrows. Has a lot to offer for shorts but not everything. Fees are okay. If you are making money it is just the cost of doing business. In the beginning I got chopped up and blew up a few small accounts like yours. I was like a kid in the candy store. This was the first time I could short stocks. I invested in some longs before but never was able to sell short due to PDT. And I love shorting stocks. That's how I was taught. Take it slow and remember there will always be another opportunity, you just have to be prepared with a plan to make money

Back
Top Bottom