Possibly the biggest L anyone can take.. 750LI

Originally Posted by NoTurninBack

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

Originally Posted by NoTurninBack

Paying it off is not a problem its the fact that she has only had the car 18 months and this happens. It only had 38k miles on it she never drove it. She told me she was just driving down the freeway and smelled smoke so she started to pull over and by the time she got to the emergency lane the car was filling with black smoke she jumped out before it went up in flames. The only light on the dash was the ABS. She had it scheduled to be dropped of this pasted friday to get the brakes serviced. I was wondering if anyone knew of any recalls or where I look up to see if there were any.

i think there are a few for that series, i would have to check tomorrow at work.
It would be greatly appreciated I am going to talk to my lawyer tomorrow and see what he has to say.. If there was a recall would BMW be liable or will they say its her fault for not taking it in to get serviced for that specific recall?

Looks like there was a recall, but not for electrical problems: http://www.motortrend.com/used_cars/11/bmw/7_series/recalls/.  If they did a recall and she didn't take the car in then it would be her fault, but since they didn't, they should still be liable.  Although, I'm not sure if the car has to be under warranty for them to be liable...

Originally Posted by Luong1209

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

yikes... and this is one if the reasons I keep a fire extinguisher in my trunk
I rather carry a hammer.
replace your hammer with one of these the hammer will just bounce off your window..
She was never notified of any recalls, the shop she took it to get serviced at had nothing but ASE certified mechanics and master mechanics. The battery was just replaced apparently the computer has to be programmed when the battery is  replaced..

laugh.gif
7 series.

I sort of feel bad for her, but then again she brought this upon herself...next time she should be more responsible and always make sure her insurance is up to date....She would have been fine, financially.

Originally Posted by dankenstien88

THERE WAS A RECALL ON MANY OF THE LARGER "BIG BOY" BIMMERS.

I MADE A THREAD ABOUT THIS RECALL MONTHS AGO.

SAYS 2008+ THOUGH, NOT 2007.

IS THE CAR ACTUALLY TITLED AN 08 ? ALOT OF PEOPLE GO BY THE DATE ON THE DOORJAM AND THAT CAN OFTEN BE A YEAR BEFORE THE TRUE MODEL YEAR.

http://niketalk.com/topic/319584/Attention-all-2008-2011-BMW-5-7-X6-and-X5-owners

From what I understand recalls go by the date of manufacture in the door jam not the year on the title. The manufacture figures out when they started to install the faulty parts and put out a notice stating something along the lines of..  "to the owners of vehicles manufactured from xx/xxxx trough xx/xxxx _______could be wrong with your vehicle please bring it in to one of our dealerships for service."
I will look into in though hope your link helps if she does have to lawyer up..

laugh.gif
Typical. Someone with poor credit driving a BMW, a SEVEN series at that. This is all kinds of backwards.

Originally Posted by finnns2003

laugh.gif
Typical. Someone with poor credit driving a BMW, a SEVEN series at that. This is all kinds of backwards.

Yep.Also, where is KayCurrency right now?Honestly I don't feel bad, she drivin a 7 an aint keep up with the insurance? A8>7

laugh.gif
i think the "biggest" L would be if she was trapped in the car

this is just a stupid L...driving a 7 around with no insurance? silly...

Tough situation.  I guess parting it out and then paying the rest is the only option if there was no recall.  Or if you contact bmw and they don't help you out.
I understand not wanting to pay out of pocket even if you can.  But letting the insurance lapse was a huge error.  If you can afford a car that costs $100 per oil change.  You should be able to afford car insurance.  But if she only owes 10k on a 75k '07car.  She prob just has the money and doesn't want to spend it.  GL op update us with what happens 

she better call a lawyer. insurance or no insurance, a 2007 car shouldnt go up in flames like that

first thing i would of done was get insurance back on the car.

then i would file the claim after a week or so. is there a police report?.... 

this is bmw's fault. depending how many miles is on the car.  there has to be a warranty...   its basically a new car.

Originally Posted by Al Audi

Originally Posted by finnns2003

laugh.gif

Yep.Also, where is KayCurrency right now?Honestly I don't feel bad, she drivin a 7 an aint keep up with the insurance? A8>7
That's actually worse than the poor credit. Speaks volumes.

I would contact BMW and see if anything can be done cause their product was faulty. If they don't do anything though, ask a lawyer and see if they can do anything.

I would think BMW is responsible...even if they say they aren't, they don't want that bad press, it clearly can happen to anyone. She needs to get corporate on the line ASAP.

For the time being, I think you have proposed the best solution by selling what she can. Did she have gap insurance with her finance company? I hate to hear about that lapse BS. Best thing about it is that she was not in the car.

Thats cray.

I don't think gap insurance would cover anything because they would cover
whatever insurance didnt and she didnt have any insurance on the car.

GL.

Originally Posted by Kingtre

laugh.gif
i think the "biggest" L would be if she was trapped in the car

this is just a stupid L...driving a 7 around with no insurance? silly...

Irresponsible. I feel bad that her car caught fire, but how do you ride around KNOWING the risks w/ no insurance? Makes no sense. Totally irresponsible.

*Someone explain this insurance "lapse" to me.  For mine (with Allstate), they automatically renew it (make deduction out of my checking account) every 6 months.  I NEVER have to worry about remembering to pay it because they do all the work.  I get a notification via email that on a certain date, **** amount will be deducted.  That's it. 

Seems like she couldn't afford to drive the car in the first place and wanted to floss...just my .02

Originally Posted by leothegod

first thing i would of done was get insurance back on the car.

then i would file the claim after a week or so. is there a police report?.... 

this is bmw's fault. depending how many miles is on the car.  there has to be a warranty...   its basically a new car.

you guys dont read at all ? Lol Op already said that there is an arson report.

Originally Posted by Luong1209

yikes... and this is one if the reasons I keep a fire extinguisher in my trunk
I rather carry a hammer.
eh.. I have a center punch and an emergency seat belt cutter.
roll.gif
For some reason I automatically assumed Luong was talking about a gun.

laugh.gif
at all the amateur insurance fraudsters in here....yea put insurance on it...then call the next day and tell them it burned up...see how far that gets you
30t6p3b.gif
do you think they just toss checks in the mail based on your word? esp in a suspect case like this

Back
Top Bottom